Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesshan
Jan 29, 2010

Ville Valo posted:

So I picked up a Poke Ball Plus tonight for the Mew, but now that I have it selected as a controller I can't hit "Y" for options to select my regular controls again. What gives? :confused:

I'm not playing ATM so I can't verify, but I'm pretty sure shaking the controller counts as pressing Y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Partway through Pewter City, I have to say, I'm enjoying it but one of the changes I do NOT appreciate is the fact that they decided to have the "rival" be a super nice guy who shows up to hang out with you, gives you advice, and is very complimentary and humble. What's the point of this? He's not even your "rival" anymore, just a very friendly guy who occasionally says "Let's have a battle because it is mutually beneficial for both of us!"

When I walked into Pewter City, he showed up just to randomly give me some items and told me he used some of the money he earned to buy items to give to me as a gift. WTF? I don't want this. Give me back the arrogant douchebag who says "Smell ya later" so I can feel vindicated when I beat his rear end.

Or maybe they just did it to mess with the player's minds and make them feel bad? Like "Hey, you decided to name this guy Dickweed, huh? Well, now the guy you called 'Dickweed' is going to show up and tell you what a great job you're doing and then reveal that he's been spending a portion of his meager earnings on gifts for you"

Hopefully this is just setting up a massive heel turn/reveal when you take him on as the final boss battle but I highly doubt it given the kid friendly nature of this game.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bbf2 posted:

Partway through Pewter City, I have to say, I'm enjoying it but one of the changes I do NOT appreciate is the fact that they decided to have the "rival" be a super nice guy who shows up to hang out with you, gives you advice, and is very complimentary and humble. What's the point of this? He's not even your "rival" anymore, just a very friendly guy who occasionally says "Let's have a battle because it is mutually beneficial for both of us!"

When I walked into Pewter City, he showed up just to randomly give me some items and told me he used some of the money he earned to buy items to give to me as a gift. WTF? I don't want this. Give me back the arrogant douchebag who says "Smell ya later" so I can feel vindicated when I beat his rear end.

Or maybe they just did it to mess with the player's minds and make them feel bad? Like "Hey, you decided to name this guy Dickweed, huh? Well, now the guy you called 'Dickweed' is going to show up and tell you what a great job you're doing and then reveal that he's been spending a portion of his meager earnings on gifts for you"

Hopefully this is just setting up a massive heel turn/reveal when you take him on as the final boss battle but I highly doubt it given the kid friendly nature of this game.

Sadly your "rival" has mostly been A Nice Dweeby Looser since about the time of R/S/E. Gladion in SuMo came a little bit closer to being a jerkass rival like in G1/G2 but he is also a whiny too-edgy-for-you little baby with a stupid haircut.

To be fair, even by G2 Blue had grown out of being a jerk and was proper friends with Red. By G7 they are on holiday in Alola together beating on nerds together and are bros for life.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Sadly your "rival" has mostly been A Nice Dweeby Looser since about the time of R/S/E. Gladion in SuMo came a little bit closer to being a jerkass rival like in G1/G2 but he is also a whiny too-edgy-for-you little baby with a stupid haircut.

alright, you're outta here

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

To be fair, even by G2 Blue had grown out of being a jerk and was proper friends with Red. By G7 they are on holiday in Alola together beating on nerds together and are bros for life.

Yeah I only played the first two generations, that's disappointing to hear.

I really liked how the second generation doubled down on the rival being a dick, if I remember correctly wasn't he an actual thief who got his starter Pokemon through a straight up B&E? (I only played through that one once unlike the first gen which I played and revisited repeatedly as a kid). Very bummed to learn that they completely reversed course.

Also holy poo poo I just beat Brock and the REAL Blue just showed up. He said "Smell you later" which is great but he also gave me some quality items for no reason?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bbf2 posted:

Yeah I only played the first two generations, that's disappointing to hear.

I really liked how the second generation doubled down on the rival being a dick, if I remember correctly wasn't he an actual thief who got his starter Pokemon through a straight up B&E? (I only played through that one once unlike the first gen which I played and revisited repeatedly as a kid). Very bummed to learn that they completely reversed course.

Also holy poo poo I just beat Brock and the REAL Blue just showed up. He said "Smell you later" which is great but he also gave me some quality items for no reason?

That's right re Silver. He also ended up being Giovanni's son (spoilers for games from over a decade ago). In some canons he did also become a nice guy, can't remember exactly what happened in HG/SS (though even by the end of G/S/C he's coming around to the idea of maybe being nice to your Pokemon, if only because it seems to make you more likely to win battles).

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

(though even by the end of G/S/C he's coming around to the idea of maybe being nice to your Pokemon, if only because it seems to make you more likely to win battles).
In a very show not tell nature, they use the need of a high level of trainer-pokemon friendship for his Golbat to have evolved into a Crobat. He's more than coming around to the idea.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

early thoughts about Let's Go:

* I have slept on Eevee's adorable-ness for years, that thing is cute as a drat button.
* I clearly enjoy the catching in this game
because I've gotten a bunch of 10-chains, multiple Chanseys and multiple of two of the three starters, and just sent about 80 pokemon to Oak the moment I could check my stats upon arriving to Vermillion City.
* If you catch as many pokemon as I do you basically break the early game. My Eevee was about 10 levels over the first couple of gyms and pretty much any trainer I've faced so far goes down to a single Take Down (except the flying/water types, which are subjected to Buzzy Buzz). There's also no real reason to use other pokemon in battle because of the EXP share, and i'm glad each battle gives you some free Pokeballs because otherwise battling as a whole would be worthless. After lots of gens where battles are the primary way you're gonna level up (aside from the occasional Audino/Chansey EXP piñata) this is a huge swing and I'm not sure how I feel about it (i think if what battles there were were harder I might like it more)
*I'm also force-feeding my pupper candies at the expense of everyone else because I'm just trying to fill out the Pokedex and evolving everyone quickly then moving on to the next. It actually kinda reminds me of when I first played Red/Blue as a kid and had a massively overleveled Charizard (except this time my move-set will definitely not consist of Fire Spin, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Dig)
*Game looks good. I wish the animations were a bit more varied but the 'mons themselves and the environments look beautiful. Exactly what I imagined a full console version of RBY would look like.
*HOT TAKE ALERT: Everyone complaining about the single joy con controls is a dummy. Why do you need a pro or a two joycon controller for this game, all of the buttons you need are on one joycon and you can hold onto that controller and play the game while doing other poo poo too.
*on the other hand: complaining about the motion controls part is legit. I still can't get the hang of when throwing balls results in an Excellent or a Great vs. when the circle is the right size for one of those, but no message pops up. Also I can't tell if you're not supposed to throw any direction other than straight because any time my balls have gone in any direction it's to show that it was a miss, but some pokemon drift to the left/right (gently caress you Chansey/Clefairy) and I assume you're supposed to just wait until they're right in front of you to throw but I don't actually know that for sure.
*I wasted a bunch of berries feeding them to my Eevee and am regretting it now, I hope there's an easy way to get more later. (i mean "wasted" is the wrong word because she was so happy eating them but I wish I had more to use for catching things)
*I've never played the phone game before and I told myself I wasn't gonna start now but I'm starting to waffle on that promise. We'll see if this holds up and I need something to tide me over once I finish the main-game.

Overall it's about what I expected. Not my favorite Pokemon game ever, definitely on the very easy side of things difficulty-wise, but still Pokemon, still charming, and overall feels like a very good prototype for what is going to come next. I cannot wait to see what a whole new game/generation of Pokemon looks like on the Switch, and until then I have my little dog-buddy to hang out with.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

*HOT TAKE ALERT: Everyone complaining about the single joy con controls is a dummy. Why do you need a pro or a two joycon controller for this game, all of the buttons you need are on one joycon and you can hold onto that controller and play the game while doing other poo poo too.

because it's more comfortable

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

*on the other hand: complaining about the motion controls part is legit. I still can't get the hang of when throwing balls results in an Excellent or a Great vs. when the circle is the right size for one of those, but no message pops up. Also I can't tell if you're not supposed to throw any direction other than straight because any time my balls have gone in any direction it's to show that it was a miss, but some pokemon drift to the left/right (gently caress you Chansey/Clefairy) and I assume you're supposed to just wait until they're right in front of you to throw but I don't actually know that for sure.

If it's exactly like Go, you get Excellent if you throw the ball dead on center, Great is slightly off center and Nice is still center but more off than Great. The difference between the three is pretty miniscule, plus they don't affect capture chance (in the mobile game). You also get a "Great" if you hit the mon when the colored circle is exactly the same size as the white circle.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I can't help but catch every Ekans I see. I love that little noodle noodling through the grass. I must have it!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Single Joy-con became a lot more comfortable once I figured out the shoulder buttons do the same thing as A.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kesshan posted:

I'm not playing ATM so I can't verify, but I'm pretty sure shaking the controller counts as pressing Y.

Yep yep it's this. Although, I should say that I haven't been able to get Y to work by shaking in the context of the 'Info' menu during battle

The only downside about the Pokeball is no screenshot or home screen button; i'm liking using it a lot

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Used the pokeball to take my extra Pikachu to work with me, and he gained 12,000 odd exp from around 21,000 steps. Today, I’ll see what sort of gains my Charmander can get.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah gently caress I just verified it and sure enough Growlithe is a pikachu exclusive. Would someone here please trade me one?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I work with a charity group called Moblins for Matt, and In about two hours we'll be kicking off a 36-ish hour Pokémon streaming event benefitting The Seeing Eye, an organization dedicated to helping blind individuals get service dogs. So if you like Pokémon, dogs, or charity, please check us out at moblinsformatt.org or twitch.tv/moblinsformatt starting at 10am central time

We will be playing some Let's Go, as well as older titles like Stadium and Snap.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does anyone know why my Pokeball Plus doesn't make any noise when I take my Pokemon for a stroll?

idgi

bowmore posted:

gotta use the right joycon

Wait you're meant to use the right joycon together with the Pokeball plus?..

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ah gently caress I just verified it and sure enough Growlithe is a pikachu exclusive. Would someone here please trade me one?

You can still get Arcanine even if it's not his version, just go to Vermilion's fan club and do what you're told.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

bowmore posted:

gotta use the right joycon

What if I want to use the left joycon?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'll trade one for a Meowth. My FC is SW-2141-7039-8040.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

robot roll call posted:

I'll trade one for a Meowth. My FC is SW-2141-7039-8040.

Your FC appears to be wrong but I don’t think we even need to be friends to trade. I just set up a link trade (eevee - jigglypuff - eevee) you should be able to join and I got a Meowth for ya.

Edit: looks like it times out after a few minutes so we can figure out a time to trade later.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 17, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I am hoping that 2019 pokemon is more difficult as a result of them creating a game targeted specifically at casuals

I'd be so pumped for a region where doubles battles are mainstream, for instance

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

To be fair, even by G2 Blue had grown out of being a jerk and was proper friends with Red. By G7 they are on holiday their honeymoon in Alola together beating on nerds together and are bros for life.

:colbert:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
lmao i put my level 16 pikachu into the pokeball plus and went and did a single lap at the park playing pokemon go, took the pikachu out in let's go and she gained 5 levels to 21

i still haven't even gone into mt moon

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So breeding isn't a thing in this game right?

can someone explain how the version exclusives work then. can you only get the alolan sandshrew trade in Lets Go Pikachu, or can you trade for it in Eevee if you have a sandshrew?

I want to get eevee because of, well, Eevee and Alolan Ninetales is my big strong friend, but I don't think I can go through a gen 1 game without at least one growlithe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DC Murderverse posted:

I don't like it because I'm so used to playing games the normal way, buttons with the right hand, movement with the left. Doing one of those with the other feels bad and clunky. Doing movement with my right hand on the joystick feels super off the same way drawing with my left hand does. Hitting buttons with the left hand feels kind of clunky and I don't like it. I'd rather just use both at once, there's no good reason to not let you use both. I'm sticking to holding the joycon in my left hand, but I'm switching it over to my right when throwing Pokeballs, and I wish I could just have both controllers so I don't have to switch.

There's a ton of stuff I'd like them to bring from this over to the next main series game, the way the controller works isn't one of the.

Also is the Pokeball thing the only way to get Mew? :( I want a Mew but I don't want to spend the money on the Pokeball

Also if you want a Pokemon following you around but you don't want it in the party (for those of you that don't want to have legendaries in your party for example) they will stick around if they're already outside the ball if you move them from the party to the pokemon box.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

I am hoping that 2019 pokemon is more difficult as a result of them creating a game targeted specifically at casuals

I'd be so pumped for a region where doubles battles are mainstream, for instance

we already went to pokemon arizona tho

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looking forward to the Let's Go Revision release in 6 months that just swaps out Go mechanics for Normal battle system :v:
(Please do this Nintendo, even though I love Go)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Also is the Pokeball thing the only way to get Mew? :( I want a Mew but I don't want to spend the money on the Pokeball

i def read you could catch mew in the postgame but ya know, i have no like, evidence or anything

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hey I got Let's Go Eevee but i found out that Mankey is a Pikachu exclusive. Can anyone trade me a Mankey to use? Primeape is one of my favorites. If you can get me one with a +attack or +speed nature that would be awesome. I'm right around Mt. Moon right now so I can get an Eevee exclusive like Bellsprout or Ekans in return

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Infinitum posted:

Looking forward to the Let's Go Revision release in 6 months that just swaps out Go mechanics for Normal battle system :v:
(Please do this Nintendo, even though I love Go)

Fwiw I love the new system way more than the battle capture way

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah gently caress battle capture, this is the new way forward

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can you stop Pokemon from evolving in this game? I want to be ready for when the game tries to force a Golduck on my perfect and handsome Psyduck

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bowmore posted:

yeah gently caress battle capture, this is the new way forward

And I thought my posts were bad

(I'd like the option to chose between either)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Infinitum posted:

And I thought my posts were bad

(I'd like the option to chose between either)

This way of capturing feels too unreliable compared to simply weakening a Pokemon and capturing it. On top of the motion controls being clunky. It's fine for this side game, I do not want it in the next mainline game. I'd be fine if it was an option for those that do want it of course

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I also don't like that the way of 'grinding' levels is to basically just keep capturing more Pokemon.
I don't need a box full of zubats

I'd rather just murder the zubats

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Whatever you think of the capture method, being able to see the pokemon on the map is way better than random battles.

This way it's also easier to keep your level down so you don't steamroll everything

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Infinitum posted:

I also don't like that the way of 'grinding' levels is to basically just keep capturing more Pokemon.

id be much less happy with it if you didnt get rewards from oak for giving him a bunch

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Andrast posted:

Whatever you think of the capture method, being able to see the pokemon on the map is way better than random battles.

This way it's also easier to keep your level down so you don't steamroll everything

This I agree with.

Keep the Catch Combo system in as well, but have it as the Battle Combo System if they do a Battle version of Let's Go (And on future systems)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Infinitum posted:

my dude you catch them and then send them en masse to be ground into candy to make your real pokefriends stronger