Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MF_James posted:

I thought someone was gonna launch into that sign somehow.

Looks like they might have been trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

wesleywillis posted:

I grew up near the Welland Canal and like history stuff.

I've got at least three direct ancestors, possibly more, that worked on the construction of the fourth (current) canal. Two great grandfathers, one of whom was killed in a construction accident, and one grandfather. Possibly more worked on it, that I don't know about. Also some indirect ancestors worked on it as well.
During construction of the current canal, there were many fatalities. 137 total.
I think that ended up working out to an average of 1 death every two weeks of construction.
One accident, the collapse of one of the lock gates claimed the lives of 10 men.

Here are the stories of a few of the men who died during construction:
https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/news-story/8196392-fallen-workers-last-victim-of-gate-collapse/

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/news-story/8195300-fallen-workers-worker-died-at-lock-6-gate-collapse/

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8318740-fall-at-lock-2-results-in-fatal-injury/

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-welland-tribune/20171202/281771334516183

I grew up a few blocks from the branch of the canal that was superseded by the Welland By-pass and then moved up near Pelham later on. The history of the canal is fascinating. For a particularly OSHA story, when they were building the bypass in 1967 some equipment ruptured a 24" natural gas pipeline that exploded and burned for hours. I've never been able to find footage or images of it, only old Welland Tribune articles about it, but I bet whoever did that had a bad day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeDUb0SGYDQ

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Lurking Haro posted:

Hicks got it in his face and he survived it just fine until he got killed off in Alien 3/whatever happened in Colonial Marines.
I think the comics also feature a few scarred people.

-e-
Also, Weyland-Yutani.
They probably just slap a fragile/do not drop sticker on a container with a Xenomorph in it.

Hmmm, I'm not sure he was alive long enough between the events of Aliens and the crash that kills him at the start of Alien 3 for the cardiac troubles to settle in from HF exposure. Actually having him delay from late-onset Xeno blood toxicity is a much better explanation than whatever they gave in the movie to handwave that away.

Speaking of HF, here's some old-timey OSHA.

quote:

Laki or Lakagígar (Craters of Laki) is a volcanic fissure in the south of Iceland, not far from the volcanic fissure of Eldgjá and the small village of Kirkjubæjarklaustur. The system erupted violently over an eight-month period between June 1783 and February 1784 from the Laki fissure and the adjoining volcano Grímsvötn, pouring out an estimated 42 billion tons 14 km3 (3.4 cu mi) of basalt lava and clouds of poisonous hydrofluoric acid and sulfur dioxide compounds that contaminated the soil, leading to the death of over 50% of Iceland's livestock population, and the destruction of the vast majority of all crops. This led to a famine which then killed approximately 25% of the island's human population.

The consequences for Iceland, known as the Móðuharðindin or "Mist Hardships", were disastrous. An estimated 20–25% of the population died in the famine and fluoride poisoning after the fissure eruptions ensued. Around 80% of sheep, 50% of cattle and 50% of horses died because of dental fluorosis and skeletal fluorosis from the 8 million tons of hydrogen fluoride that were released.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lurking Haro posted:

Hicks got it in his face and he survived it just fine until he got killed off in Alien 3/whatever happened in Colonial Marines.
I think the comics also feature a few scarred people.

-e-
Also, Weyland-Yutani.
They probably just slap a fragile/do not drop sticker on a container with a Xenomorph in it.

(Also chlorine trifluoride isn't a chlorofluorocarbon. Since it has no carbon in it.)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Hmmm, I'm not sure he was alive long enough between the events of Aliens and the crash that kills him at the start of Alien 3 for the cardiac troubles to settle in from HF exposure. Actually having him delay from late-onset Xeno blood toxicity is a much better explanation than whatever they gave in the movie to handwave that away.

Speaking of HF, here's some old-timey OSHA.

quote:

Laki or Lakagígar (Craters of Laki) is a volcanic fissure in the south of Iceland, not far from the volcanic fissure of Eldgjá and the small village of Kirkjubæjarklaustur. The system erupted violently over an eight-month period between June 1783 and February 1784 from the Laki fissure and the adjoining volcano Grímsvötn, pouring out an estimated 42 billion tons 14 km3 (3.4 cu mi) of basalt lava and clouds of poisonous hydrofluoric acid and sulfur dioxide compounds that contaminated the soil, leading to the death of over 50% of Iceland's livestock population, and the destruction of the vast majority of all crops. This led to a famine which then killed approximately 25% of the island's human population.

The consequences for Iceland, known as the Móðuharðindin or "Mist Hardships", were disastrous. An estimated 20–25% of the population died in the famine and fluoride poisoning after the fissure eruptions ensued. Around 80% of sheep, 50% of cattle and 50% of horses died because of dental fluorosis and skeletal fluorosis from the 8 million tons of hydrogen fluoride that were released.

I bet those skeletons all had really good teeth from all that fluoride.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Was there ever a good report on the fire that collapsed I-85 in Atlanta last year?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

El_Elegante posted:

Was there ever a good report on the fire that collapsed I-85 in Atlanta last year?

Wasn’t the city storing a shitload of flammable materials under the roadway?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Plastic conduit is what was reported, but I don’t understand how many policies were violated that led to someone having unauthorized access and starting a fire there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

It’s not like it was a secure gated area. Anyone walking by at ground level could have walked right in there and started a fire. This news article has a picture:

https://www.11alive.com/mobile/article/news/what-was-burning-under-the-i-85-overpass/427257767

Edit: Here's the NTSB report:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/HAB1802.pdf

It's pretty much "GDOT stored a bunch of stuff that could be set on fire under the overpass, some dude went in there and set that stuff on fire."

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 16, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I bet those skeletons all had really good teeth from all that fluoride.

You'd think but severe fluorosis actually fucks up the teeth by weakening the enamel through over-hardening, and likewise screws up the skeletal system by stiffening the bones into brittleness and painfully hardening cartilage and ligaments. A bunch of those survivors (livestock and otherwise) were probably pretty hosed up for a while.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Trabant posted:

Honestly, this is probably the most graceful way it could've gone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzPwYCvbAY8

Is it just me or did that truck driver keep going after losing the container?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Anyone else hear the General Lee's horn while watching this?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46230496

Am I reading this right?

So it sounds like Boeing came up with a way to stop pilots from accidentally stalling the plane, like what happened in that Air France crash. But now the plane will just pitch downwards whenever it feels like it? Even in manual mode. And they failed to tell anybody that they added this "feature" to the new model.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

untzthatshit posted:

Am I reading this right?

So it sounds like Boeing came up with a way to stop pilots from accidentally stalling the plane, like what happened in that Air France crash. But now the plane will just pitch downwards whenever it feels like it? Even in manual mode. And they failed to tell anybody that they added this "feature" to the new model.

Nothing official has been released about the crash yet, but that is a new system on the 737 MAX and Boeing says that pilots can handle it just like any other run away trim condition. Which is a bit questionable but we'll have to wait for any official reports to know what happened with this crash.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

Am I reading this right?

Enh...not really/sort of/yeah pretty much, in that order.

Plane's got two AoA sensors. If one of them breaks and shows a really high AoA, then the FCC will trim the horizontal stabilizer for a nose-down attitude. The pilot can ovverride this by adjusting the trim on his own, but if he stops doing that then the FCC will just keep trying. So he needs to pop the switch to cut out the automatic stabilizer trim system and just trim the thing on his own as needed.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Phanatic posted:

Enh...not really/sort of/yeah pretty much, in that order.

Plane's got two AoA sensors. If one of them breaks and shows a really high AoA, then the FCC will trim the horizontal stabilizer for a nose-down attitude. The pilot can ovverride this by adjusting the trim on his own, but if he stops doing that then the FCC will just keep trying. So he needs to pop the switch to cut out the automatic stabilizer trim system and just trim the thing on his own as needed.
spent way too much time trying to figure out why the federal communications commission is dicking around with planes en route

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

There's two competing narratives that I'm seeing, both revolve around the new system on the 737 MAX that pitches the nose of the aircraft down when it detects that the pilot is increasing the pitch of the aircraft to such a degree that it stalls the aircraft.

To understand why this was added, a little background on the Air France 447 crash. The plane was flying at a high altitude over the Atlantic when a problem with the airspeed sensors, probably ice blockage, caused the aircraft to stall. This disconnected the autopilot from full control (Normal Law) and put the aircraft systems into a state called Alternate Law 2. This caused the aircraft to be essentially in a minimal autopilot, with some systems still functioning to assist the pilot, but the pilot being in overall control of where the plane goes.

The crew reacted poorly to this change, and made excessive inputs on the controls that caused the aircraft to roll back and forth, and to climb very fast. To say that the crew panicked is not accurate, but he was clearly confused by what was happening. There were a lot of warnings going off initially, including the stall warning, but that ceased when Alternate Law 2 went into effect.

As he was getting the roll under control, the plane was rapidly climbing, which means it was losing airspeed equally rapidly. Just about the time the roll was getting under control, the plane's airspeed dropped enough that it finally stalled out.

During all this, the sensors started functioning properly again, but the improper reaction by the pilot in pulling the nose up so steeply prevented the aircraft from returning to Normal Law immediately. Essentially, the aircraft was in such a state that it was outside the programming of the autopilot, so it handled some basic stuff, but relied on the pilot to get the aircraft back to a normal state. A consequence of this is that the warnings stopped sounding.

When the crew implemented the proper stall recovery procedure, to pitch the nose down, the aircraft returned to Normal Law, which made the stall warning system start working again, setting of a loud alarm. The pilot instinctively reacted to this by stopping the nose down pitch, which caused the plane to go back to Alternate Law 2 and stop the warning.

The plane then essentially fell out of the sky fully intact until impact, with all of the flight systems fully functional.

It's heartbreaking to read about this playing out. The crew made a couple small but recoverable errors, and got the plane in a state that they didn't understand and because of that, when they did what was necessary to fix the problem, they started receiving warnings that viscerally made them want to do the exact opposite of what they needed to do to survive.

I'll add the competing narratives in a second post, this one is long as hell as it is.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

So, Boeing added a system to the 737 MAX to prevent this same thing from happening and, in the event that the crew put the plane into a similar state, to do what the pilot of Air France 447 did not do, to pitch the nose down, even if the pilot is instinctively pulling back to get the aircraft to climb. The system can, like any system on a modern aircraft, be switched off by the crew.

This is where things get murky.

The airline's narrative is that they and the crew were unaware of the system and so when the crew was presented with a situation where the system activated inappropriately, they lacked the necessary information to disengage the system and, as the system was specifically designed to not be able to be counteracted by pilot control inputs, the system flew the plane straight into the ocean.

Boeing's narrative is that they did what they were supposed to do, and point to another incident shortly before the crash where the system activated inappropriately but the crew was able to disconnect the system and land safely.

So, whether it was pilot error, the airline not informing the crew about the system, or Boeing not informing the airline properly about the system is still undetermined, and literally everyone talking to the media has a vested interest in pushing one narrative or another.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Azathoth posted:

To understand why this was added, a little background on the Air France 447 crash. The plane was flying at a high altitude over the Atlantic when a problem with the airspeed sensors, probably ice blockage, caused the aircraft to stall. This disconnected the autopilot from full control (Normal Law) and put the aircraft systems into a state called Alternate Law 2. This caused the aircraft to be essentially in a minimal autopilot, with some systems still functioning to assist the pilot, but the pilot being in overall control of where the plane goes.

It didn't stall at that point; it was still flying straight and level, it just had no airspeed indicators. It stalled when the junior pilot got confused and pitched the plane up.

quote:

The crew reacted poorly to this change, and made excessive inputs on the controls that caused the aircraft to roll back and forth, and to climb very fast. To say that the crew panicked is not accurate, but he was clearly confused by what was happening. There were a lot of warnings going off initially, including the stall warning, but that ceased when Alternate Law 2 went into effect.

The aircraft wasn't stalling when it entered AL2; the stall warning did sound when they started pitching up excessively. For whatever reason, this didn't stop Bonin from continuing to pull back on the stick basically until the plane hit the water.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
why did boeing even add that system? when we were talking about the air france flight a while ago it was noted that the reason no one noticed what the responsible pilot did was because aerobus averaged the inputs whereas boeing has the pilots "fight" each if they're not in sync

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

El_Elegante posted:

Plastic conduit is what was reported, but I don’t understand how many policies were violated that led to someone having unauthorized access and starting a fire there.

that area has a decent number of homeless people, who would find a sheltered, hidden spot like under a bridge overpass and hidden behind piles of construction material a very attractive place to hang out. combine that with a completely bullshit little fence and cops who don't care to go under the bridge and roust the homeless constantly and it was going to happen sooner or later

check out the spot on google street view, before and after - the fence got a lot more serious. you can even see desire lines off to the right, paths worn in the dirt from people walking who definitely were walking to the camping spot under the bridge and not along the sidewalk to pass beneath the bridge

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.813...!7i13312!8i6656

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ToxicFrog posted:

It didn't stall at that point; it was still flying straight and level, it just had no airspeed indicators. It stalled when the junior pilot got confused and pitched the plane up.

The aircraft wasn't stalling when it entered AL2; the stall warning did sound when they started pitching up excessively. For whatever reason, this didn't stop Bonin from continuing to pull back on the stick basically until the plane hit the water.

If the Air Crash Disaster episode was right, the junior pilot kept the control stick pinned, even when the first officer was trying to fly the plane correctly and doing the right things to solve the problem.

I am not sure what the system could do when a pilot was making a conscious effort to stall the plane, even when he wasn't supposed to be controlling it. How much power do you give automation over stupidity?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Azathoth posted:

There's two competing narratives that I'm seeing, both revolve around the new system on the 737 MAX that pitches the nose of the aircraft down when it detects that the pilot is increasing the pitch of the aircraft to such a degree that it stalls the aircraft.

To understand why this was added, a little background on the Air France 447 crash. The plane was flying at a high altitude over the Atlantic when a problem with the airspeed sensors, probably ice blockage, caused the aircraft to stall.

That is not correct. The ice blockage in the pitot tube merely deprived the flight control computers of airspeed data. Without airspeed data, this happened:

quote:

This disconnected the autopilot from full control (Normal Law) and put the aircraft systems into a state called Alternate Law 2.

because for the FCCs to operate in Normal Mode, they need to know the aircraft's airspeed. The aircraft did not stall until the complete muppet in the seat reacted to being in control of an airplane by pulling back on the stick at high altitude (and hence, pretty low airspeed).

quote:

During all this, the sensors started functioning properly again, but the improper reaction by the pilot in pulling the nose up so steeply prevented the aircraft from returning to Normal Law immediately. Essentially, the aircraft was in such a state that it was outside the programming of the autopilot, so it handled some basic stuff, but relied on the pilot to get the aircraft back to a normal state. A consequence of this is that the warnings stopped sounding.

When the crew implemented the proper stall recovery procedure, to pitch the nose down, the aircraft returned to Normal Law, which made the stall warning system start working again, setting of a loud alarm. The pilot instinctively reacted to this by stopping the nose down pitch, which caused the plane to go back to Alternate Law 2 and stop the warning.

This is also not corrrect. Once the FCCs fail down to Alternate Law, they will not move back up to Normal Law. Because failing down to Alternate Law means something went wrong, the software will not allow a return to Normal Law.

What you are probably thinking of is that the said, aforementioned complete muppet was pulling back so hard the plane was reaching an angle of attack that was beyond the realm of sanity-checking. The software in charge of setting off the stall warning looked at the AoA data and said "Whoa, there's no way that's right, the AoA data must be faulty," and stopped issuing the stall warning. Then, whenever Bonin would ease off on the stick and the nose would drop a bit, the AoA data started looking reasonable (still too high, but reasonable), and the alarm would go off again. So the actual effect of the alarm that was saying "Push the nose down, you loving idiot" was to make Bonin think "poo poo, I better pull back on the stick more!"

quote:

The plane then essentially fell out of the sky fully intact until impact, with all of the flight systems fully functional.

That is correct.

Azathoth posted:

The airline's narrative is that they and the crew were unaware of the system and so when the crew was presented with a situation where the system activated inappropriately, they lacked the necessary information to disengage the system and, as the system was specifically designed to not be able to be counteracted by pilot control inputs,

The system can totally be counteracted by pilot control inputs, specifically by manually setting trim. But until you disengage the autopilot it might keep trying to trim the nose down . Here's the actual advisory:

https://cdn.aviationtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-23-51_emergency.pdf

quote:

This emergency AD was prompted by analysis performed by the manufacturer showing that if an erroneously high single angle of attack (AOA) sensor input is received by the flight control system, there is a potential for repeated nose-down trim commands of the horizontal stabilizer. This condition, if not addressed, could cause the flight crew to have difficulty controlling the airplane, and lead to excessive nose-down attitude, significant altitude loss, and possible impact with terrain.

Runaway Stabilizer
Disengage autopilot and control airplane pitch attitude with control column
and main electric trim as required. If relaxing the column causes the trim to
move, set stabilizer trim switches to CUTOUT. If runaway continues, hold
the stabilizer trim wheel against rotation and trim the airplane manually.
Note: The 737-8/-9 uses a Flight Control Computer command of pitch
trim to improve longitudinal handling characteristics. In the event of
erroneous Angle of Attack (AOA) input, the pitch trim system can trim
the stabilizer nose down in increments lasting up to 10 seconds.
In the event an uncommanded nose down stabilizer trim is experienced
on the 737-8/-9, in conjunction with one or more of the indications or
effects listed below, do the existing AFM Runaway Stabilizer
procedure above, ensuring that the STAB TRIM CUTOUT switches
are set to CUTOUT and stay in the CUTOUT position for the
remainder of the flight.
An erroneous AOA input can cause some or all of the following
indications and effects:
• Continuous or intermittent stick shaker on the affected side only.
• Minimum speed bar (red and black) on the affected side only.
• Increasing nose down control forces.
• IAS DISAGREE alert.
• ALT DISAGREE alert.
• AOA DISAGREE alert (if the option is installed).
• FEEL DIFF PRESS light.
• Autopilot may disengage.
• Inability to engage autopilot.
Initially, higher control forces may be needed to overcome any
stabilizer nose down trim already applied. Electric stabilizer trim can be
used to neutralize control column pitch forces before moving the STAB
TRIM CUTOUT switches to CUTOUT. Manual stabilizer trim can be
used before and after the STAB TRIM CUTOUT switches are moved
to CUTOUT.

So if the thing starts trimming the horizontal stabilizer for force the nose down, you can counter by adjusting the trim yourself.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 16, 2018

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Phanatic posted:

What you are probably thinking of is that the said, aforementioned complete muppet was pulling back so hard the plane was reaching an angle of attack that was beyond the realm of sanity-checking. The software in charge of setting off the stall warning looked at the AoA data and said "Whoa, there's no way that's right, the AoA data must be faulty," and stopped issuing the stall warning. Then, whenever Bonin would ease off on the stick and the nose would drop a bit, the AoA data started looking reasonable (still too high, but reasonable), and the alarm would go off again. So the actual effect of the alarm that was saying "Push the nose down, you loving idiot" was to make Bonin think "poo poo, I better pull back on the stick more!"

It's crazy that the FCC automatically cancels an alarm under those conditions. If the AoA goes bananas like that I would expect the alarm to stay on, because regardless of whether the sensor is functioning there is something wrong and the pilot needs to intervene. If the AoA is okay then the pilot should be required to manually acknowledge the alarm. If the AoA is not okay then the alarm should clear when the AoA is good. But trying to be clever is just asking for trouble.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sorry about my confusion, and thanks for setting me right.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Sex Skeleton posted:

It's crazy that the FCC automatically cancels an alarm under those conditions. If the AoA goes bananas like that I would expect the alarm to stay on, because regardless of whether the sensor is functioning there is something wrong and the pilot needs to intervene. If the AoA is okay then the pilot should be required to manually acknowledge the alarm.

Increasing pilot workload when alarms are going off and poo poo is possibly going bad is generally not a good idea.

I also think it's crazy that in Normal Law if you try to stall the aircraft, the stall alarms/stick shaker/etc still go off. Even though you're not stalling the aircraft. In other words, the stall alarms are themselves *modal*, they mean two different things based upon which mode you're in:

Normal Law: "Hey, that thing you're going right now would kill everybody if you keep doing it, but I'm here to protect you so I'm not actually letting that happen. Share and enjoy!"
Alternate Law "OH MY GOD YOU IDIOT YOU'RE GOING TO KILL US ALL"

Modals are bad.

quote:

But trying to be clever is just asking for trouble.

Trying to be clever has saved countless lives, though, and by and large made air travel much safer. The trouble is that it also has led to a state of affairs where a lot of pilots are in fact average or mediocre, and when the automated systems fail and they're left to actually fly the airplane, they're out of power, out of control authority, or out of time, and they pile it in.

Here's a really good longform article on this:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash

quote:

these are generally known as “fourth generation” airplanes; they now constitute nearly half the global fleet. Since their introduction, the accident rate has plummeted to such a degree that some investigators at the National Transportation Safety Board have recently retired early for lack of activity in the field. There is simply no arguing with the success of the automation. The designers behind it are among the greatest unheralded heroes of our time. Still, accidents continue to happen, and many of them are now caused by confusion in the interface between the pilot and a semi-robotic machine. Specialists have sounded the warnings about this for years: automation complexity comes with side effects that are often unintended. One of the cautionary voices was that of a beloved engineer named Earl Wiener, recently deceased, who taught at the University of Miami....

Wiener pointed out that the effect of automation is to reduce the cockpit workload when the workload is low and to increase it when the workload is high. Nadine Sarter, an industrial engineer at the University of Michigan, and one of the pre-eminent researchers in the field, made the same point to me in a different way: “Look, as automation level goes up, the help provided goes up, workload is lowered, and all the expected benefits are achieved. But then if the automation in some way fails, there is a significant price to pay. We need to think about whether there is a level where you get considerable benefits from the automation but if something goes wrong the pilot can still handle it.”

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
It also fits with the problem of alarm management, which is a big topic in work safety.
The alarm for "you are seconds away from falling out of the sky" was less annoying/noticeable then the alarm for "you are minutes away from falling out of the sky". And the pilot understandably and lethally prioritized avoiding the second problem over the first.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Phanatic posted:

I also think it's crazy that in Normal Law if you try to stall the aircraft, the stall alarms/stick shaker/etc still go off. Even though you're not stalling the aircraft. In other words, the stall alarms are themselves *modal*, they mean two different things based upon which mode you're in:

I don't think that's how it works. In this it's mentioned that the stick shaker works by mechanical feedback from airflow over the wings. So if stall alarms or the stick shaker go off, it's because the airplane is stalling, regardless of normal/alternative law.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 16, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

quote:

reduce the cockpit workload when the workload is low and to increase it when the workload is high

Am I missing something? This sounds very redundant

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

jamal posted:

I don't think that's how it works. In this it's mentioned that the stick shaker works by mechanical feedback from airflow over the wings. So if stall alarms or the stick shaker go off, it's because the airplane is stalling, regardless of normal/alternative law.

That’s a Boeing aircraft, not an Airbus. In a Boeing you can stall the aircraft if you want to.

Edit: but I stand corrected nonetheless. In normal law you can get an airspeed warning, but you won’t get a stall warning unless the aircraft has failed into alternate.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 16, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Am I missing something? This sounds very redundant

it is redundant, you've got it right

when you have a pilot who is mostly just an automated machine tender, then when something goes wrong you don't want a dozen alarms going off all at once under the assumption that all of this information is useful to the pilot. it would be useful if the pilot could use all that information to determine an exact cause, but it would be better if there was one or two alarms saying exactly what the issue is so your less-skilled pilot can make a decision without having to sort through a dozen alarms to figure out the problem

the same problem is present in healthcare, everything that could beep does beep and so much of what a nurse ends up doing is parsing through warning alarms to figure out which are important and which can be ignored

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-14/ai-group-apprentice-dillon-wu-dies-in-unsafe-worksite/10429356

tl:dr first year metal working apprentice, employed by a company that is also a peak industry lobby group against things like 'unions' and 'workplace safety' is subcontracted out to a company with a known record of poor safety and dies alone welding in a confined space. now both companies are trying to avoid responsibility.

Is it actually allowed for people to weld in confined spaces alone in Austrialia?

Like you'd have to get a permit and have an attendant and a supervisor for that in the US. One dude can be the attendant and the supervisor if he's qualified but you absolutely can't just climb into a silo or whatever by yourself and do poo poo.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is it actually allowed for people to weld in confined spaces alone in Austrialia?

Like you'd have to get a permit and have an attendant and a supervisor for that in the US. One dude can be the attendant and the supervisor if he's qualified but you absolutely can't just climb into a silo or whatever by yourself and do poo poo.

Don't forget the fire watch!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

luxury handset posted:

the same problem is present in healthcare, everything that could beep does beep and so much of what a nurse ends up doing is parsing through warning alarms to figure out which are important and which can be ignored

It's funny, because aeronautics has already figured this out with concepts like the "dark panel" where, when everything is going right, all the indicator lights are off, and something only illuminates when there's a problem. They just need to apply that same concept to other kinds of messaging.

The air industry is actually responsible for a ton of the basic ergonomic concepts that are used (if the system designers are on the ball) anywhere you need high performance with minimal distraction and errors. Simple things like making the handles for throttle, mixture and propeller pitch all differently-shaped and distinguishable by touch, so that you can operate them without looking down. Or more subtle concepts like orienting all of the gauges so that the "operating correctly" position has the needle pointing straight up (rather than turning them all so that 0 is at the 8 o'clock position or whatever), so that you can scan over a hundred gauges in a second and immediately identify which ones aren't normal.

A lot of those lessons were learned at the cost of pilots' lives (mostly in WW2). People should really pay more attention to them

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It's funny, because aeronautics has already figured this out with concepts like the "dark panel" where, when everything is going right, all the indicator lights are off, and something only illuminates when there's a problem. They just need to apply that same concept to other kinds of messaging.

Gonna repost this again:

https://www.metafilter.com/148555/The-Overdose-Harm-in-a-Wired-Hospital

quote:

A 2011 investigation by the Boston Globe identified at least 216 deaths in the U. S. between January 2005 and June 2010 linked to alarm malfunction or alarm fatigue. In 2013, The Joint Commission, the main accreditor of American hospitals, issued an urgent directive calling on hospitals to improve alarm safety. The ECRI Institute, a nonprofit consulting organization that monitors data on medical errors, has listed alarm-related problems as the top technology hazard in healthcare in each of the last four years.

In the face of growing nationwide concern about alert fatigue, Barbara Drew, the UCSF researcher, set out to quantify the magnitude of the problem. For a full month in early 2013, she and her colleagues electronically tapped into the bedside cardiac alarms in UCSF’s five intensive care units, which monitored an average of 66 patients each day. Mind you, this is just the bedside cardiac monitor, which follows the patient’s EKG, heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate, and oxygen saturation. It does not include the IV machine alarms, mechanical ventilator alarms, bed exit alarms, or nurse call bell. Nor does it include any of the alerts in the computer system, such as the Septra overdose alert that Jenny Lucca overlooked.

Drew’s findings were shocking. Every day, the bedside cardiac monitors threw off some 187 audible alerts. No, not 187 audible alerts for all the beds in the five ICUs; 187 alerts were generated by the monitors in each patient’s room, an average of one alarm buzzing or beeping by the bedside every eight minutes. Every day, there were about 15,000 alarms across all the ICU beds. For the entire month, there were 381,560 alarms across the five ICUs. Remember, this is from just one of about a half-dozen systems connected to the patients, each tossing off its own alerts and alarms.

And those are just the audible ones.

I spent a day in Seattle with several of the Boeing engineers and human factors experts responsible for cockpit design in the company’s commercial fleet. “We created this group to look across all the different gauges and indicators and displays and put it together into a common, consistent set of rules,” Bob Myers, chief of the team, told me. “We are responsible for making sure the integration works out.”

I sat inside the dazzling cockpit of a 777 simulator with Myers and Alan Jacobsen, a technical fellow with the flight deck team, as they enumerated the hierarchy of alerts that pilots may see. They are:

* An impending stall leads to red lights, a red text message, a voice warning, and activation of the “stick shaker,” meaning that the steering wheel vibrates violently. “The plane is going to fall out of the sky if you don’t do anything,” Myers explained calmly.
* Further down the hierarchy are “warnings,” of which there are about 40. These are events that require immediate pilot awareness and rapid action, although they may not threaten the flight path. Believe it or not, an engine fire no longer merits a higher-level warning because it doesn’t affect the flight path. (“Fires in engines are almost nonevents now,” said Myers, because the systems to handle them are so robust.) The conventions for warnings are red lights, text and a voice alarm, but no stick shaker. Impressively, the color red is never used in the cockpit except for high-level warnings — that’s how much thought the industry has given to these standards.
* The next level down is a “caution,” and there are about 150 such situations. Cautions require immediate pilot awareness but may not require instant action. Having an engine quit in a multiengine plane generates only a caution (again, my jaw drops when I hear this), since the pilot may or may not have to do something right away, depending on the plane’s altitude. A failure of the air-conditioning system — which ultimately can lead to a loss of cabin pressure — is another caution event. With cautions, the lights and text are amber, and there is only one alert modality, usually visual.
* The final level is an “advisory,” like the failure of a hydraulic pump. Since jets are designed with massive redundancy, no action is required, but the pilot does need to know about it, since it might influence the way the landing gear responds late in the flight. Advisories trigger an amber text message — now indented — on the cockpit screen, and no warning light.

For every kind of alert, a checklist automatically pops up on a central screen to help guide the cockpit crew to a solution. The checklists are preprogrammed to match the problems that triggered the alert.

And that’s it...

When I told the Boeing engineers about my world — not only the frequency of computerized medication alerts, but also the ubiquity of alarms in our intensive care units — they were astonished. “Oh, my goodness,” was all Myers could say.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is it actually allowed for people to weld in confined spaces alone in Australia?

good question, i have no idea. I'll look it up.

edit: WorkSafe Victoria's Confined Spaces Compliance Code states that persons working in a confined space should have a permit, and have a person in continuous communication with them, however the Code is not the law that gets enforced, it's a guide for how to follow the OHS Act.

quote:

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY ACT 2004 - SECT 21
Duties of employers to employees

(1) An employer must, so far as is reasonably practicable, provide and maintain for employees of the employer a working environment that is safe and without risks to health.

Penalty: 1800 penalty units for a natural person;

9000 penalty units for a body corporate.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1), an employer contravenes that subsection if the employer fails to do any of the following—

(a) provide or maintain plant or systems of work that are, so far as is reasonably practicable, safe and without risks to health;

(b) make arrangements for ensuring, so far as is reasonably practicable, safety and the absence of risks to health in connection with the use, handling, storage or transport of plant or substances;

(c) maintain, so far as is reasonably practicable, each workplace under the employer's management and control in a condition that is safe and without risks to health;

(d) provide, so far as is reasonably practicable, adequate facilities for the welfare of employees at any workplace under the management and control of the employer;

(e) provide such information, instruction, training or supervision to employees of the employer as is necessary to enable those persons to perform their work in a way that is safe and without risks to health.

(3) For the purposes of subsections (1) and (2)—

(a) a reference to an employee includes a reference to an independent contractor engaged by an employer and any employees of the independent contractor; and

(b) the duties of an employer under those subsections extend to an independent contractor engaged by the employer, and any employees of the independent contractor, in relation to matters over which the employer has control or would have control if not for any agreement purporting to limit or remove that control.

(4) An offence against subsection (1) is an indictable offence.

so no, he shouldn't have been in there alone and I doubt he had a permit. Currently the penalty will only be a fine (the current value of a penalty unit is $161.19, so maximum $1,450, 710), but the ALP government is planning to introduce industrial manslaughter laws later this year.

https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/workplace-manslaughter-laws-to-protect-victorians/

Copying the best state (Queensland) but we won't hold that against them.

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/laws-and-compliance/compliance-and-enforcement/penalties/industrial-manslaughter-offence

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 17, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EkToATjUJ0

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/zVQZuxg.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

spog posted:

I am not sure what the system could do when a pilot was making a conscious effort to stall the plane, even when he wasn't supposed to be controlling it. How much power do you give automation over stupidity?

It's worth noting that (as mentioned upthread) other flavours of plane have the pilots and co-pilot's controls mechanically linked, so that they always have the same position; if one pilot is trying to climb and the other is trying to dive, they have to physically fight each other, and when you put your hands on the stick it's immediately obvious what the other pilot is doing because those movements are reflected in your own controls.

The Airbus instead averages those inputs, so if one pilot pushes the stick forward and the other pushes it back nothing happens, and it's not obvious to either pilot why. It also has a "give me exclusive control and cut out the other pilot" button, but, IIRC, the more experienced pilot pressed that and then the junior pilot pressed his as well, taking back control -- and again it was not obvious to either pilot when control had been taken away.