Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Keeshhound posted:

I would be extremely on board with a diplomacy expansion built around arranging for interstellar sporting competitions.

Maybe with the ability to nominate other empires as the host of the spacelympics to crash their economies.

Perhaps such an expansion was planned before it got Totally Cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Reveilled posted:

Perhaps such an expansion was planned before it got Totally Cancelled.

:discourse:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bedurndurn posted:

The invader is already being really generous by not using their space superiority to wipe anybody hostile off the planet. The two armies playing lacrosse to the death instead of normal combat makes more sense than anything else. Especially since you only build ground troops and never like 'space tanks' or anything from the engineering science branch.

It’s got nothing to do with generosity and everything to do with orbital bombardments taking forever to get results. Particularly if they’ve got multiple forts and a shield generator.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I personally self-modded bombardments to be ~3x more effective in every field. It helps so much with the tedium.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bedurndurn posted:

The invader is already being really generous by not using their space superiority to wipe anybody hostile off the planet. The two armies playing lacrosse to the death instead of normal combat makes more sense than anything else. Especially since you only build ground troops and never like 'space tanks' or anything from the engineering science branch.

Organics, maybe. Robot empires build space battle mechs and space titans. Organics should rethink their strategy of going in infantry-only. :v:

I feel Space Empires V does this better: In that game, your ground troops are 100% tanks. (Which you can design yourself.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That's the point of the devastation mechanics, no? Ground troops (presumably including tanks, exoskeletons, small aircraft etc) are least effective and take a long time but cause almost no devastation. City-sized robots are considerably more effective but don't leave much behind. Glassing the planet is quick but, well, glasses the planet.

My only real problem is, as has been said, better lasers and armour tech don't buff your ground troops.

e: dangerous tech would also be nice. Like, deploying xenomorphs and nanotech are incredibly effective but it's pretty much guaranteed to bite you in the rear end long term.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 17, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Need to be able to drive-by bomb planets with viruses like SotS. And occasionally accidentally drop the vial and woops your own planet has a disease turning everyone feral.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Plague lab, nanotech research facility, and xenomorph breeding ground buildings. The more you have the more xenomorphs/plague carriers/nanotech injectors you can deploy, but everywhere you build them has a chance to go to poo poo, and you don't want to use them anywhere you really care about.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Glassing the planet is quick but, well, glasses the planet.
Except glassing a planet is not at all quick? It takes years even against under-developed planets that the AI never built any buildings on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Except glassing a planet is not at all quick? It takes years even against under-developed planets that the AI never built any buildings on.
No, that's bombarding the planet. We don't have a glassing the planet option. We have conventional bombardment, <content missing>, blowing up the planet.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Splicer posted:

No, that's bombarding the planet. We don't have a glassing the planet option. We have conventional bombardment, <content missing>, blowing up the planet.

No we have glassing the planet. That's what armageddon bombardement stance is. The reason all non-armageddon bombardements take so long is because even with the most violent of them, you are still trying not to gently caress up the planet itself, at all. That obviously severely limits your bombing options.

SotS is a great example, because in that you have unrestricted bombarding as the default and it is extremely easy to just turn a planet into an unusable husk in a few moments with nukes and trying to depopulate a planet with biosphere friendly non-dedicated people-killers from orbit (like lasers or mass drivers) still takes forever and still destroys the infrastructure. You need boots on the ground, or at least gunships in the atmosphere to efficiently kill the people without completely devastating the infrastructure or biosphere.

Stellaris works pretty much the same way.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It would be really cool if weapon tech bumped the damage of armies by like 2% per tech and defensive tech bumped the health of armies by about the same.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

It would be really cool if weapon tech bumped the damage of armies by like 2% per tech and defensive tech bumped the health of armies by about the same.

There also should be a third and fourth category, for techs upping the moral health / damage of armies.

I certainly would have a higher morale if my side introduced portable shield generators, for example!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Am I wrong to want a sexy green aliens portrait pack so I can play the Orion Syndicate?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Platonicsolid posted:

Am I wrong to want a sexy green aliens portrait pack so I can play the Orion Syndicate?

The Blorg are already in the game, though?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

No we have glassing the planet. That's what armageddon bombardement stance is.

That's maybe what the idea is, but in practice it just means killing pops a bit faster than indiscriminate and then turning it into a tomb world at the end. To me a "glassing" option would turn the planet into a barren world when it was done, if you want something more complex than a microbe to live there again you're gonna have to start over from scratch. Like the Shadow Planetkiller.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So just a different flavour of colossus then?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Flavor is the spice of death :unsmigghh:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
"Make the planet completely unusable" is called a Colossus - the flavor of it doesn't matter, they're all Colossus weapons. Make a planet prohibitively expensive to live on or recover is Armageddon bombing and keep the planet from being made worse is regular bombardment. We've really got all the bases covered in terms of mechanics. More flavor is always good sure. (But is there really a colossus type that would be anything but a different colour or ethic of planet-destroying beam left?)

Techs upgrading armies slightly would make logical sense, but would it be good gameplay (if someone mods it I will play it)? At best that's a stopgap until the (hopefully) inevitable complete army overhaul patch/dlc.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I would really like bioweapons, if only so I can seed worlds with retrovirals from orbit and xenoform all the aliens into having the Delicious trait.

This would also allow me to play as a race that attacks ugly aliens on sight and fires missiles packed with genebombs that force their population to lose a random trait in favour of Charismatic. All they want is for the galaxy to be beautiful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DatonKallandor posted:

"Make the planet completely unusable" is called a Colossus - the flavor of it doesn't matter, they're all Colossus weapons. Make a planet prohibitively expensive to live on or recover is Armageddon bombing and keep the planet from being made worse is regular bombardment. We've really got all the bases covered in terms of mechanics. More flavor is always good sure. (But is there really a colossus type that would be anything but a different colour or ethic of planet-destroying beam left?)

Techs upgrading armies slightly would make logical sense, but would it be good gameplay (if someone mods it I will play it)? At best that's a stopgap until the (hopefully) inevitable complete army overhaul patch/dlc.

Wiki's unreachable for me, is one of the Colossus options already a bio-weapon (kills pops, leaves buildings standing)? If not there should be. Maximum Warcrimes* :colbert:

* he says being squicky about slavery, let alone planetary annihilation...

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

(But is there really a colossus type that would be anything but a different colour or ethic of planet-destroying beam left?)

One that forcibly genemods the planet's population. Make them into horrible mutants or take away their sentience!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ciaphas posted:

Wiki's unreachable for me, is one of the Colossus options already a bio-weapon (kills pops, leaves buildings standing)? If not there should be. Maximum Warcrimes* :colbert:

One of the options is a neutron sweep that just kills off the entire population. I'm not 100% sure if it leaves the buildings though (I've never used it).

If you're driven assimilator there's also a nanobot option that instantly assimilates all the pops.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ciaphas posted:

Bio-weapons? Haha you are like little baby.

One of the Colossi is for Driven Assimilators only, and it releases a nanite plague into the atmosphere that forcibly cyborgizes and assimilates the entire population into the Assimilated Collective.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Bio-weapons? Haha you are like little baby.

One of the Colossi is for Driven Assimilators only, and it releases a nanite plague into the atmosphere that forcibly cyborgizes and assimilates the entire population into the Assimilated Collective.

And if you use it the entire galaxy gets really mad for some reason

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There are three of those, if you don't want to make planets unusable.

The assimilator-only variant.
The neutron sweeper.
The God Ray.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Libluini posted:

There are three of those, if you don't want to make planets unusable.

The assimilator-only variant.
The neutron sweeper.
The God Ray.

The God Ray doesn’t actually make the planet yours, it just turns all the pops Spiritualist. It’s actually meant to be used on your own planets to keep the population righteous, god-fearing types.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

The God Ray doesn’t actually make the planet yours, it just turns all the pops Spiritualist. It’s actually meant to be used on your own planets to keep the population righteous, god-fearing types.

It's also the neutron sweeper for robots, as it destroys them all.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hum, I wonder how well we'll be able to make militaires sans frontiers or better yet Desperado Enforcement LLC in LeGuin. :haw:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 17, 2018

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Getting Fultoned all the way into space. Hold your breath boys and girls!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I can't believe I never thought about using it on my own planets.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

man, spiritualists in this universe are assholes

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thyrork posted:

Hum, I wonder how well we'll be able to make militaires sans frontiers or better yet Desperado Enforcement LLC in LeGuin. :haw:

I'm pretty drat sure I saw a mercenary themed civic for Megacorps, but I don't know what it does.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Stellaris: Really making you appreciate that the Imperium of Man is so incompetent at everything.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

fspades posted:

I'm pretty drat sure I saw a mercenary themed civic for Megacorps, but I don't know what it does.

Nothing really special. Army damage +20% Army Upkeep -20%.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Pylons posted:

Nothing really special. Army damage +20% Army Upkeep -20%.

I'm really hoping they add some sort of military base building for branch offices to that so you can strengthen your allies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bremen posted:

I'm really hoping they add some sort of military base building for branch offices to that so you can strengthen your allies.

There's a mercenary office that gives you some stuff and grants the planet a Soldier job

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bremen posted:

Stellaris: Really making you appreciate that the Imperium of Man is so incompetent at everything.

Stellaris: Backseat driving from the Golden Throne

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bremen posted:

get this heretic outta here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ciaphas posted:

My favourite part of that is that the description of the God Ray implies that it's wielders are fully aware that the religious experiences it imparts are mere hallucinations with no genuine spiritual content.

We'll make them believe, even if we have to trick them into doing so.