Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you know what's no fun at all? when you swing your joycon left and the ball goes flying in the complete opposite direction on the screen. Very nice motion detection you have here, game freak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Larryb posted:

Ah, so do you pick them up all at once or is it spread throughout the game? If it's the former, what are the best moves to grab as far as coverage goes?

Dark/Fairy/Fire/Water lets you hit 12 different types for super effective damage without being resisted by anything, as does Dark/Fairy/Fire/Grass.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unless the candies give a ton of points per then maxing out a pokemon is a giant loving unnecessary grind.

Since there seem to be multiple types of Candy I'm guessing there are higher end ones which give lots of stats.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Does Golbat evolve in Let's Go?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

you know what's no fun at all? when you swing your joycon left and the ball goes flying in the complete opposite direction on the screen. Very nice motion detection you have here, game freak.

I'd put that more on Nintendo.

Speaking of controllers, my Pokeball Plus arrived and it is indeed one time use. The Pokeball is pre-loaded with a Mew, and the game tells you that right after it pairs with the system. One mystery gift later (it connects to the internet to verify) it comes over at level 1. Moving to the opposite version never gave any indication it had a Mew inside and gave an error message when trying to do the mystery gift.

E:^^ 151 original Pokemon only.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No. I've seen the joycon's motion controls work perfectly fine. This is on GF for not reading the inputs correctly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

Does Golbat evolve in Let's Go?

No

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So does the Joycon grip or Pro controller work with Go or are you pretty much forced to either do touch screen or detached joycons?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Amppelix posted:

If you're playing on the tv you can only use the pokeball or a single joycon

that's right not even both joycons

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Dark/Fairy/Fire/Water lets you hit 12 different types for super effective damage without being resisted by anything, as does Dark/Fairy/Fire/Grass.

Sounds good, any idea where you pick up the Dark and Fairy moves?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I played a little bit, pretending Bellsprout is my starter I rolled over Brock's gym, and used the Headbutt TM he gave me to replace Wrap. Dude's looking set for moves right now. I just need to come up with a good name.

I'm trying not to focus too much on catching right now since in terms of levels I'm not exactly behind. I just usually stopped to grab Kakunas and Metapods since I know they're worth much more EXP than the usual fare. I saw a Pikachu but wasn't able to successfully get it, but I did get a Bulbasaur - not gonna be on my team though.

I'm still trying to decide who I'm gonna use besides Bellsprout, but I think the distribution in the coming routes will pretty much decide that for me. Does anyone know where the trainer that exchanges Vulpix for their Alolan forms lives?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The original starters being available relatively earlier is pretty nice:
Bulbasaur - rare spawn in Viridian Forest
Charmander - get a chain of 11 in either route 3 or 4 and one will spawn
SQUIRTLE - No idea / Haven’t looked it up yet.

They each have an NPC that will trade one to you after catching X pokemon.

EDIT: :mad:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 16, 2018

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirrel

I thought people were exaggerating about how bad the changes in LGPE are, but I gotta say I am not a fan of some of them.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Is there no breeding in the game?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ariong posted:

I thought people were exaggerating about how bad the changes in LGPE are, but I gotta say I am not a fan of some of them.

I'd forgive it if they remade Blastoise so it had Wartortle's tail and ears

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fancy Hat! posted:

Is there no breeding in the game?

Nope

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

I suppose that makes sense, if theres no abilities and such.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Where’s the NPC you pay to change Natures?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LMAO catching an Abra in this loving game is just as hard.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So all my friends are getting this game so I guess I gotta too. Is Pikachu/Eevee a permanent part of your team? Can they be simply a cosmetic shoulder piece? Or do they always take up one slot so you only have 5 others to choose from?

I'm gonna be having to go with Pikachu since everyone else is going Eevee and Pikachu has better exclusives, but I'm not really a big fan of Pikachu in general

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Can someone confirm that Japanese is included in the language choices for the US version? The eShop says only English, Spanish, and French, but that's often wrong.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macaluso posted:

So all my friends are getting this game so I guess I gotta too. Is Pikachu/Eevee a permanent part of your team? Can they be simply a cosmetic shoulder piece? Or do they always take up one slot so you only have 5 others to choose from?

They can be strictly cosmetic as soon as you get another pokemon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They can be strictly cosmetic as soon as you get another pokemon.

Oh sick

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:stonk:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So it's looking like wild Pikachu can learn most of the same moves the starter one can (plus the fact that they can, you know, evolve), is the same true for wild Eevee?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can you change hairstyles or eye colors in this game or are you stuck with what you pick at the start? I want blue eyes but darker hair.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

So it's looking like wild Pikachu can learn most of the same moves the starter one can (plus the fact that they can, you know, evolve), is the same true for wild Eevee?

I don't think they can learn the special moves, can they?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I don't think they can learn the special moves, can they?

I don't believe the special moves for Pikachu are even available in the Eevee version and vice versa so probably not, wild ones can learn Double Kick and the like though which I don't think Pikachu could ever get before so that's something at least (if they could in previous Gens then nevermind this entire point).

Also apparently Meltan is exclusive to Pokemon Go and can't be found anywhere in this game (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 16, 2018

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Since this is supposed to be a throwback to Gen I, are TMs back to being a one-time use?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

Since this is supposed to be a throwback to Gen I, are TMs back to being a one-time use?

Nope. Unlimited use.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm running into a weird issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4G-sTYhkzQ

There's a bit of a delay to go from walking to running. I haven't noticed any issues with any other game I've played with the controller. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there no way to just automatically run all the time? Am I possibly gonna be looking into getting a new joycon?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there something that summarizes the changes from mainline series to Let’s Go

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

•waggle

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I honestly do think that menu-accessible Pokemon storage and the ability to freely nickname without having to consult some Hello Hello fella are good QoL.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is there something that summarizes the changes from mainline series to Let’s Go

Starter Pikachu and Eevee have boosted stats (roughly on par with Charmeleon/Ivysaur/Wartortle) and can learn some ridiculously good moves from special tutors scattered throughout the game.

You don't fight wild pokemon you only go into the Go style catching minigame. The exception to this is when you fight a Legendary where you have to beat it in a battle before the minigame happens.

Pokemon get Pokemon Aime style affection if you have them out following you around and can unlock the same kind of bonuses to shrug off status, live through KO hits etc.

Held Items and Abilities are disabled.

There's a permanent EXP share so every party member will get the same amount of EXP.

You can change our your party at any time in the field. You can even get rid of Pikachu/Eevee and have them as a mascot riding your character.

There are new encounter tables compared to R/B/Y and FR/LG. Some rare pokemon require you to 'chain' certain numbers of encounters. Chaining is where you catch the same species of Pokemon back to back. Catching anything else breaks the chain but running away doesn't. Chaining boosts rare spawns, the chance for perfect IVs and shiny chance. For instance if you get a chain of 11 on route 3/4 you can start seeing wild Charmander spawn.

For all the extra pokemon you can just offload them in your box to Oak in bulk. He gives you candies for each one you send him with bonus candy if you have large or small members of the species (denoted by a red/blue aura on the overworld).

Candy replaces EVs. Instead of getting them from fighting you can just feed your Pokemon candy to increase stats. You can increase each stat by +200 points if you have enough candy. Pokemon also sometimes rarely drop candy when you catch them.

You can freely nickname pokemon at any time except for traded mons.

You can get Alola formes through in-game trades. These have unlimited availability and are always a strict 1 for 1 trade (Rattata for Rattata-A etc). The Alolan form counts as a traded pokemon and always comes in at the same level.

You can trade over dudes from Pokemon GO and catch them. They get generic level up movesets.

Pokemon also seem to earn some bonus stats if leveled up in battle instead of through EXP earned by catching but I haven't totally worked out those mechanics yet.

Also from Smogon

quote:

Traditional EVs are no longer used for stat calculations.
The friendship you build with your Pokémon has use beyond Return & Frustration. Higher friendship = higher stats (+10% on all stats except HP).
Looks like the maximum amount of candies used for a stat is 200. Looks like it's added directly to the calculated stat (after friendship boost).
The candy boosted stats are internally called Awakening Values. "BTL_STRID_STD_AwakeningUp_Atk". Awakened stat boosts are permanent, at this time.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 17, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alxprit posted:

I honestly do think that menu-accessible Pokemon storage and the ability to freely nickname without having to consult some Hello Hello fella are good QoL.

There's a lot of quality of life stuff in this so far that I hope they bring over to future games. Obviously for a real new Pokemon game I want a deeper battle system and all that poo poo but things like everyone getting XP without an XP share, and ESPECIALLY the ability to switch Pokemon into and out of your party at ANY TIME. Like holy poo poo if they don't carry that over I'm gonna be legit sad, it's just so nice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also new TM list for Let's Go

Sky Attack and Solar Beam were boosted to 200 base power, Absorb to 40 and Mega Drain to 75.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 17, 2018

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Im going to play this game really chill. Does anyone else find eevee really weird in this game?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also note that you want to be looking at what types perform best in Kanto - Psychic beats the considerable number of Poison-types that there are, whereas Electric zaps the Waters which are so prevalent. You will encounter these in 3/4 of the Elite Four! There are few Dark types and Fighting types comparatively, so Fairy may be less useful than Ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Okay good Surf is still a TM. I don't know why I was worried about that but I was.