Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

What's the point of the Veloster N over an i30 N?

The i30 N isn't sold in North America. The i30 is sold as the Elantra GT, but there is no N model coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FBS posted:

That's a good price for the performance but I think I killed my enthusiasm for the Veloster N when I sat in a regular Veloster at the dealership a couple months back. That interior really is cheap.

But the real question is what supply will be like and how the dealers will be with the N models. And I have yet to see a single 2019 Veloster of any kind out in traffic around DFW.

Well the regular Veloster has a torsion bar rear and the N has a proper multi-link setup.
Hopefully they do the same level of reworking to the interior.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You can also get an Elantra GT Sport in NA which is 200hp and is kind of a poor man's GTI maybe?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

prom candy posted:

You can also get an Elantra GT Sport in NA which is 200hp and is kind of a poor man's GTI maybe?

But no heated seats or steering wheel availability with the stickshift.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Pretty sure we get both in Canada.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

babby bronco leaked.

A lot boxier than the teaser suggested. Seems to be aimed at the Jeep Renegade.

It looks like a lifted Scion xB :v:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Powershift posted:

babby bronco leaked.

A lot boxier than the teaser suggested. Seems to be aimed at the Jeep Renegade.

weird Flex but ok

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It looks like a lifted Scion xB :v:

So you're saying it's a set of lowering springs away from the AWD brown manual wagon of our dreams??

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

i own every Bionicle posted:

weird Flex but ok

Lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I thought the new Bronco was supposed to compete with the Wrangler. What a let down, but that's to be expected I guess.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
There's another Bronco yet to be shown that is the bigger one to compete with the Wrangler.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

weird Flex but ok

Now I want an ICON Flex

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

I thought the new Bronco was supposed to compete with the Wrangler. What a let down, but that's to be expected I guess.

That's the vehicle that's going to slot below the Bronco. Possibly called Maverick. Hence why everyone is referring to it as the Baby Bronco.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The real question is, what's the chances of them putting a hot engine in it?

To me, one the the failings of the renegade (besides the normal garbage Dodge stuff) is that there wasn't a really hot version.

Put the RS engine in the thing and it might be a hoot (depending on weight.)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You'll take the 2.0 Ecoboost (in Escape trim, not ST spec) and you'll like it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Q_res posted:

You'll take the 2.0 Ecoboost (in Escape trim, not ST spec) and you'll boost the poo poo out of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Q_res posted:

That's the vehicle that's going to slot below the Bronco. Possibly called Maverick. Hence why everyone is referring to it as the Baby Bronco.

Ahhh ok. What are the odds of big Bronco actually being a convertible though, I'll be shocked if it is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

prom candy posted:

I’m driving an i30 right now and it’s kind of underwhelming.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Ahhh ok. What are the odds of big Bronco actually being a convertible though, I'll be shocked if it is.

I'm expecting at most a panoramic glass roof, or maybe if we're lucky removable (small to middling) roof panels.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Q_res posted:

You'll take the 2.0 Ecoboost (in Escape trim, not ST spec) and you'll like it.

That's a lame way to spell 5.0L Coyote.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

BloodBag posted:

That's a lame way to spell 5.0L Coyote.

speaking of which

how come the the 5.2 flat-plane seems to kind of died off? Since the 350's came out I havn't heard a peep of anyone talking about the engines, using them in any conversions, nothing really.

Maybe I'm just not paying that much attention, but the car was so hyped for the engine and sound, and than it lands and nothing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Because the only thing really special about it is the sound.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm guessing it just takes a while for an expensive high performance motor to get tinkered on by speed shops.
If no 350s wreck, then they'll have to order one from Ford.
I suspect who's owning and using 350s right now might also play into that -- people who might not care for building those motors right away, especially if it was a good effort from Ford out of the box.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Morphix posted:

speaking of which

how come the the 5.2 flat-plane seems to kind of died off? Since the 350's came out I havn't heard a peep of anyone talking about the engines, using them in any conversions, nothing really.

Maybe I'm just not paying that much attention, but the car was so hyped for the engine and sound, and than it lands and nothing.

its not like anyone here can afford a GT350

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Two of my co workers got 350s. One has required two total engine replacements, and the other has had nonstop issues with every single aspect of cooling, fuel, and electrics. Both have since sold their 350s. One got a ZL1 and the other just downgraded to a regular GT

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m driving an i30 right now and it’s kind of underwhelming.

Does that have the same 1.6T in it as the GT Sport? I took the GT Sport for a test drive. Way nicer interior than the Civic but ultimately less dick tingling.

weird Flex but ok

:perfect:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

its not like anyone here can afford a GT350

There are a couple in the Mustang thread

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The Voodoo is sort of in a weird spot. It's a really great track engine but on the street you can't really use it. No power until 4k rpm and if you wind it out in 2nd gear you are doing 80mph so you can't even enjoy the sound that much.

edit: Not that that kind of thing stops people from owning Ferraris but I suspect most people that buy any sort of Mustang appreciate being able to hoon it at low speed.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 16, 2018

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Honestly, the Coyote had that problem too. I couldn't really romp on it on the streets because it would get moving so drat fast. I can only imagine the Voodoo being so much worse.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Q_res posted:

Honestly, the Coyote had that problem too. I couldn't really romp on it on the streets because it would get moving so drat fast. I can only imagine the Voodoo being so much worse.

I just had a Hellcat Redeye and it was the same. As a road car it’s slow as poo poo because if you don’t baby the throttle it just spins the wheels (so forget about going for that gap in traffic). Took it to a drag so I could open it up a bit; only got one run but at least the car made sense.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Two of my co workers got 350s. One has required two total engine replacements, and the other has had nonstop issues with every single aspect of cooling, fuel, and electrics. Both have since sold their 350s. One got a ZL1 and the other just downgraded to a regular GT

Strange, I vaguely remember reading about some unreliability issues with the engines. Two engines is kind of crazy on a car I'm assuming has less than 50k miles.

Do Ferrari flat-plane engines require the same engine rebuild intervals? Is this just sort of inherent to flat-plane engines?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Morphix posted:

Do Ferrari flat-plane engines require the same engine rebuild intervals? Is this just sort of inherent to flat-plane engines?

Rebuild as in replacing parts -- valves, crank, pistons, rings? Does any production car require rebuilds?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

prom candy posted:

Does that have the same 1.6T in it as the GT Sport? I took the GT Sport for a test drive. Way nicer interior than the Civic but ultimately less dick tingling.

Nah, pretty sure it’s the 1.4 Kappa 100hp MPI. The platform is loud and kind of wanders around the road. I’m sure with some tuning it would be better but an equivalently poo poo VW, Opel, or Skoda drives a lot better.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
If the new baby Bronco is based on the new Ranger chassis, then yes it will have the 2.3 that the Mustang and RS use.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

If the new baby Bronco is based on the new Ranger chassis, then yes it will have the 2.3 that the Mustang and RS use.

Pretty sure the big boy bronco is ranger based. Betting the babbby bronco is escape based.

Hell, who knows, it could all be CD6 and it could be RWD based with the 2.3 in the babby bronco and 2.7 in the big boy bronco

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Huge_Midget posted:

Which is great because an intercooler and tune really bring out some extra power. Really hope the bronco has a stick. Was the ranger supposed to get a manual or only the 10spd?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

Rebuild as in replacing parts -- valves, crank, pistons, rings? Does any production car require rebuilds?

oh sorry ya I guess I was speaking in general terms. Are flat-plane engines less reliable than cross-plane? In Inline 4's they seem to be great, why is the V8 on the Ford falling apart so quickly.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Morphix posted:

Strange, I vaguely remember reading about some unreliability issues with the engines. Two engines is kind of crazy on a car I'm assuming has less than 50k miles.

Im very new to the brand so I don't speak from personal experience but from what I've been made to understand so far is that Ferrari engines are fairly robust. I would say the answer to your question is no.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Morphix posted:

oh sorry ya I guess I was speaking in general terms. Are flat-plane engines less reliable than cross-plane? In Inline 4's they seem to be great, why is the V8 on the Ford falling apart so quickly.

Inline 4 and V8 engines differ due to the two banks of cylinders firing against eachother in the V8. Flat plane crankshafts in a V8 are like two I4 engines stuck together, and they vibrate like a motherfucker.

Cross plane crankshafts were developed with more counterweights and a different firing order among the cylinders specifically to deal with the roughness of flat plane crankshafts.

Even aside from the low production volume, high performance thing working against the 5.2L being reliable, it'll also straight up need to be rebuilt sooner due to running more harshly.

Also anyone telling you Ferraris are robust is either full of poo poo or comparing them to even lower volume exotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Morphix posted:

Are flat-plane engines less reliable than cross-plane? In Inline 4's they seem to be great, why is the V8 on the Ford falling apart so quickly.

Not in any way that comes from their being flat-plane, I don't think.
The biggest Ferrari flat-plane is the 4.5L in the 458 -- I bet keeping the displacement and pistons smaller helps with the additional imbalance of pairs of pistons moving together.