Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I swear that kid is very very very close to just being kicked out, who really hasnt been practicing there that long. I sent a note out to a friend of mine that owns a gym in Vegas and he says he wont even take kids under the age of 5 and really doesnt like taking the ones under 8 and now I get why. To much liability with some of them.

But what really angers me are the parents (and this can be any sport) that sideline coach without understanding or even attempting the sport to begin with. Too often the kid is listening to the parent instead of the coach and thats where a disconnection can occur and problems arise.

My daughters did go back into class last night. They love practicing takedowns and playing all the games that they have setup for them. Its been great for their esteem building and making new friends.

I'd say the person in charge is responsible for all of that.

My kids have been doing BJJ for years and the black belts at our gym absolutely do not allow parents to coach their kids at all. That rule is posted on every wall and they do not hesitate to make eye contact and tell parents to stop.

They also don't hesitate to tell parents to take their kids elsewhere (even telling parents to leave). They aren't assholes about it, but they'll say your kid needs to mature before they come back.

Also, new(ish) kids are kept in the regular class that has multiple coaches. They've got to prove themselves to make it into the competition and advanced kids classes.

Maybe make a suggestion for a "gym rules" sheet that gets put up on all the walls and includes rules for parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

spb posted:

I’m so bad at ground karate

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

*person stands up and starts walking around me* well might as well start shrimping now

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I leg locked one of our brown belts today and then proceeded to get clock choked by a white belt on the next roll. So if you need to feel better about your ground karate, there you go.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I helped a training partner with our warm ups, felt like he was a fairly newish beginner and then he tapped me three times and I couldn't tap him once.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

he Hindulitinued me.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Battle Born is in reference to Nevada becoming a state during the Civil War.

Ive never even asked him this question. Thats actually pretty cool.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Got a stripe. Feels good after taking 8 years off and I've been back now for around 8 months, feel like I'm really making progress. I keep comparing myself to when when I was 25 and training 6 days a week in super good shape, and I think me back then would still beat me now. All the dudes who were promoted to blue with me back in the day who kept training are black belts now. Just gotta keep training.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Eddie Cummings vs Travis Magalit is no more?? What happened to Travis?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

heeebrew posted:

Eddie Cummings vs Travis Magalit is no more?? What happened to Travis?
Travis was injured according to Ottavia.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dreamed I rolled against Marcelo Garcia

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I went in from our small-town sattelite club to visit the main parent club, while I was on a trip into ~tHe CiTy~. Anyway, I rolled against a really big purple belt who's a cool dude and who I've rolled with before, and we got to laughing and chatting while we rolled. Then part way through the roll, he started cursing our club (in good humour) like, "oh your guys' loving style - oh haha poo poo you did it again," when I was doing poo poo like wriggling out of keylocks or recovering my guard in unexpected places.

The point being, this guy has identified something in our club's style - something involving being good at getting our arms out of poo poo and wriggling around unexpectedly. The other side of the coin is that there are two moves I've been trying to get to work at home (all Marcello poo poo) which I've not had succeed yet, but I pulled them off multiple times at the big club, some of them against guys who are legit better than me.

Now I'm all obsessed with trying to identify and describe those details of the house styles.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Had a couple of interesting days. On Saturday I competed amongst the rest of the blue belts in a in house tournament and won my first match on points and then lost my second match by some sort of lapel choke (still not sure what the proper name for it is). My third match is the one I really am mad at myself for. A botched Yoko Tomoe Nagage led to a guard setup situation which I tried to turn into a De La Riva setup. Now the guy that beat me I handle 99% of the time, but this time he swept around pretty quick as I was trying to setup the DLR and finished me with a Kimura from North South. I should not have gone for a Tomo Nage and I was kicking myself for even attempting that move despite the fact that I had done it before.

My daughters also competed. It was fun watching them even though they were a little nervous. They did a no sub takedown only tournament and both had fun. I mainly just wanted to get them exposed a little to what goes on.

On Sunday we had Hall Sharp, Gary Goltz and Gokor Chivichyan (Karo Paryisan and Ronda Rouseys coach) give a seminar. Hall sharp (despite being 92 and barely being able to walk around) showed some interesting pocket grip setups for Osoto Gari with a pigeon toe setup for the throw. After getting used to the grip I was throwing people pretty easily to the mat. Gokor showed some interesting transitions to a kneebar from when you are in half guard and then some ankle lock variations.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 19, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Anyone use Grapplers Guide? Is it worth the price?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spb posted:

If I was told that I would have to renew my subscription for a weird reason I'd repay the 99$.

I don't use it much anymore but it's definitely worth the price. The outside experts are a bunch of high level BJJ people that win a bunch of titles that come and teach seminars that he films and posts on the website. The main problem with it is there's too much stuff so it gets overwhelming unless you're diligent when it comes to figuring out what you want to study or work on BEFORE getting on the website.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

On Sunday we had Hall Sharp, Gary Goltz and Gokor Chivichyan (Karo Paryisan and Ronda Rouseys coach) give a seminar. Hall sharp (despite being 92 and barely being able to walk around) showed some interesting pocket grip setups for Osoto Gari with a pigeon toe setup for the throw. After getting used to the grip I was throwing people pretty easily to the mat. Gokor showed some interesting transitions to a kneebar from when you are in half guard and then some ankle lock variations.

Awesome. Gokor's style is really interesting, I'm really jealous you got to have a seminar with him.

spb posted:

My buddy has it. If you get the black friday pricing it looks like it's a pretty good deal - a ton of good content under one roof.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

Awesome. Gokor's style is really interesting, I'm really jealous you got to have a seminar with him.

Hes kind of known for leglocks but its his judo that I wanted to see. Oh well, Hall Sharp more than made up for it.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

spb posted:

I have a membership but haven't used it much (BJJ videos don't do much for me unless I can rep out whatever I'm watching immediately afterwards). There's a staggering amount of content on there, so much that the only criticism I can think of is that it can be a little overwhelming trying to find something. It's definitely the best deal out there in terms of what you get for your money.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

So, I officially have a ruptured disk in my back. I'm really not sure how to proceed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

JaySB posted:

So, I officially have a ruptured disk in my back. I'm really not sure how to proceed.

Yikes, sorry to hear that.

What happened?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What happened?

In all likelihood it's from the car accident I was in a few months ago when someone t-boned my car.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

gently caress. Sorry to hear that Jay.

Ive had a slipped disk and was out for approximately 5 months. I think ruptures require surgery :( Has a doctor done a scan yet??

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Ive had a slipped disk and was out for approximately 5 months. I think ruptures require surgery :( Has a doctor done a scan yet??

I've gotten an MRI (months ago, ago and just now was given the actual results) and have an epidural scheduled for next month. Surgery is a last resort. I'm not debilitated or anything and should probably ask my Dr. if I should train but I'm guessing his advice is going to be "Don't"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

I had this. You can recover without surgery. You'll need a good physical therapist.

Actually follow all of their instructions. Also, traction (where they stretch your back on something like a torture rack) worked for me.

And never do anything that compresses your back (like help someone move furniture).

JaySB posted:

I'm not debilitated or anything and should probably ask my Dr. if I should train but I'm guessing his advice is going to be "Don't"

Yeah, my doctor has been complaining about my weightlifting/boxing/etc for years. At the same time he likes that I'm not fat and out of shape.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Yoga has really been helping me with my disc issues. I wish I started doing yoga earlier.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I've gotten an MRI (months ago, ago and just now was given the actual results) and have an epidural scheduled for next month. Surgery is a last resort. I'm not debilitated or anything and should probably ask my Dr. if I should train but I'm guessing his advice is going to be "Don't"

Man Ill tell you I would not do the epidural. I know people get these all the time and the success rate is good, but I was wary given the effects of risks associated with getting one. My doctor wanted me to get one but he shy'd away from telling me the risks (as they often do even with medications). 3 weeks later after seeing a physical therapist and consistently doing stretches and using the rack I was better. And I agree with the above. The "torture rack" does miracles. I would even go out and buy one (they are good to have even when you are not injured).

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I popped a guy's arm today and feel terrible about it. He is a blue belt but is very athletic, big and strong as well as being quite good for his level. I think that's why I gave him less leeway on the sub. I didn't notice him tapping until the extension.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 20, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What does a ruptured/slipped disc feel like? I've had a back thing for months and its like a 2/10 on the pain scale but it's still in.my back

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

Sorry to hear that. My Dr recommended keeping active when I had a slight slipped disc, I took some roids and used the time to get my deadlift up. I dont know if slipped is the same as ruptured.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What does a ruptured/slipped disc feel like? I've had a back thing for months and its like a 2/10 on the pain scale but it's still in.my back

Honestly, not much worse than your normal every day back pain. Some days are worse than others if I roll hard or lift. No shooting pains or anything.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

Honestly, not much worse than your normal every day back pain. Some days are worse than others if I roll hard or lift. No shooting pains or anything.

Dang, might have to get my own checked out then

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

spb posted:

Dreamed I rolled against Marcelo Garcia

So, any subs?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Tried to force a truck to back take from quarter guard too yesterday. Heard a very loud pop, with no pain. Woke up this morning with all the symptoms of an LCL injury.

Hoping that with RICE and some luck it will turn out to just be some inflammation in the ligament.

That sucks about your back, dude. Definitely hit up a good PT. Worked as an aide for a while and traction as well as heat or ice and possibly some estim can do wonders!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sciatic pain is pretty common, as it was with mine (slipped).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So I managed to tap a dude with a gogoplata while rolling today so as far as I am concerned I am the world's most dangerous man

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mine probably happened over the course of years.

The only way you're going to really see it is an MRI (because that will show the discs clearly). My doc x-rayed my back first and claimed I probably had a bone spur and gave me some muscle relaxants. IF I had caught it that early on I wouldn't have had years of horrible back problems.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Mine probably happened over the course of years.

The only way you're going to really see it is an MRI (because that will show the discs clearly). My doc x-rayed my back first and claimed I probably had a bone spur and gave me some muscle relaxants. IF I had caught it that early on I wouldn't have had years of horrible back problems.

Yeah I guess what confuses me is that it's not in the lower back where this stuff usually happens. Like, it's right behind the shoulder blade in the upper middle of my back. I should finally give in and see a doctor about it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I managed to tap a dude with a gogoplata while rolling today so as far as I am concerned I am the world's most dangerous man

Well you're at least top 5.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

I popped a guy's arm today and feel terrible about it. He is a blue belt but is very athletic, big and strong as well as being quite good for his level. I think that's why I gave him less leeway on the sub. I didn't notice him tapping until the extension.

Sorry to hear that, Yuns. I think you haven't gotten a response because there's nothing that any of us can say to you that you don't already know about jits - but I've injured people before, and even though we have informed consent and the assumption of risk in the sport, it doesn't stop us from feeling lovely when we do it.

That you feel lovely about it is probably a good sign about your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have it on good authority that the guy you injured is secretly a racist, so it’s fine