Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is quite the brief

https://twitter.com/adamliptak/status/1063554887206821893

i'm reading through it but it looks really good so far

plus it has the advantages of being filed directly with SCOTUS because the case has already progressed enough, and it makes the case for why they should skip letting district courts touch it and just go ahead and decide if Whitaker is properly appointed once and for all

also the lawyer behind it is the publisher of SCOTUSblog and his firm so, good advocates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

I gave this to Lee Carter earlier today, and hope it makes the next CTH episode

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Teddybear posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1063556155174264832

Abrams has effectively conceded, citing "suppression of the people's vote." And she's got very, very valid reasons to cite that.

Bummer.

BUT! Georgia Goons remember that there will still be a runoff election on December 4!

John Barrow is running for secretary of state, and needs every goddamn vote he can get.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Prester Jane posted:

Quote me where I have ever once urge people not to vote, stated that I wasn't going to vote, or intimated anything even vaguely like that in my entire posting career you disingenuous piece of poo poo.

Edit: FWIW I've done quite a bit of volunteering for political work over the years, so you can gently caress right off with your ignorant rear end assumption that anyone who criticizes Pelosi is automatically on the sidelines and not out on the field. You are the worst kind of worthless leftist because all you do is have insecure meltdowns when your leaders are criticized. Idiots like you prevent real conversations from happening.

Also please lecture this politically active trans woman some more about how I'm hurting minority groups by criticizing people who have thrown minority's under the bus when ever it suited them. You loving idiot.

Once again I'm not talking about criticizing, I'm talking about the endless "Dems are a waste" refrain that maintains that manages to find some fatal flaw in literally every Democrat who gets elected. And while you may not personally urge people not to vote there are most certainly regular DAAW posters who do exactly that.

If you are out doing what you can and you are voting for the best candidate every time then you aren't who I'm referring to. Now I remind you that the primary candidate that those who are opposed to Pelosi was the one who was against protecting LGBT people siding with known bad Dems including :kav: supporter Manchin. So when you hold her and Pelosi up as your choices which one would you prefer to have setting the legislative agenda?

That doesn't require one to think that she's the greatest bestest speaker ever, because she's the better choice of the two that are to offer.

Josef bugman posted:

Better than actively abetting it I suspect. I mean the ascension of Fascists has become a fait accompli because no-one in the opposition wants to oppose them on the grounds that their views are loving repugnant, merely that they are indecorous.

If, tommorrow, you had a senior Republican call for the mass murder of all black people in the Southern United states then I am fairly certain that at least some democrats would go "now let's all hang on for a moment on condemning this man" as long as he said it in a polite enough way.

Doing nothing when you can do something (voting for the Fascists political opponents) is abetting them. Voting 3rd party when you know that they have zero chance of winning is actively abetting them.

Also if you believe that there aren't Democrats calling out Republicans for their repugnant views I'd say that you aren't paying attention.

papa horny michael posted:

Considering this is the largest amount of PoC, LGBT(et cet), and so on in offices nation-wide ever I'd say it's working out pretty well. Many of whom primaried entrenched Democratic politicians. So refusing to vote for people who are against specific issues works.

No what worked was what those of us in the Dems are imperfect camp have been saying to do all along. Vote for better Democrats in the primaries and then vote for whoever happens to be the Democratic nominee in the general. That's how those gains were created. People got involved. They got active, they campaigned they phone banked they did the work and that work resulted in a historic victory.

They didn't sit around on their asses bemoaning the fact that we've not gotten full communism now spontaneously occur.

And the best strategy going forward is to continue to do the same. Continue to primary poo poo Dems, continue to elect Democrats and continue to ride their asses to do the right thing.

Note how AOC highlighted the need for rapid action for climate change. Note that Pelosi was amenable to it. Do you think that a Republican would have been? No they wouldn't have been witnessed by the fact that it was the Republicans who killed that particular committee in the first place.

My gripe isn't with people who criticize Democrats for either being wrong, bad or disinterested, my gripe is with those who spend all of their time making GBS threads on Democrats using the flimsiest of evidence like the fact that Pelosi as minority leader endorsed an incumbent Democrat which based on the fact that those critics have failed to respond to my query with any examples of incumbent Democrats that Pelosi didn't endorse was just a perfunctory you support you caucus because you are the leader level endorsement which they then use as a justification for "Pelosi bad" arguments. The ones who buy into and perpetuate Right Wing framing in a way that is demoralizing to the people who need to be motivated and hopeful.

If you are just frustrated and venting I'm not directing my criticism at you, if you are voting and working to change things for the better I'm not directing my criticism at you. My criticism is directed at the usual crew of :matters: accelerationists who offer nothing but complaints and smugness for being so pure in their ideology and unwillingness to compromise at all. The ones who punch at allies and repeat the lies and attacks of enemies.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I’m sure this got posted already, but:

https://twitter.com/riotwomennn/status/1063544689280856071?s=21

It’s amazing. In a bad way, sure, but it is truly amazing :allears:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/ScottGuitars/status/1063558984651689984

Explain how Caesar died without mentioning any stabbings.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Skex posted:

If you are just frustrated and venting I'm not directing my criticism at you, if you are voting and working to change things for the better I'm not directing my criticism at you. My criticism is directed at the usual crew of :matters: accelerationists who offer nothing but complaints and smugness for being so pure in their ideology and unwillingness to compromise at all. The ones who punch at allies and repeat the lies and attacks of enemies.

then maybe you shouldn't direct your endless scolding screeds at the people you specifically quoted. for a guy who thinks he's an "ally" all you do is post thousands of words at anyone who complains.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Skex posted:

If you are out doing what you can and you are voting for the best candidate every time then you aren't who I'm referring to.

You called me out specifically for not voting you disingenuous piece of poo poo. Quote me where I have ever done anything you accused me of or retract it. I'm done with this nonsense.

God drat there's no difference at all between arguing with you and arguing with any Republican. It's all personal insults and accusations and then when called on to present evidence you deny you ever did what you just did and then accuse a bunch of unspecified others of being the people you were really accusing. gently caress you.

Also just LOL at the idea that you're in a lie. All you do is punch left with basically every post you make. You have the audacity to accuse me of hurting minorities when I'm a loving disabled transwoman who's out on the front lines doing whatever she can to make life better for all of us.

You're not an ally. Stop pretending otherwise. It's disrespectful to actual allies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I hope Brian Kemp is booed everywhere he goes in this state forever

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Prester Jane posted:

You called me out specifically for not voting you disingenuous piece of poo poo. Quote me where I have ever done anything you accused me of or retract it. I'm done with this nonsense.

God drat there's no difference at all between arguing with you and arguing with any Republican. It's all personal insults and accusations and then when called on to present evidence you deny you ever did what you just did and then accuse a bunch of nebulous others of being the people you were really accusing. gently caress you.

This is really negative vibes try to be nicer

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

The Dragon of Budapest slumbered, but now he has awoken.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

areyoucontagious posted:

I’m sure this got posted already, but:

https://twitter.com/riotwomennn/status/1063544689280856071?s=21

It’s amazing. In a bad way, sure, but it is truly amazing :allears:

If denying climate change is what it takes to get funding for large-scale thinning of national forests then that's a silver lining at least

The real problem with our forest management in California is a century of fire suppression (when normally fire comes through every few decades to clear out all the fuel in a low or moderate severity burn). There's no easy solution at this point because re-introducing fire into the system causes the megafires we're seeing right now.

I've seen this take a few times now where Trump says "it's not climate change it's bad forest management" and the kneejerk reaction on the left is "actually it's 100% climate change" when in reality it's a combination of bad forest management (part unforced errors and part due to lack of funding) and climate change

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

TURKEY LEAKS PHOTOS OF JAMAL KHASHOGGI’S DISMEMBERMENT BY SAUDI AUTHORITIES

welp i could have done without seeing that

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeaaaa for everyone else. Don't look at those photos. It's pretty bad. Turkey has KSA by the balls with those.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Skex posted:

unintelligible brain worms

lol your purity politics about full communism now to people who are agitating specific policy and candidate changes. i'm glad you're here to tell us what it is, chief!

your gripe seemingly is to assign non-existent platforms to people who ask you what you're on about.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If denying climate change is what it takes to get funding for large-scale thinning of national forests then that's a silver lining at least

The real problem with our forest management in California is a century of fire suppression (when normally fire comes through every few decades to clear out all the fuel in a low or moderate severity burn). There's no easy solution at this point because re-introducing fire into the system causes the megafires we're seeing right now.

I've seen this take a few times now where Trump says "it's not climate change it's bad forest management" and the kneejerk reaction on the left is "actually it's 100% climate change" when in reality it's a combination of bad forest management (part unforced errors and part due to lack of funding) and climate change

i think part of that reaction is also that he's almost always blaming the state of California in particular because to do otherwise would be to admit there's uh... a little bit of

federal lands in california where the US government bears responsibility for the mismanagement

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how the gently caress did he get past the screening. like yeah gently caress the cult of the operator and filled with chud types and all that, but usually these dudes get found out and drummed out pretty quick. the military doesn't like its human weapons go batshit.

It's more that you spend years training people to be incredibly violent and then under the conditions of war people either become hosed up as a result (which I've seen) or it uncovers a horrible side they've been keeping from the organisation or themselves.

Not at all minimising the terrible things it sounds like this guy did but it's not easy to screen for how people are going to behave, and they are trying to identify people that are extremely violent under specific conditions.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottGuitars/status/1063558984651689984

Explain how Caesar died without mentioning any stabbings.
Closing 214 voter precincts in minority and poor areas, purging 1.5 million voters, and not approving 53,000 properly submitted voter registrations.

I already knew the mechanisms off the top of my head, and it took literally less than ten seconds to find the exact numbers.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Skex posted:

Doing nothing when you can do something (voting for the Fascists political opponents) is abetting them. Voting 3rd party when you know that they have zero chance of winning is actively abetting them.

Also if you believe that there aren't Democrats calling out Republicans for their repugnant views I'd say that you aren't paying attention.

I am in the UK I get to vote with my loving conscience clear by voting Labour, but to say "Well if you don't like it you are killing people" doesn't matter to most people who will go "but you don't do anything for me, why should I give a poo poo" because that is all they expect from people who treat politics as a way of making money in your loving capitalist hellscape of a country.

I never said there aren't, but those people aren't saying that bi-partisanship is needed you disingenuous sack of poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

eke out posted:

i think part of that reaction is also that he's almost always blaming the state of California in particular because to do otherwise would be to admit there's uh... a little bit of

federal lands in california where the US government bears responsibility for the mismanagement

Yeah there's a shitton of federal land in the western US

Getting the various stakeholders (private, state, federal, and tribal) to even agree to a broad outline of how to manage their forests is like herding cats, much less actually implementing any of it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I am in the UK I get to vote with my loving conscience clear by voting Labour

am i misunderstanding this or are you implying that you have a clear conscience because you have the opportunity to vote for labour? if so: lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what is lol about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzuKaTuk_lw

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

OK, counting only Americans, how many of you did not know this?

https://twitter.com/stableford/status/1063506214913486848

Raises hand

Legit did not know this. Always knew he was a hitter, and I'm sure this has been revealed to me in a trivia game at some point. Sandlot aside, baseball sucks tho, so I'm not the best gauge of common baseball knowledge.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

eke out posted:

am i misunderstanding this or are you implying that you have a clear conscience because you have the opportunity to vote for labour? if so: lol

As in, I have a clearer one than voting Democrat. At least my guy is going to be supporting thing like increased workers rights, expansion of Green energy and the removal of big monied interests in large sections without having to be continually screamed at.

Also in this instance it was referring to the problem of "lol voting 3rd party". Because I know that, bare minimum, Labour is probably going to oppose the government.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16EzpUFKcHE

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

what is lol about that.

the last twenty years of the labour party

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

eke out posted:

the last twenty years of the labour party

So the last 20 years of the democrats as well?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eke out did you miss the last general election over there or...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

So the last 20 years of the democrats as well?

ain't none of us claiming we have a clear conscience lol

Groovelord Neato posted:

eke out did you miss the last general election over there or...

as much as i'd look forward to minority leader bernie sanders, i don't think that'd exculpate the democratic party any more than jezza makes up for blair

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Chilichimp posted:

Raises hand

Legit did not know this. Always knew he was a hitter, and I'm sure this has been revealed to me in a trivia game at some point. Sandlot aside, baseball sucks tho, so I'm not the best gauge of common baseball knowledge.

Ruth was one of the best pitchers of his time. In fact, he still held pitching records for years after he died. He'd have made the Hall of Fame as a hitter or pitcher, but if he had stayed a pitcher he would never have been the American icon he is now.

:themoreyouknow:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hoggs rule

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/1063535481609170944

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

eke out posted:

as much as i'd look forward to minority leader bernie sanders, i don't think that'd exculpate the democratic party any more than jezza makes up for blair

Well it's a good thing I couldn't vote in anything prior to the 2010 election isn't it mate.

I feel fairly okay that I have voted in the best/most morale manner instead of "holding my nose" voting. That is what I meant on that score.

And if you don't have a clear conscience about your voting, or at the very least didn't at the time, what the gently caress are you good for?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Uh, where did it go? You didn't mod-delete it, did you?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How many Republicans will vote against this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1063557854521479169

quote:

Democrats want to change a rule banning House members from wearing hats on the chamber floor to accommodate the first Muslim women to ever be elected to Congress — one of whom wears a headscarf. House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, Democrat Rep. Jim McGovern, and congresswoman-elect Ilhan Omar of Minnesota are the co-authors of the proposal, which was included as part of a slate of rule changes that Democrats will seek to implement once they assume control.

Omar, who was born in Somalia but came to the United States as a refu­gee, wears a headscarf — something that could fall afoul of the 181-year-old House rule banning members from wearing any kind of hat on the floor. Democrats are proposing changing the rule to allow all religious headwear into the House chamber, though it is unclear whether members of other faiths would take advantage of it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Big Coat playing the long game

New thread subtitle right here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

why carve out an exemption for religious headwear instead of just allowing all hats

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

knox_harrington posted:

It's more that you spend years training people to be incredibly violent and then under the conditions of war people either become hosed up as a result (which I've seen) or it uncovers a horrible side they've been keeping from the organisation or themselves.

Not at all minimising the terrible things it sounds like this guy did but it's not easy to screen for how people are going to behave, and they are trying to identify people that are extremely violent under specific conditions.

yeah, its horrible poo poo in general. i just assumed they would have caught this dude earlier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1063567387969183746

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This should be good:

NBC News is also reporting that she has testified before the SSCI and also "wants to speak to Mueller".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

This should be good:

NBC News is also reporting that she has testified before the SSCI and also "wants to speak to Mueller".

Seems like there's a lot of dangers involved in pleading guilty, namely being murdered by Russian agents.