Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

mr trump, welcome to the #resistance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

Bannon at Oxford.

I remember when the open sores on his face were photoshopped into these sorts of pictures.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah he was always a liar and a conman who made pisspoor business decisions but he could string a coherent sentence together. he could at least put on a show that he knew what he was talking about.

so how does one get invited to oxford union. because they've had the absolute king of the dullards - dave rubin - there.

well i think back then he was just that a conman and he knew it, sure there was exaggeration and "self made man" bullshit. i think obama and age broke his brain and now he legit believes his own grift.

Ague Proof posted:

Bannon at Oxford.

christ. thats loving bad.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ague Proof posted:

Bannon at Oxford.

He looks like he is actually falling apart

Christ

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Most discussion of democratic opposition to Pelosi as speaker is from conservatives since they know their own base irrationally hates her and the progressive wing of the Dems are highly skeptical of her willingness to implement leftist reforms.

She is great at whipping votes though and Republicans want to divide the Democrats. The conservative media is going to beat the dumb crocodile tears drum as loud as they can, and Trump tweeting his support of her is the first step.

The Progressives got Pelosi to stick a bunch of CPC members onto the committees, which will force them further left and make those investigations a lot more interesting.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Ague Proof posted:

Bannon at Oxford.

Jesus Christ, did someone find his phylactery or something?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The Progressives got Pelosi to stick a bunch of CPC members onto the committees, which will force them further left and make those investigations a lot more interesting.

Actually you'll find she only did a categorically good thing because of political expediency and her increasing aid and leadership roles to congressional progressives while being historically a leftward force in the party is just a machiavellian scheme and so no one should support her.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ague Proof posted:

Bannon at Oxford.

Guess he made the mistake of looking into the Ark

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So do we want Pelosi to win again or not?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Brony Car posted:

Yeah probably, unless anyone can think of someone better.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Stereotype posted:

Yeah probably, unless anyone can think of someone better.

I mean on one hand, yeah, it'd be great to have someone more sympathetic to leftist causes, but on the other, you're right. There isn't really anyone better who would get support.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Bannon at Oxford.

Bannon is aging at a rate usually reserved for the president. Curious.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ague Proof posted:

Bannon at Oxford.

Still sporting double dress shirts for some inexplicable reason.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
You would think the cooler weather would slow down the festering process a little

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
While I think Pelosi is the most likely to gain enough support, it's worth remembering it can be literally anyone.

And there is a non-zero chance they take over as President.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Angry_Ed posted:

Guess he made the mistake of looking into the Ark

His Nazi buddies just told him it was a weekend getaway in the desert... :sigh:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal Name posted:

While I think Pelosi is the most likely to gain enough support, it's worth remembering it can be literally anyone.

And there is a non-zero chance they take over as President.

what happened to Mike Pence?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

BirdOfPlay posted:

Still sporting double dress shirts for some inexplicable reason.

Maybe he thinks he needs to add extra bulk, for some reason?

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Just texted my firefighter brother that they need to rake more

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean on one hand, yeah, it'd be great to have someone more sympathetic to leftist causes, but on the other, you're right. There isn't really anyone better who would get support.

what i'm watching is the other leadership roles and the committees

although the committee chairmanship proposals are lookin' pretty good

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

It is a horrible thankless job that puts an enormous target on your back and requires one to unite a very opinionated and divided caucus to enthusiastically support difficult bills with lots of compromises. I doubt anyone really wants to be speaker and I really highly doubt anyone would be as good at it as she would be. Unless you've been the leader or chairperson of some political entity it's hard to understand just how difficult the job is, especially if you're some upstart nobody who other members think they can push around.

Trump just gave her his Complete And Total Endorsement because he knows how effective she would be and wants to keep the gavel out of her hands, which should be incredibly obvious to everyone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RaySmuckles posted:

Paul Manafort steered Trump directly to Mike Pence's doorstep and rope-a-doped him into picking Pence over every other option that was in Trump's toddler head. And Manafort was 100% dedicated to the Russia con, so that implies Mike Pence is all sorts of dirty too, he's just better at keeping quite about it compared to Trump. I wouldn't be surprised he's impeached in a one-two deal right alongside Trump to root them both out before Pence can pick up the cup and continue the grift right from where Trump left off.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

it refutes your smarm about "you should've changed things in the primary". people tried to change things in the primary, but the dem leadership was far more interested in getting blue dogs in. now we have blue dogs that won't deal with climate change and you're still blaming us.

no, i want the dems to stop rigging their elections for blue dogs that won't address climate change, and I want them to start advocating for climate change policies that might actually work. don't try to pin arguments I haven't made on me idiot.

If you can't win a primary, why the gently caress do you think you can win a general? Here's a tip - how about you spend 1% of the energy you spend screaming about the Dem conspiracy to rig elections and turn the frogs gay, to encourage progressives to get better at campaigning in a primary? How about harassing people who run vanity campaigns to start actually trying to win instead of just inflating their own egos? Telling people who whine they cannot get money to figure out how they CAN get money, and then actually do it?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He wants her to be Speaker because she's already deeply unpopular with Republicans and Independents and it's easier to keep attacking her then to gin up the hate machine for someone different.

Yeah, it'd take them three whole days to make their base hate the new Dem leader as much as they hate Pelosi.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

There is no scenario possible which won't result in this being posted in this thread later because it aged so poorly

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm wondering if Trump will even run with Pence in 2020. He could select Ivanka as his running mate as get the exact same amount of votes.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I was at the protest against the Proud Boy event in Philly today; it ended up being something like 1000 protestors vs 30-40 proud boys and other assorted chuds. They were drowned out by the leftist chants, drumming and tuba player, though at one point I was able to overhear some old guy speaking at their event about how taxes are unconstitutional or something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

RaySmuckles posted:

He's got a date on Stablr.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

he's runnin'

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Brony Car posted:

I say yes. She has her faults, but she's (on balance) a force for good.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

RaySmuckles posted:

If Mueller finds enough dirt to convince a Republican Senate to impeach Trump, there is basically no way Pence isn't also taken down, given that he was the personal choice of a man indicted.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CubanMissile posted:

I'm wondering if Trump will even run with Pence in 2020. He could select Ivanka as his running mate as get the exact same amount of votes.

True. All the moderates who still support him have long since given up pretending they won't support him for any reason, and Evangelicals have basically switched from worshipping Jesus to worshipping Trump. Pence is just baggage at this point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RaySmuckles posted:

I think being third in line is a big deal even if you don't have specific known things that are going to happen to the first two. If trump dies or is impeached then we are one bulging artery wall away from president pelosi. Speaker of the house is a big deal position just for that.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I guess I've never thought about this before, so forgive me if it's a dumb question, but why isn't the the vice presidency a separately electable position? Are there major downsides I'm not considering?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Phobic Nest posted:

He's literally making the first mistake you learn about when reading mystery stories for gradeschoolers, giving away info you shouldn't know, loving Bugs Meany idiocy. Not just Encyclopedia Brown would see through it but the average ten year old who reads such books would. Such a dumbass.

It's been 22 years since I've seen an Encyclopedia Brown reference :hfive:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1063586507053826049

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CubanMissile posted:

I guess I've never thought about this before, so forgive me if it's a dumb question, but why isn't the the vice presidency a separately electable position? Are there major downsides I'm not considering?

technically it still is, but you don't get faithless electors much these days

personally I think we should go back to having the number two presidential vote haver become vice president because that is a sensical proposition with no perverse incentives

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

The Vice President is literally just the Backup President in case anything happens to the guy at the top. In theory they should basically be as similar as possible to ensure a smooth transition and continuity of government should the unthinkable happen. But because the unthinkable has become increasingly unlikely as time has progressed, the political norm has become to pick a Veep that contrasts and enhanced the POTUS in various ways because there's essentially a 0% chance that they will ever need to become President themselves.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

When was the last time a President switched their running mate when running for re-election? It seems like it used to be much more common before ~1950 or so.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

"Flawless execution" is not a phrase that aged well in this context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Paul Manafort steered Trump directly to Mike Pence's doorstep and rope-a-doped him into picking Pence over every other option that was in Trump's toddler head. And Manafort was 100% dedicated to the Russia con, so that implies Mike Pence is all sorts of dirty too, he's just better at keeping quite about it compared to Trump. I wouldn't be surprised he's impeached in a one-two deal right alongside Trump to root them both out before Pence can pick up the cup and continue the grift right from where Trump left off.

huh, didn't know that. i actually assumed pence was chosen because of his relative distance from trump, and as a compromise to retain the fundamentalist right, the latter of which i feel like i've heard from a variety of sources. but hey, i'm just some guy, i don't know everything.

the only thing i would find surprising is a one-two deal because i feel like these sorts of proceedings just take a lot of time and i don't see the trump administration surviving past 2020. but i suppose if the investigation does ever wrap up and charges are brought, and if pence is wrapped up in it too then surely he would also be ousted. it just seems like a lot of ifs to me, but i haven't been keeping a close eye on the investigation (because i think its fruitless/hopeless, the Rs will never impeach trump, even if he's guilty. doesn't the senate make the final vote? i don't remember specifically) so thanks for the info.

Unoriginal Name posted:

If Mueller finds enough dirt to convince a Republican Senate to impeach Trump, there is basically no way Pence isn't also taken down, given that he was the personal choice of a man indicted.

thanks

Fulchrum posted:

If you can't win a primary, why the gently caress do you think you can win a general? ... Telling people who whine they cannot get money to figure out how they CAN get money, and then actually do it?

hmm, i just feel like we all know that money has an inordinate impact on elections and a business friendly, centrist candidate is more likely to be able to accrue the most money? the institutions that would be able to challenge that (unions) seem to have long ago lost their relevance.

sure, bernie could crowdfund his campaign, but that was a much larger pool to draw from and he had considerably more exposure. plus, people are strapped for cash. they could give 27 bucks to bernie but they can't really afford to give 27 bucks to everyone.

it just strikes me as an unfair system because of the reliance on money and obviously institutional power is much better at obtaining and dispersing it.

so saying "well, figure it out!" just sorta strikes me as disingenuous because it seems more like a systemic problem :shrug:

obviously there will always be outliers like AOC but i find it hard to make exceptions become the new rule