Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

This is a really pathetic and bad faith take.

I said Lee would support Pelosi because she's going to get a leadership position if she does and that Pelosi would likely not give her a leadership position if Lee didn't support Pelosi. That's pretty common and historically accurate for the way House caucus politics works.

But you then declare it a conspiracy theory worth dismissing because well you said so.

What are you even talking about

What does it have to do with my original post

What do you think you're demonstrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here's your hilariously close election of the cycle. I hadn't heard of a tie yet.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1063520099401912321

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It seems odd to me that there are no willing alternatives. Is it just that everyone has presidential ambitions and know the position will essentially kill that? Are they scared of retribution? Is there just no one else that wants to lead?

I have a hard time believing Pelosi is the best we've got when she is the only one that we've had in the last 2 decades. What are we even comparing her to at this point?

Honestly it's a poo poo job that no one really wants, you can't do it without being willing to compromise, you have to be tactful and master sufficient :decorum: that you don't strangle some stupid caucus member on a regular basis and you'll get all the blame for everything that goes wrong and none of the credit for what does get done because it's invariably going to be some compromised crap that makes no one entirely happy. Oh yeah and kiss any aspirations for a Senate Seat or the Presidency goodbye because that necessity to compromise is going to screw over your election prospects.

You also have to be willing to push through bills that you personally object too because it's the will of your stupid caucus or some other pragmatic reason.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

:same:

I'm referring to immediately after AOC's win when she disregarded its significance as "just one district" and that the push left it represents has nothing to do with the Democratic party as a whole.

And, if she has her way, she'll be right, so fair enough.

I like AOC a lot, and she'll be around a long time, but she's not representative of a sea change, and demographic changes were a huge part of her victory.

That's not to criticize demographic changes - I think it's very good that her district's Rep looks and thinks like those she represents.

Lucania
May 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus christ. i mean know spec ops dudes are usually hosed up and such, but they arnt loving mister blonde. did he get sent to jail? because NYT is demanding money so i can't see.

Yes, he's in pretrial confinement because he tried to intimidate witnesses. He's been charged with premeditated murder, attempted murder, and some other stuff - they expect it to go to trial next year.

He's accused of stabbing to death a teenage ISIS fighter who other SEALs were attempting to save. He and some others in his platoon posed with the body and he held the teenager's head up with one hand and a hunting knife in the other. His lawyer said that these types of photos have been in every Iraq case he has done so yikes.

That quoted excerpt in the tweet makes him sound like Amon Göth.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol @ "people only want to talk about the House wherein the results were better than most eras" no poo poo. two loving senate seats when you already had a majority isn't a major deal when on the other hand the entire House crushed your majority and now hold the keys to curbstomp all of your dreams

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

The people who actually work with her think she's amazingly good at her job

That depends on what you consider her job to be. I happen to think she's poo poo at her job.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

AOC showing up in her office was a pre-cleared photo op, and both expressed their support for the other during that. For all her faults, this isn't one.

It's almost as if many of these Dems are a Waste attacks aren't entirely in good faith.

Trabisnikof posted:

What's the point of saying "Republicans evil!" over and over again when we all agree on that?

What's the point of "Dems are a Waste" over and over again? It's not like any of the Dems are a waste brigade ever offer any actual answers to the problem (which remains vote for the best/leastbad candidate in every race).

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Pelosi, who went out of her way to help a conservative Democrat (who is now voting against her for speaker) fend off a primary challenge from the left, when she could have at least just remained neutral, and who immediately did everything she could to distance herself and her party from the youngest woman ever elected to Congress - a woman who is now widely regarded as the future of the party - is not, in any sense: ideologically, politically, pragmatically, equipped or even inclined to prepare real progressives in the House for anything.

Um I'm not sure how you define a single 3 word answer to an off the cuff question as going out of her way, but I ask again, are there any Democratic incumbents that she didn't endorse? Seems like an important and relevant question when it comes to your argument here.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

That depends on what you consider her job to be. I happen to think she's poo poo at her job.

Neat when did you start working with her

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

eke out posted:

yeah they said it's supposed to be private now - after Comey previously saying he'd happily come again, but only if it was public

presumably they want to do what they've done constantly with others: have it in a closed-door session then lie to the press about it

Although wouldn't the Democratic controlled committee just be able to release the transcript in January

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Neat when did you start working with her

This just in you can't criticize the job Donald Trump is doing if you don't work in the White House

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1063513201168523265
https://twitter.com/RepMarciaFudge/status/1063509882165518337
:allears:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

This just in you can't criticize the job Donald Trump is doing if you don't work in the White House
VitalSigns you can't possibly be this stupid

I know you're on the hunt for bootlickers right now but it's almost like my post was made in a specific context

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

mcmagic posted:

I consider her job to be speaker of the house and caucus leader, her job is to herd cats and try to pass legislation to keep the government functioning and ideally to make life better for the citizens. And given the circumstances she has to work under she does a good job.
What do you consider it to be?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1063513061116571649

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Skex posted:

I consider her job to be speaker of the house and caucus leader, her job is to herd cats and try to pass legislation to keep the government functioning and ideally to make life better for the citizens. And given the circumstances she has to work under she does a good job.

I mean she can do that by just saying "gently caress you" and "no" to anything that comes through the door that doesn't have "DEMOCRAT" at the top of it. The fact is that it's what the Republicans did and it obviously has not hurt them one loving bit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

So he's relented on screaming "fraud"?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/Kherman112/status/1063290474910236673

a.lo posted:

he was in the youth police officer program too

What was his Reddit account?

https://twitter.com/egavactip/status/1063469426270453760

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skex posted:

Were there any incumbent Democrats that she didn't endorse?

I mean on the face yes that looks pretty awful. But she's also not just any Democrat as Minority leader she was kind of expected to support elected Democrats even if she doesn't necessarily see eye to eye with them. If for no other reason than because incumbency is an electoral advantage and as the Minority leader her priority has to be getting the majority and you don't do that by endorsing challengers

Dan Lipinski represents IL-3, a D+6 district, there was no chance of it going GOP even without incumbency advantage.

Skex posted:

also do you really believe that her endorsement swung that primary?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Josef bugman posted:

I mean she can do that by just saying "gently caress you" and "no" to anything that comes through the door that doesn't have "DEMOCRAT" at the top of it. The fact is that it's what the Republicans did and it obviously has not hurt them one loving bit.

Yeah, I remember the red wave from last week. Brutal stuff.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

VitalSigns posted:

Dan Lipinski represents IL-3, a D+6 district, there was no chance of it going GOP even without incumbency advantage.

He was the one running against the actual Illinois Nazi. Lipinski is also pretty openly anti-lgbt.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skex posted:

That is part of it. She's very good at vote counting internally herding cats. I would also add Develop winning strategies for getting and maintaining political power. Move the caucus in the right direction policy wise. Effectively craft a national democratic message that wins electorally. She's terrible at everything but the first.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1063517548258447361

He's really sticking with utter denial for his coping mechanism. Really looking forward to this epic win for him and the GOP resulting in his taxes being leaked and investigations reignited.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

VitalSigns you can't possibly be this stupid

I know you're on the hunt for bootlickers right now but it's almost like my post was made in a specific context

The context of selective double standards for criticizing politicians you like versus politicians you don't?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MadJackal posted:

He's really sticking with utter denial for his coping mechanism. Really looking forward to this epic win for him and the GOP resulting in his taxes being leaked and investigations reignited.

Le epic victory!!!111

If only the public had access to this information

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/NaomiAKlein/status/1063522959690788865 for any talks of Pelosi's great legacy

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

haha even a cap-and-trade bill written by the fossil fuel industry was still too much of an affront to the fossil fuel industry for the Senate Dems

we're all gonna die lol

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

It's all the more egregious because Lipinski is anti-abortion and the prototypical evil "blue dog" democrat

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

That is part of it. She's very good at vote counting internally herding cats. I would also add Develop winning strategies for getting and maintaining political power. Move the caucus in the right direction policy wise. Effectively craft a national democratic message that wins electorally. She's terrible at everything but the first.

We just had the most massive wave in generations in a year without a Democrat president, so she was going to get more of the blame than usual if they did poorly. Is that just 100% Trump and Pelosi gets no credit at all? During the Obama years, he was the head of the party, you gotta go back to GWB's 2 mid-terms before you can look for places to start blaming her for failures.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Skex posted:

What's the point of "Dems are a Waste" over and over again? It's not like any of the Dems are a waste brigade ever offer any actual answers to the problem (which remains vote for the best/leastbad candidate in every race).

Political action involves more than voting. Activism is about more than electing a representative, but getting the representatives to do what you want. While some of this is just people blowing off steam on the internet, there's nothing to be gained from just letting Democrats do whatever the gently caress they want because they don't have power, because eventually they will.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
When Chuck Schumer has to invent an imaginary ideal of the average voter in his head to interrogate about what politics should be, it's even more important to yell at these people

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, I remember the red wave from last week. Brutal stuff.

But they still have what they want as a party. "More Money for Us, gently caress you". They are going to have control over the SC for the next 20+ years too, maybe the senate for a similar amount of time. It also doesn't hurt to motivate ones base beyond "we aren't the other guys".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Long overdue dog tax: Photos of dogs trying to catch treats > https://www.boredpanda.com/dogs-cat...ampaign=organic

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1063531582667972608

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 16, 2018

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/katearonoff/status/1063507622823890945?s=21

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Skex posted:

It doesnt accomplish anything. Much like the democrats :mmmsmug:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

MadJackal posted:

He didn't call it a red wave. Very low effort.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Madkal posted:

He didn't call it a red wave. Very low effort.

Red wave always makes me think of the first couple days of a menstrual period, which is kinda funny considering how much that stuff freaks Republicans out.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

VitalSigns posted:

Doesn't answer either of my questions. First were there any incumbent democrats who Pelosi didn't support? This is an important question because if there weren't then it pretty much confirms that she did her job as minority leader in supporting elected Democrats regardless of their individual platforms rather than it being any sign of her ideological preferences. As to the other question, given that as best I can find her endorsement was pretty much a perfunctory "yes I do" when asked if she supported him was he running adds highlighting her support? Was she stumping for him? Or was the race just one that the lovely constituency picked the shittier candidate? The fact that it was a close primary doesn't necessarily argue that the absence of her perfunctory endorsement would have swayed the election against him.

I'm not saying that she's perfect and doesn't deserve criticism I'm saying cherry picking particular instances where you consider that she made a bad choice without paying attention to the context in which those "bad" choices were made paints a distorted picture and leads me to question whether the argument is being presented in good faith.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How much is it costing Papadopoulos in legal fees to try to avoid 14 days in jail. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lucania posted:

Yes, he's in pretrial confinement because he tried to intimidate witnesses. He's been charged with premeditated murder, attempted murder, and some other stuff - they expect it to go to trial next year.

He's accused of stabbing to death a teenage ISIS fighter who other SEALs were attempting to save. He and some others in his platoon posed with the body and he held the teenager's head up with one hand and a hunting knife in the other. His lawyer said that these types of photos have been in every Iraq case he has done so yikes.

That quoted excerpt in the tweet makes him sound like Amon Göth.

how the gently caress did he get past the screening. like yeah gently caress the cult of the operator and filled with chud types and all that, but usually these dudes get found out and drummed out pretty quick. the military doesn't like its human weapons go batshit.

MadJackal posted:

yeah. he is desperate for any kind of win. sure the chuds don't mind but the other GOP types do.