Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

food court bailiff posted:

Does a +1 power token give a corresponding increase in life?

Yes, power = attack damage and life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cool, I was 99% sure that's how it worked but my first deck didn't really have anything usable that way so I wasn't confident on it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes, power = attack damage and life

Does this mean if a creature takes 2 damage and then fights next turn, it’ll deal 2 less damage?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CodfishCartographer posted:

Does this mean if a creature takes 2 damage and then fights next turn, it’ll deal 2 less damage?

No, which is why you don't want to think of it as life. All damage is NOT cleared at the end of the turn and becoming damaged does not reduce the amount of power the creature exerts during a turn.

E: fixed, apologies.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 16, 2018

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

Mayveena posted:

No, which is why you don't want to think of it as life. All damage is cleared at the end of the turn and becoming damaged does not reduce the amount of power the creature exerts during a turn.

Damage is not cleared at the end of the turn.

At the end of the turn, armor is restored.

If a creature has 8 power, it'll always do 8 damage when attacking and it dies when it takes 8 damage total.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

agscala posted:

Damage is not cleared at the end of the turn.

At the end of the turn, armor is restored.

If a creature has 8 power, it'll always do 8 damage when attacking and it dies when it takes 8 damage total.

SORRY!! I'll fix, I meant armor cleared.

Dang it, brain wants to clear damage like you do in Hearthstone (played too much of it), but here in Keyforge, only armor damage clears at the end of the turn.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mayveena posted:

No, which is why you don't want to think of it as life. All damage is NOT cleared at the end of the turn and becoming damaged does not reduce the amount of power the creature exerts during a turn.

E: fixed, apologies.

Okay cool I thought that was how it worked, just got confused by "Yes, power = attack damage and life" since my brain made that believe that they were all tied together - like if you lose life, you lose attack damage.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I guess I should have said "maximum life" or something :v:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Damage Capacity :getin:

That's a Star Wars LCG joke in case you don't get it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
While there's little control over when a player has access to it, one impression I got last night was that Capture is not a great mechanic? The couple Sanctum decks I saw made some use of it. Notable examples being Raiding Night which Captures 1 on play and an action that Captures 3. Unlike Steal, which Shadow seems to have lots of access to, you can't then spend the aember snagged with Capture. And it seems to appear at fairly similar values and frequency. Plus, it makes one of your creatures a target with a bounty for something your opponent already wants to do.

Am I missing something about this keyword, or maybe just didn't see a card that really capitalized on it?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ZorajitZorajit posted:

While there's little control over when a player has access to it, one impression I got last night was that Capture is not a great mechanic? The couple Sanctum decks I saw made some use of it. Notable examples being Raiding Night which Captures 1 on play and an action that Captures 3. Unlike Steal, which Shadow seems to have lots of access to, you can't then spend the aember snagged with Capture. And it seems to appear at fairly similar values and frequency. Plus, it makes one of your creatures a target with a bounty for something your opponent already wants to do.

Am I missing something about this keyword, or maybe just didn't see a card that really capitalized on it?

Capture would have been better if you could do something with captured aember, but I haven't seen any cards that do that. It's still a tempo-oriented play and forces your opponent to fight or play removal, which, you know, maybe they wanted to reap or play a bunch of splashy action cards instead that turn.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I've seen one card that moves captured amber into your pool. But it's primarily just about denying tempo, apparently. Which is still a big deal, as far as I can tell.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, quesiton on Skirmish - does it mean that creature doesn’t take damage when you attack with it, or whenever it fights? The specific wording in the rulebook is “When a creature with the skirmish keyword is used to fight, it takes no damage from the opposing creature when the damage from the fight is dealt.” (emphasis mine) - the “used to fight” text feels like it could be interpreted either way. If it said “used to attack” that would be pretty clear, but “used to fight” could either mean “used in a fight at all” or “used to initiate a fight”

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Yeah it mostly seems to be a tempo play. You can do it to force your opponent to slow down quite a bit, especially if you can protect that creature (armor, healing, taunt, etc).

It also has the obvious use of “oh god my opponent’s about to win, i need to slow them down ASAP” but that seems more niche.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So, quesiton on Skirmish - does it mean that creature doesn’t take damage when you attack with it, or whenever it fights? The specific wording in the rulebook is “When a creature with the skirmish keyword is used to fight, it takes no damage from the opposing creature when the damage from the fight is dealt.” (emphasis mine) - the “used to fight” text feels like it could be interpreted either way. If it said “used to attack” that would be pretty clear, but “used to fight” could either mean “used in a fight at all” or “used to initiate a fight”

Yeah it mostly seems to be a tempo play. You can do it to force your opponent to slow down quite a bit, especially if you can protect that creature (armor, healing, taunt, etc).

It also has the obvious use of “oh god my opponent’s about to win, i need to slow them down ASAP” but that seems more niche.

"used to fight" means that you used it to fight, not that it's fighting as a response to being attacked

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
It looks like Pax Unplugged will be my first/only chance to check this out. There’s one game store near me and the owner told me that I was the second person to ask about it so they decided not to bother.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I've bought three decks so far and it'll be four by the end of the day, I'm pretty hooked.

Capture is interesting because it forces your opponent to target creatures for attack they might otherwise ignore, losing any Amber is not good when theoretically you need 18 to win a game. If you're both close to match point it can be the deciding factor. As far as I've seen, Steal creatures are mostly low power. Board control is very different in this game so that may not end up meaning as much.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RE: Capture - I'd like to see cards that switch creature's controller, so that you could capture it but put it into play under your opponents control. That way when you kill it, you get it. So effectively "Delayed Steal". It's still a good Stall tactic - I have 3x Charretes (PLAY: Capture 3) in one of my decks that is frustrating to play against.

Also it forces your opponent to Attack rather than simply Reap more.

RE: Skirmish - As the other guy said it's when you USE a creature to Fight. So if you're the "defender" you don't get the benefit.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

"used to fight" means that you used it to fight, not that it's fighting as a response to being attacked

I agree with this interpretation. Use is pretty clearly defined but I wish the templating was cleaner. I ran into a few cards referring to the creature attacking. If the distinction is intentional rather than an oversight, it’s a bad call.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Prairie Bus posted:

I agree with this interpretation. Use is pretty clearly defined but I wish the templating was cleaner. I ran into a few cards referring to the creature attacking. If the distinction is intentional rather than an oversight, it’s a bad call.

The interpretation is directly from the lead dev, if it helps :v:

Same with the one I mentioned earlier about power increases also increasing max health

Sab669 posted:

RE: Capture - I'd like to see cards that switch creature's controller, so that you could capture it but put it into play under your opponents control. That way when you kill it, you get it. So effectively "Delayed Steal". It's still a good Stall tactic - I have 3x Charretes (PLAY: Capture 3) in one of my decks that is frustrating to play against.

Not quite the same but there is a Mars creature that has "Action: choose an enemy creature. It captures 1 Amber from its own side"

it's in this deck, Mindwarper: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/2b6b0500-23bc-41de-bd1d-536cb859ed57

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 16, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They use the word attacking in their vocabulary for the game but then with skirmish for some reason it's 'used to fight' instead of attacking like they used for assault. Very disappointing, that should have been caught in my opinion.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I have a card that "captures" amber from the common pool and puts it on an opponents creature. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, I’ve seen lots of people talking about how goofy their deck names are, but how about how your decks actually play? I’m more interested in hearing about the cool combos and playstyles people have found in their decks.

My deck, while probably nothing special, is fun in that a lot of it is fairly defensive, but also enjoys fighting. There’s a fair amount of healing and armor, combined with some direct nukes to make it very hard to get rid of your dudes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well I bought two decks and one is a four horsemen set. Those are going for $250 on CSI currently so I threw that thing up on eBay without even opening the plastic. :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So, I’ve seen lots of people talking about how goofy their deck names are, but how about how your decks actually play? I’m more interested in hearing about the cool combos and playstyles people have found in their decks.

My deck, while probably nothing special, is fun in that a lot of it is fairly defensive, but also enjoys fighting. There’s a fair amount of healing and armor, combined with some direct nukes to make it very hard to get rid of your dudes.

I don't know the deck name, but my coworker's deck is basically like, "Archive all your Martians, draw them later, and then use Mothergun to kill anything they play no matter how big" which is a pretty cool combo.

My decks:

Dame Platcer, the Authentic Aristocrat - Haven't played this one yet.
Jayme, Capitol Soldier - Or this one
Elidyr, Well-bred Outlands Sorceress - ...or this one :(
C. X. Slatesee of the Fidgeting Hall - I think I have a problem, you guys
The Empathic Shaman - This one's OK, I've only played it twice. Haven't really figured it out, yet. Phoenix Heart + Ammonia Clouds is a cool board clear combo.
King the Inconspicuous - This one I like a lot. As I mentioned earlier, 3 Charettes is rude as gently caress and will slow your opponent down real good.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 16, 2018

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Bottom Liner posted:

Well I bought two decks and one is a four horsemen set. Those are going for $250 on CSI currently so I threw that thing up on eBay without even opening the plastic. :v:

ah yes the wonderful disconnect between "is being listed for this price" and "is actually being bought by humans for this price"

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Are we doing power rankings of houses yet? Here's what I've determined so far:

Untamed - Mars
Logos
Sanctum
Brobnar

Unranked - Dis, Shadow

To be honest, I haven't had that much experience with Dis and Shadow yet to be able to fairly rank them. Untamed and Mars both feel really good. Logos required a fair bit of setup to get rolling.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

mp5 posted:

ah yes the wonderful disconnect between "is being listed for this price" and "is actually being bought by humans for this price"

CSI has sold quite a few decks today at 200+ brah. Ebay has prices going up to $350 on sold listings :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...lete=1&_fosrp=1

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 17, 2018

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Benson Cunningham posted:

Are we doing power rankings of houses yet? Here's what I've determined so far:

Untamed - Mars
Logos
Sanctum
Brobnar

Unranked - Dis, Shadow

To be honest, I haven't had that much experience with Dis and Shadow yet to be able to fairly rank them. Untamed and Mars both feel really good. Logos required a fair bit of setup to get rolling.

I'd have to say:

Untamed
Dis
Shadow
Sanctum
Brobnar
Mars
Logos

But that doesn't mean much, out of context it's very very difficult to evaluate a house. Mars has some incredible cards but I've found they are often combo dependant. The reason for my rankings is:

Untamed - recursion and straight Amber gain are just really good
Dis - Dominator Bauble, steals, captures, board clears.
Shadow - lots of steals and targeted removal
Sanctum - probably best at developing and maintaining board, can't help you much if you're already losing
Brobnar - Stuns are stupid good, and maybe bad game design?
Mars - hugely swingy, good board removal but needs other houses to support it. Relies on specific board states to achieve anything cool
Logos - Reap abilities are nice and Logos can turn on some insane power turns, but half of the time the cards you have don't apply to the situation you're in.

Obviously ymmv, I've only played six games and need to test the field more.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I'd have to say:

Untamed
Dis
Shadow
Sanctum
Brobnar
Mars
Logos

I think the combo of Mars and Logos has been pretty good for me, which my account for my rankings. I've been able to frequently maneuver 4-5 of each into my hand/archive for a turn and just really start going off with abilities.

I agree that they are both very swingy though. Also agree with your thoughts on Sanctum and Brobnar. Really wish I had pulled a few more Dis decks. Right now I have none.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Benson Cunningham posted:

I think the combo of Mars and Logos has been pretty good for me, which my account for my rankings. I've been able to frequently maneuver 4-5 of each into my hand/archive for a turn and just really start going off with abilities.

I agree that they are both very swingy though. Also agree with your thoughts on Sanctum and Brobnar. Really wish I had pulled a few more Dis decks. Right now I have none.

Oh yeah, Logos/Mars can be really dang good. Tonight I got up to 10 cards in hand with Logos/Sanctum/Mars for several turns and could blow anything on the board away with Mothergun. My problem was, blowing stuff up doesn't directly help my win condition, it just slows my opponent, and I was afraid to dump those Mars cards onto the board because then Mothergun would go from good to useless. So I really have no idea how to effectively evaluate factions without considering their partner houses.

If I have one real criticism of this game, it's that it's such a crab bucket. Every time a player manages to scratch and claw their way a little closer to a key, the other player usually has something to take away what little they've done. It's really a battle of inches and sometimes that can be frustrating.

To pair that with something positive, this game is really different. Parts of it are a little dumb, others parts are kind of brilliant, but it's wriggling my mind trying to take in the whole of the design the more I play it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Meet O. Bhor, Atlavik's Sly Actor, and his supporting cast, the Four Horsemen.

Even aside from the Horsemen, it's a good one--Bad Penny is, well, bad, but she actually works surprisingly well with double Seeker Needle. The Brobnar is big and stompy, with a Phoenix Heart to keep the board clear and get some recursion going.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Meet O. Bhor, Atlavik's Sly Actor, and his supporting cast, the Four Horsemen.

Even aside from the Horsemen, it's a good one--Bad Penny is, well, bad, but she actually works surprisingly well with double Seeker Needle. The Brobnar is big and stompy, with a Phoenix Heart to keep the board clear and get some recursion going.

Wow, gently caress Blinding Light!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really wish the tournament tomorrow was survivor format because I cannot decide which deck to use.

My two favorites are actually the same factions (Sanctum/Shadow/Untamed) but play very differently

Brikcred, the Memorable Zoo Criminal, which combines a ton of creature power with six artifacts to hold control, but doesn't have any mass board removal. Can use Oath of Poverty as a "finishing blow" to blow up the artifacts for mass amber if needed.

J. Krylov, Shielder of the Hungry Stadium, uses Round Table to allow the Sanctum Knights to protect the smaller Shadow cards that can seriously gently caress with the opponent. Also has more reliable ways of removing creatures. But has fewer creatures and only four knights, so if I lose them it may be a struggle to regain any control.

I also have a couple more that I like but don't really have any play time with so I don't know if they're actually any good :v:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 17, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Personally I'd say the houses are overall all pretty well balanced, and it's more or less impossible to rank them, because you get such a small subset of each in any given deck.

Playing sanctum and get three lots of Horsemen, amazing. Playing Sanctum and get 3 lots of Horsemen, Shadows with every single 1 Power critter, and no other critters... maybe less good.

Playing Logos, get 3 Library Access, 3 Wild Wormholes, 3 Labworks, and 3 Phase Shifts, amazing. Etc.

THere are no good houses, or good cards, there are only good combos within houses in a deck, good synergies between houses in a deck, and the good decks that result.

E: these are my two goobers:

Brother Zertor the Prismatic Doctor
Saville of Treforth

I like Zertor a lot more, it's SUPER rushy, and has a couple of hilarious combos within its Sanctum - the general shape of play is 'direct aember generation from untamed, reap with everything else whilst allowing your opponent to attrit things to death, then when he's got a strong board presence, stun everything, cleansing wave everything, glorious few, get like 12+ aember in a turn, then play the Vaultkeeper to stop it getting nicked'.

The other deck's Sanctum runs very similarly, but the rest is much more just 'fightyfight' and it has Logos without Library Access, Wild Wormhole or Phase shift #notmyLogos. There's a neat trick with Interdimensional Graft and double titan mechanics though - reduce their forge cost, then steal their spare aember to get your forge, then play some things outside to stop it next turn.

Wish I'd got a second deck that was a bit more different in style from the first. I'll just have to wait until I do some sealed play to find one. I'm not buying any more.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 17, 2018

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

After some understandable cynicism about deckbuilding and distribution, I decided to cave and give this game a try. And it's really loving fun. I appreciate a card game that isn't just smacking dudes into one another and the complete lack of deckbuilding actually makes it really easy to casually get into compared to something like Netrunner.

I got two decks but this one is easily My Boy. Y. Einstein, the Vortex Architect. Brobnar/Dis/Logos

So far it's just played as a real fucker of messing people about and constantly shooting down their Key attempts. And apparently Brobnar's not that good but having double Anger and double Ganger Chieftain with Gauntlet of Command can just lead to absurd attack chains. Dis seems to be the designated Disruptive Shithead faction, something I am a big fan of. And my Logos cards are mostly just kinda there but they're pretty reliable and double Effervescent Principle is a great gift for anyone who struggled through having their board getting bashed in and the assorted ranks of Dis fuckboys.

Games thus far have tended to go pretty long.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They do say on the FFG website that games should go ~45 minutes, which is long for this type of game but I'm fine with it. It sure the hell beats getting OTK'd in five minutes.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

If you have a lot of creatures on the board, forty five minutes suddenly doesn't feel that long for a game. Especially Mars creatures that all have fight/reap abilities.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have four aggressively mediocre decks that I'm not a huge fan of. It came down to sleeving up either one that's entertaining because it has a lot of purging effects, or one that managed to win a game on Thursday. I opted for the latter.

It was probably a mistake.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My flgs is going to be doing primarily sealed events to start, although if the store runs out of product that will change really quickly.

Here's hoping that FFG has quick turnaround on new decks and :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Are there counts for how many unique cards, not counting mavericks, there are in each house right now? Even with just the first three decks I opened I'm seeing a lot of repeats.