Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Could somebody with a Pokéball Plus try connecting to a PC over Bluetooth and see if it shows up as a standard controller like the Joy-Cons and Pro Controller do? It looks pretty fun, but not "$50 and I can only use it with one game" fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

American McGay posted:

It looks extremely chill and has plenty of polish. The removing random encounters and replacing it with the throw/catch mechanic is actually kind of a good thing and helps break up the monotony of battle with trainers ever 3 steps. I like it.

Same, I was kind of ambivalent about losing battles with wild pokemon, but now that I've actually played it for a few hours I really, really like it. I definitely look forward to the return of everything a proper generation 8 game entails (1000 Pokemon maybe? They're fairly close), but catching pokemon using the motion controls is actually a lot of fun. There's a technique to it that I haven't quite pinned down yet

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Could somebody with a Pokéball Plus try connecting to a PC over Bluetooth and see if it shows up as a standard controller like the Joy-Cons and Pro Controller do? It looks pretty fun, but not "$50 and I can only use it with one game" fun.

You will pay $50 for the privilege of owning a Mew and you will like it

Stitch
Aug 2, 2000

If it wasn't for bad judgement, I'd have none at all
Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

How big is the poke ball anyways? The pictures I'm seeing don't give me a frame of reference for how big their hands are.

I typed pokeball plus into this website called YouTube (it’s on an internet) and got https://youtu.be/bNB-eepQDdM also a shitload of other “videos” which are like pictures but there’s a lot of them.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Arghhh these posts are making me want to buy let's go even though I swore I was going to holdout for the new main game! Wanna chill with my Pokemon friends...

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Stitch posted:

I typed pokeball plus into this website called YouTube (it’s on an internet) and got https://youtu.be/bNB-eepQDdM also a shitload of other “videos” which are like pictures but there’s a lot of them.

Good thing all hands and fingers are the same size I guess.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Having read the Tim Rogers Animal Crossing article I was surprised to find out it was released in Japan for the 64?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

Good thing all hands and fingers are the same size I guess.

It's about the size of a golf ball

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

antidote posted:

Anyone playing Moonlighter find their store not closing anymore? Whether letting it happen naturally or closing manually, my customers leave and the game doesn't let me continue. Weird.

This is/was a bug in the PC version on release. Not sure how to fix it beyond just restarting and praying it works.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

nerd_of_prey posted:

Arghhh these posts are making me want to buy let's go even though I swore I was going to holdout for the new main game! Wanna chill with my Pokemon friends...

Your friends who you enslaved into going into battle for you, who would run away at the drop of a hat if you hadn't leashed them with 'candy'.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Go is fun and good, I haven't played since emerald on the gba and I'm finding it a heartwarming experience and I don't think much of worth is lost by not having wild battles, it's nice to be able to just move freely about if you just want a chill time with your electric mouse buddy.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Wandle Cax posted:

It's about the size of a golf ball

Okay, bummer. I was hoping everything I was seeing was just larger hands, but then again Nintendo's main market is for kids so they would need to make it more appropriate for them to hold. Regular version it is then.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Pokéball Plus also works with Pokémon GO directly as a GO Plus, which allows for catching and spinning PokéStops without having the app fully open with your phone on the whole time. A GO Plus normally costs $35, so if you care about that sort of thing, it's a pretty good deal.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
has anyone tried using the Pokéball Plus in Dark Souls Remastered yet? this is very important

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Having read the Tim Rogers Animal Crossing article I was surprised to find out it was released in Japan for the 64?

Yeah, as Animal Forest.

Fun Fact: The game is so small that after loading it, you can remove the disc from the Gamecube and still play normally.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
avoiding all the wild pokemon (except the single ones you need for a dex entry) is a good way to make sure the game stays slightly challenging

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

asecondduck posted:

Played four hours of Let's Go Back To Kanto For The Fifth Time this evening. drat, this is great. I don't miss the random battles and HP/PP management that comes with them at all. Tossing balls at Pokemon is a fine replacement.

I really hope they keep the mechanic mostly the same--the one improvement I would make if they keep it for the upcoming mainline game would be instead of using a berry to make the catching easier to have the option use a move from one of your party members instead to weaken it a bit. I feel like that would be a good balance between the old and the new.

The Pokeball Plus mostly awesome. "Throwing" it at the Pokemon is cool, and having it vibrate and flash as the ball shakes is some pretty great immersion. I don't love having to click the stick all the time, though--it just feels wrong, and I don't know how much it can take before it wears out.

I feel like the button should have been A, the stick should have been Y(least used button) and shake should have been menu/b

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Really fun to play with the pokeball plus. Only thing is after I finished I tried to connect it to my phone and my phone saw it but wouldn't connect, and now pressing the buttons seem to do nothing?

Well, I'm plugging it in and will try again in the morning I guess. I didn't try opening the game again to see if it still connects to the switch, but right now the buttons seem to do nothing at all. I don't have a Pokemon in there or anything so I wouldn't expect the buttons to do anything. Guess I'll find out if it's broken in the morning!

Turns out I couldn't hook it to my phone because my switch was still on without me realizing and it hooked itself to the switch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

How difficult would it be to strap a JoyCon to your penis/a strap-on and catch a Pokemon that way?

e: Asking for a friend

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pretty easy

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Excellent, time to pull out my credit card and make some expensive purchases for my favorite cam sites.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure to buy two poke ball controllers to attach to it for the full effect

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I enjoy the whole article, but the part that really sticks with me is the bit about Mario 64 just being fun to play. You don't need a bunch of game mechanics, todo lists, achievements, whatever. You can spend an hour just loving around outside the castle and it is a joy. I think about that passage a lot when I'm playing games.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my God you can put hats and shirts on Pikachu in Let’s Go.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, as Animal Forest.

Fun Fact: The game is so small that after loading it, you can remove the disc from the Gamecube and still play normally.

Whoa

Although it's kinda funny because I remember it's save file being huge compared to everything else.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Your Computer posted:

has anyone tried using the Pokéball Plus in Dark Souls Remastered yet? this is very important

I tried to play Sonic Mania with it but it wouldn't connect at all.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I played through Undertale but missed out on the good ending for eating some carrots that were bad mouthing me

I didn't hear the song Megalovania, which is one I was looking forward to - which ending do I need to pursue to play that fight? Good or Evil?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried to play Sonic Mania with it but it wouldn't connect at all.

That's not really surprising, it's likely got a unique device ID and inputs, rather than just being fudged as "this is totally a JoyCon, you're just never receiving inputs from some buttons :ninja:" in the same way a third-party arcade stick or gun controller might be. Any game that isn't Pokemon Let's Go simply isn't going to recognize it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

I played through Undertale but missed out on the good ending for eating some carrots that were bad mouthing me

I didn't hear the song Megalovania, which is one I was looking forward to - which ending do I need to pursue to play that fight? Good or Evil?

Deliberate and extremely thorough evil

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thanks buddy, I'll do that one next and then go back for my proper mercy ending

that song is dope af

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

Thanks buddy, I'll do that one next and then go back for my proper mercy ending

that song is dope af

*waves arms frantically while shaking head*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

*waves arms frantically while shaking head*

*materializes begins u & pulls u into the darkness*

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pokémon is fun. Played some coop last night with the lady, we were super drunk but it was a ton of fun.

Oh and Tim Rodgers’ voice is super loving annoying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone found a good resource or video explaining all the things you can do with the pokeball plus?

Play PLG
Use it (somehow?) to get stuff at Go pokestops
Interact with your caught Pokémon some way?

Can you link it to your phone and Go without auto dumping a billion Pokémon into the switch game?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beastie posted:

:chloe:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m surprised people did get all pissy about random battles being axed
From Pokémon. Random battles in RPGs are loving awful and it’s why pretty much every modern RPG has been moving away from them

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Ignite Memories posted:

That song means you totally hosed up... or succeeded depending on your view.

No mercy/Genocide is your path to Megalovania

Speaking of that I finally got through that fight but reset after without finishing the job. Not completing that crap. Just wanted to say I got through one of the hardest fights they can throw at you.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m surprised people did get all pissy about random battles being axed
From Pokémon. Random battles in RPGs are loving awful and it’s why pretty much every modern RPG has been moving away from them

Unfamiliar is bad to most people and these are the same people that clamor for something new at the same time that get riled up when a company delivers

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Feenix posted:

Anyone found a good resource or video explaining all the things you can do with the pokeball plus?

Play PLG
Use it (somehow?) to get stuff at Go pokestops
Interact with your caught Pokémon some way?

Can you link it to your phone and Go without auto dumping a billion Pokémon into the switch game?

So the GO Plus is a bracelet that lights up when a Pokémon or PokéStop is nearby in GO. When you press the button, it will try to catch the Pokémon or spin the PokéStop and collect items from it, without the need to pull out your phone, wake it up, and do it manually.

The Pokéball Plus can be used as a GO Plus.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beastie posted:

You’re welcome to your opinion. But your opinion is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Something to note for anybody coming to lets go after not having played a Pokemon in a long time- the changes to types that they've made over time are still represented in this game. Clefairy for example is Fairy type, not Normal type. Fairy is super effective against Dragon type so.... ya know, have fun with that.