Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.
Anyone else's non-pagan rulers dying constantly in battle? Played a Catholic Duke and as the Byzantine Emperor and each game if I let them lead armies they'd get killed in single combat after a few battles. Over the course of the both games of 11 rulers, 10 died in battle and the longest they lasted was 6 years. Personal combat skill didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Pagans are fine though, even with low personal combat skill. Makes me think a battlefield duelling event is out of whack as that is what seems to kill me everytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

Anyone else's non-pagan rulers dying constantly in battle? Played a Catholic Duke and as the Byzantine Emperor and each game if I let them lead armies they'd get killed in single combat after a few battles. Over the course of the both games of 11 rulers, 10 died in battle and the longest they lasted was 6 years. Personal combat skill didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Pagans are fine though, even with low personal combat skill. Makes me think a battlefield duelling event is out of whack as that is what seems to kill me everytime

Out of curiosity what time period? Probably not relevant, but I suspect Catholics get buffs once crusades start up. My pagan game so far has given me the impression that pagans completely dominate battlefield events when they’re leading troops.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The best ruler I could ever want and and his heirs are all poo poo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cheesetriangles posted:

The best ruler I could ever want and and his heirs are all poo poo.

Divorce your wife, marry a younger one, make more babies.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Hey that's a great idea. The Pope loves me so he is sure to grant it.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Out of curiosity what time period? Probably not relevant, but I suspect Catholics get buffs once crusades start up. My pagan game so far has given me the impression that pagans completely dominate battlefield events when they’re leading troops.

Old Gods start so that would make sense. But even my strong, brave, brilliant strategist Emperor with the +25 combat skill handgun died in his second battle, then his 4th when I reloaded. This was in battles where I outnumbered them 10 to 1.

Not the end of the world though. It's basically a free suicide to get my groomed heir on the throne as soon as he hits 16.

Torrannor posted:

Seduction focus and impregnate everyone with a good trait. Legitimise the good kids.

DeadLetterOfficer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 17, 2018

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Hey that's a great idea. The Pope loves me so he is sure to grant it.

KILL YOUR WIFE AND GET ANOTHER!

SACRIFICE THEM ALL!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MaxieSatan posted:

Man, I did the "Forge Bloodline" thing for the first time today, and I really wish it was a little less opaque what the event-chain ones do. I'm not even sure if the choices I got were tied to the goals I was pursuing or if I just did a completely different thing than my original intent.
Basically:

There's a bloodline you can get for completing each of the listed tasks in the ambition
There's a different bloodline for going half and half on any combination of two
Events will pop up about forging a bloodline; these produce different results than the first two options, and I believe have 8 different potential bloodlines available (four with the first choice, each splitting into two with the second.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MaxieSatan posted:

Man, I did the "Forge Bloodline" thing for the first time today, and I really wish it was a little less opaque what the event-chain ones do. I'm not even sure if the choices I got were tied to the goals I was pursuing or if I just did a completely different thing than my original intent.

If you want to be 100% less opaque, someone put together a list on the Paradox forums, but otherwise it's basically what Strudel said. Once you know what event chain options there are it's pretty clear which choices lead to what.

(also the Benevolence bloodline chain is currently bugged to hike your revolt risk through the roof, apparently, so, um, don't pursue that one).

Battle is a lot more of a meatgrinder in 3.0 for some reason, I've had to replace a ton of commanders playing as a Catholic king, and it took several tries to get my Eleanor of Aquitaine start off the ground because she kept being killed or incapped in battle. It's not just battlefield duelling, even just the random deaths or comas seem more common than I remember. That said, I've had a few that managed to stick around once they improved personal combat skill through experience or items. End of the day it's still RNG and sometimes the dice come up snake eyes.

I think Pagan warrior societies give powers that buff your survivability (and I hope someone mods in knightly orders or some other warrior societies that do similarly), but I don't know if there's anything more than that (haven't really looked at the code though).

In other news, guess who forgot to turn off Sunset Invasion and had the Aztecs arrive in 1189 (shortly after the Mongools actually, yay for the Delayed Random game rule)? Although actually the Aztecs aren't the real problem, after conquering England, Scotland, Normandy and Portugal they got ground down enough by defensive pacts and a Crusade that I could probably take them on my own at this point.

The REAL problem is that the goddamn Kaiser, who is second only to the Mongols in levy size, took them as a tributary state so now they can call him in against basically anything that might ever get rid of them, including vassal revolts. I guess I'll just have to get used to the smell of burning sacrifices wafting over the Channel.

edit: oh boy, Aztec England just got a crusade called against them, I can't WAIT to find out what happens when they call the Kaiser into it.

answeredit: the Kaiser joined the crusade so now the Aztecs only have Wales and Galicia left, score.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 18, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So apparently Greeks can try to forge a claim that they are descendents of Alexander the Great

See guys our Dynasty is Makedon... Alexander was from Makedon... soo put two and two together and yes we are his true heirs!

A bunch of events and about 20,000 prestige and 5,000 gold down the toliet

you get this sexy bloodline.

Yes you get once a lifetime invasions which will make retaking the Roman Empire so much easier

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 17, 2018

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Yeah, one ruler of mine lasted two days before dying in the same battle as his predecessor.

What I've found is that if you're going to be a warmongering Catholic you really have to prepare for it by taking the war focus and being an rear end in a top hat to people until you can duel them; the duelist trait being worth a cool +30 personal combat goes a long way toward staying alive on the battlefield and the other minor buffs (Warrior et al) stack up quickly as well.

In general though I'm cool with all of it. Like, yeah, this scholar king with noodle arms probably can't take the furious berserker jarl the size of a truck who's done nothing but fight for three decades, fair enough Pdox.

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

So apparently Greeks can try to forge a claim that they are descendents of Alexander the Great

See guys our Dynasty is Makedon... Alexander was from Makedon... soo put two and two together and yes we are his true heirs!

I got that one as an Italian ruling from Rome and with only one county of Greek land, though I was also trying to revive Hellenism in secret so that may have something to do with it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can only Byzantium reform Rome?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
It seems like the 'Go on a pilgrimage' mission for monastic orders is bugged - it never gets removed after you've returned and got pilgrim status.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

If you're Catholic Rome doesn't need reforming. You have direct successors already in the Papacy and the Holy Roman Empire.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The amount of prestige you get from duels should really be tied to the combat ability of your opponent. I keep getting into duels with my daughter/rival who by this point has one eye, one hand and one leg and I still get 100 prestige each time. Who is honestly impressed by a lunatic viking hacking off bits of his daughter every few years?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cheesetriangles posted:

Yes. But you need not be Orthodox iirc, Catholics can do it, too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh gods that even bloodline that lets you plot for any title is crazy good if you want to do land management

and if you've been sprouting down unrelated cadet dynasties, I wonder if you can take the ambition again?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Raided the vactican and stole Jesus's foreskin.

Game is good.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
When it comes to Pagan Reformation, what leaderships did you all pick? In terms of options it seems like the most vague in terms of what benefits and drawbacks it gives you. If it wasn't for the potential loss of Great Holy Wars then Autonomous would be quite a near pick, giving you extra attributes and potential paths to take!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, I feel like the West-African specific one is meh. I wish that you could take either two premade ones or three individual ones, because as is they feel kinda, lifeless afterwards

I dunno, it's a great system though. Maybe that would make them overpowered?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

SkySteak posted:

When it comes to Pagan Reformation, what leaderships did you all pick? In terms of options it seems like the most vague in terms of what benefits and drawbacks it gives you. If it wasn't for the potential loss of Great Holy Wars then Autonomous would be quite a near pick, giving you extra attributes and potential paths to take!

Oh, I went with Autonomous anyway, largely for rp reasons. Who needs GHWs when I can just run a regular holy war six times?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Randarkman posted:

If you're Catholic Rome doesn't need reforming. You have direct successors already in the Papacy and the Holy Roman Empire.

Thems fighting words.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jacque Pott posted:

I got that one as an Italian ruling from Rome and with only one county of Greek land, though I was also trying to revive Hellenism in secret so that may have something to do with it.
Virtually anyone can do it; it basically just requires an emperor title, a boatload of prestige, and a capital in Europe, Asia Minor, Jerusalem or Arabia. But you're more likely to get the event for it if you're greek (x3), latin-cultured (x1.5), christian (x2), hellenic pagan (x2), or reformed hellenic pagan (x3). Being a very pious hellenic pagan makes it still more likely.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I decided to get the dlc after all. I'm playing as Isabella of Jerusalem in 1220. She has become a fat drunk lunatic but everybody loves her and so do I.

What areas exactly do I need to control to form the empire of Outremer? The tooltip just says "near east". Jerusalem and Syria? Plus Anatolia?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
If you are trying to Forge a bloodline, DO NOT PICK THE OPTION TO REFORM LAWS. It's absolutely awful. It gives some meager monthly piety and prestige and a bonus to other Just rulers. On the flip side, it will cause every single province in your entire country to get a massive revolt risk. It does not go away once the peasants revolt. You must wait it out. Literally every county in my entire realm is revolting every month, to the point I can't even click close all the popups telling me there is a revolt before another wave pops.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

If you are trying to Forge a bloodline, DO NOT PICK THE OPTION TO REFORM LAWS. It's absolutely awful. It gives some meager monthly piety and prestige and a bonus to other Just rulers. On the flip side, it will cause every single province in your entire country to get a massive revolt risk. It does not go away once the peasants revolt. You must wait it out. Literally every county in my entire realm is revolting every month, to the point I can't even click close all the popups telling me there is a revolt before another wave pops.

This happened to me too and it was miserable. NO ONE DO THIS.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
What triggers the Alexander's bloodline event chain? Is it just random?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

The Battle Axe posted:

This happened to me too and it was miserable. NO ONE DO THIS.
It sounded like it would give a good bloodline, too, didn't it?

JosefStalinator posted:

Random when you qualify, based on the prerequisites I mentioned above.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

pidan posted:

I decided to get the dlc after all. I'm playing as Isabella of Jerusalem in 1220. She has become a fat drunk lunatic but everybody loves her and so do I.

What areas exactly do I need to control to form the empire of Outremer? The tooltip just says "near east". Jerusalem and Syria? Plus Anatolia?
The Kingdom of Yemen too but not, I think, Egypt, though if you do form it with that it becomes yours de jure

Not Anatolia from what I remember

JosefStalinator posted:

Have a capital in Europe or an area he conquered, be Christian, Greek or Hellenic. More detail further up

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I took the bloodline to have a better chance to capture artifacts when sieging and I didn't get a single one ever. I think it might only apply to personally leading troops.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Oh oops my son randomly inherited the kingdom of pannonia in my poland blob game. -500 modifier in the elective gavelkind. I had to boat race to form the wendish empire and now I'm not sure. I wanted to remain pure and form the polish empire, but that's just not possible before I die and drop all my kingdoms to randos dynasty members. I really don't like that kingdom titles are magically created on ascension if you own enough of the de jure land.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its intentional to prevent Gavelkind abuse where you could keep massive territories by ensuring you only had one top-level title.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That has me thinking: is it easier to kill yourself dueling in battles now?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pope decided to call his first crusade for loving Sweden, and after being the top contributor I not only got a 6k gold purse, but my brother got set up on the throne. Of course Sweden was a disjointed mess of tribal counties, and not three years later he loses his kingdom and gets run out of town by rampaging pagans. He then shows back up in my court with his tail between his legs... and 8k more gold. :eyepop:

So yeah, now I have a -40 tyrant malus for imprisoning/banishing him. It hurts sure, but I think I can spend my way through the pain.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm playing as the Byzantines and for some reason I can't nominate my brother as heir. I could before but people didn't like him so I gave him some counties and made him a commander and now I can't nominate him. Anyone know why?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Figured it out... I accidentally gave him a city instead of a castle. gently caress me.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My current game has, for three generations, ruled three counties in Italy as direct vassels of the Pope while becoming Magi in the Hermetic Order. The first in this line made a handgun artifact. Since then, the family's hobby has been destabilizing the whole Europe and Africa by poo poo talking the kings and emperors to a point that they offer to duel, then Indiana Jones'ing them right off the bat without mercy. This had led to only West Francia not being a total mess on the map, I mean random start doesn't create as much chaos as an rear end in a top hat with a pistol and euphoria potion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I took the bloodline to have a better chance to capture artifacts when sieging and I didn't get a single one ever. I think it might only apply to personally leading troops.
The chance of getting artifacts is super low to begin with tbh: I have gotten a few raiding but not really something notably so? I mean, would it be per commander of that bloodline or just you?

cheesetriangles posted:

Figured it out... I accidentally gave him a city instead of a castle. gently caress me.
Weird, the new imperial government supposedly should make holding cities fine, but I guess he turns into a doge? I've still seen the AI suggest a doge like that for Emperor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah, it's a bug/quirk. If you give an unlanded character a full county (including both cities, castles and temples) while the Byzantine/Roman emperor, they become a city vassal instead of feudal. Have to make sure you give them just a castle first to establish the right government type, then you can give them the rest.