Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

For reference about an hour ago I got into a Vault party with a tank who'd pause 30 seconds after a pull and didn't use Overpower until another person explicitly told them what it does. I'dve thought they were a really lovely bot if they didn't actually start using Overpower.

That's a bad tank. That's definitely not you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

pro tip tank is actually easier than dps because your rotation is easier, you have more health and can more easily survive failed mechanics, and most mechanics are for the dps to do anyway

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just pull big and pop rampart you'll be fineeeeeeee

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the worst you're going to get as a tank is when some weirdo types "..." after they die

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Zwingley posted:

I've played SAM and DRK in PvP. Experience as follows:

Bit belated, but thanks for the explanation! That seems like a good way to manage the branching combos.

Failboattootoot posted:

It's not about difficulty, just pressing the same button over and over is boring as gently caress.

I play on controller, I'm already using each button for 4+ different things! Checkmate.

Kidding, of course. I didn't mean to start a detail about it, my bad :v An option would be nice; it's just really frustrating that it's already in the game and I just can't use it outside of PvP.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Question about the Uznair altar. Does the silver elephant button actually do anything or does it always mean "skip to the next button (Atomos)"?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Leofish posted:

Question about the Uznair altar. Does the silver elephant button actually do anything or does it always mean "skip to the next button (Atomos)"?

The elephant button is really rare to actually land on, but what it actually does is spawn an aberration (read: a cute baby elephant monster) who gives you free loot, no fighting required.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Poops Mcgoots posted:

If you're in one of the goon FCs then you can probably just ask someone to throw together some armor real quick. Alternatively, get over your tanxiety since if you don't, your tank will just collect dust. You could also do raids as RDM to start getting tokens while seeing what the fights look like.

I’ll ask when I hit, I’m in Third Party Tools. And it’s mostly caused by me not wanting to let down anyone with bad tanking. I’m doing better at it, I just want to give myself a buffer.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
People think WHM is weak?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BrightWing posted:

People think WHM is weak?

People think a lot of things.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
WHM is the most brokended poo poo ever, and anyone that tells you WHM is weak is either lying, stupid and lying, deluded and lying, malicious and lying, or lying and lying.

WHM's entire niche is to open up a loving hose of healing on people that smooths out mistakes in raid execution better than any other healer. The problem arises when the hardcore raiders poo poo all over WHM because they don't need it, because, surprise, they're good at mechanics and don't die.... so they don't need the massive hose of healing that WHM is, and can instead trade away that margin for AST cards or SCH Chain Strategem.

And then John Q. Pubbie hears "WHM is poo poo" and skips the rest of that statement.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 18, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
WHM is God in 4 mans and trash pulls. In 8 mans it doesn't buff party dps, its level 70 ability is garbage, and Bene is just another tank CD. Most of the big raid wide damage moments require at least some shielding/mitigation which WHM can't really help with. That said, of course you can beat all the content in the game with it and it's the only healer I can wrap my brain around. But WHM is absolutely at a disadvantage at the game's only current hard content and will probably remain so until they release Mythic+ because it's already OP in 4 man content.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 18, 2018

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Lilies really are lousy though. Probably the worst gauge added in the expansion.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

What about the guages that literally just count something that was already there? Like MNK

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

WHM is easier to play then AST but it has lower personal DPS, lower party DPS and Cure 3 isn't nearly as good as Earthly Star and Collective Unconcious. WHM is certainly viable but AST has been massively overbuffed in the last few patches.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
Man I got loving owned last night, I’ve been leveling a gladiator because I want to main a tank instead of my bard as I like the idea of being a tank more, anyway I did the hauke (?) mansion as part of the msq as a 28 gladiator and I died three or four times... was very embarrassing and painful. Party was very nice and weren’t mean to me despite that though.

Anyway I unlocked paladin now and have a few more mechanics so hopefully I will improve. I did some googling on tanking this morning because gently caress that was a painful experience lol.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Time to learn what the heck they mean on Blue Mage. Soon.

Alisaie is seen talking with Maxima.

4.5 has the finale of the Four Lords.
Seiyru - The Wreath of Snakes

They're calling special attention to the handrails, and how fragile they may be.

Blue Mage WILL have Job Quests.

New Instanced Dungeon for MSQ: The Ghimlyt Dark.

Final Chapter of Return of Ivalice:
The Orbonne Monastery.

One of the rewards is this gear.

Completed dog mount set gets you

Eureka finale: Hydatos Expedition.

Suggests it'll be like an open-world raid/dungeon.

New Rival Wings area: The Hidden Gorge.

There's a train going through the middle.

Gold Saucer content:
New content will be explained in the NEXT Live Letter.
New GATE: Air Force One - "You can act like the President of a country"; Air Force mount will be involved on rollercoaster tracks - shooting targets on the course.

New Custom Deliveries client.

World Visit system will be in the later part of 4.5 patches.
RESTRICTIONS:
-Cannot hire or summon retainers
-Items cannot be put up for sale in the markets (you can view and PURCHASE items)
-Estate plots and apartments cannot be purchased (areas are accessible)
-Most Free Company features cannot be accessed (chat is still available)
-Linkshells are not available (cross-world linkshells are unaffected)
-Eternal Bonding ceremonies cannot be scheduled or attended
-The Moogle Delivery Service cannot be accessed (you'll still get notifications of new messages)
-Unspoiled and Legendary gathering points cannot be utilized
-Tickets for Jumbo Cactpot cannot be purchased
-Lord of Verminion and Triple Triad tournaments cannot be entered

Data Center expansion:
North America and Europe
-NA Crystal (joining Aether and Primal)
-EU Light (joining Chaos)

WORLDS ARE BEING REDISTRIBUTED ACROSS DATA CENTERS

Redistribution will take place over two weeks, during which players on affected data centers may freely use World Transfer.
If you transfer:
Max gil to take along is 999,999,999.
Estate owners will be reimbursed 100% of the purchase price and 3,000,000 gil for furnishings lost in the move.
Apartment owners will be reimbursed 500,000 gil for the purchase price and 500,000 gil for furnishings lost in the move.

Part Two of the stream:

BLUE MAGE
Just leveling will not give you the actions you need - you have to learn them from monsters.
You have to SEE the actions, but you do not have to be HIT by them.
Can be learned through combat, special rewards, and other means, but not leveling.
Blue Magic uses MP
49 unique abilities on release, more to come. Hovering over blank spaces won't show you what the ability is, but will give a hint on where the enemy is located.

-The First "Limited Job"
-No Base Class
-Starts at Level 1
-Level Cap at 50 for 4.5 (to be raised in future patches)
-New Job Quests Added on Release
-Uses Ranged Magic DPS Gear and Role Actions

Unlocking
-Must have a Disciple of War or Magic at level 50
-2.0 Main Scenario Quests Completed
-No Expansions Required

-WHAT IS A LIMITED JOB
-Designed for Solo Play
-Not Suited for Parties
Inaccessible Duties:
-Duties requiring matchmaking
-Duty Roulette
-PVP Content
-Deep Dungeon
(Possible others not listed)

Leveling:
Defeating Monsters in public areas
By forming parties and undertaking instanced duties
-Because roulettes are not accessible, public area EXP gain is boosted

Possible future Limited Jobs: Beastmaster, Puppetmaster.

While Blue Mages can learn abilities while in parties, the Masked Carnivale can only be accessed by solo Blue Mages.
The Masked Carnivale is like an arena that opens up at level 50 that you need to use your learned actions to exploit weaknesses.
25 different sets of 3-round stages.

Mighty Guard limit break will be renamed.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 18, 2018

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I haven't played this in a while, I got both expansions but am still in the Dragon Expansion story wise.

I heard rumors of a gunblade tank class?

If i started playing, would I finish the story in time to get a sweet gunblade?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Exmond posted:

I haven't played this in a while, I got both expansions but am still in the Dragon Expansion story wise.

Gunblade won't be out until June, so absolutely.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Exmond posted:

You’ve got till Summer 2019 to get ready for Storm BloodShadow Bringers to come out and enact your Squall fantasies.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Exmond posted:

Most likely, the expansion stories aren't as gently caress-off long as the post-ARR stuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Either way, if they do them like the SB jobs you won't need to be caught up with the story. If they start at 60 maybe they'll be in ishgard or something idk

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

WHM is the most brokended poo poo ever, and anyone that tells you WHM is weak is either lying, stupid and lying, deluded and lying, malicious and lying, or lying and lying.

WHM's entire niche is to open up a loving hose of healing on people that smooths out mistakes in raid execution better than any other healer. The problem arises when the hardcore raiders poo poo all over WHM because they don't need it, because, surprise, they're good at mechanics and don't die.... so they don't need the massive hose of healing that WHM is, and can instead trade away that margin for AST cards or SCH Chain Strategem.

And then John Q. Pubbie hears "WHM is poo poo" and skips the rest of that statement.

The reason WHM isn’t as desired for savage is it beings lower DPS to the table and mechanics in savage just loving murder you outright or slap your wrist with a vuln and kill you if you gently caress up again.

The hose of healing doesn’t matter if people eat mechanics, and scholar/astrologian can cover the required healing just fine, so WHM is the least desirable of the healers.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The hose of healing also relies on people standing within 6 yalms of eachother, and good luck with that in pub content.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So when you teleport to other servers via world visit, you can't access your retainers but you CAN buy things from the mb. This will surely cause no issues on smaller, newer servers!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Buy cheap off world, sell high back home. First thing I thought.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm glad for this lengthy discussion on the world visiting stuff, it's giving me time to make something nice to eat in preparation for the blue mage stuff.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

30 minutes to explain basic stuff. Impressive.

Also RIP Balmung.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well this is gonna gently caress me up since everybody else in my static is going to get dumped on Crystal :v:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I breathed a pretty big sigh of relief knowing Ultros is remaining in Primal and not going in Crystal with Balmung.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Fat_Cow posted:

30 minutes to explain basic stuff. Impressive.

Also RIP Balmung.

Language retranslation doubles time

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Nice, I think that means I can transfer off Siren and on to Excalibur for free.

Edit: And I'm going to make a 400k gil profit on my lovely sub 100k furnishings in my apartment.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Nice, I think that means I can transfer off Siren and on to Excalibur for free.

Edit: And I'm going to make a 400k gil profit on my lovely sub 100k furnishings in my apartment.

Hey Siren buddy. I'm looking forward to finally getting out of this trashpile too.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Time to get hosed if I play Blue Mage I guess, a literal minigame class.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Well this is gonna gently caress me up since everybody else in my static is going to get dumped on Crystal :v:

Same, my entire static is on Malboro except me :(

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

RIP BLU.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
A party would just slow them down.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?