Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
When I caught 10ish Bergman films at the retrospective my theater was doing over the summer I was actually quite taken by Shame. Don’t see it talked about much at all, so it was a pretty striking surprise- some really compelling stretches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arrow is releasing The Serpent's Egg on Dec. 4 in both the US and UK - it's also in Ingmar Bergman's Cinema, so I guess Criterion made some arrangement with them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Shame is amazing, one of the only movies to ever give me nightmares.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh, drat, Berlin Alexanderplatz is coming on blu-ray? Guess that's as good an excuse as any to finally watch the whole thing.

I bought it on DVD years ago when it was still a relatively new release. It was during a B&N sale and I had a coupon to take an extra ten or twenty percent off so I got it at a huge discount. It's a fascinating watch especially when it goes all Neon Genesis Evangelion with its ending.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Egbert Souse posted:

November releases have been pushed back a week except for Bergman.

This is true. My copy of Cinema shipped yesterday!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6044-new-independent-criterion-channel-to-launch-spring-2019

Criterion Channel news

https://www.criterion.com/channel

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

^^ Hell yeah I'm going to be a charter subscriber, honestly the card alone would be enough.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh, drat, Berlin Alexanderplatz is coming on blu-ray? Guess that's as good an excuse as any to finally watch the whole thing.

If you don't want to wait for the release, the entire thing's on youtube.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Signed up. $90/year is a steal just for The Criterion Channel, let alone the other perks. Even better they'll have ties to the WarnerMedia service.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

Signed up. $90/year is a steal just for The Criterion Channel, let alone the other perks. Even better they'll have ties to the WarnerMedia service.

So did they preempt Warner keeping Filmstruck alive or what, with the whole petition thing? This deal sounds amicable enough, and it kind of sounds like Criterion made the first move.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

that just sounds like the new Warner streaming thing will include either a Criterion channel add-on similar to filmstruck, or just some assortment of content from criterion, and not that subscribing to this criterion current will give you access to anything on that warner service

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So did they preempt Warner keeping Filmstruck alive or what, with the whole petition thing? This deal sounds amicable enough, and it kind of sounds like Criterion made the first move.

I think this is their compromise. This is independently run, I think? The collection's also going up on Warner's new streaming thing when it launches.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Filmstruck is still shutting down, but it sounds like The Criterion Channel will be its new standalone streaming service starting in the Spring while they'll also have rotating content available on the WarnerMedia service.

I'm going to guess that the new Criterion Channel will simply be what the current one is without Filmstruck proper. They'll do limited engagements of studio-owned films, while having the other stuff that Janus has rights to indefinitely.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Risky up front but if they can get it off the ground probably a safer deal in the long run than a fully incorporated service

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Risky up front but if they can get it off the ground probably a safer deal in the long run than a fully incorporated service

They outright own streaming rights to around 700 films via Janus Films, plus they'll likely keep the partnerships with MGM, Sony, Miramax, Fox, StudioCanal, Kino Lorber, Flicker Alley, Milestone, Corinth, Westchester, Thunderbean, NFB Canada, etc.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The problem is, they've said that their entire catalog will be available on the Warner service later. If that's the case, why would anyone keep Criterion Channel if they can sign up for Warner which includes CC as well as the gargantuan catalog of Warner content too?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

The problem is, they've said that their entire catalog will be available on the Warner service later. If that's the case, why would anyone keep Criterion Channel if they can sign up for Warner which includes CC as well as the gargantuan catalog of Warner content too?

It seems to me that Filmstruck proper will be replaced with WarnerMedia - which means a rotating library of Criterion content among Warner's larger library, while The Criterion Channel is a semi-permanent place for all their non-major studio content that replaces the same-named section of Filmstruck.

I'll probably subscribe to WarnerMedia on top of this, especially if it's strong on classic-era content. There's tons of Warner Archive DVD-Rs I'd love to own, but I'm not spending money on SD physical media anymore unless it's something locked into SD like The Golden Age of Television or MST3K.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 17, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The last SD thing I bought (about two years ago) was actually a Warner Archive DVD-R, The Unholy Three. I don't see that coming to Blu-ray anytime soon...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I buy old westerns sometimes on DVD, it's not unusual to find them for like $3.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Egbert Souse posted:

It seems to me that Filmstruck proper will be replaced with WarnerMedia - which means a rotating library of Criterion content among Warner's larger library, while The Criterion Channel is a semi-permanent place for all their non-major studio content that replaces the same-named section of Filmstruck.

I'll probably subscribe to WarnerMedia on top of this, especially if it's strong on classic-era content. There's tons of Warner Archive DVD-Rs I'd love to own, but I'm not spending money on SD physical media anymore unless it's something locked into SD like The Golden Age of Television or MST3K.

That's a lot of conjecture when literally all they've said is that their library will be available via warner media

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

The last SD thing I bought (about two years ago) was actually a Warner Archive DVD-R, The Unholy Three. I don't see that coming to Blu-ray anytime soon...

While a lot of titles will not get a Blu-ray release,, we'll probably see lots of titles get at least 1080p streaming versions eventually. Many studios are getting 4K scans of their library archived regardless of whether they get a physical release or not.

AT&T owning Warner's library could be ultimately good, though. Since Comcast's purchase of Universal, they've been restoring a lot of obscure films alongside the major titles. They not only did 4K restorations of films like Spartacus, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Vertigo, but lesser-known films like King of Jazz, The Man Who Laughs, and the Paramount Marx Brothers films. I've even read they're doing full restorations of surviving silent films that lapsed in copyright (including a rumor of the 1925 Phantom of the Opera from newly discovered camera negative elements).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

a rumor of the 1925 Phantom of the Opera from newly discovered camera negative elements).

:aaaaa:
:getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

I buy old westerns sometimes on DVD, it's not unusual to find them for like $3.

I do the same with schlocky horror if the alternative is a $25+ Scream Factory or Vestron release that I’d probably only watch once or twice.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I do the same with schlocky horror if the alternative is a $25+ Scream Factory or Vestron release that I’d probably only watch once or twice.

Funny, my absolute favorite sort of Blu-ray to buy is schlocky horror presented with a gorgeous restored transfer and decked out with special features. And the more posters, lobby cards, booklets and other bullshit thrown in, the better. Like, the bigger the gap between the quality of the film and the amount of care that goes into its presentation, the better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You must love Arrow

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Escobarbarian posted:

You must love Arrow

Indeed I do.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Funny, my absolute favorite sort of Blu-ray to buy is schlocky horror presented with a gorgeous restored transfer and decked out with special features. And the more posters, lobby cards, booklets and other bullshit thrown in, the better. Like, the bigger the gap between the quality of the film and the amount of care that goes into its presentation, the better.

:same:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So, what's everyone expecting #1000 to be?

My bets are on:

The Grand Budapest Hotel - The Life Aquatic was #300 and Fantastic Mr. Fox was #700, plus we know it's coming anyways.

Citizen Kane - Criterion's first laserdisc. Even though Warner's edition has a great 4K restoration and commentaries by Bogdanovich and Ebert, it's kind of thin on extras otherwise. Just adding another interview with Simon Cowell, a piece on effects and sound with Craig Barron and Ben Burtt, pieces on the cinematography/Gregg Toland, the editing, and Mercury Players would be enough to make it worthwhile. Could also include Welles' two short films The Hearts of Age and Too Much Johnson.

Godzilla box set - We know they have the rights and it would be a ripe November release.

Something left-field - Perhaps a "Man of a Thousand Faces" set of Lon Chaney films, though they've only been clever with spine numbers twice before (#555 for Sweet Smell of Success and #666 for The Devil's Backbone)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Citizen Kane feels the most right but my real dream is a simultaneous Blu upgrade for The Grand Illusion.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

Tiny Furniture [4K UltraHD]

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Egbert Souse posted:

Armageddon

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

A collected Welles or Kar-Wai set like the Del Toro set would be nice, but I'd also put outside odds on The Third Man having a re-release a la Monterrey - it had a new spine number, didn't it?

I dunno if it'd be anything "big" though considering the closeness to the Bergman set.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

The Devils, or gtfo. Seriously.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

The Devils, or gtfo. Seriously.

:fap:

Conspiracy time: Criterion attempting to get The Devils resulted in people at Warner's creating a vendetta against Filmstruck and caused it to collapse.

E: they also missed the obvious #666 and #777 for it though :(

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Well now I'm just upset that Spinal Tap was #12.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m going w “True Lies,” because I wanna see it on BluRay.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I, Butthole posted:

A collected Welles or Kar-Wai set like the Del Toro set would be nice, but I'd also put outside odds on The Third Man having a re-release a la Monterrey - it had a new spine number, didn't it?

I dunno if it'd be anything "big" though considering the closeness to the Bergman set.

Kar-Wai doesn't seem like an unreasonable guess given that some of his films are on Filmstruck.

I watched Fallen Angels and Happy Together in anticipation of Filmstruck's demise and I'd buy the set in a heartbeat.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Godzilla box set - We know they have the rights and it would be a ripe November release.

Remind me, which of the Godzilla films does Criterion have the rights to?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Remind me, which of the Godzilla films does Criterion have the rights to?

I think it was all the Showa era movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think it was all the Showa era movies.

That's pretty cool because most the Showa series entries are lacking Blu-ray releases. And a couple of the DVDs are long out of print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cloks posted:

I watched Fallen Angels and Happy Together in anticipation of Filmstruck's demise and I'd buy the set in a heartbeat.

This

But mostly for Days of Being Wild