Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the idea that we shouldn't criticize our side when our complaints are valid and theirs are invented is a weird one.

https://twitter.com/TheLapsedJedi/status/1063502311715192838

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Never criticize a politician because you will only help worse politicians thereby.

Mmmm this boot leather tastes so gooooood

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/karentravers/status/1063503442726006785

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

VitalSigns posted:

Never criticize a politician because you will only help worse politicians thereby.

Literally no one is saying not to criticize Democrats, you blubbering, straw-man-creating baby.

Criticize them every drat day of the week and twice a day during primary season, but then go loving vote for them when the other option is a guy who supports the Trump agenda

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 16, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/muhmentions/status/1063504615461871617

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kelseymsutton/status/1063502453021335556

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:911: god bless our president

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Pure class, that president of ours

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus christ. i mean know spec ops dudes are usually hosed up and such, but they arnt loving mister blonde. did he get sent to jail? because NYT is demanding money so i can't see.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chuck schumer is the enemy.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-Wall Street)

quote:

It’s true that Schumer doesn’t follow the Wall Street line in every single case. He voted for the 2010 Dodd-Frank bill, for instance.

But throughout his career, Schumer has consistently interceded on behalf of business interests, particularly those that have filled his campaign coffers. In 2001, together with Bill Clinton’s deregulation-happy treasury secretary, Robert Rubin, and a host of other business, labor, and academic experts, Schumer formed the “Group of 35,” which used zoning laws and tax breaks to clear the way for office space and high-rise development in New York City. Three years later, he slipped a tax break into an unrelated bill that helped advance the construction of a mega-mall in Syracuse — a project developed by a donor who had given to Schumer and both parties.

Wall Street is by far the best looked after among Schumer’s business constituents. After taking $1 million from the hedge fund and private equity industry, Schumer killed Democratic efforts to double taxes on their profits, arguing the tax hike would spark an exodus of jobs from New York and the US and unfairly single out the industry. (For some perspective, the private equity industry paid out $1.1 trillion worth of profits to investors worldwide that year.)

Schumer was also one of twenty-seven Democrats who voted against a 2010 amendment to break up too-big-to-fail banks. When Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren expressed concerns about appointing as vice chair of the Federal Reserve a former Citigroup executive (a bank that already had its tentacles deep inside the Obama administration), Schumer replied that “three years at Citibank, I think, should be an asset rather than a liability.”

Last year, he proposed giving multinationals stashing profits overseas a tax break even larger than the one Obama suggested. Over the course of his career, Schumer has fought attempts to regulate credit-rating agencies, successfully halved the fees that Wall Street firms pay to the SEC, and helped repeal the Glass-Steagall Act on the basis that “we could find London or Frankfurt or years down the road Shanghai becoming the financial capital of the world.”

Schumer has never been coy about his affinity for the financial industry. After teaming up with then–New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2007 to commission a study on the future of New York’s financial industry — which concluded that less regulation on Wall Street would prevent firms from moving to London — Schumer said: “We are not going to rest until we change the rules, change the laws, and make sure that New York stays No. 1 for decades on into the future.”

The same year, he praised Wall Street effusively: “So much of what happens in this town is because we are the world financial sector. It helps support our museums, it provides the tax base for schools and health care. If we lose being the financial center, the rest goes down the drain.”

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/11/chuck-schumer-bernie-sanders-financial-industry-fundraising/

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

There's little reason to raise income taxes on the lower 80% unless it's for programs that directly benefit the lower 80%, but that rule is still terribly stupid. The income tax rule is bad just because it creates an unnecessary strategic impediment, even if it's strictly interpreted as income tax and thus wouldn't necessarily affect programs like M4A. Like, what's the true purpose? It's not going to carry a message into the next election, nobody really is going to give a poo poo about rules adopted now. If taxes change because you introduced a new payroll tax to cover M4A, then it probably is more of an albatross than anything - "they said they wouldn't raise taxes, but then they found a loophole!"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The funny thing about the Acosta ruling to me is that the judge appears to have basically ruled Acosta pulled a Trump / air bud: "there was no rule saying he couldn't keep the mike, and you can't kick him out without a rule."

i look forward to the WH making a list of decorum rules and then immediately losing in court next time because they deviated from those rules.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bugsy posted:

eric trump, tucker, lou dobbs, rand paul, grassley and gaetz also retweeted this conspiracy bullshit.

I'm super surprised no one has brought up this:

https://twitter.com/cat_trucker/status/950556561037959168

And connected the dots. It's super obvious, people!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twice burned ice posted:

Literally no one is saying not to criticize Democrats, you blubbering, straw-man-creating baby.

Skex posted:

You still end up signal boosting their cause which was my argument against directing Dems are Bad ire at the better Dems (and frankly yes Pelosi is one of the better Dems as should be obvious now that your seeing where the attacks are coming from). You only end up weakening the Dems closer to your position and helping those further away.
:shrug:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

heh

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1063454367968301064

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

There's little reason to raise income taxes on the lower 80% unless it's for programs that directly benefit the lower 80%, but that rule is still terribly stupid. The income tax rule is bad just because it creates an unnecessary strategic impediment, even if it's strictly interpreted as income tax and thus wouldn't necessarily affect programs like M4A. Like, what's the true purpose? It's not going to carry a message into the next election, nobody really is going to give a poo poo about rules adopted now. If taxes change because you introduced a new payroll tax to cover M4A, then it probably is more of an albatross than anything - "they said they wouldn't raise taxes, but then they found a loophole!"

This is a good point. I didn't factor in a possible M4A payroll tax change and the loophole language messaging.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Skex posted:

You still end up signal boosting their cause which was my argument against directing Dems are Bad ire at the better Dems (and frankly yes Pelosi is one of the better Dems as should be obvious now that your seeing where the attacks are coming from). You only end up weakening the Dems closer to your position and helping those further away.

Also I love how people like to get all pissed at Pelosi for not picking losing fights, Take impeachment of Bush. Yes it was the right thing to do ethically and morally, however it was never going to succeed because of the :decorum: loving conservadems that Pelosi has to work with and a failed impeachment seldom plays well for the party who is doing it. That's part of why they pushed to pass the flawed ACA rather than holding their breath for perfect (or even better) in that if you fail to pass a signature piece of legislation that makes you look weak and incompetent which was entirely the point behind all of the Republican obstruction. And when your own caucus and party are infested with traitorous blue dogs you end up having to compromise to get anything.

The most important thing for people to grasp about the next two years is that the best possible outcome for the Democrats is to gum up the works and prevent anything other than necessary appropriations bills from passing. Because no good bills will make it through the Senate or be signed by Trump. Which means that the best leader for the moment is a skilled legislative tactician which Pelosi has demonstrated herself to be rather than some inspirational bomb thrower. Politics was is and always will be a long game, a strategic game.

The absolute worst thing that could happen in this is for the Blue Dogs to successfully topple a progressive speaker and get their own lovely choice who will compromise away our youth and minority support to the loving Republicans in some misguided "getting things done" mentality.
here's a play in two acts for you:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/03/nancy-pelosi-just-endorsed-a-congressman-who-opposes-abortion-and-gay-rights/

quote:

Elected Democrats—including New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand and fellow Chicago-area Rep. Jan Schakowsky—have waded into the primary to back Newman. And in an unusual step for a race with a Democratic incumbent, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee had declined to endorse Lipinski.

But on Thursday, less than three weeks before the March 20 primary, Lipinski did pick up one notable supporter: House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
note: Lipinski won that primary by just over two percent

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/dan-lipinski-nancy-pelosi-speaker-house-representatives-congress/

quote:

U.S. Rep. Dan Lipinski on Wednesday said he will not back Nancy Pelosi for speaker of the House unless she agrees to a series of rules changes to make it easier to bring bipartisan legislation to the floor and other reforms.

“At this point, I’m not voting for Nancy Pelosi,” Lipinski, D-Ill., told the Chicago Sun-Times.

Lipinski is part of a nine-member group — all members of the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus — who met with Pelosi on Wednesday to discuss their proposals to, among other items, weaken the power of House leaders and committee chairs — and strengthen the hands of rank-and-file GOP and Democratic members.
Nancy Pelosi is a loving idiot and if there aren't any progressives in the House with the cachet to replace her now that she's nearly one-thousand years old, I consider that a failure of leadership on her part. I don't give a gently caress what she did for the ACA in the House ten years ago - she's been a disaster for the Democrats since then.

That the only defense you can give her even now is that at least she's better that a blue dog is a damning indictment of her and proves that the criticism of her from the left has been right all along.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 16, 2018

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

anyone with democratic house members should be calling them to bitch about it

this means you, goons reading this thread

Thanks for the reminder. I'm still so used to our reps having no power in the house that it completely slipped my mind that this was an option.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The funny thing about the Acosta ruling to me is that the judge appears to have basically ruled Acosta pulled a Trump / air bud: "there was no rule saying he couldn't keep the mike, and you can't kick him out without a rule."

My understanding of the amount of due process required here is that if they'd merely sent him a letter saying "Your press pass has been revoked for being disruptive." that alone would likely have been enough to prevent this kind of challenge- and it DEFINITELY would've been enough to stop this challenge if it included a sentence saying that there was some procedure to appeal.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I'm super surprised no one has brought up this:

https://twitter.com/cat_trucker/status/950556561037959168

And connected the dots. It's super obvious, people!

No you big dummy! It was HAARP.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Skex posted:

Also I love how people like to get all pissed at Pelosi for not picking losing fights, Take impeachment of Bush. Yes it was the right thing to do ethically and morally, however it was never going to succeed because of the :decorum: loving conservadems that Pelosi has to work with and a failed impeachment seldom plays well for the party who is doing it.

The hits Republicans took for repeatedly invoking impeachment talk were never overcome

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh, oh :lol:

It'll be hilarious if this causes Trump to stop nominating judges altogether, because he can't find a loyal judge, at least until they clone Mary Trump.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

here's a play in two acts for you:

lol

I can't even believe it's stupidity at this point, it's so so obvious that the establishment wants blue dogs winning primaries so they can go "oh gee we just can't get the votes for gay rights and healthcare. again!"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
A lovely ballot again :ughh:

I wonder how many votes come from having the Republican always the first name in the list. It's a big state. The legislature changed it for a reason.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In retrospect I’m really glad that McCain held onto his Senate seat for so long even when he was clearly incapable because based on how tight the election was for the one open seat I highly doubt the Dems would have picked up two. There would have been a lot of dumbass split ballot “balance” voters and the prospect of having to defend two seats may have encouraged additional Republican turnout. So yeah, we’re going to need that seat in 2020.

And the next Secretary of State will likely be a Democrat.

nine-gear crow posted:

I haven’t had the initiative to go check on my own, but I wonder how the #Persistance weirdo who was literally Gay For Trump has handled the singe biggest Republican elector defeat since Watergate? Did he spin it into a “well, look at this one seat Republicans flipped red—AND ONLY THIS SEAT, IGNORE THE REST OF THE COUNTRY!” or has he slipped into depression over it?

By deceiving his followers:
https://twitter.com/scottpresler/status/1059995742562074624

Shifty Pony posted:

I think he's just an absolute poo poo-smear of a human who recently figured out he can be himself with no repercussions.

McCain was the parent forcing him to take drags on :decorum:
Now that he's dead, Trump is the new dad forcing him to drink :kav:

You have to be extremely insecure for John McCain's weak-rear end tut-tut shaming to work on you.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Nancy Pelosi is a loving idiot and if there aren't any progressives in the House with the cachet to replace her now that she's nearly one-thousand years old, I consider that a failure of leadership on her part. I don't give a gently caress what she did for the ACA in the House ten years ago - she's been a disaster for the Democrats since then.

That the only defense you can give her even now is that at least she's better that a blue dog is a damning indictment of her and proves that the criticism of her from the left has been right all along.

there are plenty of progressives that would do a great job in her place - Lee and Grijalva being the obvious choices - they just don't oppose her, but go ahead and erase them just because you want to more thoroughly declare "dems bad" for the one thousandth time in this thread

Kale
May 14, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Look like the "first asian american in congress" meme can officially die (despite never being true for a loving moment).

Ted Lieu, Mazie Hirono, Daniel Inouye, Sam Hayakawa......

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ague Proof posted:

A lovely ballot again :ughh:

I wonder how many votes come from having the Republican always the first name in the list. It's a big state. The legislature changed it for a reason.

And the next Secretary of State will likely be a Democrat.

By deceiving his followers:
https://twitter.com/scottpresler/status/1059995742562074624

McCain was the parent forcing him to take drags on :decorum:
Now that he's dead, Trump is the new dad forcing him to drink :kav:

You have to be extremely insecure for John McCain's weak-rear end tut-tut shaming to work on you.

In Alabama the Democrat was listed first in every contest, didn't seem to make a difference

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

My understanding of the amount of due process required here is that if they'd merely sent him a letter saying "Your press pass has been revoked for being disruptive." that alone would likely have been enough to prevent this kind of challenge- and it DEFINITELY would've been enough to stop this challenge if it included a sentence saying that there was some procedure to appeal.

I think they probably needed to

1) not send out a doctored video as the initial basis for the revocation, because that just looks bad

2) Have some sort of rules about press decorum that they could then claim Acosta didn't follow

Thing is they have lots of rules about passes for security reasons and there is prior law and a federal regulation saying if you take away a pass for security reasons there has to be notice and appeal and a specific process has to be followed with timelines etc.

This was taking away a pass because they felt like it, without following any of those security rules. So they need to 1) make rules for non-security-based revocations of passes, and 2) have a process to appeal decisions under those rules.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

eke out posted:

there are plenty of progressives that would do a great job in her place - Lee and Grijalva being the obvious choices - they just don't oppose her, but go ahead and erase them just because you want to more thoroughly declare "dems bad" for the one thousandth time in this thread
They probably don't oppose her in no small part because they know if they do she'll just support a primary challenge against them from the right in two years. Seriously, did you even read my post? Pelosi is no friend to progressive Dems, and yes I'm well aware she founded the House CPC ages ago - all the more ironic.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

VitalSigns posted:

Oh please the attacks directed at Democrats from the Dems are bad Brigade aren't criticism, they're just attacks. No one says don't criticize politicians but a criticism would be something like this "while I understand the motivation behind your desire to try X I feel that it undermines our cause and you should reconsider" that's a criticism. The Dems are bad line of attack is "all democrats are horrible unless they hold positions 100% in alignment with my views and any compromise at all is totally unacceptable no matter what the cost.".

The Dems are bad brigade have been all Pelosi has to go for months in this thread (years really) even though people like myself have been saying all along that the only attacks coming from her are from the Right in the party and that she is a progressive even if you find her to be too compromising she's still a better choice than whoever Steny loving Hoyer is going to be pushing. The first clue should have been that all of the names that leftists were tossing up to replace her are Pelosi's strongest allies and supporters.

I mean seriously Waters? Those two have been thick as thieves longer than many of the posters on this thread have been alive. Waters will have Nancy's back period and if you ever thought anything differently you haven't paid as much attention to politics as you think that you have.

Barbara Lee is also a long time ally (they have been in that same California delegation for 20 years and fellow member of the Progressive Cuacus) and unlikely to consider a bid to replace Pelosi (I mean seriously no one else wants that loving job except for the idiots who want to move the party back to the right) because it's a thankless job that you have to compromise in in order to accomplish anything. Also she's on the old side to be a good candidate to take over in 2020 when the Dems will really need a new speaker.

The problem with the left being on this whole "Pelosi bad need new blood" train for the speakership is that it has emboldened the Blue Dogs by allowing them to latch onto that mood and hijack the energy and sentiment.

Part of the effort to elect better Democrats has to be having their backs when they need it. Because the best way to keep a politician from compromising away something important is to make sure they are politically secure enough that they can stand by those principles.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Would love to see chuck gently caress off forever

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eke out posted:

Rather than just dismissing that post as "dems bad" maybe consider then that if Pelosi is refusing to step down and let them take over, that in itself could be a bad leadership choice by Pelosi.

Refusing to step aside when the time is right is a classic example of bad leadership.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I think they probably needed to

1) not send out a doctored video as the initial basis for the revocation, because that just looks bad

2) Have some sort of rules about press decorum that they could then claim Acosta didn't follow

Thing is they have lots of rules about passes for security reasons and there is prior law and a federal regulation saying if you take away a pass for security reasons there has to be notice and appeal and a specific process has to be followed with timelines etc.

This was taking away a pass because they felt like it, without following any of those security rules. So they need to 1) make rules for non-security-based revocations of passes, and 2) have a process to appeal decisions under those rules.

i don't disagree with any of this - just making the point that the actual amount of process required to take away press passes is minimal. i think the judge this morning left it open to the point that they could potentially even do it without additional rulemaking, though I could def be wrong on that point.

it's just another example of sheer malevolent incompetence working against them, when a smarter-but-equally-evil administration could probably successfully get away with it

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Skex posted:

Oh please the attacks directed at Democrats from the Dems are bad Brigade aren't criticism, they're just attacks. No one says don't criticize politicians but a criticism would be something like this "while I understand the motivation behind your desire to try X I feel that it undermines our cause and you should reconsider" that's a criticism. The Dems are bad line of attack is "all democrats are horrible unless they hold positions 100% in alignment with my views and any compromise at all is totally unacceptable no matter what the cost.".

blah blah loving blah...
Nancy Pelosi waded into a Democratic primary earlier this year to kneecap a progressive challenger in favor of one of the worst Democrats in the House, a Democrat who is now agitating for a more conservative speaker this term to replace her. Even disregarding ideology for a moment this is poor politics on her part, for all the talk from your camp about what a master strategist she is: she's actually loving terrible.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Kale posted:

Ted Lieu, Mazie Hirono, Daniel Inouye, Sam Hayakawa......

My mostly worthless rep Doris Matsui.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skex posted:

Oh please the attacks directed at Democrats from the Dems are bad Brigade aren't criticism, they're just attacks. No one says don't criticize politicians but a criticism would be something like this "while I understand the motivation behind your desire to try X I feel that it undermines our cause and you should reconsider" that's a criticism. The Dems are bad line of attack is "all democrats are horrible unless they hold positions 100% in alignment with my views and any compromise at all is totally unacceptable no matter what the cost."

You don’t think voluntarily bringing back PAYGO is bad?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Skex posted:

The Dems are bad brigade have been all Pelosi has to go for months in this thread (years really) even though people like myself have been saying all along that the only attacks coming from her are from the Right in the party and that she is a progressive even if you find her to be too compromising she's still a better choice than whoever Steny loving Hoyer is going to be pushing. The first clue should have been that all of the names that leftists were tossing up to replace her are Pelosi's strongest allies and supporters.

Why this bad faith attempt to declare that any leftwing criticism of Pelosi is an illegitimate attack and not valid criticism?

Also you contradict yourself in the first two paragraphs pretty hard. Are all the attacks actually secretly from the right or are all the leftists attacking her and refusing to offer valid criticisms?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The PelosiBad Chat never seems to manage to suggest any better alternative candidate

Last time I asked that question the best answer I got was Barbara Lee and Barbara Lee doesn't want to be speaker. Until there's a candidate better than Pelosi willing to run against Pelosi, :shrug: Pelosi's the best we got. Turns out America has a shortage of good politicians! Who knew?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Rather than just dismissing that post as "dems bad" maybe consider then that if Pelosi is refusing to step down and let them take over, that in itself could be a bad leadership choice by Pelosi.

Refusing to step aside when the time is right is a classic example of bad leadership.

Maybe consider that stepping aside when challenged by the right wing of the party, when those same people wouldn't vote for any other progressive at Speaker, is idiotic and would be a massive failure in leadership if it left the party with one of those blue dogs running it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skex posted:

I don't think any House Democrats are reading my posts so it's ok trust me nothing we say here is going to put Steny Hoyer in charge of the House