Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Even if Luger was willing to sign cheap what the hell would they do with him?

There’s zero room for him in the main event scene. The mid card is full of talented guys that can actually wrestle and would be elevated in the next 2-3 years. The most he could do is beat up some jobbers, maaaaybe feud for the us title and be out of the company by wrestlemania 20.

The only value he might possibly have is on tour for a couple weeks in old wcw territory in the south as a special attraction to sell a few tickets. And wwe doesn’t do that so it doesn’t matter.

Look at what they did to ddp, a person that fans love, seemed like a team player backstage and wanted to be there to the point that he gave up free money from Time Warner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Luger was a guy with pretty crazy body, he had something like 4% body fat for real. I'm not so naive as to think he achieved it au natural, but he probably knows some things about nutrition and such, which might not be news to some of the wrestlers with great bodies they've signed, but others might have a use for it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Luger was a guy with pretty crazy body, he had something like 4% body fat for real. I'm not so naive as to think he achieved it au natural, but he probably knows some things about nutrition and such, which might not be news to some of the wrestlers with great bodies they've signed, but others might have a use for it.

Yeah Cornette has a story about Lex’s intense diet restrictions a few minutes into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFKBkDyNtI

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait, the guy that made himself a paraplegic through drug use and whose house Elizabeth ODed in is a wellness advisor?

It works.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you didn't put friends/siblings in the Torture Rack

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Luger is one of the more glaring omissions from the WWE Hall of Fame

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lex could bring his name. He still had that in early 200, even if he looked like poo poo by then.

Some wrestling fans I know once indulged in what they called Bret Hart Ranking game because The Hitman apparently rated himself in his book or one his books or whatever. The three key traits to a wrestler are: Look, Ring Work and Charisma/Mic Skills. (Bret maybe lumped the last two together when he shouldn't have because look at people like Jeff Hardy or Ultimate Warrior. Mic skills aren't the same thing as Charisma at all.)

But anyway, Luger's Look in his prime had to be a perfect 10. One of the best ever in the business.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Luger looked godlike as TTP and in Totally Buff

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Lex could bring his name. He still had that in early 200, even if he looked like poo poo by then.

Some wrestling fans I know once indulged in what they called Bret Hart Ranking game because The Hitman apparently rated himself in his book or one his books or whatever. The three key traits to a wrestler are: Look, Ring Work and Charisma/Mic Skills. (Bret maybe lumped the last two together when he shouldn't have because look at people like Jeff Hardy or Ultimate Warrior. Mic skills aren't the same thing as Charisma at all.)

But anyway, Luger's Look in his prime had to be a perfect 10. One of the best ever in the business.

What is his name going to bring? Lex was immobile, looked 50 once he cut his hair and still had a huge ego. He was great as a comedy goof but are you going to pay Luger money to a guy who is going to make everyone miserable until you fire him? He'd ceased being a useful main event guy in 98 and his name was useless to put guys over because he actively fought against doing so.

Lex had some incredibly underrated and entertaining runs but by 2000 he was such a sad wreck.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't Lex and I want to say Buff Bagwell fight over the "Total Package" gimmick at one point?

That's another of Russo's favorites that I don't see people mention as often...feuds over the rights to a gimmick. Like when Booker T and Big T (Ahmed Johnson) fought over the letter T.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't Lex and I want to say Buff Bagwell fight over the "Total Package" gimmick at one point?

That's another of Russo's favorites that I don't see people mention as often...feuds over the rights to a gimmick. Like when Booker T and Big T (Ahmed Johnson) fought over the letter T.

Lex feuded with Chuck Palumbo over that and Stasiak with Curt Hennig.

Big T/Stevie vs Booker T was mostly under Sullivan, and it was for the intellectual property rights to Harlem Heat. Underrated promos in that feud.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
"I can't be called "Booker", all the boys will hate me!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Two Beans posted:

"I can't be called "Booker", all the boys will hate me!"

Okay, if that’s a legit line from the feud, that’s pretty loving good.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

EugeneJ posted:

Luger is one of the more glaring omissions from the WWE Hall of Fame

Agree. He was Vince McMahon's platonic ideal of a wrestler. Jacked as poo poo, limited wrestling skill and absolutely batshit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In Death of WCW, I think the 2000 chapter, Alvarez goes into huge detail on this match with Lance Storm and somebody where Lance kept losing but the match was restarted because the Canadian rules said he had to lose in a specific way. The way it's described sounds hilarious to me but the writer clearly thought teh whole thing sucked.

Was it that bad?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

In Death of WCW, I think the 2000 chapter, Alvarez goes into huge detail on this match with Lance Storm and somebody where Lance kept losing but the match was restarted because the Canadian rules said he had to lose in a specific way. The way it's described sounds hilarious to me but the writer clearly thought teh whole thing sucked.

Was it that bad?

Yes because you had Lance Storm, a great worker in there with Mike Awesome who can have great matches with wrestlers like Lance Storm. Storm is the heel, Awesome is the babyface, but it's in Canada so the crowd loves Storm.

The match is booked so Storm loses repeatedly and looks like a complete chump, and then Awesome looks like a complete chump in the end. The rule changes make it so the match has no flow because it's constantly broken up by the booking and the fact the rule changes actively hurt the drama of the near falls. It's awful.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It's awful BUT hilarious and hilariously awful.

Plus, once the crowd understood the gimmick of the match, they started really getting into it.

It's on the legendarily horrendous 2000 WCW PPV New Blood Rising, so watch it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was also especially bad because Lance Storm was being booked pre New Blood Rising as a heel who wins clean and was incredibly over as such. He was a rare bright spot on the programming and Russo ruined it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

It was also especially bad because Lance Storm was being booked pre New Blood Rising as a heel who wins clean and was incredibly over as such. He was a rare bright spot on the programming and Russo ruined it.

That is the Russo promise.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LividLiquid posted:

Ruined....or made better?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember the commentators being all over the place in that match too, like they're not sure if they should be calling Storm a cowardly heel if he keeps getting cheered, so they switch alignments mid-match. One of said commentary team is Mark Madden which does not help.

Also notable is them hyping up a Canadian guest referee and making all the usual Bret Hart references... but swerve! It's JACQUES ROUGEAU! In Vancouver! You can practically hear the disappointment in the crowd, which is even more hilarious since Bret actually does come out at the end, hugs Storm and Jacques, then leaves.

WWE did the exact same gimmick the following year at Backlash with Jericho and Regal, only there it was great because Regal was undoubtedly the heel and you had JR and Heyman hilariously hamming it up on commentary.

"But she's a Duchess!!!"
"AWW, DUCHESS MY FOOT!" :bahgawd:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/akioyang/status/1066477330409885696

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

wheres Kaz

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Guys let's get those hearts goin' on #threecountstillsucksballs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

He is there to tell people not to do drugs.

Hulk Hogan: That's right, I agree with my good friend Lex, you absolutely, cannot, must not, should not, get caught with your drugs.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Guys let's get those hearts goin' on #threecountstillsucksballs

Tank Abbott’s gonna cut your beard off friend

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've been thinking a lot about WCW for the last week so here are some final thoughts after the 6 year journey that was Tuesday Nitro:

I'd rank the years:

1. 1997
2. 1996
3. 1998
4. 1995
5. 2001
6. 2000
7. 1999

For the bad eras I'd rank them from worst to least worst:

1. Nash Booking 1999
2. Russo Booking 2000
3. Russo Booking 1999
4. Johnny Ace/Terry Taylor/Ed Ferrera/Whoever Booking Late 2000/2001
5. Sullivan Booking 2000

The pre nWo period is significantly better than any of these.

1997 was as good as I remembered. The early nWo stuff is a little rough but Hogan gets a handle on his character a few months in. His character is great in 1997 and flat out amazing in 1998, the problem being by 1998 it wasn't such a good idea to have him be so hegemonic. But he's great at it.

1999 is just an incredibly bad year. Spring Stampede is great, but everything else is such a mess. They gently caress up the lay ups early on like the Benoit/Malenko push and good tag division within months, they gently caress up Goldberg/Bam Bam, they gently caress up Flair/Hogan, and from there it's just awful. Bischoff's babyface run was worse than I remembered. The post Bischoff/pre Russo stuff is way worse than I remembered.

Ice Train/MI Smooth is much better than I remembered.

The Total Package was much better than I remembered, Lex Luger's 1997 run was exactly as great as I remembered.

Rick Steiner is the worst wrestler in the world from 1998-2001. There are worse for stretches but for someone pushed on TV he is the worst for that entire period.

I miss the Goldberg monster truck.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I don't think 1999 was worse minute-by-minute than 2000 or pre-Greed 2001, but 1999 had 3 hour Nitros which made it so much worse to deal with so I'd agree with it being the worst.

Overall I'd agree with those rankings.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If there's one thing catching tuesday nitros (when I was able to) made me realize it's that even on it's worst day I'd rather watch lovely old WCW than current WWE

The short genuinely good period of WCW will always be my favorite era of wrestling

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would that make 1997 the best year ever for mainstream US Professional Wrestling? I know WWF was still regaining its footing but they had some fantastic stuff going on then too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Would that make 1997 the best year ever for mainstream US Professional Wrestling? I know WWF was still regaining its footing but they had some fantastic stuff going on then too.

Post national expansion I'll go with yes.

Hell let's just say yes to all time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Post national expansion I'll go with yes.

Isn't it one of the best Japanese years ever, too?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe, but the WWF had some godawful PPVs that years.

And the "Gang Wars".

And the Godwinns as Tag Team champions.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

If there's one thing catching tuesday nitros (when I was able to) made me realize it's that even on it's worst day I'd rather watch lovely old WCW than current WWE

I agree for the most past, and I'd say the absolute worst of WCW is laughably or a car-wreck level of bad and very entertaining in a surreal way, but middling-terrible WCW including endless matches involving the Natural Born Thrillers, KroniK, Jarrett, Rick Steiner and Shane Douglas is some god-awful poo poo and not even "so bad it's good".

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 1, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

:hmmyes:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Get Tony Schiavone to announce it:
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1072542028884598786

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sage Northcutt you can go to hell

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
straight to hell

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That realization that the Monday Night Wars was just two ships passing in the night.
The (should have been) culmination of the entire NWO story happened over 3 months before Austin even became world champion.
I wonder what would have happened if the timelines synced so Austin/Peak NWO happened concurrently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1CrA2SyR4

This randomly popped up on my recommendations. He talk about Ole Anderson being super racist which I've heard for years but it shifts into talking about the discrimination suit filed by a bunch of wrestlers against WCW. He accuses Booker T of getting a push for not signing up with the others.

Dunno how truthful that is but wasn't Ole done with the company after the early 90s?

Also in Death ofWCW Alvarez makes the whole case sound like blatant opportunism and completely unjustified. now Ole might be gone but that doesn't stop whoever was in charge from being super racist. I don't think Nash is but I guess we know about Hogan now and he was there so.... I dunno, what do you all who know more think