Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

https://twitter.com/CATargetBot/status/1063235610687692800

well that's it folks, we ran the table in socal (plus CA-10)

also we look to have 59-60 seats out of 80 in the state assembly (picking up seats in oceanside, irvine/costa mesa, rancho cucamonga, and santa clarita, and maaaaaybe the tri-valley in the east bay) and 28-29 seats out of 40 in the state senate (two central california districts plus maybe little saigon/east long beach)

:laffo: Even Young Kim might lose now. She was ahead almost the entire time they were tabulating votes. Does this mean a bitch tweet from Trump or does he say gently caress it because it was an Asian woman if things stay the way they are? Either way I love how much the Democrats continued to run up the score for the midterms. It feels like almost everyone Trump bragged about winning because of him has now ultimately lost anyway almost just to spite the guy. Does anyone have a tally of how many people he endorsed just fell flat on their face as of now. I feel like it was something like 9 of 37 or something actually won their races and that was before some of them well...didn't.

Kale fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

I would bet that Assange has a long list of people who want him vanished

at the top of this list, is julian assange

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Kale posted:

:laffo: Even Young Kim might lose now. She was ahead almost the entire time they were tabulating votes. Does this mean a bitch tweet from Trump or does he say gently caress it because it was an Asian woman if things stay the way they are? Either way I love how much the Democrats continued to run up the score for the midterms. It feels like almost everyone Trump bragged about winning because of him has now ultimately lost anyway almost just to spite the guy. Does anyone have a tally of how many people he endorsed just fell flat on their face as of now. I feel like it was something like 9 of 37 or something actually won their races and that was before some of them well...didn't.

young kim's already taken the cue from dear leader and started :qq:-ing about how counting all the mail-ins is actually voter fraud because :hurr:

(and for that matter so did mimi walters when she fell behind katie porter this past tuesday night)

speaking of trump endorsements, here's a more immediately satisfying scalp we got:

https://twitter.com/DanaRohrabacher/status/1059336000927805440

:dunkedon:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

young kim's already taken the cue from dear leader and started :qq:-ing about how counting all the mail-ins is actually voter fraud because :hurr:

(and for that matter so did mimi walters when she fell behind katie porter this past tuesday night)

speaking of trump endorsements, here's a more immediately satisfying scalp we got:

https://twitter.com/DanaRohrabacher/status/1059336000927805440

:dunkedon:

What is #KAG? It seems to be exclusively used by people sporting persecution crosses

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Keep America Great.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1063410185832673281?s=19

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1063457318812164096

This is gonna be good :allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this judge was a donald trump appointee to make it clear just how open and shut this case was

he also called the trump white house liars

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1063452403712884738

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ahaha, the judge was appointed by Trump.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

marshmonkey posted:

Ahaha, the judge was appointed by Trump.

Inject this into my veins.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

D.C. votes to restrict short term rentals like AirBnB

So the D.C. Council passed a bill to restrict renting your home out for services like AirBnB. If I am reading this right, you have to actually live in the home in order to rent out through services like AirBnB. Overall I think this is a net positive because in the Bay Area I know there are slum lordy types that buy up housing and renovate it to be used for these types of services and skirt the regulations for motels, hotels, and other hospitality industries. Also, excuse me while I laugh uproariously that some critics are whining that you can't use your second home for short-term rentals now. gently caress you if you have a second home that sits empty most of the time and there are people in D.C. that have no home.

A lot of other states and cities are following suit with laws like this too. Hence why I put it in this thread.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

friendbot2000 posted:

So the D.C. Council passed a bill to restrict renting your home out for services like AirBnB. If I am reading this right, you have to actually live in the home in order to rent out through services like AirBnB. Overall I think this is a net positive because in the Bay Area I know there are slum lordy types that buy up housing and renovate it to be used for these types of services and skirt the regulations for motels, hotels, and other hospitality industries. Also, excuse me while I laugh uproariously that some critics are whining that you can't use your second home for short-term rentals now. gently caress you if you have a second home that sits empty most of the time and there are people in D.C. that have no home.

A lot of other states and cities are following suit with laws like this too. Hence why I put it in this thread.

It's topical,despite what republicans insist, DC is part of the US.

Maybe it'll help non rich congressmen find places to stay.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It appears that the Florida "undervote" problem was ballot design, not machine error. As a practical matter, this means that it is incredibly unlikely that Nelson will prevail in the hand recount, because his only realistic path to winning was for those undervotes to actually be machine errors that could get counted on a hand recount:

https://twitter.com/pemalevy/status/1063445440782311425

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

It's topical,despite what republicans insist, DC is part of the US.

Maybe it'll help non rich congressmen find places to stay.

I am kind of hoping it will help housing costs in general. It remains to be seen, but I think it is a step forward in filling in loopholes.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

My city has this law but doesn't bother enforcing it. I'd wait to see if they actually go after people before getting hopeful.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

friendbot2000 posted:

many of the nice neighborhoods near downtown New Orleans are hollowed-out shitholes filled with 20something people partying, because AirBnB means you can make your year's mortgage payment from approximately six weeks total of rentals during mardi gras/jazzfest season. any additional rentals outside festival season are just profit

they're doing token regulations now, but they're bullshit meant solely to defuse local protests, and the damage is probably too severe for the local housing stock to recover in the next decade.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

friendbot2000 posted:

San Diego is trying to do this but it's been a fight.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

quote:

Abrams mulls asking a court to order a second vote in Georgia governor’s race

"Georgia Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams is considering asking a court to intervene in her race against Republican Brian Kemp and order an extraordinary second round of voting in response to charges of election irregularities."

"If Abrams moves forward, she would rely on a provision in Georgia law that has never been utilized in such a high-profile contest. It allows losing candidates to challenge results based on “misconduct, fraud or irregularities . . . sufficient to change or place in doubt the results."

"To prevail in a court challenge, Abrams would have to demonstrate that irregularities were widespread enough that at least 18,000 Georgians either had their ballots thrown out or were not allowed to vote."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...4fed_story.html

JasonV fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 16, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Whoa this could actually happen, no wonder every 4th email is from her asking for lawyer money.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oracle posted:

Whoa this could actually happen, no wonder every 4th email is from her asking for lawyer money.

There is not a chance in hell this is happening. The analysis a court will basically do is "well, anything you're pointing to you challenged beforehand and courts oked it, or you knew was the case and let the election go forward anyway without challenging it, so...no." No court is going to be interested in doing this, even if we are all aware the election was a farce.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

It appears that the Florida "undervote" problem was ballot design, not machine error. As a practical matter, this means that it is incredibly unlikely that Nelson will prevail in the hand recount, because his only realistic path to winning was for those undervotes to actually be machine errors that could get counted on a hand recount:

https://twitter.com/pemalevy/status/1063445440782311425
After we're done with our ballot, we place the ballot into a scanning machine. Why can't this machine spit out an error, and verify that the voter didn't want to vote in whatever race was left blank?

I know it's a pandoras box, but I'm starting to think that the election needs to be federalized, or at least state level. These podunk supervisors are screwing it up all over the place.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ummel posted:

After we're done with our ballot, we place the ballot into a scanning machine. Why can't this machine spit out an error, and verify that the voter didn't want to vote in whatever race was left blank?

I know it's a pandoras box, but I'm starting to think that the election needs to be federalized, or at least state level. These podunk supervisors are screwing it up all over the place.

It's probably impossible to fully federalize (and maybe not constitutional?), and even turning it over to the state level would be difficult because of local races and whatnot, but something needs to be done, because people will intentionally exploit this sort of undervote issue by design in the future in certain localities if they think it will work and they can get away with it. There needs to be some sort of standard ballot design guidelines, at least.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lot of delays happening at the same time, considering in Manafort they just asked for two additional weeks extension before a status update, and in Gates they said cooperation is still ongoing and will report back in January.

https://twitter.com/johnson_carrie/status/1063478574668279808

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1063467686087335937

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol trump has grown tired of pence's slavish dog act

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1063485858546880512

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Coupled with the piece about how he's growing to disdain Hannity, we really are seeing him turn on basically everyone now lol

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

eke out posted:

Coupled with the piece about how he's growing to disdain Hannity, we really are seeing him turn on basically everyone now lol

The Democrats are the winners, now. He no longer has any use for Fox and Hannity.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

eke out posted:

Such is the fate of a narcissist. Trumpism was slaughtered in the midterms and he is lashing out at everyone because it could not possibly be because of him. This is a huge national level failure that he can't make go away with lawsuits and bluster so he is deeply embarrassed because he may have caught a glimpse deep down in his brain-worm subconscious that the emperor is indeed wearing no clothes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ReidRansom posted:

It's probably impossible to fully federalize (and maybe not constitutional?), and even turning it over to the state level would be difficult because of local races and whatnot, but something needs to be done, because people will intentionally exploit this sort of undervote issue by design in the future in certain localities if they think it will work and they can get away with it. There needs to be some sort of standard ballot design guidelines, at least.
This ballot is going to lead to one hell of an economics paper for someone who wants to write about voting. It's a natural experiment with a population size in the six figures and a clear noticeable effect... and yes, it could be pretty darn easily replicated, I suspect.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/jseldin/status/1063490774598332416

:thunk:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

lol, "has pence been the mole this entire time?" ponders Maggie Haberman of the NYT.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Trump is fundamentally right though in that Pence is absolutely in no ways loyal.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

no surprise:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1063491844892446720

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

Maybe now he sees they're full of poo poo, since the blue wave came and it crashed all of his hopes and dreams.

Trump doesn't actuall give a gently caress about McConnell judge project.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Pence would be one of the ones who could 25th him right?

25th Amendment posted:

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
Maybe he's worried this new Congress could join forces with Pence to oust his Alzheimer's-ridden rear end.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

He meant he physically writes the answers (that his lawyers give him, while looking over his shoulder and pointing out his spelling mistakes).

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

ummel posted:

This is problematic too, here in Ohio people were saying that the ballot machine spit it back out at them with an "are you sure?" type message for leaving something blank. I forget the details (I voted early) but they were saying it seemed quite possible to miss it or somehow gently caress it up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Scantron machines don't always prompt you to check for an undervote. The better models do. The worse ones (like, say, in counties which can't afford new equipment) just scan them and it's done.

Digital and hybrid models always have you double check.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Master Karateka Jim Acosta to return to position as grand inquisitor of Donald Trump. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This ballot is going to lead to one hell of an economics paper for someone who wants to write about voting. It's a natural experiment with a population size in the six figures and a clear noticeable effect... and yes, it could be pretty darn easily replicated, I suspect.

I have zero doubt that someone somewhere is already outlining their plan to polish it up a bit and weaponize it.