Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Laranzu posted:

Thought Norway was pretty good at salvage operations. Apparently they didn't have their A crew on because the lines snapped and their Frigate is now entirely a submarine.

Any ship can be a submarine once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

But the best breakfast is half a mile down the beach at Dukes Canoe club!

The best value breakfast is at the base bowling alley

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
All hail the original FRO

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cerekk posted:

Cerekk posted:

Yeah I saved a picture of it. I’m fat.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If you end up at MMA Drinks are on me. Though there's not a lot of reasons to be up here.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Should know by the end of the week what I get and will keep you updated if I need to reconsider my stance on alcohol.

Also, have any of you heard of Partial OHA vice Single OHA? apparently I was getting Partial instead of Single out in Japan, and now the man has come for his money.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Valley Stared posted:

So got post-school shore options: Most of them are in Norfolk (mostly instructor slots) with a DESRON billet in Hawaii, two NROTC slots (one at VMI and another at the Mass. Maritime Academy) and another at Dahlgren which I'm fairly confused about.

Leaning towards Hawaii just because it will be different from what I've done, and most people I've spoken with say that Hawaii is nice. I'll probably put down Norfolk as my other top options with the MMA ROTC spot as my 4th.

I know as a noble this sounds terribly trite, and "oh no two shore duties!" but I am curious as to what you all think.

I happen to know a lot about VMI, if you have any questions.

It's pretty remote for a college, I'll tell you that. Lexington is nice though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just realized today is my 4rth year of service. Thanks all you guys that have given me advice both good and bad.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1063286804839899136

Good to know the other live fire events were without purpose. DoN finally being real.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

LingcodKilla posted:

Just realized today is my 4rth year of service. Thanks all you guys that have given me advice both good and bad.

Wow, we started in a MEPS hall and now we're here

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Wow, we started in a MEPS hall and now we're here

Yup. Had a nice dinner with you in Alexandria. Would do again.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
This thread had good advice? Really?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

This thread had good advice? Really?

I don't know about the other service thread but our solid advice of don't enlist with a degree, don't enlist if you're a nuke, if you do enlist make it an IWC rate, and don't take apart your weapon on watch is solid

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I don't know about the other service thread but our solid advice of don't enlist with a degree, don't enlist if you're a nuke, if you do enlist make it an IWC rate, and don't take apart your weapon on watch is solid

Four for four of you dont count an AA as a degree!

Only ever got one case of down right bad advice with asking for Mahu in Hawaii.

There’s some wind of orders to the admirals staff on the Blue Ridge for over 100 days. Should I throw my hat in the ring? My coworker a reaaaaal sailor is scoffing at it because it’s a soft job not like his time on destroyers.
Jerk, I didn’t join the Navy reserves for a tough time, wtf.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Now that Fat Leonard is out of the picture that assignment is probably a lot less entertaining.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Yup. Had a nice dinner with you in Alexandria. Would do again.

Fun fact this man was road testing his Tom Selleck costume in August. Hope it worked out for Halloween

And actually asking for mahu was incredible advice

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

There’s some wind of orders to the admirals staff on the Blue Ridge for over 100 days. Should I throw my hat in the ring? My coworker a reaaaaal sailor is scoffing at it because it’s a soft job not like his time on destroyers.

Mahu in Hawaii was entertaining for the rest of us, less so for you though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Don't worry, nobody does.

quote:

If you want to spend a few months in Japan, there are worse ways to do it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I saw a similar email for other rates in the IWC, if I wasn't in the middle of grad school and a career change I would have left my old job for a few months to do this.

Preface: I have not been out on the Blue Ridge (or the Mount Whitney) only the other Gator Navy ships

Pro: You're a traditional reservist and not many get a chance to go to sea. You'd get the Sea Service Ribbon and possibly get your ESWS pin if you really wanna be crazy. You'd actually get to see what the active, blue water Navy does. You should be attached to the embarked staff and not ship's company so, fewer chances for dumb watches. Blue Ridge makes good port calls, from what I am told.

Con: You're on a ship. You're a non-khaki on a ship. You're embarked staff so ship's company is going to hate you. Depending on how berthing works, you may have a separate for staff (LHA - that I only got to hear about) or you'll be put wherever they can find enough space (LHD - 250 man berthing of Snipe's Castle with the engineers). Knowing what the blue water Navy does doesn't really help when you MOB to Djibouti or Afghanistan.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 17, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thanks. I exchanged emails with the LT gathering people and she took the time to comb through my records and asked me I was available so I guess I have a chance.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Not a sailor but I've seen the Blue Ridge a few times while stationed on amphibs in Japan. 100 days isn't enough time to really hate your life and getting a chance to hang out in Japan is always cool. I had a blast both times I was stationed there.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Not a sailor but I've seen the Blue Ridge a few times while stationed on amphibs in Japan. 100 days isn't enough time to really hate your life and getting a chance to hang out in Japan is always cool. I had a blast both times I was stationed there.

Also if Blue Ridge puts reservists to work like we did, you will be freeing someone up to get snagged for poo poo work while you do in rate stuff. That way the reserves stay happy and keep sending folks out and the ship has another person to do things no one else wants to.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Japan is awesome, but the Blue Ridge is not the "real navy." Even by amphib standards, it's not a real amphib. It's an old ship (almost 50), but just got out of a long dry dock period, so it should be decently comfortable. More so than it was.

When I say "real navy" in this case, I just mean that the Blue Ridge is not really designed to go out and fight. It's a command ship, so it was designed with more comfort in mind. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's just not what most sailors experience.

It does hit a lot of ports for a variety of reasons, so that might be enough incentive to go out for a while. I know a few people on there though they're officers and senior enlisted. If you get it and you're interested, I can PM you some info.

Thankfully my pay was figured out. Apparently the navy thought that they had overpaid me by $31,000 or so.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sounds like my kind of gig.

I’ll keep that in mind The Valley.

The chance to do in rate work is very appealing. Also there has been very few afloat orders I’ve seen.

Between this or the USNO again it should be another good year.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Valley Stared posted:

Thankfully my pay was figured out. Apparently the navy thought that they had overpaid me by $31,000 or so.

Goddamn you nearly got McNally'd

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

Goddamn you nearly got McNally'd

I think that already happened on the midwatch.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

drat son

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

M_Gargantua posted:

:piss:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

M_Gargantua posted:

:captainpop:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

Ouch that’s a spicy hot take

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

:golfclap:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

M_Gargantua posted:

Goddamn

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
go navy, beat army kids

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/10/04/navy-chief-sentenced-for-beating-up-kid-at-youth-soccer-game/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Navy sent me a letter begging me to re-up and offering 20k for a 4 year committment. Lol no because 20k is about 1/8 the difference in the pay cut I would take going back in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Navy sent me a letter begging me to re-up and offering 20k for a 4 year committment. Lol no because 20k is about 1/8 the difference in the pay cut I would take going back in.

wow a whole 5k minus taxes a year...

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Resting assured the Navy will do nothing further since they're a Chief

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Looking forward to the bake sale to support him

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You know how many "mandatory" car washes they're going to be able to run with that DEP pool?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

maffew buildings posted:

Resting assured the Navy will do nothing further since they're a Chief

Because a chief beat a kid, E-5 and below will have to undergo a mandatory "don't beat kids" powerpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I know we joke about this stuff (kinda) but the Navy SNCO ranks are a huge factor why I ddon't want to continue service in the Navy