Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

the amazing thing is sheltering the homeless in affordable/free housing isn't that expensive and would also get them out of sight of the bourgeoisie.

Utah does this, because for all their many problems, Mormons do seem to care about actually doing things Jesus said to do.

It works super well because not only do homeless get a home, social services knows where to find them and help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Put all the unemployed people to work building houses for the homeless, bam society solved

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Put all the unemployed people to work building houses for the homeless, bam society solved

You've constructed this like it's a joke but....

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shame Boy posted:

Good job, now you don't have any unemployed to employ or homeless to house. You're obsolete and your initiative is redundant. You have failed. And for what?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shame Boy posted:

Like some kind of... Infrastructure bill?? Madness

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

spankmeister posted:

It's hypocritical as gently caress though, as per usual with Russia, because they're the ones promoting far-right extremism in Europe and the US to destabilize the west.

Yeah, pay real close attention to the votes and abstentions. This was an effort to score rhetorical points against Ukraine over the civil war/occupation. Now, to be fair, Ukraine does have Nazis fighting for it, but so does Russia, because twentieth-century Eastern European history is messy and complex.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

PostNouveau posted:

Utah does this, because for all their many problems, Mormons do seem to care about actually doing things Jesus said to do.

It works super well because not only do homeless get a home, social services knows where to find them and help them.

Yeah, as much as I dislike Mormonism, they tend to want to do good people things. they usually vote republican and are usually crazy ignorant but that’s starting to change.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

You've constructed this like it's a joke but....

It was Alf's solution to poverty and homelessness, and yeah.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

the factorio player in me died looking at this mess

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zegermans posted:

the factorio player in me died looking at this mess

Right? Like really what is even happening here I get that it is "automation" I want to know why little robots are shuffling around aimlessly dropping packages in holes instead of having the people putting packages on the robots just drop them directly into those holes.

I see one precarious about to fall package and this is their selected clip to show to the world so what, everything halts when something falls while a person goes to put it back on the roomba-scale-bot?

Are they sorting by weight? There's no way that's an efficient way to do it.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Right? Like really what is even happening here I get that it is "automation" I want to know why little robots are shuffling around aimlessly dropping packages in holes instead of having the people putting packages on the robots just drop them directly into those holes.

I see one precarious about to fall package and this is their selected clip to show to the world so what, everything halts when something falls while a person goes to put it back on the roomba-scale-bot?

Are they sorting by weight? There's no way that's an efficient way to do it.

with this system you can have one person drop the same amount of packages into holes as three people

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Imagine four packages at the edge of a cliff...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're sorting by total cost to produce whole system including the code for the robots. also investor storytime

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1063484480902623232

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gently caress the Nerdist and gently caress this poo poo.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

mycomancy posted:

gently caress the Nerdist and gently caress this poo poo.

i wonder if the person pretending to be excited about the Cereal Mascot Cinematic Universe (or CMCU) is constantly regretting every life decision they've made or if they are just completely dead inside

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

babypolis posted:

i wonder if the person pretending to be excited about the Cereal Mascot Cinematic Universe (or CMCU) is constantly regretting every life decision they've made or if they are just completely dead inside

i dunno, tweeting from your bed or the beach or a coffee shop sounds like an okay gig

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Nerdist is about at capitalism dot pee en gee as you can get, a multi-million dollar entertainment company that...talks about liking other companies' products.

loving parasites.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Poop turning blue is canon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat

boar guy posted:

i dunno, tweeting from your bed or the beach or a coffee shop sounds like an okay gig

Yeah, being a bootlicker for corporations often is.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, being a bootlicker for corporations often is.

i would like to buy one of your garage screen printed che guevara t shirts please

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat
I don't really see the logic of defending people who promote BrAnDs for a living in a thread about the pointless excesses of capitalism. Brands are bad. Turning brands into people / friends / culture is bad.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I don't really see the logic of defending people who promote BrAnDs for a living in a thread about the pointless excesses of capitalism. Brands are bad. Turning brands into people / friends / culture is bad.

i agree but im definitely madder at the dumb gently caress that thinks a boo berry movie is a good idea than i am at the guy tweeting it out to the people who care

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

:same:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5TnZYOrY7Y
:barf:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress that, when they started with "properties are distributed at random," THAT RUINS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE loving GAME OH CHRIST WHY DID YOU DO THIS

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
the monopoly game was supposed to be a criticism of capitalism :cripes:

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Mouth to rear end.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Monopoly sucks as a game and as criticism

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Monopoly sucks as a game and as criticism

the Landlord's game, which is basically the georgist criticism, is good af inasmuch as the badness of the game renders it good as criticism. monopoly is just confused cuz they tried to gussy it up to make it a good game with no understanding of the mathematics behind why it's a poo poo game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That warehouse thing is strange because theoretically the controller should know where every drone is so why is there a traffic jam in the first two seconds of the video and why does the first one sit there for like 10 seconds before depositing its package. Makes no sense to do that

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That said someone really needs to do an explicity marxist economic board game

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1510/class-struggle

it's dog shite

the essence of a modern german-style board game is an inherent system of levelling in the game mechanics, to make it more fun. not compatible with showing you unfairness

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

That warehouse thing is strange because theoretically the controller should know where every drone is so why is there a traffic jam in the first two seconds of the video and why does the first one sit there for like 10 seconds before depositing its package. Makes no sense to do that

Isn't the idea that each robot is independent, so it's more robust and scalable and you don't need to gently caress about making everything talk to everything else?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

StashAugustine posted:

Red Markets is a RPG with a lot of boardgamey elements. If you can stand zombies.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the Landlord's game, which is basically the georgist criticism, is good af inasmuch as the badness of the game renders it good as criticism. monopoly is just confused cuz they tried to gussy it up to make it a good game with no understanding of the mathematics behind why it's a poo poo game

wasn't there some early version of it where a majority of players could decide to abolish private property and end the game, with the whole point being that the game always gets into a slow spiral and so that would always happen?

it's a real poo poo game mechanic but nonetheless owns

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

often nobody actually cares if these things work at any level.

the programmers and the roboticists will get nice bonuses for the individual pieces
marketing will sell it on fantastical numbers and it will ship [even if only a demo] so they get a nice bonus
the vp responsible will get a nice bonus. look at all those good news emails going around. they'll leave long before any problems come back to them.

on the other end, the promises they're selling can be used to get the customer-side vp a nice bonus by projecting big savings.
that vp will also leave before the failure comes back to them.

the project will be shitcanned in a few years, which is actually good because you don't have to maintain it.
20% of the time the project succeeds despite all of this and the company remains solvent on the back of it
this flash in the pan will then be breathlessly emulated for years without a single person understanding why it worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

StashAugustine posted:

Good loving luck making one that can be played by non-grognards