Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I feel like I'm the last person in the country who has zero interest in getting a tattoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tattoos suck. A lot of my friends in college got them, and every single one of them regrets it 10 years later (although a few like to pretend otherwise).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

I feel like I'm the last person in the country who has zero interest in getting a tattoo.

You’re not. I’m occasionally tempted to get them, but then think about it for more than five seconds and realize that any idea I’d have for one would seem like a bad idea very soon afterwards.

It helps when they’re basically quoting the vast majority of the country verbatim.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1063444553485729792

quote:

Incoming chairmen say they want to address climate change, but they are bristling at the tactics of Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and other newly elected Democrats who say the party needs to come up with a "Green New Deal" that would decarbonize the economy within a decade.

“The idea that in five years or 10 years we’re not going to consume any more fossil fuels is technologically impossible,” Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.), whose in line to lead the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, told POLITICO. “We can have grand goals but let’s be realistic about how we get there.”

the dems are going to sit back and let us die

https://twitter.com/OilChangeUS/status/1063550979931602944

DeFazio sold our future away for a mere $74k

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Majorian posted:

You’re not. I’m occasionally tempted to get them, but then think about it for more than five seconds and realize that any idea I’d have for one would seem like a bad idea very soon afterwards.

Pretty much, and I'd probably spend days on end just figuring out what I want in the first place.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/OilChangeUS/status/1063550979931602944

DeFazio sold our future away for a mere $74k

quote:

Pallone said he shares the goals of groups anxious for aggressive action but called for regular order to develop a bipartisan response.

Okay, that is bull. A bipartisan response to climate change is impossible since the leaders of one party don't even believe in it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lycus posted:

Okay, that is bull. A bipartisan response to climate change is impossible since the leaders of one party don't even believe in it.

well, and the idea that it's "technologically impossible" for us to practically stop fossil fuel consumption in 10 years is bullshit too. it'll be very very hard, and a lot of work, but with the way things are going, it's a requirement. we had 30+ years to take the slow and easy route and wean ourselves off coal and oil, and we continually fumbled our chances and undermined them (via globalization for one, which is sacrosanct for dems).

climate scientists have said we have a very very small window left to us to avoid the worst of climate change, and that it will take an unprecedented effort to avoid. and these guys are now trying to put us on a track we should've been on 10-20 years ago, not the one we need to be on NOW.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Has Trump ever poo poo on George Conway on Twitter? I'm sure he's dying to, at least.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

Democrats to pursue bipartisan approach to people's faces being eaten by leopards.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1063593456579354624

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1063593459695669254

lol, meanwhile thousands of troops do jack poo poo and just rot sorta near the border because of trumps BIG CON. and will probably be there for months.

Thanks to all the dicks who kept reminding him that he hadn’t talked about the caravan in a while :argh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump talking about what a victory the midterms was for him makes me think of my fave dril:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?lang=en

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Condiv posted:

well, and the idea that it's "technologically impossible" for us to practically stop fossil fuel consumption in 10 years is bullshit too. it'll be very very hard, and a lot of work, but with the way things are going, it's a requirement. we had 30+ years to take the slow and easy route and wean ourselves off coal and oil, and we continually fumbled our chances and undermined them (via globalization for one, which is sacrosanct for dems).

climate scientists have said we have a very very small window left to us to avoid the worst of climate change, and that it will take an unprecedented effort to avoid. and these guys are now trying to put us on a track we should've been on 10-20 years ago, not the one we need to be on NOW.

It's not even that hard, just expensive. Immediately start building nuclear, wind, and solar plants and shutting down coal plants ASAP. It's a solved problem, we just need to loving execute on the solution.

E: Also, even as expensive as this plan is, it's still a dozen orders of magnitude cheaper than the wars that will be fought over immigration as people are forced to move out of now inhospitable climates.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 17, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wars make money for rich people so that's cool.

Watching all the "serious" people talk about how the only reasonable thing is to do nothing that will inconvenience a handful of executives is incredibly terrifying since they are willing to value a few new cars over knowing their children suffer. "Serious" politics has always been code for "gently caress you the elite need new ivory backscratchers" but with this incoming disaster it's even more clear. I hope AOC doesn't stop holding these assholes to the fire despite how many idiots cry about "disunity" or her lack or respect for her greedy elders.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CubanMissile posted:

Nope, same here. I have zero tats or piercings and I plan on keeping it that way. Tattoos have zero appeal to me.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Radish posted:

Wars make money for rich people so that's cool.

Watching all the "serious" people talk about how the only reasonable thing is to do nothing that will inconvenience a handful of executives is incredibly terrifying since they are willing to value a few new cars over knowing their children suffer. "Serious" politics has always been code for "gently caress you the elite need new ivory backscratchers" but with this incoming disaster it's even more clear. I hope AOC doesn't stop holding these assholes to the fire despite how many idiots cry about "disunity" or her lack or respect for her greedy elders.

I think we need to be precise here and recognize that wars, for this country, don't just make money for rich people, but for (disturbingly) significant slices of the American public. I'm not trying to deflect off of capital here, but if we are to even start approaching the real issue underlying this all we have to admit that DoD activity, especially on the procurement side spreads a lot of money around to locales that would otherwise have only modest economic activity going on otherwise. Like, if we were to scale back any of it in a meaningful way you'd have entire regions of entire states decimated in the process.

That's where we're at. That's where this capitalist setup has brought us. Legions of people doing work for doing work's sake with the explicit purpose of creating products and services that are employed to literally incinerate human beings miles away.

That is where we're at.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nine-gear crow posted:

They popped the cherry with "shithole countries", so we're well on the other side of that event horizon.

The reason event horizons are called event horizons is because no information will ever reach the other side. There is no way to see through it, there is no way to know anything about the other side.

We haven't crossed the shithole event horizon. We were already there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I think we need to be precise here and recognize that wars, for this country, don't just make money for rich people, but for (disturbingly) significant slices of the American public. I'm not trying to deflect off of capital here, but if we are to even start approaching the real issue underlying this all we have to admit that DoD activity, especially on the procurement side spreads a lot of money around to locales that would otherwise have only modest economic activity going on otherwise. Like, if we were to scale back any of it in a meaningful way you'd have entire regions of entire states decimated in the process.

That's where we're at. That's where this capitalist setup has brought us. Legions of people doing work for doing work's sake with the explicit purpose of creating products and services that are employed to literally incinerate human beings miles away.

That is where we're at.

Hideo Kojima was right.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hideo Kojima was right.

About a lot of things.

While wars make money for a lot of people they aren't the actual consideration. Those people could be moved to different industries since we basically finance the entire MIC and related private contractors anyway. It's the guys at the top that are being protected. Everything else is ancillary.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Nope, same here. I have zero tats or piercings and I plan on keeping it that way. Tattoos have zero appeal to me.

I have tattoos on my wrists and I forget they're even there like 89% of the time

I was a scene queen in highschool tho so tats will always be attractive to me 🤷🏾‍♀️

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Lol at people itt who think fully cutting all oil and natural gas across the US is at all feasible without a Khmer rouge level extermination

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Your Taint posted:

i feel so goony about it but same. if i ever got one i'd probably hate it years down the line.

Wilhelm posted:

Lol at people itt who think fully cutting all oil and natural gas across the US is at all feasible without a Khmer rouge level extermination

getting rid of coal would cost about 50 billion (how much it'd cost to buy up all the public and private companies). that's pennies for the government.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

Thanks to all the dicks who kept reminding him that he hadn’t talked about the caravan in a while :argh:

yea it owned when the lib media was all 'hey mr president what happened to all the racism huuuuuh???' just like when the congressional dnc sent out poo poo about trump that included 'and that lying puss hasn't even built his wall'.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1063758107229257728?s=21

I don’t get the strategy behind this.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

He must have just gotten off the phone with her. He'll be slamming her as soon as someone from his own party talks to him.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Trump to support primary challenges of all Republicans who refuse to vote for Nancy Pelosi.

If you ask him he'll say it's reverse psychology to splinter the Democrats. He's a tactical genius.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump thinks every time he loses it's a victory.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If this happened she would be a ridiculously weak Speaker who could be deposed any time Republicans wanted.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
First bash your brain in with a hammer and put bleach in the wound. Then you will understand

(He doesn't know either he's sundowning and on the shitter)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Wilhelm posted:

What level of extermination do you think is gonna happen if we do nothing about climate change and cook the planet?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

He must think that the challenge to Pelosi is from the left. He just wants to poo poo on her constantly with misogynistic bullshit.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

CubanMissile posted:

I do a mandatory 5 year wait on tattoo ideas. Nearly every one so far doesn't seem like a good idea after 5 years. I still don't have any.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Condiv posted:

vote blue no matter who you guys

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Ytlaya posted:

This is a good post, and basically the reason why I think it's extremely lovely when people get all irritated and condescending towards the left about what are essentially basic justice and human rights issues. It's the sort of situation where, even if those things aren't likely to happen in the near future, it's completely ridiculous to mock or betlittle someone demanding them and doesn't reflect well on the person doing so. I frequently draw an analogy to someone advocating for some other historical issue like civil rights* or women's suffrage, because it sheds light on how tone-deaf and inappropriate it is to tut-tut someone demanding those things (and, in my opinion, reveals that the person in question simply doesn't view contemporary justice issues as being as serious and important as they are).

* not that civil rights isn't also a contemporary issue, of course

I think what leads to a lot of the pushback on 'dems bad' chat is that a lot of progressives (and especially, in my experience, progressives who are working and volunteering politically as part of a candidate's team or a GOTY effort or involved in political activism) are rightfully dispirited or annoyed when they watch online discussions act as painfully cyclical, repetitive reminders of how left wing coalitions draw out every possible chronic infighting vulnerability we have in direct contrast to the structured behavioral advantages that right wing voters and politicians possess. Those right wing voters will primary to the right, they'll invest in their pet beliefs, they'll cotton to the hardliners, and always at the end of the day the vast vast majority will fall in line with whoever won the race to the primary torch, and I think many of us hate the inbuilt electoral advantages of the authoritarian mindsets enough without having to wade through x pages of leftists versus liberals and literally hundreds of posts seemingly stuck wallowing on things like this strangely right-seeded Pelosi torpor.

For my part, I just tend to find it boring, in the most straightforward sense. It does not interest me much anymore. I already get enough 'dems bad' from the right wing.

I also have a significant degree of annoyance towards it because I already have to spend enough of my life watching left wing movements I have/had spent my time and effort on do this until they ultimately schism down to the micro level over disagreements about whose Dems Bad take/policy is more woke, and this probably biases me a bit more towards boredom/annoyance at long sprees of dems bad arguments stretching out the pages before something new or possibly encouraging comes up about the political and social fight against conservatives and regressives.

Beyond my own particular baggage, though, it's a ratios and repetition of theme issue. This thread has already started to feel overtly ground down by it. I know why the pre-election crutch quarantine of dems bad chat absolutely had to end and agree with it overall, but yikes it's been a drag. I read a thread like this and start thinking "at this rate, it's only a matter of time before AOC is accused of being not left enough and we must spend pages to hear about her foul collaboration with Centrists" and then catching myself thinking that this is just me being unfair at a group of posters I'm wide-brushing, ... and then thinking: no, not really unfair, I'm worried about that because that will actually happen.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wilhelm posted:

We could continue paying everyone involved in the fossil fuel industry their current wages to stay home and watch TV, and build nuclear and renewable energy plants, and still come out way, way cheaper in both economic and human life costs than our current path.

I would not be surprised to see the US pulling out of the Paris accord referred to as the trigger for WW3. It's gonna be really bad in ways we can't even imagine.

It is somewhat relieving to hear a congress person (AOC) who actually seems to be taking this a tiny bit seriously. I just hope it's not too little, too late.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Skex posted:

Cite?

And I'm not talking about pre-college crap we know that she was raised Republican. Cause I find it hard to believe that a woman who made her name calling out incrementalists on civil rights, who worked on the Chicago Five's defense team is who you are describing.

she met bill crossing a picket line, and the telling protesters to sit down thing came from a lovely children's book someone wrote about her

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ColdPie posted:

We could continue paying everyone involved in the fossil fuel industry their current wages to stay home and watch TV, and build nuclear and renewable energy plants, and still come out way, way cheaper in both economic and human life costs than our current path.

I would not be surprised to see the US pulling out of the Paris accord referred to as the trigger for WW3. It's gonna be really bad in ways we can't even imagine.

It is somewhat relieving to hear a congress person (AOC) who actually seems to be taking this a tiny bit seriously. I just hope it's not too little, too late.

the Paris accord is toothless and always has been, there are no consequences for failing to meet it and basically every country has been completely ignoring it

the technology is there and it is possible to go 100% renewable, but the elites make a big frowny face if someone tries

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ColdPie posted:

Oh, it’s already too late. We’re pretty much hosed at this point and we’re going to suffer from some p serious changes to the earth because we ignored climate change for too long. The question is, how hosed do we want to be? If we work hard now, the future might just be terrible, and not hell on earth or extinction of humanity

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ummel posted:

I do a mandatory 5 year wait on tattoo ideas. Nearly every one so far doesn't seem like a good idea after 5 years. I still don't have any.

Mayflies do this too but their wait time is 2 hours.

Get tattoos is what I’m saying. Your body is one of billions that will eventually be turning into petroleum or dirt. Enjoy it as the completely interchangeable-made-unique thing it can be, and get an Arby’s logo tatted on that thing.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

ummel posted:

Today, the lourde harlem shake tattoo, bitstrips planking tattoo, and "grumpy cat does call me maybe" tattoo were brought up for review and rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

republican voters fall in line because they're unthinking fascists.