Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1062834587884314624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
alexa nuke the cat 4 30 seconds

:doggo:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Food Boner posted:

alexa nuke the cat 4 30 seconds

:doggo:

Alf give Food Boner his account back

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

who'se buying all this dumb poo poo anyway?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

who'se buying all this dumb poo poo anyway?

I have some non-technically inclined friends who buy every single "convenience" item Amazon puts out, and now Amazon has an audio visual feed of their entire lives twenty four seven

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This guy gets the cyberpunk world. This is also Japan as gently caress.

https://twitter.com/CRrileyCNN/status/1063049183253483520

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
rick perry hasnt even nuked a small country smdh

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Frog Act posted:

and now Amazon has an audio visual feed of their entire lives twenty four seven
it's not just Amazon who has that data, they sell it to third-parties all the time, there's an entire industry now that does nothing but analyze user data/metrics, use machine-learning to discover "insights", construct models for predicting behavior, etc, then sell it all

Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century

quote:

LinkedIn isn’t the only company to use data scientists to generate ideas for products, features, and value-adding services. At Intuit data scientists are asked to develop insights for small-business customers and consumers and report to a new senior vice president of big data, social design, and marketing. GE is already using data science to optimize the service contracts and maintenance intervals for industrial products. Google, of course, uses data scientists to refine its core search and ad-serving algorithms. Zynga uses data scientists to optimize the game experience for both long-term engagement and revenue. Netflix created the well-known Netflix Prize, given to the data science team that developed the best way to improve the company’s movie recommendation system. The test-preparation firm Kaplan uses its data scientists to uncover effective learning strategies.
edit: but what people don't realize is that these companies don't just work with their own data, they buy and sell data from other companies to maximize their gains, that's where everything goes off the rails

it's all a relatively new field and it has exploded with growth, companies know they can make a lot of money harvesting data from users and so now anybody who has data is trying to mine it or sell it. it's all very reckless when you consider the central role data mining and social media has taken in politics

and speaking of politics, in america there are literally no laws protecting consumers from the "big data" industry which is completely unregulated and spying on people constantly

Homocow has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Nov 15, 2018

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

univbee posted:

This guy gets the cyberpunk world. This is also Japan as gently caress.

https://twitter.com/CRrileyCNN/status/1063049183253483520

Dude can never be hacked

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a weird thing where the more you know about technology, the more of a luddite you start seeming, because you know all the features that are pointless, all the ways that things can fail, and probably you've maximized your efficiency for some kind of customized setup that newly developed products aren't tailored for and can ruin.

You need to have some kind of blind naivete to be a futurist and put all your trust and money into every new product and scam.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QndP_PCRSw

:neckbeard:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

silicon valley has always been part of the MIC

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Prav posted:

silicon valley has always been part of the MIC

ya, literally from day 1

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a weird thing where the more you know about technology, the more of a luddite you start seeming, because you know all the features that are pointless, all the ways that things can fail, and probably you've maximized your efficiency for some kind of customized setup that newly developed products aren't tailored for and can ruin.

You need to have some kind of blind naivete to be a futurist and put all your trust and money into every new product and scam.
Worling developing software and being a devoted citizen of the internet has made me start to hate all of it and it gets worse every day.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Arpanet was created to mine Bitcoin

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

someone once wanted to see a picture of a booby, and thus, ENIAC was created

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
sometimes ill see something that reminds me that the entire internet is supported by advertising. not actually selling the products be advertised, just advertising them. every new products ultimate purpose is to spy on you and send you ads for stuff youre not going to buy

youtube makes money by showing ads on videos written by a computer and animated by sweatshops. these ads get "viewed" millions of times by clickfarmers in india who couldnt afford the products if they wanted to. the analytics generated by these fake views are then used by other companies to design products and ads that also wont get bought or watched

the whole internet ecosystem is a giant ouroboros sniffing its own farts

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ikanreed posted:

Arpanet was created to mine Bitcoin

actually it was created to maintain us command in case of soviet nukes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

actually it was created to maintain us command in case of soviet nukes

that was the WOPR not ARPANET

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shear Modulus posted:

that was the WOPR not ARPANET

what a strange game

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Spotted in an sh/sc home networking thread, a story in several parts:

caberham posted:

Sorry to ask again, but does anyone know what

34:ce:00:a2:71:43

is? Im remote logging in to my synology 1900 AC right now and it says one wireless device is connected. It has no IP :(

caberham posted:

It’s my god drat vaccuum cleaner from ages ago. Oh man thanks a bunch, it’s weird how after changing all my login credentials it uses my phones Bluetooth connection to pull in the data??

Thanks again. Mystery solved

derk posted:

what in the gently caress does a vaccuum cleaner need any kind of connection to anything besides a wall outlet for electricity?

eames posted:

iirc somebody reverse engineered this stuff and found that they're collecting maps of the rooms and sending them to the ~cloud~. I can't find the story right now so maybe that was just an Orwellian dream.

e: nah, found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhyM-bhzFsI&t=677s

"The device collects and uploads to Xiaomi cloud a lot of data — several megabytes per day. Along with reasonable things such as device operation telemetry, this data includes the names and passwords of the Wi-Fi networks the device connects to, and the maps of rooms it makes with its built-in lidar sensor."

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/xiaomi-mi-robot-hacked/20632/

that's what you get for buying a quadcore ARM vacuum cleaner running ubuntu LTS. welcome to 2018!

jokes posted:

90% of that article is praising/explaining the "security" of the .. vacuum cleaner .. with a single sentence explaining that it sends off data back home that includes Wi-Fi access points and passwords, and map data of your home. Alongside "reasonable" device telemetry.

This is why I hate IoT poo poo. People always say devices are "secure" even if they send 100% of your data home. It's like if you hire an armored truck to secure your money in transit and they just steal all your poo poo. Technically it was secured from all third parties.

This is also why having a Pi-hole or similar network watchdog thing is important.

I for one welcome our new vacuum cleaner overlords. Any algorithms that predicted I would resist such helpful supervision must have been misled by bad data, haha, isn't that funny? I love our friends the computers.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

A connected vacuum cleaner stealing all your info? How quaint.

quote:

A few questions:

Is there any reason a vibrator should also be a Wi-Fi access point?

What about a vibrator which has an endoscope camera in the end of it?

Should that vibrator also contain hidden functionality to connect itself to Skype?

To save videos automatically to a network file share?

Or send pictures in emails?

What about if it has code injection in its web interface?

Well, that’s the Svakom Siime Eye, a vibrator endoscope. Yes, this thing exists.

https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/vulnerable-wi-fi-dildo-camera-endoscope-yes-really/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Powered Descent posted:

Spotted in an sh/sc home networking thread, a story in several parts:

I for one welcome our new vacuum cleaner overlords. Any algorithms that predicted I would resist such helpful supervision must have been misled by bad data, haha, isn't that funny? I love our friends the computers.

hey kid!! .. don't help computer ..

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

follow this dude for all the best cyberpunk lols

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/999619364541394944

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I wonder if dropping trou and spreading your rear end cheeks to show your prolapsed butthole would trick the computer
if we used rear end phrases kirk johnson would have no security

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

At what point will your average CEO start looking at shilling out a million dollars for a single employees healthcare and say “hey maybe that crazy Medicare for all idea might be ok”
nah theyll look at the healthcare costs and decide to just cut benefits as they literally did in that aol situation

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's kind of weird that Judge Dredd of all things was right about the future being run entirely by robots and society completely failing to cope with it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

sometimes ill see something that reminds me that the entire internet is supported by advertising. not actually selling the products be advertised, just advertising them. every new products ultimate purpose is to spy on you and send you ads for stuff youre not going to buy

youtube makes money by showing ads on videos written by a computer and animated by sweatshops. these ads get "viewed" millions of times by clickfarmers in india who couldnt afford the products if they wanted to. the analytics generated by these fake views are then used by other companies to design products and ads that also wont get bought or watched

lol

Humankind is fuuuuucked and frankly I'm glad

Dec 26, 2012

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

lol

it owns how little sense anything makes

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

He'll yeah finally teaching them something useful

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/1063408845723131904

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

the solution to mass shootings is to train our children in battlefield medicine got it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the solutions to school shootings are going to get more and more absurd as people keep trying to invent new ways that the solution isnt to decrease the probability that a gun will be used to shoot bullets at children

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the reason there are all these school shooting deaths is because some irresponsible parents continue to send their kids to school without kevlar vests

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Schools won’t let kids wear vests or backpacks because they could be used to conceal weapons.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
These irresponsible parents letting their kids go to school without power armor :rolleyes:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

finally we live in a normal country

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
how can anybody expect a frightened teenager to apply critical first-aid to a gunshot victim who is probably also scared and/or crying in pain, I'm all for teaching people first-aid but thinking kids are going to act rationally in a shooting scenario are underestimating how confusing a situation like that actually is

they're not soldiers, they're not in a defense state of mind, how long do you think it takes a person to switch from a "learn algebra" mindset to a "protect your life and apply first-aid to gunshot victims" mindset?

Homocow has issued a correction as of 10:30 on Nov 17, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea

"And I can remember not too long ago seeing a young guy with his right arm gone. Just got back. And I asked him how he was doing. He said he was doing all right now but he had thought he was gonna die. He said getting shot at didn't bother him, it was getting shot that shook him up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

in 20 years they'll be making movies like "platoon" and "hamburger hill" but they'll have titles like "last stand at george wallace high" and "class of '29"