Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crusader Kings II: a light bit of incest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glasgerion
Jul 25, 2007
Strike on strike on
I don't know how he did it, but I really gotta hand it to him

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

:yeshaha:

Ulfhildr was such a loving badass. Daughter of Sigurdr Ring, ruled for 51 years, reformed the Germanic faith, killed 82 poor motherfuckers, led a legendary journey to the Byzantine Empire and came back alive, never lost a duel in her loving life, outlived all of her kids, and was just all around one of the coolest rulers I've ever played. I mean, goddamn;

And that's after losing quite a few traits...

Oh, and if your female ruler isn't married when she earns her bloodline, all your kids will get it (at least if they're of your dynasty). So, uh, get stabbing/divorcing.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I've seen a few things about Catholics having some pretty bad bugs around chaplains becoming the Pope and negative opinion modifiers firing when they shouldn't be. Can anyone chime in on exactly how bad it is in typical gameplay?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Odd little feature of the Imperial government's inability to usurp kingdom titles; it can make vassal management much more of a pain, since even if you completely kick a kingdom out of its dejure area, you can't make that kingdom title yourself to consolidate the vassals there unless the target kingdom is totally destroyed. I'm a bit over my vassal limits now because this guy is hoarding the kingdom titles of Egypt, Africa, and Nubia, while only actually existing in the latter. And it's a lot more territory to wipe him out entirely.

You also can't transfer vassalage, apparently, of titles that de jure belong to a title that belongs to someone else. I guess I could just hand the territory itself to a single megavassal as I acquire it, but making a more sensible distribution later would be a pain that way.

ShootaBoy posted:

So I've seen a few things about Catholics having some pretty bad bugs around chaplains becoming the Pope and negative opinion modifiers firing when they shouldn't be. Can anyone chime in on exactly how bad it is in typical gameplay?
It probably won't be an issue for you if you're not playing an Italian, since their guys usually become pope. But if you are, you may want to make sure not to put any potential papal candidates on your council; if elected, they think you fired them (for I believe -35 total opinion?) and are then likely to excommunicate you in retaliation, since popes are also pretty excommunication-happy at the moment if their opinion of you dips negative.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 17, 2018

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

big dyke energy posted:

Oh, and if your female ruler isn't married when she earns her bloodline, all your kids will get it (at least if they're of your dynasty). So, uh, get stabbing/divorcing.

All your kids will get the bloodline either way afaik.
It's just if it's a matrilineal bloodline then your sons won't pass it to their sons.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

Ulfhildr was such a loving badass. Daughter of Sigurdr Ring, ruled for 51 years, reformed the Germanic faith, killed 82 poor motherfuckers, led a legendary journey to the Byzantine Empire and came back alive, never lost a duel in her loving life, outlived all of her kids, and was just all around one of the coolest rulers I've ever played. I mean, goddamn;

Now, me personally? I've got my doubts that Alexander, noted Macedonian, managed to spread his DNA all the way to Normandy. But I can't argue with an invasion per ruler.

As far as Catholics with dumb names go, Tiernualloc was hard as gently caress. To be fair, he killed significantly fewer than 82 people, but he did live through and win two separate Crusades.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

My Holy Roman Emperors are the descendants of what's basically a Christian version of this lady.

You can't handle virtue of that magnitude. Basically she was cured of the plague by a mystical treatment given by the court physician when she was 17, which gave her basically all the virtues except dilligence which she got later in life. Then she was cured yet again of another disease (can't remember which, I was about to just temporarily close the game in despair at that point because it happened within a year of her having the plague) and got the poet trait somehow. She didn't fight like your Ulfhildr, but I got her to the top rank of the Dominican order and she acquired devotion points so fast that she virtually rescued Northern Germany by her own (by using the instant county conversion power) from heresy that was spiralling out of control due to rampaging vikings. Now her descendants are Emperors and most of the larger viking realms are Christian. The vikings in York actually conquered all of the British Isles and formed the empire of Britannia nad kicked off the Crusades by conquering Burgundy around ~900, they're Christian as well now.

Huh, I just had a look at the Caliphs, and it's a bit weird that I haven't scrapped the Sayyid and Mirza traits and instead made them into bloodlines.

e: Also being malnourished while Catholic (possibly it was by being a member of the Dominicans, not sure), you'll essentially have priests and monks popping in to tell you "yo, I think you are doing a great job starving yourself to death and ruining your body!". Reminds me of Bernard of Clairvaux who was famous for having ruined his body's digestion to such a degree by fasting that he was no longer able to really keep any food down, so in his church the monks had to install a hole by the pulpit for him to do his business when the need came, because otherwise he would never make it in time.

e2: Oh, yeah this was the state of Catholicism in my game around the time when that lady took over rule of Saxony.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 17, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Oh yeah, I've had a really pious ruler (a Benedictine) who I had to force to eat (and get stuff like Depressed or Stressed as a result) or he'd starve himself to death.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It would have been really cool if you could properly play as the Papacy and attempt to go toe-to-toe against secular rulers wielding guilt, shame and fear of eternal damnation in place of armies as your weapons. Or play as the actual head of a monastic order and expand your organization, settle and exploit the hinterlands and try to make sure your various monastic orders stay true to your rule, possibly get into the Papacy and do the same to the Christian Church.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, has anyone figured out how to get bloodlines that go both ways? Because if I had known I'd have needed this much drat incest I woulda gone with divine marriage, jc

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

My current spymaster is quite a colorful figure to say the least.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What could be the reason that i cannot set up merchant republics as a norse ruler that has adopted feudalism and reformed the germanic faith? I'm trying to give the duchy to a city mayor like i always did in the past, but there's no duchies in the list even tho i have it available to give away.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dongattack posted:

What could be the reason that i cannot set up merchant republics as a norse ruler that has adopted feudalism and reformed the germanic faith? I'm trying to give the duchy to a city mayor like i always did in the past, but there's no duchies in the list even tho i have it available to give away.

You must give them a county first.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Torrannor posted:

You must give them a county first.

Ah yes there we go, thank you. I always forget a step to this process when i pick up the game again it seems.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Who among us isn't a one-eyed, ugly, drunkard, gregarious, lustful, cruel, master seducer dwarf lunatic?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Never have a lunatic spymaster unless you're fine with their lunatic inspired kill plots succeeding, possibly killing your family, other councilors and sometimes you, though mostly, it must be said, random courtiers

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Any reason to not accept all the friend requests?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sulphagnist posted:

Who among us isn't a one-eyed, ugly, drunkard, gregarious, lustful, cruel, master seducer dwarf lunatic?

Isn't that just Tyrion?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I don't know if any of you do this. But if you find yourself in need of decent councillors and commanders, it's often quite effective to just go to the character finder and filter by "will join court" and "male" (unless you can employ women) and find characters with traits and stats you want.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Piell posted:

Isn't that just Tyrion?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

So, uh, I'm doing my first Catholic game of Holy Fury, and the Pope just called for the first Crusade for Jerusalem, and I can't pledge to join the crusade because apparently the Pope isn't my religious head.

That seems... weird. (And yes, I am Catholic)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cyflan posted:

So, uh, I'm doing my first Catholic game of Holy Fury, and the Pope just called for the first Crusade for Jerusalem, and I can't pledge to join the crusade because apparently the Pope isn't my religious head.

Who are you playing as? Maybe your liege has an antipope set up.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Maybe you're a vassal of the HRE and it's currently running an antipope?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Cyflan posted:

If you're in the HRE there is about a 95% chance that the Kaiser is doing antipope bullshit.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Who are you playing as? Maybe your liege has an antipope set up.

:doh:
I really should have thought of that. Yeah, he sure does.

Thanks to all three of you!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Having women inherit and own land on the same terms as men, when reforming the Norse faith, is complete lunacy. You effectively double your amount of agents and landowners, and daughters actually become better than sons, as they can become shieldmaidens and stupidly loyal through combat events where you're both present.

Does Catholics get to reform, too? It has such a mindboggling number of choices to pick between, and I wish it was more than a one and done event per game.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Man, I did the "Forge Bloodline" thing for the first time today, and I really wish it was a little less opaque what the event-chain ones do. I'm not even sure if the choices I got were tied to the goals I was pursuing or if I just did a completely different thing than my original intent.

On the plus side, lots of replay value, I suppose!

THE BAR posted:

Does Catholics get to reform, too? It has such a mindboggling number of choices to pick between, and I wish it was more than a one and done event per game.

Catholics get to reform, but not until Europa Universalis. :v:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I want to try this game but I play on a 27" 1440p monitor. The font size is beyond small, totally unreadable. I tried various windowed resolutions and nothing really helped, because the DPI of my monitor is so high. I do not really want to play this full screen at 800x600, which is apparently what it was designed for.

Is there a UI overhaul mod available in steamworks that basically doubles all the font sizes?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

pmchem posted:

I want to try this game but I play on a 27" 1440p monitor. The font size is beyond small, totally unreadable.

Did you notice the UI scale (experimental) option? Works fine for me.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

So I haven't played since I think conclave, and there's so much poo poo I need to learn now. Is there a recommended youtube tutorial to go over everything in the UI now?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Is there an easy way to search for other bloodlines?I want to engineer a dynasty with as many as possible but it's been tricky trying, for example, to find a descendant of the sea king bloodline since I don't remember his name.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mayor Dave posted:

Is there an easy way to search for other bloodlines?I want to engineer a dynasty with as many as possible but it's been tricky trying, for example, to find a descendant of the sea king bloodline since I don't remember his name.

Last page of the ledger has a list of all bloodlines by founder, as well as number of living members. Clicking on one will open the screen on it, and clicking on the bloodline icon on the founder's portrait will bring up a list of all living members.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Roland Jones posted:

Last page of the ledger has a list of all bloodlines by founder, as well as number of living members. Clicking on one will open the screen on it, and clicking on the bloodline icon on the founder's portrait will bring up a list of all living members.

Knew it had to be somewhere. Thanks!

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

so my universally hated leper king became immortal after a winning a mass conversion war. what are some tips on surviving childhood until I can get rid of all these assholes in my court?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
50 goddamn piety from reforming african paganism and then i died in battle and now i'm an inbred infant :smith:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MaxieSatan posted:

Catholics get to reform, but not until Europa Universalis. :v:

Yeah, and it totally sucks compared to this!

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

So basically I'm a loving badass and am immortal on the battlefield. I have never had so much fun not giving a gently caress about anything in poland. I can't say anyone's loving name but each poo poo and die everyone else.

This guy's brother was my first inheritor who looked pretty good, quickly conquered some provinces around me and dealt with an entire bastard line. Then while stealin krakow from moravia I get konked on the head and die a few months after winning the war an incapable vegetable.

So then my new vassal just happened to be a loving hero in the guild and is immediately chosen over my 2 other sons. Turns out to be the best hiesman I have ever had and this guy goes on to be an a legend.

I can get into wars with countries 3x my size and win pretty handily. Just sacrificing and slaughtering commanders like it was nothing. Not only does this guy totally gently caress up the entirety of eastern europe's dynastic landscape but he lives for fuckin 70 years and is still a god on the battlefield by the end of it.

All hail god-king krakus the crackin' krakin

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Here's something loving stupid: I'm playing the king of Sweden and my wife is queen of Denmark, I have an inherited claim on Denmark that I'm not going to use. We have an alliance, poo poo is cool.

Then one of her vassals starts a revolt to put me on the throne. I don't want that, I'm at my vassal limit as it is, so I join my wife's war. To suppress a revolt in my favor. Now she's mad at me for being a traitor, but happy I joined her war. This is so dumb.

vv ugh you're totally right!! I didn't think about that.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

big dyke energy posted:

Here's something loving stupid: I'm playing the king of Sweden and my wife is queen of Denmark, I have an inherited claim on Denmark that I'm not going to use. We have an alliance, poo poo is cool.

Then one of her vassals starts a revolt to put me on the throne. I don't want that, I'm at my vassal limit as it is, so I join my wife's war. To suppress a revolt in my favor. Now she's mad at me for being a traitor, but happy I joined her war. This is so dumb.

Probably would have been an even bigger opinion boost just letting them put you on the throne then granting your wife the kingdom title as soon as you got it. Just to make it sillier