Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Stairmaster posted:

why'd they name it Camp Fire

It started on Camp Creek road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why not call it camp creek fire then

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Stairmaster posted:

why not call it camp creek fire then

:goofy:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

hell fire and hurricane 2020

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
:dudsmile:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sincx posted:

Okay this guy got me to look into how the official air quality sensors work.

Let's see here...

:catstare:

I tried to find out how much this thing costs, but it seems like it's a "if you have to ask, it's too much" sort of deal. I did find one pulled listing on eBay from 2015 for $15,000 but nothing beyond that.

We're basically fat, stupid apes with access to science fiction technology

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vox Nihili posted:

We're basically fat, stupid apes with access to science fiction technology

soon the majestic apes of the burger will depart this moist rock and others will rise in their place

it is known

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Addamere posted:

would orbital beam weapons even work against targets beneath the atmosphere?

You'd want low frequency light with a wavelength within a transmission window (So probably not visible light?) But it's potentially doable? I haven't thought about this beyond the basic optics so maybe there's more subtle issues with the idea?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
1.0 to 1.1 micrometers maybe? If you're specifically trying to set fire to vegetation

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

sincx posted:

Okay this guy got me to look into how the official air quality sensors work.

Let's see here...

:catstare:

I tried to find out how much this thing costs, but it seems like it's a "if you have to ask, it's too much" sort of deal. I did find one pulled listing on eBay from 2015 for $15,000 but nothing beyond that.

I know that sounds super high tech, but it's not actually fundamentally different from how a $20 smoke detector works

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh lol just realized all the people whose smoke alarms are going off because of outside air all the time.

That must suck

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

ikanreed posted:

I know that sounds super high tech, but it's not actually fundamentally different from how a $20 smoke detector works

similar mechanisms are used to count lots of things too, though often using light instead of electrons. flow cytometry, dynamic light scattering. lots of very fancy ways to shine lights on things and look at how hosed up the light is.

it's platos cave all the way down

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Stairmaster posted:

It started near camp creek

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tastykake posted:

similar mechanisms are used to count lots of things too, though often using light instead of electrons. flow cytometry, dynamic light scattering. lots of very fancy ways to shine lights on things and look at how hosed up the light is.

it's platos cave all the way down

We achieved great strides in science during and immediately after the world wars, and it feels like we just did not care enough to keep going.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Addamere posted:

We achieved great strides in science during and immediately after the world wars, and it feels like we just did not care enough to keep going.

remember how we were gonna be living on the moon by the year 2000

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VectorSigma posted:

remember how we were gonna be living on the moon by the year 2000

Whose fault is it that we didn't elect Newt? :colbert:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
and let's not forget those home smoke detectors are most likely powered by americium :911:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
at best capitalism will invent technology that will delay the consequences of exploitation for a little while longer

that's what everyone before us did anyway

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/johnlgc/status/1063871239079358464?s=21

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
we made our own caravan wooo usa usa usa usa

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008
remember to rake tonight before you go to bed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
California is really gonna have step up to build the overpasses to shelter these folks.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

California is really gonna have step up to build the overpasses to shelter these folks.

infrastructure week, at last

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I feel like this is the kind of poo poo FEMA is supposed to be handling, but alas, it no longer exists

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lord of Pie posted:

infrastructure week, at last

bad news they decided to shove them into the unused Boring Company tunnels

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
something like this happening in cali is basically enough to ruin 99% of people financially

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When do we start measuring forest fires in categories and start naming them human names?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like this is the kind of poo poo FEMA is supposed to be handling, but alas, it no longer exists

Trumpy gave red state like NCs only a tiny fraction of the federal aid they requested after they got wrecked in that hurricane this year.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

What's with the New California tent?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Gibbering posted:

What's with the New California tent?

It's a split California into multiple states/let us make a new chud state organization

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I was with the president of Finland and he said, 'We have a much different-we're a forest nation.' He called it a forest nation, and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things," Trump continued. "And they don't have any problem."

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i wonder how finland could have fewer fires than california? must be because they are a gnome people, constantly raking their forests

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They have more respect for the forest, their gnomish elders turn into trees after their deaths.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
I thought California was gnome-friendly? What, with their anti-ferret laws and all...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mayor Dave posted:

It's a split California into multiple states/let us make a new chud state organization

id like to think having their lives destroyed by the fire would awaken the chuds to the reality of climate change and a new understanding that the refugees at the southern border are just like them but of course the camps will be hotbeds of right wing radicalization

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

how long until the cops start pulling that tent city down and assaulting the homeless people there

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fiend posted:

I thought California was gnome-friendly? What, with their anti-ferret laws and all...

Yeah, from my experience mustelids a nightmare for gnomes and leprachauns. Once I saw a stoat take out a whole hive. It was horrifying with blood and little hats and little shoes all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Epic High Five posted:

how long until the cops start pulling that tent city down and assaulting the homeless people there

Last weekend, Walmart was kicking out one shelters from their parking lot because they wanted their parking back