Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Dropping Crisis Suits from 42 base to 30 base might actually make them playable, drat.

A generic default suit comes with one Burst Cannon and is never worth using in that configuration under any circumstances even for 38 points instead of 50, but just about every other configuration suddenly got much better.

2x Burst Cannon and Advanced Targeting System for basically an 18" Assault 8, S5, AP-1 suit for 58 points is not terrible at all. It still doesn't compare well to something like an Inceptor at 45 points, but it compares significantly better than the 70 points it used to be.

3x Cyclic Ion Blasters and Advanced Targeting System for an 18" Assault 6, S8, AP-2, D3 damage unit with a T5/3+ and 3 wounds for 78 points could definitely be worse.

I'm pretty happy about this. It might actually end up with Crisis Suits in my 2k list, which is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Isn't the ATS a trap there? 54 points for 12 S5 shots is better than 58 points for 12 S5 AP-1 shots unless you're trying to hit terminators.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Harkano posted:

CA Rumours!

I've also seen rumors about changing -1 to hit for chapter/craftworld traits to "counts as in-cover"

That would explain putting out an Imperial Fists box set

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

NovemberMike posted:

Isn't the ATS a trap there? 54 points for 12 S5 shots is better than 58 points for 12 S5 AP-1 shots unless you're trying to hit terminators.

Maybe? Eight shots at S5 AP-1 certainly felt like it was doing more good than 12 shots at S5 AP0, but that could definitely just be confirmation bias on my end.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Given the stratagem that puts everything in cover on Turn 1 if you go second that's a pretty massive change. A needed one, but massive.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Given the stratagem that puts everything in cover on Turn 1 if you go second that's a pretty massive change. A needed one, but massive.

Imperial Fists suddenly being the kings of big dick mountain after Chapter Approved drops would be a hilarious shake-up that I'm 100% in favor of seeing.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Harkano posted:

CA Rumours!

Can't say I'm thrilled about asking "Hey do you mind if I am using the beta codex rules?" every game for a year, but that timeline is honestly about what I was expecting.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Giant Isopod posted:

Can't say I'm thrilled about asking "Hey do you mind if I am using the beta codex rules?" every game for a year, but that timeline is honestly about what I was expecting.

I think anyone who sees you playing sisters will assume you're using the beta rules.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

You're a Ad Mech battleship that found a planet with tombs full of Necrons that are starting to wake up. You have to stop them before two weeks (IIRC). You do this by running a bunch of raids on these tombs that get you resources and lead up to assassination missions where you kill off the Necron lords.

In the game loop you do XCom style battles with Tech Priests and Troops (Skitarii, Kastellans, Servitors, etc). Tech Priests are your persistent units that grow and level up and you can customize them so they're self-healing tanks with power axes that run down Necron Destroyers and cut them in half or dual wield Plasma Culverins on mechadendrites, or buff up the troops. They're free to bring on a mission but if they come out low health that can cost you 100+ dollarydoos. Troops have to be recruited for each mission but they're cheap, and you only get a small deposit back if they come back alive. Servitors have an ability where you get resources when people shoot them and you get no bonus for them coming back alive.

The writing is also really solid. There's no voice acting and not a ton of dialogue but the characters feel very 40k Mechanicus. There's the Skitarii commander that wants people to actually care about her troops lives, the Magus that does care if he can remember to turn on his emotion centers, the Tech-Priest from Stygies VII that's trying to steal technology for himself, the zealot, etc. They got a Black Library author to write everything and he did a really good job.

Please stop making me want to buy this game. I don't have the time for the ones I already own.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Imperial Fists suddenly being the kings of big dick mountain after Chapter Approved drops would be a hilarious shake-up that I'm 100% in favor of seeing.

Deathwatch get the bullets that ignore cover so I'm all for it.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Strobe posted:

Maybe? Eight shots at S5 AP-1 certainly felt like it was doing more good than 12 shots at S5 AP0, but that could definitely just be confirmation bias on my end.

AP-1 bypasses a 3+ on a 1, 2 or 3. AP 0 bypasses it on a 1 or 2. That's a 50% increase for AP-1, and 12 is 50% more than 8 so they are equal., but you pay less for more shots so 3 guns pulls ahead. It's a little worse against terminators, but better against elves, guard, etc.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

If Deathwatch and my banana bros (I'm gonna go Primaris with the other Dark Imperium Box-half I have sitting around) both get buffs, I will have no more excuses for making bad decisions and losing

e: kidding of course, but it will be nice to bring more stuff to get mowed down

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

NovemberMike posted:

AP-1 bypasses a 3+ on a 1, 2 or 3. AP 0 bypasses it on a 1 or 2. That's a 50% increase for AP-1, and 12 is 50% more than 8 so they are equal., but you pay less for more shots so 3 guns pulls ahead. It's a little worse against terminators, but better against elves, guard, etc.

Checks out.

There's a small point in favor of ATS, at least. It works in melee, too. Even though T'au melee hits on 5+, Crisis Suits are still S5 with 2-3 attacks each.

Nobody expects a battlesuit squad to charge, even though they have Fly.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 17, 2018

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

spacegoat posted:

Haven't painted in a while. Leviathan doesn't have the best trait but it makes these guys almost worth taking.

:krad:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Can confirm Mechanicus game is kickin' rad.

Kastellan robots are in it and they're beasts. EVERYONE'S ON FIRE FOREVER.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

NovemberMike posted:

I played the mechanicus game that just came out and it's actually good. Good writing, the tech priests have a lot of customization options, the troops feel really, really expendable. Very 40k.

Seconding, or thirding or whatever, this.
It's :krad:

And the Stygies lady that just want to loot the Tomb owns.
There's a mission where the Skitarii commander says she hopes whatever trinkets are worth spending the lives of her Skitarii.
The Stygies magos responds with [[[[[[ERROR]]]]]] drat not found.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Thanqol posted:

So I've been quiet for a while as far as postin' army pictures go, but that's not because I haven't been busy. I've also painted the Gellarpox half of the RT box, a buttload of genestealer cultists, and some other misc stuff. But here is the core of what is going to be expanded out into a full army of illegal conversions:

Rogue Trader Athi Hollzenstein
AKA The Immortal God-Empress of Mankind, Ruler of Fifty Worlds
AKA The Vile Secessionist

[FLUFF]

Look at this fluff. And all these conversions. So many illegal modifications... so naughty. I love it.

Coming at you straight from the underground is another HIGHLY controversial conversion/counts-as. This is the Maulerfiend for my jungle daemon "Warpwoods" army, armed with Lasher Tendrils represented by the razor-tipped vines whipping off its body.

EDIT: NOTE: I know some of the turquoise triangles are missing their final highlight dots in that photo. The shameful omission has since been rectified.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Harkano posted:

CA Rumours!

You mean I might actually paint and field mephiston? nice

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really like Kill Team

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hell, I like all you goons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nichol posted:

What picture are you looking at you clod those are blue and green.

What a way to find out you're colourblind

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DiHK posted:

You mean I might actually paint and field mephiston? nice

Why aren't you doing that right now :psyduck:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
What constitutes a different datasheet? If people are using the "rule of three" would different legions, loadouts or anything like that mean something is a different data sheet?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What constitutes a different datasheet? If people are using the "rule of three" would different legions, loadouts or anything like that mean something is a different data sheet?

No. Still the same sheet.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

No. Still the same sheet.

My all chaos biker army gimick idea, sigh.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rule of 3 feels hamfisted, tbh.

4 units of bikers? Nope, not allowed.

9 Leman Russes? Go for it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Floppychop posted:

Rule of 3 feels hamfisted, tbh.

4 units of bikers? Nope, not allowed.

9 Leman Russes? Go for it.

It feels like the sort of thing that might, next edition, evolve into a per-datasheet bespoke limit on fieldable models, but for now is a kludge, yeah.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Are there anything I could field with chaos bikers from keyword sharing armies that are on motorcycles?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there anything I could field with chaos bikers from keyword sharing armies that are on motorcycles?

Most characters, I would think.

You could always run them as really spiky counts-as Dark Angels. :v:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Stygies kinda went from auto-take before the big faq to maybe second or third best FW after to maybe in the lower third if these CA rumors are correct. I'd be more upset if I didn't shelve my admech after they got rid of infiltrate - honestly a permenant army-wide minus to hit is probably too good as a faction ability. Sucks when FAQs change like 90% of a factions rules in their dex but I guess that's an inevitable issue until we're all using digital.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deified Data posted:

Stygies kinda went from auto-take before the big faq to maybe second or third best FW after to maybe in the lower third if these CA rumors are correct. I'd be more upset if I didn't shelve my admech after they got rid of infiltrate - honestly a permenant army-wide minus to hit is probably too good as a faction ability. Sucks when FAQs change like 90% of a factions rules in their dex but I guess that's an inevitable issue until we're all using digital.

What did the FAQ do to Stygies?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What did the FAQ do to Stygies?

Their Forge World specific strategem is like Raven Guard and Alpha Legions; it used to be a free placement anywhere on the board 9" away from the enemy before the game began, now it is just a free movement.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Strobe posted:

Most characters, I would think.

You could always run them as really spiky counts-as Dark Angels. :v:

How would I combine dark angels with chaos, aren't they the opposite faction?

E: that was a joke wasn't it. I'm too 40k dumb to get jokes :[

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 18, 2018

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
kill team questuon: is there any reason not to auto take toxin sacs on tyranid genestealers if you have the points for em? they seem to be all upside.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

kill team questuon: is there any reason not to auto take toxin sacs on tyranid genestealers if you have the points for em? they seem to be all upside.

I guess if you want your opponent to like you, you'd leave them off lol

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

There is a common conception that Dark Angels are secretly (or not so secretly) a heretic chapter because of the poo poo they pull to keep the exista.nce of the Fallen hidden.

That said, the Fallen are legit Chaos Dark Angels*, and I've always thought it would be bad rear end to kitbash CSM and Dark Angels bits to make a fallen army. If you did this, you could run a "chaos ravenwing" list using Black Knights, Ravenwing Bikers, their bike characters, etc. Would probably look pretty good if done right.

*Not all of them, but definitely some

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Harvey Mantaco posted:

There was a joke in there, yes. But it was also kinda serious, because Dark Angels get two different kinds of Bike datacards and you can bring twice as many. If you make em look all Chaos-y, just say you're using the Dark Angels Codex for your army and mentally replace all the keywords

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Strobe posted:

There was a joke in there, yes. But it was also kinda serious, because Dark Angels get two different kinds of Bike datacards and you can bring twice as many. If you make em look all Chaos-y, just say you're using the Dark Angels Codex for your army and mentally replace all the keywords

That's cool as hell.

I think I will!
I was going to take 33 between 3 units, 3 lords on bikes and 3 sorc on bikes with the rest noise marines rocking out. I'm also considering just making the palanquin of nurgle a bunch of nurglings carrying around a guy on a bike.

(I uh, made some bike molds)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
50 pt Land speeders. :parrot: :parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

50 pt Land speeders. :parrot: :parrot:

I still don’t see them as a better option over Inceptors.