Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

Powerful people that often represent hedge funds or other large institutional shareholders so you're back to punishing people's 401ks.

lol what are you saying here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Most people don’t have a 401k.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zoran posted:

And almost no one has a 401k large enough to justify carrying water for capital.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

401k is a ruse to at once escape pension liabilities and at the same time tie retirements to the interests of capital.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

lol what are you saying here?

What the justice department actually believes

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
For people whose time horizon is long term the benefits would outweigh the short term risk. And for people whose time horizon is short enough to still be deep into equities but not long enough to weather a huge crash unscathed we could maybe, just maybe, bailout the average American and make them whole. Nahhhhhh that's preposterous better to just let criminals go free.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zoran posted:

My brother has a 401k. He works at a Wal-Mart at the customer service desk.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Raldikuk posted:

Nahhhhhh that's preposterous better to just let criminals go free*.

*offer only valid for the financial crimes of the rich. Skin color and/or lack of wealth invalidate this offer. Ask your lawyer if affleunza is right for you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Why would Katsas recuse himself from an en banc hearing that issued some (heretofore unpublished) mandate at the end of a months-long appeals process occurring in relation to a sealed v sealed grand jury subpoena/criminal case in the DC district court?

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
RBG fell and broke her ribs again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/ahoweblogger/status/1060533376732553224?s=21

Can we just bubble wrap this woman at all times please

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Goddamnit woman you have to stick around until 2021. Don't scare me like that.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Deuce posted:

Goddamnit woman you have to stick around until 2021. Don't scare me like that.

I’m sure she’ll bounce back easily.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
What's that thing called that they stuck Walt Disney in so that he can be pulled out once medical technology exists that can revive him? Lets stick her into one of those just to be safe.

Drone Jett posted:

Wonder how those Ginsburg health prayer circles are doing.

Way to tempt fate there buddy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

What's that thing called that they stuck Walt Disney in so that he can be pulled out once medical technology exists that can revive him? Lets stick her into one of those just to be safe.

Way to tempt fate there buddy.

An open grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgkXPbiup3o&t=54s

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://twitter.com/proudresister/status/1060781838644334592?s=21

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
It won't be. They're talking about a new born.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Imagine how loving awful it'd be to have the same Supreme Court justice for 120 years

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
We're gonna find out when she dies in 2019 and Trump appoints an emancipated 17 year old from the yale young republicans or whatever and they live until 2140

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Admiral Ray posted:

Imagine how loving awful it'd be to have the same Supreme Court justice for 120 years

Stephen Field changed his name to Neil Gorsuch and is still hanging around.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Can't wait till Trump appoints RBG's replacement on March 16, 2020, and they are confirmed before the end of the day.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Can't wait till Trump appoints RBG's replacement on March 16, 2020, and they are confirmed before the end of the day.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but I'm pretty sure it's either stupid or trolling.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but I'm pretty sure it's either stupid or trolling.
Its a Garland reference. So right on both counts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was being sarcastic but not trolling. I'm pointing out that every day that goes by gets closer to the 2020 election. The Republicans made up the idea that a President is not allowed to nominate a Supreme Court Justice close to an election, but they never specified exactly how close. I have a sneaking suspicion that if it's a Republican President the answer is "they can nominate somebody up to the day their term ends".

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
They will confirm someone in January 2021 if they need to, with 50+VP votes in Senate which they still have.

If you think HateTurtle cares about people calling him on his poo poo or whatever then you are mistaken.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

jeeves posted:

They will confirm someone in January 2021 if they need to, with 50+VP votes in Senate which they still have.

If you think HateTurtle cares about people calling him on his poo poo or whatever then you are mistaken.

HateTurtle just grins while Schumer points and goes "how dare you, sir". Before the midterm election, he offers that if the Democrats win, they will nevertheless schedule votes on Republican SCOTUS justices, albeit while bringing back the filibuster to be used against the next Dem president

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Cry Pres settlements are really not bad at all. The important part of a class action is creating an economic incentive for the company to abide by the law even where the harm to individuals is very small, who actually receives the award is not that important because the harm to the plaintiffs is nominal in any case.

Lawdog69 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 12, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So Hardiman is a good possibility for the next Supreme Court Justice if a spot opens up. He's also crazy.

https://twitter.com/DavidLat/status/1063534082829819906

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
lol what the gently caress

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Piell posted:

So Hardiman is a good possibility for the next Supreme Court Justice if a spot opens up. He's also crazy.

Jesus, the federalist society is a drat cancer on law. It’s a loving travesty that this narrow sliver of lunatics with a deeply warped view of jurisprudence has grown so powerful.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Teddybear posted:

Jesus, the federalist society is a drat cancer on law. It’s a loving travesty that this narrow sliver of lunatics with a deeply warped view of jurisprudence has grown so powerful.

Mitch McConnell has been absurdly successful in transforming the courts.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Teddybear posted:

They absolutely should be abolished

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Always allege $500,000.01 in damages

:chaostrump: bing bong SO SIMPLE :chaostrump:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Piell posted:

Even having only been peripherally involved in discovery I can understand saying this in frustration.

Because this was at the federalist society and not at the bar while drinking with a bunch of lawyers I assume it was a serious policy recommendation?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Piell posted:

If the dems ever took all branches and gave the slightest gently caress about the country they'd purge the federalist society from the bench.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Even having only been peripherally involved in discovery I can understand saying this in frustration.

Because this was at the federalist society and not at the bar while drinking with a bunch of lawyers I assume it was a serious policy recommendation?

No discovery means it is a lot harder to prove allegations against wrongdoers. As the powerful tend to commit wrongs against the weak this is largely favorable to the rich, whose interests conservatives exist to protect. But fear not, when rich people sue rich people over rich people things that by definition involve a lot of money, the full toolbox of justice will still be available.

It’s also fundamentally contrary to the system of notice pleading that has been the underpinning of our civil law system since like the 30s.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It’s fun that the illuminati exists

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kazak_Hstan posted:

No discovery means it is a lot harder to prove allegations against wrongdoers. As the powerful tend to commit wrongs against the weak this is largely favorable to the rich, whose interests conservatives exist to protect. But fear not, when rich people sue rich people over rich people things that by definition involve a lot of money, the full toolbox of justice will still be available.

It’s also fundamentally contrary to the system of notice pleading that has been the underpinning of our civil law system since like the 30s.

I'll take "judicial eras ending in the 1930s" for 500, Alex.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/blippoblappo/status/1064996356153057282

Full opinon here: https://www.reproductiverights.org/sites/crr.civicactions.net/files/documents/Jackson-v-Currier-Order.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Carlton Reeves for Supreme Court.