Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hauki posted:

I wanna go back again today, but I think that's a Bad Idea after two consecutive days of climbing already

you fried son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kasumeat posted:

Yeah this is the real issue

Edit: Are you still planning on living in a van in place where it frequently reaches -30?

Oh yeah, nothing says fun like 12 hour days on the shores of lake Huron in January and then coming home to my cramped unheated minivan.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

Rime posted:

Oh yeah, nothing says fun like 12 hour days on the shores of lake Huron in January and then coming home to my cramped unheated minivan.

-40 really isn't unheard of up there. I'm willing to bet you don't have a sleeping bag capable of dealing with those temperatures. And the 1.5 grand that one will set you back is probably enough to cover rent for your entire stay out in the middle of nowhere.

If you don't end up dying in your frozen coffin and have some free time in Toronto, feel free to hit me up to do some (indoor) climbing.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Kasumeat posted:

-40 really isn't unheard of up there. I'm willing to bet you don't have a sleeping bag capable of dealing with those temperatures. And the 1.5 grand that one will set you back is probably enough to cover rent for your entire stay out in the middle of nowhere.

If you don't end up dying in your frozen coffin and have some free time in Toronto, feel free to hit me up to do some (indoor) climbing.

Lol I all I read from this is"never move to Canada, unless you seekin that grave"

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Anyone have any Tahoe bouldering spots? Going to be up there for the next several days. Somewhere I could bring a kid and mess around without being on a cliff would be ideal, if such a spot exists.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

I'm gonna brag for my dude Hauki and congratulate him on sending (and basically flashing) his first 5.10a indoors last night. We've been climbing a lot since we caught the bug and I'm proud of him for continuing to be slightly better than me.

I definitely am noticing small incremental growth in my own climbing, too. I was able to send a particularly annoying 5.9 for the second time after failing a bunch on it over the previous weeks, and get a V3 boulder problem first time that I had only sent once before, even after having done a lot of climbing already that night. And I made a lot more progress on a challenging overhang V3 that I think I can get next time.

TL, DR - climbing is fun, feeling like you're getting better is fun.

Where do you guys climb?

Also nice job Hauki.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

Where do you guys climb?

Also nice job Hauki.

Englewood Earth treks. It's awesome.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

Englewood Earth treks. It's awesome.

I am at Golden ET. I still haven't made it over to the new gym.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

Come on in one weekend for a marathon day and show us some stuff.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Bit late to the discussion but how did those of you with depression get drawn into climbing?

I was asked to climb by friends and gradually learned how I could enjoy both going alone (bouldering) but also be social when I wanted to.

Then I learned about this non-profit (shameless plug - can't wait for them to start selling branded t-shirts so I can begin wearing one on my climbs):
https://www.casm.cc/

I think they're only UK-based for now.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

AriTheDog posted:

Anyone have any Tahoe bouldering spots? Going to be up there for the next several days. Somewhere I could bring a kid and mess around without being on a cliff would be ideal, if such a spot exists.

How hard?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

jet_dee posted:

Bit late to the discussion but how did those of you with depression get drawn into climbing?

I was asked to climb by friends and gradually learned how I could enjoy both going alone (bouldering) but also be social when I wanted to.

Then I learned about this non-profit (shameless plug - can't wait for them to start selling branded t-shirts so I can begin wearing one on my climbs):
https://www.casm.cc/

I think they're only UK-based for now.

Do you know if these guys have any resources available to help people get back into climbing or to find a climbing partner or something? I have a really good friend who moved away so we don't see each other so much nowadays but he has sad brains problems and because of that and not having anyone around to keep him motivated he totally stopped climbing a while ago, and it's definitely not helped his mental state since it's just another thing on his list of "stuff I like doing but I can't allow myself to do because I think I'm a bad person".

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Do you know if these guys have any resources available to help people get back into climbing or to find a climbing partner or something? I have a really good friend who moved away so we don't see each other so much nowadays but he has sad brains problems and because of that and not having anyone around to keep him motivated he totally stopped climbing a while ago, and it's definitely not helped his mental state since it's just another thing on his list of "stuff I like doing but I can't allow myself to do because I think I'm a bad person".

lmao, this is literally me

I moved to seattle a couple months ago and know basically no one so i feel like i can't really climb any more and its making me depressed big time

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Oops. Let's say V5 and below, maybe making some bad attempts at V6.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
I don't think they do, sadly, but on that note I am a member of two local Facebook groups for climbers, and I often see people posting that a. they are new in town and looking to boulder or rope climb at x place, or b. looking to rope climb at place x or alternatively, place y, and in need of a climbing partner.

Is that something your friend and Hooplah could do too? Seattle seems large enough to have at least one such group.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

AriTheDog posted:

Oops. Let's say V5 and below, maybe making some bad attempts at V6.

I'd stick to south lake Tahoe then; just be warned that the guidebooks are a little out of date. Be careful and see how the air quality is going to be since California is on fire like no one's business right now.

My favorite V6 there is Family Pack of Wild Dogs, which fits right in with your username! It's a great one to project.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Cool, I work in Golden & pass that one constantly, but I also live like a mile from the new one and that's much more convenient (and huge). I went to the golden one a couple times... years ago, but I don't remember it well enough to compare and that was more of a date than something I was taking seriously and enjoying in it's own right. I keep meaning to stop by that one again just to check it out now.

ShaneB posted:

also this hah

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Seconding FB groups for finding partners, I know people who use them when their usual partner can't make it in addition to people looking for a regular climbing buddy.

Usually gyms have a partner board somewhere near the desk if you don't want to do the FB game.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Long term finger strength gains are to be found in increasing the strength of the signal your nervous system sends. This is why a max-hang protocol is the best way to increase finger strength, rather than a repeater protocol which would produce far more hypertrophy in the forearm.

What? This is off base. Yes recruitment is important and max hangs > repeaters for that purpose, but long term gains absolutely require hypertrophy as well as recruitment. You can argue that hyp can be achieved without needing to hangboard, but that’s true for recruitment as well. Strong climbers’ forearms do not look like normal people’s forearms, and that’s not just because of neuromuscular adaptations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

I will let you know. I spend most weekends up in Dillon now that ski season is going but I am sure I will be in Denver sometime.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

I will let you know. I spend most weekends up in Dillon now that ski season is going but I am sure I will be in Denver sometime.

I'm trying hard to avoid getting into skiing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

I'm trying hard to avoid getting into skiing.

What a mistake. Financially good, fun bad.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I hit my drat funny bone downclimbing at the gym today and I can still hardly bend my elbow. Don’t make me go to the doctor for a hurt funny bone

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

jet_dee posted:

i didn't even know that climbing was a sport, really. i was on a business trip and the office had a wall there, i'd walk past it at lunchtime every day and decided to gently caress around on it and did some traversing. one day the person who owns the wall offered to belay me. it was like a 5.6, basically a ladder and i still had to hang 3/4ths of the way up. i was a little scared, and couldn't feel my hands or feet. being lowered was like pulling a cat from a tree. i don't know if it was that moment that had me hooked, but when i got home from the trip climbing was taking over, and i found that when i did it, i felt amazing. my small victories, each bit of progression. it felt like i was directly improving myself and before i knew it, climbing was all i could think of. it's kind of THE thing that's mitigated my chronic depression.

although, i think the depression initially stemmed from growing up and having this sense of adventure and then feeling really unfulfilled with corporate life and just seeing decades of that ahead of me, it just didn't feel worth it. the late stage capitalism rat race, slaving for a big box to get old and die in. suddenly, the path of dirtbagging in a very nice (budget like 50k) converted van, and just climbing all the time manifested itself and there's absolutely no way i'm not going to do it if it's feasible. so yeah my future life plans now revolve entirely around climbing and climbing accessories. i don't know what i'd do without it? probably sit around and be turbo sadbrains idk.

was it my lack of self-preservation and my subconscious thinking it was a brush with death that got me hooked? who knows. brains are weird!

how about yourself?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

NE Indiana in winter is gray and bland, and three years ago it wasn't snowing at all; since my job as a groundskeeper normally revolves around snow removal during February, you can imagine how things were: sitting around all day "maintaining equipment" (i.e. sitting around all day doing nothing). It was really getting to me, and as I had some money saved up and still had lots of PTO to use before the month was over (at the time there was no PTO rollover), I decided to do something I hadn't done in 16 years: take a two-week vacation. I needed to get away, at any rate. My brother lives out in California with his family, and I have some relatives up in the Seattle area, so that was a good excuse to get out west. While in California, my brother took me to a climbing gym in Sacramento; it was getting late and all we really did was some bouldering for about an hour, but I really enjoyed it--I was doing clean V2s consistently and was almost getting some V3s as well. I think it helped that I liked to climb trees as a kid; I still really don't have a problem with the heights or fear of falling (except leading trad!). But as far as I knew there wasn't anything like this in Fort Wayne.

Getting back from vacation, I looked up information on places to climb. And I was almost right--all there really is in town is some bouldering in the basement of an outdoor gear shop, and it's almost all hard bouldering problems (V5 and up) on sometimes old, brittle holds. I asked the people who worked there if there was anything else in town; it turns out that a couple of the YMCA gyms in town have climbing walls. And that's really where things took off for me. The routes were all user-set, and the local climbers are a pretty dedicated bunch--one of the younger guys who taught me now works as a guide out in Yosemite, I believe. I took my first trip out to the Red River Gorge that May, and I've been having fun with my new hobby ever since. I just flashed my first 5.11a this past autumn, and on-sighted a few 5.7 trad lines.

At first I was a little intimidated by the gear--there was a lot to buy, it seemed, and it gets pricey--but it's also nice that, being such a social hobby, one can simply buy stuff piecemeal as one grows in skill and knowledge: initial buy-in is less than $200 for some basic shoes, a harness and chalk. Most experienced climbers teaching new folks how to do stuff, in my experience are willing to share hardware until they can afford their own. And most of the gear is very durable, so it doesn't need to be frequently replaced.

And again, it's a very social activity. You really can't (or rather shouldn't) do it alone, and some semblance of a social life was something I really needed at the time. Just about all the friends I've made in the nearly two decades I've lived out here are people I've met climbing--and again, I've only been climbing for a little under three years! It also helped me build up my self-confidence to the point that I decided to give college another go, so I can do something else with my life. Should be graduating in another two semesters. So it's been a good thing for me, and I can't think of any real downsides.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007

I can't pretend I'm that affected by depression, but a mild form comes and goes and in this past year, I think, has largely been manageable until very recently.
Yes, brains are super weird! My team think I'm an adrenaline junkie now.

I had friends prod me into coming with them, but it wasn't until I moved closer to the city that I could join in. It was addictive and fun.
I ended up taking a two year break after two years of sporadic bouldering, then after a professional exam I decided it was an ideal way to fill the empty time I now had. I describe the feeling of being up on the wall as "not being able to think about anything other than falling to your death" which is as close to meditation as I've ever experienced!

I also made it my mission to never forget anyone's name if I encountered a new person when climbing, because I knew how rare it might be to see that person again anytime soon and the part of me that wanted to make climbing a social activity felt that people would appreciate if I still knew their first name many months later on a chance meeting.
It's certainly been great going three times weekly (after 12 months of weekly bouldering) and seeing some of the same regulars over and over again, building up that sense of a community and becoming known to the staff. Small things like that anchor me to the habit/sport.
Also talking about what you got up to over the weekend and subsequently learning that your colleague is an experienced climber, so hey let's go climb together!, opens up so many social doors at work. Or finding people who're just getting into it or interested in trying it.

Going outdoors with a tour guide company is the logical progression for me but I want to be climbing maybe two v-grades higher and injury-free before I lay out that kind of cash.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
for me exercise has always been the singular source of enjoyment in my life that hasnt been completely denatured, but i had a nasty habit of developing chronic injuries to major parts of my body. after hurting both knees, my lower band and tearing a rotator cuff i basically gave up until a friend told me to climb. the shoulder injury was a year prior so it didnt get antagonized and i havent broken myself too badly so its about the only outlet i have left

Hauki
May 11, 2010

more small potatoes, but I cleaned two new 10as today and then failed a bunch of fuckin’ times on that same V3 I cleaned last week.

can’t figure out how I sequenced through the crux, I know where my hands went but I can’t figure out what the hell I did to get there/get out of it

ShaneB also flashed his first gym 10a even if he says it was easier than some of the 9s we’ve done.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Hauki posted:

more small potatoes, but I cleaned two new 10as today and then failed a bunch of fuckin’ times on that same V3 I cleaned last week.

can’t figure out how I sequenced through the crux, I know where my hands went but I can’t figure out what the hell I did to get there/get out of it

ShaneB also flashed his first gym 10a even if he says it was easier than some of the 9s we’ve done.

Great progress, even if you're not sure how you did it. I'm at about the my-gym 5.9 level, too, so cheers. :) I've done a handful of 10a's, but they either kicked my rear end or felt perfectly tailored to my skills/height.

Right now, I'm working on getting over my fears of overhangs (not being able to see my feet on the crux, and not having great upper body strength to pull myself over). It sort of sucks because I'll be able to crush a 5.9 with only moderate effort, but an overhang 5.7 will just zap my strength. For goons elsewhere, this is Earth Treks in Virginia, so more like 5.7 for my best on slab and 5.0 for overhangs.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Hauki posted:

Too bad you guys don’t climb closer to Boulder. But if you want to hit the canyon, I’m happy to guide.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

What? This is off base. Yes recruitment is important and max hangs > repeaters for that purpose, but long term gains absolutely require hypertrophy as well as recruitment. You can argue that hyp can be achieved without needing to hangboard, but that’s true for recruitment as well. Strong climbers’ forearms do not look like normal people’s forearms, and that’s not just because of neuromuscular adaptations.

We started talking about this because I said that I think a lower protein intake wouldn't be the worst strategy for losing weight for specifically for climbing. Losing weight shouldn't be a long term strategy to begin with, and not getting enough protein means muscular atrophy. The heaviest muscles being the biggest ones being things like glutes and quads. If you're already in reasonable shape, lowering body fat percentage alone won't make as much of a difference to your power to weight as atrophy of big useless muscles. I'm not saying at all that bigger forearms aren't (probably) better, I'm just saying that smaller legs objectively are.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Thinking about nabbing a bouldering pad during holiday sales.

Opinions on best "all-around" type pad? I'm eyeballing the Drop Zone but hear the padding wears out quickly.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

jiggerypokery posted:

We started talking about this because I said that I think a lower protein intake wouldn't be the worst strategy for losing weight for specifically for climbing. Losing weight shouldn't be a long term strategy to begin with, and not getting enough protein means muscular atrophy. The heaviest muscles being the biggest ones being things like glutes and quads. If you're already in reasonable shape, lowering body fat percentage alone won't make as much of a difference to your power to weight as atrophy of big useless muscles. I'm not saying at all that bigger forearms aren't (probably) better, I'm just saying that smaller legs objectively are.

Not getting enough protein while losing weight is a way to 100% guarantee that you will lose strength and is just incredibly, incredibly stupid. For the average person, muscles begin to atrophy after two weeks of not being trained at 100% of their previous stimulus—and that's with a perfect diet, it'll happen faster with a normal one. Losing muscle is incredibly easy and not something that one needs to work at.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Kasumeat posted:

Not getting enough protein while losing weight is a way to 100% guarantee that you will lose strength and is just incredibly, incredibly stupid. For the average person, muscles begin to atrophy after two weeks of not being trained at 100% of their previous stimulus—and that's with a perfect diet, it'll happen faster with a normal one. Losing muscle is incredibly easy and not something that one needs to work at.

Totally hyped to read this less than a month before having surgery where I won't be able to climb for 3 months afterwards :negative:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Totally hyped to read this less than a month before having surgery where I won't be able to climb for 3 months afterwards :negative:

at least you'll still retain the technical skills and such. strength comes and goes quickly. good luck with your surgery! :sun:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

gamera009 posted:

Too bad you guys don’t climb closer to Boulder. But if you want to hit the canyon, I’m happy to guide.

Definitely want to get outside more, let us know!

Betazoid posted:

Great progress, even if you're not sure how you did it. I'm at about the my-gym 5.9 level, too, so cheers. :) I've done a handful of 10a's, but they either kicked my rear end or felt perfectly tailored to my skills/height.

Right now, I'm working on getting over my fears of overhangs (not being able to see my feet on the crux, and not having great upper body strength to pull myself over). It sort of sucks because I'll be able to crush a 5.9 with only moderate effort, but an overhang 5.7 will just zap my strength. For goons elsewhere, this is Earth Treks in Virginia, so more like 5.7 for my best on slab and 5.0 for overhangs.

Haha, yeah. I’ve gotten better at navigating little roofs lately, but when the entire wall is overhanging I struggle much more, even with juggy holds.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

at least you'll still retain the technical skills and such. strength comes and goes quickly. good luck with your surgery! :sun:

Thanks, at least it's in the middle of winter.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

Thinking about nabbing a bouldering pad during holiday sales.

Opinions on best "all-around" type pad? I'm eyeballing the Drop Zone but hear the padding wears out quickly.

I generally think bigger is better and more friends with pads is better. I Boulder like once a year outside because it reminds me of how scary it is. Whipping on trad gear though...NBD.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 19, 2018

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Hauki posted:

Definitely want to get outside more, let us know!

Just shoot a PM. I have gear, etc for sport and I can guide around ElDo and Flagstaff/Flatirons for bouldering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Sent my first v3 Saturday and then slashed my fingers with a knife Sunday. :(