Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
That's loving weird, especially since I bot regularly and haven't been banned yet on this account with this bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

lucifirius posted:

That's loving weird, especially since I bot regularly and haven't been banned yet on this account with this bot.

I've looked some on reddit and it seems like it's happened to some others. Saw a guy tweeting at them as well saying he was just banned. I sent an appeal but don't have much hope of it doing anything. Oh well, I guess one less bottomless time sink is not a bad thing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

loudog999 posted:

I've looked some on reddit and it seems like it's happened to some others. Saw a guy tweeting at them as well saying he was just banned. I sent an appeal but don't have much hope of it doing anything. Oh well, I guess one less bottomless time sink is not a bad thing.

If you're looking for a new mmo, I'm currently evangelizing for Dungeon Fighter Online, cause it's currently doing an event that puts you at level cap in about 3-5 hours and gives you endgame quality gear in about 5 days of 30 minutes of play, and full on endgame gear with another couple weeks of play.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

If you're looking for a new mmo, I'm currently evangelizing for Dungeon Fighter Online, cause it's currently doing an event that puts you at level cap in about 3-5 hours and gives you endgame quality gear in about 5 days of 30 minutes of play, and full on endgame gear with another couple weeks of play.

Ill try anything if its free so why not.. Im downloading it now. Still have Guild Wars 2 that I am trying to get into as well.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
It doesn't sound like you've played much of either osrs or rs3 so why not make a new account?

E: unless you specifically meant you've only logged in a few times in mobile

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah that's what I meant. I put a number of hours in R3 a couple years ago. I think I may have been in the goon guild. But really, it's not the fact that this account is banned and I could create another. I just don't want to do that, actually put time in, and then the same thing happens.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

loudog999 posted:

Ill try anything if its free so why not.. Im downloading it now. Still have Guild Wars 2 that I am trying to get into as well.

Thread is here. Discord link in the op.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

loudog999 posted:

That happened to mine as well over the summer. I only noticed when I got an email saying subscription cancelled.

I submitted enough account history evidence that it did get overturned after a couple of days so you may be able to get it back.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Getting your account unbanned is pretty simple, I've had it done like four times over the years. As long as you personally didn't do anything wrong, then it's very likely your password got picked up by some shady gold sellers off a database sweep and they logged in to use your character for message spamming or something.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Hopefully it gets unbanned. Customer support isn't the easiest thing to navigate on the website, the only appeal form I found didn't have any space for me to explain anything, just email address and user name. If all else fails I'll probably just start a new character. I was enjoying playing on my tablet while watching tv.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I tried to login into this, and god drat the ui is tiny! And apparently there's no way to scale it up. My eyes!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
It's a UI for ants

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
Make styluses cool again

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Vilgefartz posted:

I tried to login into this, and god drat the ui is tiny! And apparently there's no way to scale it up. My eyes!

On PC? If you aren't using a client like Runelite or Konduit you're doing it wrong.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Hako posted:

On PC? If you aren't using a client like Runelite or Konduit you're doing it wrong.

PC? Do you not have phones?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
First impressions of the rework now that the beta is out. This is so much better than the old mining and smithing mechanics. It really should have been in the game earlier.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 13, 2018

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
There is literally nothing that will bring me back to RS3, but honestly from just glancing at visuals from the rework and the idea of a mining and smithing rework it all sounds really cool and fun.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Zodack posted:

There is literally nothing that will bring me back to RS3, but honestly from just glancing at visuals from the rework and the idea of a mining and smithing rework it all sounds really cool and fun.

rs3 keeps trying to be more like wow or something but really OSRS succeeds because it's peak runescape

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
mmo players are terrified of change even when the change is unambiguously good

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
RS3 has steadily come closer and closer to an actual video game, OS is a chatroom where i can spend hours training to be called a cuck in new and fantastical locations

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
what happened to clan chat on OSRS? Did everyone go? :smith:

fool_of_sound posted:

mmo players are terrified of change even when the change is unambiguously good

I put up with OSRS's hell of a grind because even though my 2006 character got ported to RS3, it just feels so different that all my progress on my level 79 account seems meaningless. It's basically a different game and my feeble grandpa mind can't make sense of it all.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

buglord posted:

Still here, we're just not always on at once. There's usually at least one other person on to talk to, more if you join too.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

People in Rs3 can join the same clan chat (called "Friend Chat") and they frankly should if they're not using any other one. (it's enn480 [change starts with you])

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

buglord posted:

I’m in there a lot during the day and regularly see like 2-3 other people online. We just need to get more people on who play at different times lol

Enemu
May 31, 2014
The OSRS CC has been pretty active when I'm on!

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

the future is coming

Thread Soundtrack

:siren::siren::siren:Join our Discord Channel!:siren::siren::siren:

Welcome back to RuneScape! Or more accurately, welcome back to 8th Grade!

Thread 7 can be found here.
Thread 6 can be found here.
Thread 5 can be found here.
Thread 4 can be found here.
Thread 3 can be found here.
Thread 2 can be found here.
Thread 1 can be found here.

Table of Contents:
[P1] Introduction
[P2] What the hell is a RuneScape?
[P3] How am I paying for this?
[P4] Which one should I play?
[P5] Skills
[P6] Quests
[P7] Playing with goons
[P8] Clan Citadel
[P9] Guides
[P10] Extras

[P1] Introduction

RuneScape is one of the longest running MMORPGs in existence, first releasing in 2001 and receiving regular updates since! There are two different versions that you can play depending on what exactly you want from the game.

Do you want an MMO that's been updated continuously over the past 15+ years, with all sorts of quality-of-life improvements and lessons learned from evolving game standards (for better or worse)? Then you might want to try RuneScape 3!

Or are you looking for a game that's just as you remember it back in 2007, with the original grind preserved and with a nostalgic art style? Then perhaps Old School RuneScape is more your speed!

[P2] What the hell is a RuneScape?

RuneScape is a fantasy MMORPG known for a wide variety of skills to train and quests to complete. What sets these things apart from your standard MMO however is the thought and care put into both of these things; with skills you've got fishing and mining, but also construction and thieving. And the quests are, for the most part, unique and play differently from one another. You won't be asked to go and find 20 bear asses in this game, if nothing else!

When you first log in to either game, you'll find yourself on Tutorial Island. This will introduce you to the free-to-play skills and let you get a grasp of the controls for the first time. Once you finish, all of Gielinor is your oyster! There's pretty much no railroading once you enter the main game, so you'll find yourself free to pursue whatever sounds good. Raise your skills, complete quests, make money, or just go run around. Do whatever you feel like! Once you sign up for an account, you can use it to access either game, though progress is separate.

If you want more information of how to do these things, there are two wikis dedicated to both games. For RS3, you can go to https://runescape.wiki/. For OSRS, you'll find info at https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/. These have extensive guides on pretty much anything you can think of for both games, so if you're stuck on what to do it can't hurt to check out.

[P3] How am I paying for this?
all prices in USD

Both games feature an extensive free-to-play area for you to run around in. Not every feature is available, but in OSRS alone you have 15 skills to level, 20 quests to complete, and roughly a fourth of the whole game world to check out. This doesn't sound like much, but it's actually a decent amount of content! Each skill can be leveled fully to its cap in F2P, and the quests available have a variety of difficulties and experiences. It's essentially a complete package in a condensed form!

But if you're willing to shell out the money for a membership, you'll find a much bigger wealth of gameplay available to you. More skills, over 130 quests, minigames, new ways to train existing skills, there is actually too much to name here. It costs $10.99 if you pay monthly, a little less if you go with 3 or 12 month options. Once you're able to make a consistent earning in game though, you may be able to turn your in-game cash into playtime with bonds.

Bonds are available to purchase in both games at $6.99 and can be redeemed for 14 days of gameplay. The real use of these, however, is that they can be traded in-game for gold. I can't actually give an accurate estimate because there is no established in-game price; players choose how much to sell a bond for, and it fluctuates fairly often. If you're able to make enough money however, you'll be able to sustain membership without actually paying any real dollars. For more info, check out this page.

Also, subscribing to one game also gives you membership benefits in the other, so don't feel obligated to make a this-or-that choice in what game you decide to play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9zSvzIGETY

[P4] Which one should I play?

It depends on your familiarity with the game. RS3 is the more modern version of the game as it's been actively developed since the first release. It has a much higher variety of content compared to OSRS and also features a completely revamped combat and fighting system using abilities. It also features plenty of microtransactions in the form of cosmetic gear and animations, as well as the lootbox equivalent Treasure Hunter. Treasure Hunter is an activity that you can access once (twice if you're a member) per day, and gives out crafting materials, cosmetic items, and experience in various forms. You'll also receive entries just for playing the game normally, but you can also purchase additional rolls on the table for real currency or through bonds. They also run limited time promotions that usually give gear only for a set period very often. TH is not an essential part of the game by any definition but its sole existence irks a lot of people.

OSRS is based off of a snapshot of a build from 2007, and now exists as an entirely separate branch of the game. Skills are harder to train and even getting around the world isn't as simple as it is in RS3. However, if you played the game in the past and are looking for "that" experience again, you'll get more of that here. The combat in OSRS is simplified with the only abilities being locked to mid- and late-game weapons, which makes it easier to pick up and learn compared to its sister game. OSRS can be a more punishing game for those that aren't ready for it, but a lot of people find it a much more satisfying experience compared to RS3. It also features no microtransactions other than bonds, and has a fully-featured mobile port accessible to Android and Apple devices.

It's all up to you though; both games have a free-to-play portion, and as previously stated subscribing to one game will also give you membership benefits in the other.

[P5] Skills
:10bux: indicates a member's only skill.
indicates a skill exclusive to RS3

Attack - Determines melee combat accuracy and ability to equip (most) melee weapons. Melee combat is strong against ranged, but weak against magic.

Strength - Determines how hard you hit with melee combat, and whether or not you can lift boulders above your head.

Defence - Your chance of avoiding taking damage, as well as what armours you’re capable of equipping.

Ranged - Your skill with ranged weapons, from bows to crossbows, and even chakrams for the Xenas at heart. Ranged is weak to melee, but strong against magic.

Prayer - How much the gods of Gilenor will grant benefits to you. Burying, offering and scattering bits of dead monsters and players will get this stat up.

Magic - A skill that works in both combat and skilling. You can cast spells using runes to hurt monsters, enchant jewelry, teleport and more. Magic is strong against melee but weak against ranged.

Runecrafting - Craft runes with rune essences, gain XP. Used to be far more tedious prior to the introduction of the Runespan and its Wicked Robes.

Construction :10bux: - Build your own house in a magic portal, where you can show off your wealth, store items, and house pets.

Dungeoneering – More a minigame than a skill, it involves you and up to four other players delving deep underground butt-naked, using the skills you have to survive floor after floor as you go deeper and deeper. Fun content with great rewards.

Constitution – Your health. If it hits 0, you die. Raise it to improve your HP and healing from various foods.

Agility :10bux: – Arguably the worst skill in the game, click on obstacle courses thousands of times to gain the ability to run across walls, but slip on the same log over and over.

Herblore :10bux: – Highly expensive, highly useful, clean herbs and make them into potions that give all sorts of powerful boosts and benefits.

Thieving :10bux: – Pick pockets of NPCs, get punched in the face, repeat. Loot urns in a pyramid, get bitten by snakes, repeat.

Crafting – Create armour out of dragon hides and mushroom spores, or create fancy jewelry with gold and gems. A somewhat versatile skill.

Fletching :10bux: (F2P in RS3) – A skill that lets you make the weapons and ammo you need for the Ranged skill. Cheap and even profitable, but very tedious.

Slayer :10bux: - Compliments combat in general, get assigned by Slayer Masters to commit genocide on different groups of monsters, some you can’t kill without gimmicks or higher levels in the skill.

Hunter :10bux: - Poach and trap wildlife for their hides and bones, or capture various implings in jars like Pokemon.

Divination :10bux: - Collect divine energy and turn it into passive bonuses such as the ability to bank resources as you gather them or create temporary resource hotspots in the form of divine locations.

Mining - A skill entirely devoted to swinging your pick at rocks. Click on rocks over and over to get various ores.

Smithing - The complimentary skill to mining. Smelt the ores you mined into bars to create billions of metal armour and weapons to flood the economy with.

Fishing - Fish thousands of tuna, sharks, eels and lobsters in an attempt to extinct all marine life.

Cooking – Cook pizzas, pies, meat and more – or burn it all with the grace of a goon.

Firemaking – Originally a test skill, burn as many logs as you can in an attempt to burn a hole in the ozone layer.

Woodcutting – Clearcut your way through millions of trees to burn or fletch them, or sell it to others willing to forsake Mother Earth.

Farming :10bux: – The ultimate afk skill, plant trees, herbs, bushes and other greenery to harvest and pick for profit in a world where papayas and coconuts have more value than gold bars.

Summoning :10bux: – Collect charms, combine them with spirit pouches, spirit shards and a tertiary ingredient to summon creatures to do your bidding, whether that’s to hold your junk, brawl with your foes, or get stuck behind fences.

Invention :10bux: – An "elite" skill, requiring level 80 in Divination, Crafting, and Smithing to even begin training. Disassemble items to receive components which can be used to enhance gear and tools. Expensive as hell to train, but can result in higher dps and a better training experience over most skills.

[P6] Quests

As previously stated, one thing that sets RS apart from other MMOs is the variety of quests available to you. Each one is unique with very little in the way of fetch quests. OSRS has over 130 quests, while RS3 has over 200(!) of them (most of the OSRS quests are also available in RS3, though it has some exclusives). And like with the F2P quests, there is a very wide variety of difficulties and experiences waiting for you. Solve a music-themed murder mystery in One Piercing Note! Explore a Resident Evil-themed horror mansion in Broken Home! Ask yourself "Why did Jagex make this" in Bringing Home the Bacon! The possibilities are endless, as long as your expectations peak out at about 200. Quests are worth doing because most of them have decent storylines, but they also give you bulk experience in the end in the skills that you use and can unlock new and exciting ways to train. Some of them, such as Plague's End, unlock entire swaths of the game world!

[P7] Playing with Goons

RuneScape 3

After you finish or skip Tutorial Island, you can join the clan chat at any time. To do this, you'll first need to open this window. Hover your mouse over the button that looks like two people.

Then, you'll need to join the clan chat as a guest. Click the little green circle on the bottom right of this window.

A message box will appear asking you to type in a name. Type in "Goonscape".

Once you're in the chat, you'll be able to talk as a guest and ask for an invite. To do this, another member will need to come to your location and physically invite you. Once they do this, you'll see this in your chat (with the name replaced with whoever's inviting you).

Go ahead and click it to open this window.

Once you accept the invite, you're officially part of the clan and will automatically join the chat when the game starts. If you're having trouble finding someone who can invite you, ask around on our Discord, and you'll usually find someone willing to help.

Our clan caps out at 500 members, though we don't have that many active players. As a result, if you haven't been in the chat for a while, you may be kicked to make room. You can rejoin using the same method, so long as you weren't banned for being a dumbass (don't be a dumbass).

Old School RuneScape

OSRS also has its own clan chat, as the system is separate from RS3's. The steps to join it are different however do to the way it works, first click this button at the bottom of your interface.

Then, hit "Join Chat" and type in "enn480" when prompted.

And that's it! There are no guest chats or anything like that, that's all you need to join the channel.

A note for RS3 players: You can also join this channel, and you should! The chat is referred to as a "Friend Chat" in that game, and is joined in a similar manner to joining that clan chat but without the invite process and you type in "enn480" instead of Goonscape. Joining this regardless of whatever game you play ensures that it will have people there, so it won't look empty. Please join it!

[P8] Clan Citadel
this section is exclusive to RS3 players
it's also member's only :10bux:

Our clan citadel is a floating fortress in a sky that doesn't actually do anything useful. Every week it requires a certain amount of resources gathered inside of it to not deteriorate, which is free and not terribly difficult to do. Best of all, we'll pay you for reaching your weekly cap! When you collect 2700 worth of resources, you'll be capped and eligible for 3 million gp worth of pay. Contact me or Hinze in Discord with a picture of your cap in order to claim payment, though fair warning we might not be immediately available. You can start doing this a week after you join the clan; Jagex's rules, not ours. You can find this by entering the giant portal just south of Falador.

[P9] Guides

These are some goon-made guides for some content that you can do in the game. A lot of these were made years ago so recommendations might not be completely accurate, but for the most part they should hold up.

Themata posted:

Google Docs with some old nifty guides

Here are a couple of Goon Made Text Guides compiled in a Google Doc in the following order:
- Chunderstorm’s Goonscape Mumble Guide
- Manyorcas’s Quest Guide edited by Joachim
- Augster’s Dungeoneering Guide
- Magres’s Barbarian Assault Guide
- WillyGinkers & Pizza Pirate's Supplementary Barbarian Assault Defenders Guide
- Desuwa's Vis Wax Guide
- Pizza Pirate's GWD Bandos Solo Guide
- Pizza Pirate's Guthixian Cache Guide
- Agrippa's Newbie Prayer Guide
- Agrippa's Newbie Money Guide
- Pizza Lady's Bank Cleaning Guide w/ Von's Addendum
- Agrippa's Juju Potion Guide

Link to Pizza Lady's Improved QBD Guide

Farming Protection Image Guide

Player Owned Ports Crew Guide

Player Owned Ports Adventurers Guide

Vis Wax Profit Calculator

[P10] Extras

This is the end of the standard OP. The rest of this post space will be dedicated to various images that you may or may not enjoy.

Risque and erotic pizza porn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJMOc5cGVeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMxkk2rFEyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWyYUjTQoZ0

Classic GoonScape Art

Simsmagic fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 29, 2018

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I can only imagine Bringing Home the Bacon was the result of some collective fever dream.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Artificer posted:

I can only imagine Bringing Home the Bacon was the result of some collective fever dream.

Considering that one of the quest rewards is unlocking the song Glutton for Nourishment (sung by Mod Mark and a choir of jmods):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJzVAQ_EFz8

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

friend of mine just pulled this out of that monthly loot portal at the GE:

it's a black recolor of one of the new armor sets from the mining/smithing rework that isn't out yet, the level 70 set, as a cosmetic override

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That is rad as hell.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Does the rework give any reason to do it when you're already 99 in both

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

fishmech posted:

Does the rework give any reason to do it when you're already 99 in both

You can spend 8 hours making the new T90 craftable armor

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You can sell it yeah, but getting to 90 or whatever it takes should really be enough of a timegate.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Good news, after about a week or two my banned account was given back to me. I'll finally be able to play again after work tonight.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

loudog999 posted:

Good news, after about a week or two my banned account was given back to me. I'll finally be able to play again after work tonight.

Still got the bank intact or starting fresh?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Subliminal Ninja posted:

Still got the bank intact or starting fresh?

It looks like everything is there, but I do have an inventory full of what looks like bow strings that say members only items. I'm not sure what they are or if I got them or not, it's been a long time since I was a member. I didn't really have time to look. Will look again tonight.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What should I prioritize on in OSRS for faster travel? I’m pretty low skilled so I don’t have access to fairy rings or many agility shortcuts yet. My magic level is like, 2, so no teleporting yet.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

buglord posted:

What should I prioritize on in OSRS for faster travel? I’m pretty low skilled so I don’t have access to fairy rings or many agility shortcuts yet. My magic level is like, 2, so no teleporting yet.

To be honest you should just power through everything you need to get fairy rings.

Getting there though, there are a lot of consumable options that cost a fairly trivial amount of gold per use and are helpful to basically turn your bank into a teleporter. Rings of Dueling, teleport spell tabs, etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

buglord posted:

Go grind the gently caress out of agility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fishmech posted:

Go grind the gently caress out of agility.

Gross