Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Agrikk posted:

A friend just quit today. Not "gave two weeks" but straight up quit. This was his notice:

I love him.

edit: I left the photo big for the impact it has.

A+ :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

A friend just quit today. Not "gave two weeks" but straight up quit. This was his notice:

I love him.

edit: I left the photo big for the impact it has.

That's quite the power move but I'm not sure if I'd have bothered to put the marker back in the tray.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nullfunction posted:

That's quite the power move but I'm not sure if I'd have bothered to put the marker back in the tray.

just because he quit doesn't mean he's a loving monster

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What happened to the poor guy to walk out like that

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

They probably made him clean up the yard.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

just because he quit doesn't mean he's a loving monster

He should have written "DO NOT ERASE" next to it.

:q:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nullfunction posted:

He should have written "DO NOT ERASE" next to it.

:q:

So loving triggered.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At my job, every project gets assigned a three letter acronym. I've been desperately trying to get a project created with DNE as the acronym.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

At my job, every project gets assigned a three letter acronym. I've been desperately trying to get a project created with DNE as the acronym.

Or TLA

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Methanar posted:

Actually, a job offer came in. That +1,000,000 little insults made it really really easy to walk out. And the new gig wanted him to start in a week so quitting now and having a week off seemed ideal.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of IBM power series, is anyone running one and backing it with non-ibm SAN storage? I want to connect one to Pure or Nimble via Fibre or iscsi, but all the IBM related sales guys say no. I am not sure if they are greybeard haters or if it really isn't possible.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Agrikk posted:

Actually, a job offer came in. That +1,000,000 little insults made it really really easy to walk out. And the new gig wanted him to start in a week so quitting now and having a week off seemed ideal.

Well earned vacation :yotj:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

adorai posted:

Speaking of IBM power series, is anyone running one and backing it with non-ibm SAN storage? I want to connect one to Pure or Nimble via Fibre or iscsi, but all the IBM related sales guys say no. I am not sure if they are greybeard haters or if it really isn't possible.

I’ve seen it done with Pure Storage but even then I’m not sure if I’d fully trust it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Sounds like he made the right call :yotj:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Teams isn’t really a replacement for Skype. It’s just Teams or the next VOIP, Collaboration and Messaging Tool.

I’m glad Microsoft is replacing the poo poo that has always been Skype with the less poo poo that is Teams

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I hate big Switch Networks

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

adorai posted:

Ours is still in box IBM storage but we back it up to 3par storage via a fiber cable to an ESX box.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

Is your Power system running AIX, IBM i, or Linux? If AIX or Linux you should be OK, especially if you’re using it behind an SVC and/or zoned through a SAN. Direct attached anything usually is an unsupported configuration, even if it works. If you’re IBM i, you shouldn’t use anything but IBM disk.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Last Friday I helped fix a robot. Today I worked on a system that controls a mass spectrometer. I also went through a chapter of Learn Powershell in a Month of Lunches. On the clock. Oh, and last week I took a printer call, listened to the horrible noises it was making, told the customer it'd take a couple of days, and routed the ticket to my old group. I also included info about PPE and access requirements that we never got from my current group.

Beats the hell out of printers and liquid damaged laptops !

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Agrikk posted:

Dont you work for amazon? Quitting like that wouldn't surprise me

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

Is your Power system running AIX, IBM i, or Linux? If AIX or Linux you should be OK, especially if you’re using it behind an SVC and/or zoned through a SAN. Direct attached anything usually is an unsupported configuration, even if it works. If you’re IBM i, you shouldn’t use anything but IBM disk.
IBM i. We've always used only DAS.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Slack is also quite expensive

:yeah:

I kind of want to try Zulip, since I have heard positive things about it, especially since I could host that myself. Does anybody have any experiences with it? Also, cleverly, we use G Suite for everything, except our consultants also have Office 365 because they supposedly can't live without Powerpoint (and Power BI Pro, but that's another different). So we essentially have access to Slack, Hangouts and Teams.

:retrogames::respek::retrogames:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

IBM i. We've always used only DAS.
Nope, as far as I know you can only use IBM storage. Either native expansion shelves or I believe it supports DS8000 (I’m not sure exactly how but I believe I had one customer who did). Either way if you’re looking to use flash that’s supported, just not third party.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nullfunction posted:

Should have used a permanent marker.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

mllaneza posted:

Last Friday I helped fix a robot. Today I worked on a system that controls a mass spectrometer.

Listen, I know you're probably surrounded by theoretical physicists, but don't be that Administrator, OK?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I know we all bag on our careers a lot but I am soooo loving glad I got into IT and not the trades. My friend and I just carried 50 pieces of sheetrock into my basement for some reno work I'm doing and fuckkkk that I'm good on physical labor for another year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I do my own electrical work (where permitted) in my spare time and it's therapeutic because I can take my time over it, and just put stuff off it it's difficult. I doubt I'd enjoy it if it was my job.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I like doing the electrical when the walls are off. I usually hire my friend for fishing new wire

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Try it with brick walls :argh:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thanks Ants posted:

Try it with brick walls :argh:

Just run extension cords everywhere like a real man.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Listen, I know you're probably surrounded by theoretical physicists, but don't be that Administrator, OK?

Theoretical biochem stuff, so more worrying about Patient Zero than about time/space fuckups.

It has not escaped my notice that this area full of biochem research is walled off nicely by highways. The CDC couldn't have planned it better if they'd tried. The man in the biohazard suit with an M-16 is not your friend.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How much is Slack?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

How much is Slack?

On the base paid tier, $8 per month per active user if paid monthly, $6.67 per month per active user if paid yearly.

Goes up to $15 or $12.50 per month for the Plus tier that adds more features a business wants.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

How much is Slack?

We pay 80 bucks a year per person. We have a little over 1k people using it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sepist posted:

Dont you work for amazon? Quitting like that wouldn't surprise me

I work at AWS [which is very much the red-headed step child of Amazon. The very successful red-headed step child] but this pic wasn’t from an Amazon employee. I do have friends who work elsewhere.

Edit: and yeah, I loves me some electrical work or rough carpentry. I’ll build a deck or fence or require my electrical panel until the cows come home. But paint a room or do any kind of plumbing? gently caress that.

I had a plumber over to check out some toilets with a slow leak and he says, “this is an easy fix. You’ll head to Home Depot and buy a gasket and it’s a five minute job.”

I said, “Nope. You are going to go to Home Depot and buy a gasket and do a five minute job. I am going to get my wallet and pay you in cash.”

gently caress plumbing forever.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 18, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I dug a soil stack out of concrete with a friend once, never doing plumbing again.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I grew up painting and it's easy as poo poo and kind of relaxing. Except outdoor painting, gently caress that poo poo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

We pay 80 bucks a year per person. We have a little over 1k people using it.

Goddamn does it make me breakfast too?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I grew up painting and it's easy as poo poo and kind of relaxing. Except outdoor painting, gently caress that poo poo.

Our neighbor had a house fire and used the opportunity to completely redo their house.

One day I left to run some errands. I came back 3 hours later. The exterior of the entire 2400sq foot house was completely repainted and the painters were already gone. The only evidence of painting was the new color and tape was still on the trim.

I don't believe in magic, but I can't explain that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Our neighbor had a house fire and used the opportunity to completely redo their house.

One day I left to run some errands. I came back 3 hours later. The exterior of the entire 2400sq foot house was completely repainted and the painters were already gone. The only evidence of painting was the new color and tape was still on the trim.

I don't believe in magic, but I can't explain that poo poo.

A crew of 10 and sprayers.