Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

StashAugustine posted:

That said someone really needs to do an explicity marxist economic board game

Not really a board game, but> https://www.old-games.com/download/4428/stalin-s-dilemma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1510/class-struggle

it's dog shite

the essence of a modern german-style board game is an inherent system of levelling in the game mechanics, to make it more fun. not compatible with showing you unfairness

I was thinking doing a euro style thing where everyone plays factory owners doing a simplified economy where labor is a significant input and also tied to consumption of goods you produce, and as time goes on opportunities for expansion dry up so you have to cut labor costs which results in a crisis of overproduction. You cpuld probably make it work

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
chutes and ladders is basically capitalism: the game, too

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

monopoly but you beat up the winner and redistribute their monopoly money

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

StashAugustine posted:

I was thinking doing a euro style thing where everyone plays factory owners doing a simplified economy where labor is a significant input and also tied to consumption of goods you produce, and as time goes on opportunities for expansion dry up so you have to cut labor costs which results in a crisis of overproduction. You cpuld probably make it work

Mensch ärgere Dich nicht. Just like the stock exchange fueled economy, your success is decided entirely by a dice roll and there is no point at which you are in control of your fortune.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
A truly marxist game would be a skirmish/wargame that's just a lowkey way to plan revolutionary actions

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Warhammer But Communist

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MizPiz posted:

A truly marxist game would be a skirmish/wargame that's just a lowkey way to plan revolutionary actions

So, Mafia? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

No, I mean "Warhammer but one side represents you and your comrades and the other represents the potential hostiles"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Warhammer doesnt seem to be a good model.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Warhammer doesnt seem to be a good model.

you gotta play tau

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wir Sind Das Volk! is a great one

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Poniard posted:

monopoly but you beat up the winner and redistribute their monopoly money

I think that's basically how anti-monopoly works, a game I only know about because they were sued by Milton Bradley for the use of the name "monopoly", asserting that they had a monopoly on games called monopoly. MB lost iirc.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

please knock Mom! posted:

Wir Sind Das Volk! is a great one

Its extremely good and also introduced me to German punk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pvxOQIhdjC0

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Trying to give Monopoly a way to win without killing everybody else is sort of missing the point, though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm always the banker and I cheat like crazy and as far as I am concerned that is fine; the only true crime is getting caught.

Monopoly is a hell game. You don't even do anything. The optimal strategy is buy every square you land on and then roll dice and hope you get good rolls.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Nov 17, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

I'm always the banker and I cheat like crazy and as far as I am concerned that is fine; the only true crime is making people play Monopoly

:yeah:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

I'm always the banker and I cheat like crazy and as far as I am concerned that is fine the only true crime is getting caught.

Monopoly is a hell game lol. You don't even do anything. The optimal strategy is buy every square you land on and then roll dice and hope you get good rolls.

No the optimal strategy is to pass on every property sending it directly to auction so you can either get it for cheap or cause someone to spend more money than it's worth.

Also free parking is a houserule that everyone just uses and accepts as a real thing for some reason. Don't do that either.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

No the optimal strategy is to pass on every property sending it directly to auction so you can either get it for cheap or cause someone to spend more money than it's worth.

Also free parking is a houserule that everyone just uses and accepts as a real thing for some reason. Don't do that either.

Yeah then you get a douche like me who will bid up to the face value no matter what so in any case you're either paying what you would have or more than that. But even if you're right there's still nothing involved with that you just do the same thing every time and hope you get good rolls.

But yeah free parking is fake news.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Land on free parking and refuse to roll any further. Homeless encampments of propertyless players are natural endpoint Monopoly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A friend of mine wanted to play Monopoly a few months back and I agreed under the condition we played rules as written. It was a tight quick game and ended in under an hour. It's still not a good game but games actually end that way.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

Land on free parking and refuse to roll any further. Homeless encampments of propertyless players are natural endpoint Monopoly.

then I break out the Risk pieces as I recruit and arm a People’s Army out of the homeless encampments. the last capitalist standing gets to sell me the rope

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH1kfdtXBp4

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zong_massacre

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Start with monopoly end with Cuba Libre

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ya a truly Marxist game would start out settlers of catan, progress through monopoly and then end with the players murdering the winning player, discarding the game and instead realising a collaborative scientific or artistic project from which they all benefit.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this thread has made me spend the past several hours figuring out a Late-Stage Monopoly where you play as captains of industry by virtue of inheriting your late fathers wealth. the last capitalist standing wins. there’s a bunch of nefarious poo poo you can do to each other. also if you draw the card where you realize the brutality of late stage capitalism you have to occupy Free Parking, immediately sell all your assets to the bank, and use the money to arm the homeless and poors who will form your People’s Army as they lay siege to the capitalist class, fighting both sides of the board all the way back to Go.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

this thread has made me spend the past several hours figuring out a Late-Stage Monopoly where you play as captains of industry by virtue of inheriting your late fathers wealth. the last capitalist standing wins. there’s a bunch of nefarious poo poo you can do to each other. also if you draw the card where you realize the brutality of late stage capitalism you have to occupy Free Parking, immediately sell all your assets to the bank, and use the money to arm the homeless and poors who will form your People’s Army as they lay siege to the capitalist class, fighting both sides of the board all the way back to Go.

I definitely think you could also just paint over vanilla monopoly to make it into late-stage capitalism monopoly. Just replace the different streets with various sectors of the economy so you'd have the three "consumer goods" spaces on the board, three "banking and finance" spaces, three "culture industry" spaces, etc. You could keep one set of spaces or even one side of the board for property still. Then instead of houses/hotels you'd collect more generic forms of capital like factories or intellectual property or trademarks or something.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

I definitely think you could also just paint over vanilla monopoly to make it into late-stage capitalism monopoly. Just replace the different streets with various sectors of the economy so you'd have the three "consumer goods" spaces on the board, three "banking and finance" spaces, three "culture industry" spaces, etc. You could keep one set of spaces or even one side of the board for property still. Then instead of houses/hotels you'd collect more generic forms of capital like factories or intellectual property or trademarks or something.

I hear you, but I also want poo poo like natural disasters i.e. Cali wildfires wiping entire sections off the board. Instead of jail it's a Senate corruption committee and you have to roll a dice to see how much you have to pay at the end of the turn - but you can also buy politician tokens for like $200 a pop or w/e that reduce your taxes or Senate committee payouts by 25% a-piece. If you see a fellow player's token about to get captured and killed by the revolutionary communist army you can offer to sell him an extraction by private military company. You can also corporate merger with a fellow player and pool your resources into one bucket, but also, only one capitalist can come out on top, so it's only ever a temporary alliance. Just like a lot of random crazy modifiers that basically force you to think like a real heartless motherfucker with complete contempt for humanity.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

Ya a truly Marxist game would start out settlers of catan, progress through monopoly and then end with the players murdering the winning player, discarding the game and instead realising a collaborative scientific or artistic project from which they all benefit.

Seen Spirit Island? It's about the natives of an island and their patron gods fighting back against invading colonists.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skellybones posted:

Seen Spirit Island? It's about the natives of an island and their patron gods fighting back against invading colonists.

looks decent
https://youtu.be/aEpGN6jswPw

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Start with monopoly end with Cuba Libre

I would need multiple Cuba Libres to even consider starting a game of Monopoly.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://mobile.twitter.com/AristocratBags/status/1051344348300890118

i saw someone irl with one of these bags and did a double take at the name

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Skellybones posted:

I cna confirm it's really fun. We haven't managed to lose yet, despite my friend always making the difficulty higher every time we play.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

got any sevens posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AristocratBags/status/1051344348300890118

i saw someone irl with one of these bags and did a double take at the name

I hate poorly written slogans. Goddamn what does that mean.

Your bags should be as light as your heart.
Your bags should only be as heavy as your heart.
Your bags should be no heavier than your heart.

Try to come up with worse phrasing than theirs.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I love slogans that make less sense the more you think about them. I honestly can't tell if they're trying to say their bags are light or heavy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I cna confirm it's really fun. We haven't managed to lose yet, despite my friend always making the difficulty higher every time we play.

We only played once and got wrecked. There were a few rule misreads though that contributed to that. It also probably didn't help one of us was the ocean and it was our first game

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Len posted:

We only played once and got wrecked. There were a few rule misreads though that contributed to that. It also probably didn't help one of us was the ocean and it was our first game

The dude who owns the game had played before and helped us out. Also we play a lot of boardgames so that comes with some system mastery.

Hence my friend's opinion of "If we didn't lose, we didn't scale the difficulty high enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

fart store posted:

I hate poorly written slogans. Goddamn what does that mean.

Your bags should be as light as your heart.
Your bags should only be as heavy as your heart.
Your bags should be no heavier than your heart.

Try to come up with worse phrasing than theirs.

When you die, the sins of your heart are weighed against the lightness if your bags.