Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be fair, it seems like he understands how hosed up the power is and doesn't like to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's basically Good Friendship Instigator and the only thing he ever consciously uses the effect for is to try to not get beat up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Like I think it's completely fair to be skeptical, but it really isn't skeevy literally at all.

yea there's more skeevy stuff in we never learn than rokudou in spite of the premise. there's no typical harem setups for fan service and he never takes advantage of the magic

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Its an almost completely inoffensive manga. Theres a part in the 5 sisters harem manga where the protag gets sick and hes lying in bed unconscious and all the sisters surround him and desperately pray that he'll get better because their lives completely revolve around him even though theyve known him for like 2 weeks and thats way weirder than anything in rokudou

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

We Never Learn time.

As the weeks go by my support for Rizu seems more and more pointless :negative:

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

It got a bit awkward there early on with Osanada(the small girl) but it immediately backed off after her arc was resolved. Also Rokudou would be unreadable if he was written as someone who would use the power to his advantage, so I'm really glad that it doesn't because I enjoy reading it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

We Never Learn time.

As the weeks go by my support for Rizu seems more and more pointless :negative:

Hold on man, I got your back.

A really sweet chapter.

Also worst dad remains worst dad. However it is nice that he now appreciates her resolve but just doesn't want a talent to go unused and thus remains worst dad.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, they're going to have it resolve with him not at the very least getting poo poo kicked in like Endevor is, I'm going to hate it and I'm going to stop reading this comic.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 17, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
A harem series having bad relationships? I'm shocked

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

A harem series having bad relationships? I'm shocked
open your heart and let the harem in

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're bad and frequently feature children :chloe:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, they're going to have it resolve with him not at the very least getting poo poo kicked in like Endevor is, I'm going to hate it and I'm going to stop reading this comic.

I'm genuinely curious. Why are you so against people taking steps to fix a broken relationship?
Like wouldn't the end game of Fumino patching things up with her father, and getting his support be an overall better solution then yelling gently caress you dad and walking out of his life?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

they're bad and frequently feature children :chloe:
what about the ones that don't tho

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mulderman posted:

I'm genuinely curious. Why are you so against people taking steps to fix a broken relationship?
Like wouldn't the end game of Fumino patching things up with her father, and getting his support be an overall better solution then yelling gently caress you dad and walking out of his life?
Abusive Manga Dads are, fairly frequently, handled incredibly poorly, so I feel it's less that Conan (whom I vaguely remember posting about Nisekoi itvt or the Nisekoi one) is planting his feet down and covering his ears screaming ":byodood: LA LA LA LA, I CAN'T loving HEAR YOU!" and more on the fact that, y'know, abusive parents as shown on manga, especially WSJ, don't really have the best track record and either have a poorly handled redemption character arc or just straight up don't have one.

Hell, if I don't misremember, Endeavor, Azami (Erina's dad in Shokugeki no Soma) and Marika's mom in Nisekoi all made their first appearances at around the same time. The arc surrounding Marika and her family, in particular, was so poorly paced, longer than needed and just plain god-awful enough that I basically stopped following Nisekoi weekly and just decided to check up on it monthly, despite my earlier mentions of its fantastic reaction faces. With Nisekoi it was even more annoying because parental figures had all been, while not without their faults or stupid tropey bs, fairly likeable.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dexo posted:

I dunno most Harem protags, either intentionally or unintentionally are assholes.
Your typical harem protag seems to run the spectrum between complete losers to the assholes. . Guys who can't take care of themselves and it eventually becomes the duty of his harem to egg him on and spice up his life. I remember getting introduced to Shuffle and the MC couldn't even cook for himself, that's not even uncommon for Harem protags. Who reaches high school age and can't work a stove and a chopping block at the very least? On the opposite side, and probably the more extreme example, is your school Days protag who just starts using his group for personal pleasure (and it end with a nice boat ride). Love Hina sits somewhere towards the middle, MC had a goal but was just bad at it, but he doesn't add a whole lot to the lives of the girls he's surrounded by outside of being the macguffin.

Then you get the Jitsu Wa's and that's where harem series actually shine. Because the protagonist is proactive and supportive, not just a doormat or Kewpie doll to be won. And also because the story doesn't linger on forcing everyone to keep fighting over him and it's a great example of why authors need to make sure to have a developed side cast. Because they can be just as interesting, if not moreso, than the protagonist. But also because you can more effectively tell different stories when you use different people, instead of trying to cram one guy to fill every role. Which also led to One of the best arcs for a side character where the christmas cake finally got her night on a white horse. Now that I think about it, monster girls and harems tend to be a good combination. If you consider Interview with Monster Girls to be a Harem despite the lack of any real romance, and the MC from MonMusu is pretty decent as well despite also being equally generic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yuiga is meek, polite and supportive of his friends. he's not the most complex character, but he's not a loathsome blank like most harem manga protagonists.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

halleys comet posted:

Its true that its the first manga to feature a moe loan shark which i think is a concept with a lot of potential. If any mangaka reading this is interested in making a romcom where a gal teases a shy loner by breaking his kneecaps when he cant keep up with exorbitant interest rates pm me for more ideas.

First moe *girl* loan shark, maybe. If you think Endou isn't moe, you're clearly wrong :colbert:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yuiga is meek, polite and supportive of his friends. he's not the most complex character, but he's not a loathsome blank like most harem manga protagonists.

Yuiga is very good boy. He's also a freaking wuss and I love that. Like moments where a bra falls on his head or medicine is applied to his foot, he's just screeching like a little girl. It's different but it certainly helps him to stand out.
I also like how he has his own agency in the story and his final goal is not, which girl will he end up with.

He's also more moe than all the girls in his series combined.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

A man murdered on his wedding day was revived because his wife spent the remainder of her life going on a big adventure to gather the magic ingredients she needed to do a dark ritual to bring him back, and now hes going on the same journey to revive her

and it snaps between the two of their perspectives in time and the art design and creatures are gorgeous and its just got a relentless pace and revels in joy and it rules, its not generic at all.

Thats Marry Grave.

I just tried to read this based entirely on this description and that two-page spread with various bizzare monsters that was posted earlier and I'm glad I did, becouse it's really, REALLY good. Anyone know, which magazine runs this and how popular it is? I never heard of Marry Grave before this thread, so it would be shame if it was unpopular and got cancelled or something.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 19, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

I just tried to read this based entirely on this description and that two-page spread with various bizzare monsters that was posted earlier and I'm glad I did, becouse it's really, REALLY good. Anyone know, which magazine runs this and how popular it is? I never heard of Marry Grave before this thread, so it would be shame if it was unpopular and got cancelled or something.

Its in weekly shonen sunday, the 3rd largest of the main shonen mags. Its also mostly new so I have no clue what the popularity level is, we're caught up with it already.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

I did the same and binged through it. It is magnificent. The relations are cute and funny, the monsters gruesome, the fights gruesome, the backgrond touching and the art is clean and easy to follow. I'm a little annoyed at how much flashback we're having now, but considering everything else I keep expecting some more odd background to pop up from this.

I also can't wait for the next chapter where Riseman gets mangled.

I hope we meet Dante again.

Long story short, I;m loving it. Thanks for posting.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You're welcome :D

It's good to see people like it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There is also a new chapter of Marry Grave

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is all rounder meguru still being made? I vaguely remember a post saying it got cancelled

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It had like 19 volumes so I think it was probably more that it ended rather than that it was canceled

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It was finished from what I'd heard. Although I think translations stopped when the official releases started to come out. The author is working on periodic table vampires now.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Its in weekly shonen sunday, the 3rd largest of the main shonen mags. Its also mostly new so I have no clue what the popularity level is, we're caught up with it already.

Oh good, I didn't even know if it was weekly or monthly that flew REALLY under the radar. Hopefully it will end up successful enough to get like 100 more chapter and an anime.

HenryEx posted:

You're welcome :D

It's good to see people like it.

Yep, thanks for posting this. I binged it in one go and it immediately shot up among my most favorite shonens.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Brought To You By posted:

It was finished from what I'd heard. Although I think translations stopped when the official releases started to come out. The author is working on periodic table vampires now.

That actually sounds like an interesting concept. What's the series?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
All Rounder Meguru actually had a very good ending imo (I've read the official Italian translation). It wraps things up pretty well and in a satisfying way.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Nagatoro-san

I mean, I guess Senpai sort-of had a spine there, but he would have had to actually kiss her to get actual credit.

The Lies of the Sheriff Evans: Dead Or Love

Oakley drank the potion because she was thirsty. *cough*

Also lol @ the snake oil salesman being almost exactly Nigel West Dickens.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

There is also a new chapter of Marry Grave

Man that monster at the end has a real colgate smile going on. He's loving this poo poo

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

That actually sounds like an interesting concept. What's the series?

Soft Metal Vampire. Going off the only description I've found and the raws; the story is about a girl who gets inadvertently pulled into a war between pure blooded vampires, a PMC headed by a group of Dhampirs, and werewolves. And all the vampires/Dhampires are periodic table elemental benders like in Seikon no Qwaser, but are just blood suckers not breast milk suckers. The main Heroine may have some significance due to her family, but overall the story focuses on the Dhampir group that takes her in after her classroom is attacked.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Oh, that's what that means. See, I thought it was something like they suck out a specific element out of a person (like say carbon) instead of blood and I was curious what that would be like.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Oh, that's what that means. See, I thought it was something like they suck out a specific element out of a person (like say carbon) instead of blood and I was curious what that would be like.
"I vant to suck your radium!"

"No? None?"

"Vell, l'll keep looking, thanks."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
2 new space tales.

He made their clothes melt...I think I'm going to keep reading this until it hurts too much. I need to see the depths of his depravity

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The whole furniture thing was supposed to be horrifying but I kept remembering a crazy fetishist from an F Plus episode who wanted to roleplay that exact thing, so I couldn't stop laughing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
New Marry Grave

Everyone who guessed that the armored grinning monster is actually that psycho knight from Order of the Graves, good work!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

New Marry Grave

Everyone who guessed that the armored grinning monster is actually that psycho knight from Order of the Graves, good work!

I did not see this coming. :suspense:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

2 new space tales.

He made their clothes melt...I think I'm going to keep reading this until it hurts too much. I need to see the depths of his depravity

The next chapter is titled: "The naked escape plan" so we're on the highway to smut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New Gotoubun

Five Itsukis, Jesus Christ. Although LOL at Fuutarou just casually calling their dad "Dad".

Nino clawing her way up the rankings by sheer aggressiveness.