Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

Was the camo pattern on the Soviet MI-24 Hind standardized?

I doubt that all however-many-thousand built were standardized, but within a unit it looks like they would have followed similar patterns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I've finished a bunch of poo poo for operation Martlet

Friday will kick off the first game. I'll adjudicate or jump in as the Germans in case one of the players has to leave early.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Fish and Chimps posted:

I've finished a bunch of poo poo for operation Martlet

You monster!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Before you drag me before an international court in the Hague, we play it as unable to fire at tanks and it has to spend an activation to reload.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Firepower: remove target unit

Warlord is starting their Black Friday sale, some tanks and sprues are 50% off. But they seem to do that annoying "let's chang what's on sale as the week progresses so that you can't plan your purchases" thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also all the Italian stuff is already sold out... did everyone suddenly decide to do Italians at the same time as me?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Warlord are being complete assholes and having a 50% off tanks sale

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Warlord are being complete assholes and having a 50% off tanks sale
Dammit. I guess I'm getting more tanks. :mad:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
So glad Warlord are the wrong scale for me. My hobby budget for November has come and gone already

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm seriously considering spending the £20 for a subscription to https://ncap.org.uk to get hi-res air recon photos for CoC-campaigns. Am I about to grog out beyond hope?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That depends on whether or not you're planning to print the screencaps onto canvas.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

That depends on whether or not you're planning to print the screencaps onto canvas.

I'm safe!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Go with mouse pad material, they're really nice.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like one hell of a terrain project

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Guys, I know Lindybeige is an idiot, but what do you guys think of Crossfire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO81x71xaqk

Apparently there's a TTS mod for it!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

what on earth is Warlord going for with this rolling sale thing? to make sure they have to pack as many separate packages as possible?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I was wondering the same thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's annoying. I passed on the tank I wanted because shipping ate the discount, but if more had been on sale at the time it would have been worth it.

Also I finally got to paint the new Battlefront bendy-men, and they're not as bad as I was anticipating. One thing that's Real Nice is how they're all attached base-side to the sprue. Another is that the weapons are much more uniform than they used to be, and are held in more durable close-body poses.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Battlefront's bendymen have improved markedly - Their cold war Soviet infantry are ham-fisted monsters, but their WW2 infantry are okay. However, the nature of the material is that any model that has a long gun (like, say, WW2 riflemen...) will be awful, because the barrels will get floppy and bent.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Geisladisk posted:

the barrels will get floppy and bent.

But enough about Historicals players being an older crowd

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Guys, I know Lindybeige is an idiot, but what do you guys think of Crossfire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO81x71xaqk

Apparently there's a TTS mod for it!
I never got to play it, but I have friends who used to swear by it. They moved on to various other games over the years and never went back though. CoC is the next thing.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

It's annoying. I passed on the tank I wanted because shipping ate the discount, but if more had been on sale at the time it would have been worth it.

Also I finally got to paint the new Battlefront bendy-men, and they're not as bad as I was anticipating. One thing that's Real Nice is how they're all attached base-side to the sprue. Another is that the weapons are much more uniform than they used to be, and are held in more durable close-body poses.

Yeah I'd probably pick up a char bis from the previous "round", but then I'd have to pay for international shipping so it wouldn't have been worth it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

moths posted:

I strongly suspect that Black Friday is going to be all their rolling sales combined and they are trying to use FOMO to generate some sales prior to that

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Class Warcraft posted:

what on earth is Warlord going for with this rolling sale thing? to make sure they have to pack as many separate packages as possible?

Yesterday: Hm, maybe I should buy that JS-II. drat, shipping is going to take my savings - I'll hold off.

Today: Hm, maybe I should buy get that Gaz truck. drat, shipping is going to take my savings - I'll hold off.

Tomorrow: Hm, maybe I should buy get that (Soviet thing). drat, shipping is going to take my savings - I'll hold off.

But if they'd all been on sale at once I would have combined the orders, got free shipping, and bought them all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Now on Friday you will definitely get them all though :v:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Fish and Chimps posted:

Btw. Holy poo poo Lardy Rich is thin-skinned when it comes to criticism of the CoC rules. He gets very huffy when you mention you'd like a 2nd ed. that polishes the rules a but.

I met this guy at Salute a couple of years back and thought he was a massive arsehole.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Has anyone bought anything from Skytrex lately? I ordered some stuff this last weekend, but haven't gotten an order confirmation yet. I haven't bought from them since 2014, so a lot can have changed since then.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I was talking to my Dad recently about miniature gaming. I play and paint GW miniature games primarily (don't hate me) and he told me about when he used to build and paint WW2 tanks when he was a kid. Particularly a cool story about how he built a tank with a mine flail. Now that he's retired I'm trying to find him a WW2 tank with a mine flail that he can put together in his spare time. 1/35 or 1/48 scale I guess? I don't really know where to look or what's available. I believe the Sherman tank used to have a "crab" flail. Can such a thing be purchased as a model kit? Other tanks with mine flails could also work.

Thanks for the help!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Rhaegar posted:

I was talking to my Dad recently about miniature gaming. I play and paint GW miniature games primarily (don't hate me) and he told me about when he used to build and paint WW2 tanks when he was a kid. Particularly a cool story about how he built a tank with a mine flail. Now that he's retired I'm trying to find him a WW2 tank with a mine flail that he can put together in his spare time. 1/35 or 1/48 scale I guess? I don't really know where to look or what's available. I believe the Sherman tank used to have a "crab" flail. Can such a thing be purchased as a model kit? Other tanks with mine flails could also work.

Thanks for the help!

You know, I know of plenty of Shermans in 1/48, but I don't think I've ever seen one with the Crab Flail. A bit of googling hasn't turned up anything. Weird.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I found this https://www.thewarstore.com/Battlefront-Flames-of-War-Sherman-Crab-Flail.html but I can't really tell how big it is. It looks small.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Thats 15mm so around 1/100 scale. So yeah it’s pretty small.

i see a conversion kit with some quick googling.

There’s also the Grant or Matilda Scorpion if you’re fine with a Brit tank.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'd get a 1/35 or 1/48 scale tank if I'm not building for a game. They look much nicer as display kits, IMHO.

The Crab version of the Sherman is often built by getting a Sherman kit, and then a Crab conversion kit. The only one I could find that comes as a complete kit is an airfix 1/76, and your dad probably deserves better.

Examples:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/48/crab48sz_1.html

This 1/35 conversion kit looks boss:

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf1139-sherman-crab-conversion-set/?ckattempt=1

It's specifically made for a Dragon Sherman kit though, and Dragon are famous for being nice looking but demanding kits.

Scalemates is the "IMDB of model kits", so I'd start by searching for crabs there, and then google the kit name to find a retailer.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=All&q=%22crab%22

There's a model kit thread that can help you out even more. Be warned that conversion kits with lots of etched brass parts are kind of the deep end when it comes to modeling, but if he has some experience and time, it's a perfect time sink.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 21, 2018

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Fish and Chimps posted:

Has anyone bought anything from Skytrex lately? I ordered some stuff this last weekend, but haven't gotten an order confirmation yet. I haven't bought from them since 2014, so a lot can have changed since then.

I bought some stuff back in late 2016. Never got a confirmation either but about two weeks later everything showed up at my door.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Fish and Chimps posted:

I bought some stuff a month or three ago, can confirm the spotty feedback. My stuff just showed up in the mail one day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rhaegar posted:

Thanks for the help!
There's a lot of poster overlap for obvious reasons, but the thread that might get you slightly better results is this one.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the feedback on Skytrex. I got a reply an hour after I mailed them, where they stated they sent two auto generated order confirmations that I never received. But the goods are on the way.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Oh God, the Churchills and Fireflies are on sale today, God no please, I can't do it

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Finally a good sale from Warlord!
One Stuart for Lend-Lease
One Stuart for the Pacific
One Churchill AVRE, just because I have to have one
One Churchill for Lend-Lease
One T34/85, so I'll have one of we ever leave 1941. Also for WaT
One tank crew for free shipping

I had to do it all by myself, betrayed by my club mates. Not even lilljonas would contribute to make sure I made a bad financial decision

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks for the help on the Sherman crab. That scalemates site is very useful. I think I might just go with a basic Sherman or Cromwell Tamiya kit since this would be his first model in many many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Warlords sales are pretty good today. I was mighty tempted to grab some Test of Honor stuff, but I opted for a T-34 instead.