Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Countblanc posted:

Someone give me some tips for Vital Strength of the Earth in spirit island. They're my favorite spirit to use still, dozens of plays in, and I generally do well with them... but I feel like I'm not getting maximum value. Like I rarely end up using their innate ability and that alone sets off sirens for me since I think they're the only spirit I ever use who has that happen.

Here is what I do:

Turn one use the third growth option, drop presence from plays somewhere with an explorer and dahan if possible to set up a ravage in your favor next turn with your special ability. Play Draw of the Fruitful Earth to prevent up to two builds.

Turn two reclaim all, either create a sacred site where they are ravaging or place presence somewhere with an explorer and dahan (this is a common theme with your presence drops), and play Draw of the Fruitful Earth and Rituals of Destruction. Trigger your innate to repeat Draw of the Fruitful Earth. Use the double draw + rituals to prevent up to two builds and deal massive damage to a single location.

Turn three onward reclaim all, repeating turn two except dropping presence from the energy track.

You'll occasionally want to use your other cards, but only if they get full effect. Guard the Healing Land needs to both cure blight and provide defense to prevent additional blight. A Year of Perfect Stillness should prevent at least two invader actions. Otherwise they are worse than repeating turn two's combo. Try to use either of these powers for the first time on a turn where you can create a sacred site, letting you use the second growth option and gain a minor power.

This pretty easily and reliably defeats up to difficulty 8 opponents solo and can tackle difficulty 10 with proper support from another spirit once you have a good feel for when to use your other powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Someone give me some tips for Vital Strength of the Earth in spirit island. They're my favorite spirit to use still, dozens of plays in, and I generally do well with them... but I feel like I'm not getting maximum value. Like I rarely end up using their innate ability and that alone sets off sirens for me since I think they're the only spirit I ever use who has that happen.

He's a noob spirit and using the innate really isn't worth spending the opportunity cost to break your back to be trying and triggering. You're going to be only doing 2 card plays for most of the game and chugging as many major powers as you can with his massive energy generation while keeping your board as hygienic as possible with this passive. That's really all there is to it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pair yourself with a spirit that can help you get presence on the board faster (like Spread of Rampant Green) if you want to get your innate more play. This is self proliferating, since you can use it make Gift of Proliferation target you twice. As mentioned, the most basic strategy is: use your special ability to defend trouble sites, buy and use major powers, and manipulate the Dahan to setup Rituals of Destruction.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thanks for the tips everyone - most was stuff I knew, but things like repeating Rampant Spreads power is great.

Unrelated, my order for The Estates kept getting pushed back on Game Nerdz, are there any other places that have it in stock?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone - most was stuff I knew, but things like repeating Rampant Spreads power is great.

Unrelated, my order for The Estates kept getting pushed back on Game Nerdz, are there any other places that have it in stock?

Looks like Amazon has a copy available through a place called "BuyVPC". 94% positive ranking, which is at the point I'd call it risky, though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Countblanc posted:

I got mine already. Did you have it on hold? You have to send them an email since it’s not as integrated as CSI/MM

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chill la Chill posted:

I got mine already. Did you have it on hold? You have to send them an email since it’s not as integrated as CSI/MM

It was tied to some other pre-orders so I just abolished the whole thing. It looks like they have some in stock so maybe I'll just make a new order.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So Century Spice Road was created as a satire of eurogames, right? They just took it to the extreme where you are literally just changing cubes into other cubes into points and it’s meant as a joke? If it isn’t.a joke I really don’t know what to say

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Countblanc posted:

boardgameprices.com covers all the major not-Amazon retailers.

The Estates seems really cool, but I think it's a bit too mean for my usual groups. How often do players win with negative scores in that game?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tekopo posted:

So Century Spice Road was created as a satire of eurogames, right? They just took it to the extreme where you are literally just changing cubes into other cubes into points and it’s meant as a joke? If it isn’t.a joke I really don’t know what to say

You're thinking of Sidereal Confluence

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Tekopo posted:

Yea, Golems is the real game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tekopo posted:

It's considered by many to be a "Splendor killer", which speaks to the modesty of its ambitions. It also apparently can be combined with another game? I've seen people playing it at my weekly meetup every week, but once was enough for me.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The other game is Century: Eastern Wonders a pick-up-and-deliver game about cubes. I think Century: Eastern Wonders is better than Century Spice Road, but neither game gets me excited to play.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
to be honest, as tired as I am on these days as SAD creeps in, fast playing games with low set up are pretty appealing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Impermanent posted:

to be honest, as tired as I am on these days as SAD creeps in, fast playing games with low set up are pretty appealing.

Yeah since the time change it's been messing with me hard this year and I've struggled to get much played other than light fast stuff. Lot's of battlecon recently which is nice.

Speaking of, I played Keyforge a fair amount now and I'll cross post some of my thoughts from discord.

Keyforge is close to being a good game. My initial gencon impressions hold after a few more games; it would be way more approachable and interesting as a resource race game without direct combat which feels completely tacked on for the MTG crowd. The format of "show up and buy a random deck and play a tourny" is novel but doesnt capture the MTG draft/sealed play aspect because in those you are still crafting a deck and have a lot of control over it. The house activation/no resources concept is good but often leads to dead turns and multiple rebuilding phases through the game which makes it a slog. Speaking of, the game also takes way too long. 45-50 mins a game was the norm tonight and that's about twice as long as I feel it should be. In the end, it's kind of an arbitrary mess and the wide-net casting of being themeless hurts more than it helps for me, though it will be a big hit for FFG. Something like 50,000 decks are registered on the app already and you gotta imagine at least twice as many have sold.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only thing that interests me in Keyforge is ending up with a goofy deck name like Sad Crying Clown or whatever.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

al-azad posted:

The only thing that interests me in Keyforge is ending up with a goofy deck name like Sad Crying Clown or whatever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I wish that were real. I've been praying that some disgruntled employee would sneak a few interesting words into the procgen and someone would end up with a deck called Gay Hitler, the Social Justice Warrior.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I believe that is real. FFG had to issue a press release that they were fixing their name generator.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I believe that is real. FFG had to issue a press release that they were fixing their name generator.

It is. A bunch of names have already shown up as invalid. If you get one you get two free decks in recompense.

Including Flatcrank the Eunuch of Journalism.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Jedit posted:

I wish that were real. I've been praying that some disgruntled employee would sneak a few interesting words into the procgen and someone would end up with a deck called Gay Hitler, the Social Justice Warrior.

It seems to be real. The dictionary they use doesn't seem to have been vetted at all and it has produced some very odd titles

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, that's certainly encouraging.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just picked up a used copy of Red November after having a blast with it this wednesday at a board game café.

Anyone here familier with it? I'd like to know if there's errata posted anywhere.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm looking for a 2-player recommendation, if anyone can help. Me and the missus like to break out games on rainy (or in this case snowy) days. She's an immigrant and english is her second language so trivia games - especially the ones that focus on pop culture - are pretty much out. She really likes the social aspect though, so anything that involves questions or planning or discussion etc. is good.

I kind of prefer to have a traditional board and dice, or even cards if need be. Actually, Trivial Pursuit would be great if not for the, uh, actual trivia. Is there anything that might fit these rather picky specifications?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm looking for a 2-player recommendation, if anyone can help. Me and the missus like to break out games on rainy (or in this case snowy) days. She's an immigrant and english is her second language so trivia games - especially the ones that focus on pop culture - are pretty much out. She really likes the social aspect though, so anything that involves questions or planning or discussion etc. is good.

I kind of prefer to have a traditional board and dice, or even cards if need be. Actually, Trivial Pursuit would be great if not for the, uh, actual trivia. Is there anything that might fit these rather picky specifications?

- Hanabi is one obvious recommendation, in a sense. It involves questions, but abolutely no planning or discussion. Communication is rigurously limited.
- Gloomhaven :v: (or any other quality co-op).
- Space Alert best co-op but maybe too intense for long sessions.
- The recent Inhuman Conditions might fit the bill very well, but maybe also too intense. Note: this will require solid understanding of English and it's particularly bad because she can't ask you what something means. I recommend establishing a 2 minute period that she should spend on a tablet with you not watching, so she can translate stuff if it's necessary. If not necessary, go through the 2 minutes anyway.
- Fog of Love is probably perfect. Will still require translation, but she can just break out the tablet whenever necessary, and it won't give you any hints.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 17, 2018

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Seventh Arrow posted:

I don't know how exactly it would play out with a language barrier but Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective has a lot of questions and discussion that doesn't rely on trivia or pop culture too much. Things like Pandemic, Spirit Island, Burgle Bros, Ghost Stories etc are more of a traditional board game and require some degree of planning in order to succeed.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks guys!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm looking for a 2-player recommendation, if anyone can help.

Consider Codenames: Duel, although it uses cards rather than a board.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Seventh Arrow posted:

You should check out Chess.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Forbidden series of games are pretty basic coop games that I think work really well for what you’re asking. As coop games you need to plan out your moves together, but there’s no real language dependency.

I think the other suggestions are pretty language heavy so it comes down to how much you want to be the one driving.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Tias posted:

I just picked up a used copy of Red November after having a blast with it this wednesday at a board game café.

Anyone here familier with it? I'd like to know if there's errata posted anywhere.

I’m not sure if there’s errata but I always had a ton of fun with it right out of the box.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Seventh Arrow posted:

Jaipur. Fun, really easy to learn. Not much in the social aspect but it's a perfect 10-20 minute 2 player game.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
For two player games with talking you want a co-op but make sure it's one that plays well with 2 players. I wouldn't recommend Space Alert in that case, and it sounds like you guys will be pretty new to modern games (apologies for taking this leap). I'd recommend something like Pandemic where you're scientists trying to cure diseases spreading around the world or Flash Point: Fire Rescue where you're firefighters running around a building putting our fires and saving individual people. Both have little pieces for your characters that you move around a a map and solid, easily recognizable themes that are fun and easy to get into, which I hugely recommend if you're trying to sell someone on a game. Any cards in the games have very small amounts of text that are generally revealed to everyone at the same time so a language barrier will be easier to overcome. Plus you're working together against the game instead of against each other!

If you want to play against each other, Hive is a fun little game that is a decent amount like Chess but with bugs. Each type of bug moves differently and the objective is to surround your opponents Queen Bee. It was one of the early games I bought because it's cheap and my gf took a quick liking to it. If you get the pocket version you can keep it in a bag to play at dinner or out on a picnic or something.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
If we allow competitive stuff with no "social aspect", Patchwork is a perennial favourite.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Arboretum, Santorini, Schotten Totten, Onitama are all great and language independent 2 player games as well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Fox in the forest is also good.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Going back a few pages now, but in response to Tiny Epic Zombies;

I haven't played a single Tiny Epic game that I've ever wanted to play again. Surely I can't be alone in this?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The End posted:

Going back a few pages now, but in response to Tiny Epic Zombies;

I haven't played a single Tiny Epic game that I've ever wanted to play again. Surely I can't be alone in this?

Same, with the exception of Galaxies which is decent.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I have a stack of Tiny Epic games and play none of them. Should probably trade them away. They are just such a nice package, too bad gameplay isn't so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Max posted:

Fox in the forest is also good.

Yes, we had actually tried this one out and liked it although the ruleset was a bit weird to get used to. Anyways, we picked up Forbidden Island and Jaipur...thanks again for the suggestions!