Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've got a fake drawer cover that is broken, the tab that keeps it in place (thanks previous homeowner for cleverly hiding it). Where would I go to get a replacement.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

What's a good way to fake natural daylight? I've got a room with only one window, and it faces west, so it gets almost no light in the mornings, but running all of my regular lamps in there makes it feel like it's always night time. I can't add a skylight or another window, so I think lamps and maybe a big mirror are my only options. Is there any difference between sticking a 5000k bulb in a regular lamp vs. one of those "light therapy" daylight lamps? Are they a good substitute for natural light? Right now I have 2700k CFL bulbs in most of the sockets in that room. Any brands/styles to avoid?

I don't mind manually turning it on and off as the day goes on, so I haven't looked at any of the automated or smart bulb options, but if there are any I should consider, let me know.

Try the daylight bulbs. They're 5000K-6500K. You could try grow lamps too I suppose.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Try the daylight bulbs. They're 5000K-6500K. You could try grow lamps too I suppose.

Just make sure it isn't a UV emitting one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Medullah posted:

I've got a fake drawer cover that is broken, the tab that keeps it in place (thanks previous homeowner for cleverly hiding it). Where would I go to get a replacement.

Tenn-tex False Front Clip Set of 2 for One Front https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0170TRWWW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QSp6Bb904HFHW

Or Lowe's or most hardware stores if you want to find it locally.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Lester Shy posted:

What's a good way to fake natural daylight? I've got a room with only one window, and it faces west, so it gets almost no light in the mornings, but running all of my regular lamps in there makes it feel like it's always night time. I can't add a skylight or another window, so I think lamps and maybe a big mirror are my only options. Is there any difference between sticking a 5000k bulb in a regular lamp vs. one of those "light therapy" daylight lamps? Are they a good substitute for natural light? Right now I have 2700k CFL bulbs in most of the sockets in that room. Any brands/styles to avoid?

I don't mind manually turning it on and off as the day goes on, so I haven't looked at any of the automated or smart bulb options, but if there are any I should consider, let me know.

I quite like the Philips Hue color LED smart lights. They're easy to set up and program and they are very good at imitating natural light. They are a bit costly, around $100 for a single room starter kit, but once you have the controller you can easily add bulbs for less than $40 per light.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Lester Shy posted:

I like these. Adjustable color temp so you can dial it in just right. Cheaper than the Hues too.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Dimmable-Equivalent-Assistant-LB120

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lights got me thinking - does anyone have outdoor string lights they really like and can recommend?

e: Thought this was the general home ownership thread :doh:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm going to go against the grain here for the person with the dreary, always night time room: don't bother with light color as much as just doubling, tripling, quadrupling the amount of lumen being output in the room.

It's depressing there because it's dark. Fix that.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Wasn't sure where to ask this, but I'm baffled. My washing machine fixed itself (??)

My washing machine stopped spinning a few months ago. You could hear the mechanism working, there was no rattling/ratcheting sound, but the tub would not spin. I've been doing big loads elsewhere, just being lazy in looking into the problem.

I've also been doing very small loads with the broken machine - I just had to wring out whatever I put in there before drying. After months of doing this, the other day I looked in there to starting wringing things out, but the tub had spun. My clothes were up against the side and relatively dry. I've been doing bigger and bigger loads since, and it's worked every time.

I can't figure out, or find on google, an explanation for this, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. My two top theories are that something was caught in there stopping the spinning, and it just finally broke free, or that someone broke into my house and fixed it. Any ideas?

Edit: vvv :psyduck:

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 14, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm going to go against the grain here for the person with the dreary, always night time room: don't bother with light color as much as just doubling, tripling, quadrupling the amount of lumen being output in the room.

It's depressing there because it's dark. Fix that.

Do both, 2700k is horribly orange after you get some 4500k bulbs in, then you double the lumens and realise how horrible lighting is everywhere you go all the time.

Captain Lavender posted:

I can't figure out, or find on google, an explanation for this, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. My two top theories are that something was caught in there stopping the spinning, and it just finally broke free, or that someone broke into my house and fixed it. Any ideas?

You have elves, leave out milk and cookies.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Good evening. I recently moved to an apartment which has a natural gas fireplace, that is turned on and off via a switch on the wall. Tonight, for the first time, I got the gas going and turned the thing on and off.

Please explain to me how to know I won't die in a horrible gas explosion. I've never lived in a home with gas appliances before. I'm frightened by the way this thing hisses all the time and also burns at the flick of a switch.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

FBS posted:

Good evening. I recently moved to an apartment which has a natural gas fireplace, that is turned on and off via a switch on the wall. Tonight, for the first time, I got the gas going and turned the thing on and off.

Please explain to me how to know I won't die in a horrible gas explosion. I've never lived in a home with gas appliances before. I'm frightened by the way this thing hisses all the time and also burns at the flick of a switch.

You will really smell the gas way before its dense enough to be explosive. Waaaaay before.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That said, it's worth learning where the apartment's gas cutoff is. I assume there is one; houses have to have one in case something damages the gas pipes inside. If you smell gas (or rather, smell the mercaptan that the gas is mixed with), you shut off gas to the entire area, evacuate, and wait for the gas to dissipate.

(Or more realistically, you figure out which appliance you left on, shut that off, open the windows, and set up a fan to create a crossbreeze, but the above protocol is the standard for ensuring safety)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

You could get a little battery powered carbon monoxide detector and mount it to your wall pretty easily.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A modern gas fireplace may already have a CO detector. Also something that shuts off gas supply if exhaust gasses overheat. Also a thermocouple that will cut off gas supply if the fire goes out.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

You could get a little battery powered carbon monoxide detector and mount it to your wall pretty easily.

Plug-into-outlet ones are easier, often times carbon monoxide starts low and rises and if the detector is mounted high up it could be too late

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That said, it's worth learning where the apartment's gas cutoff is. I assume there is one; houses have to have one in case something damages the gas pipes inside. If you smell gas (or rather, smell the mercaptan that the gas is mixed with), you shut off gas to the entire area, evacuate, and wait for the gas to dissipate.

(Or more realistically, you figure out which appliance you left on, shut that off, open the windows, and set up a fan to create a crossbreeze, but the above protocol is the standard for ensuring safety)

I've never had an apartment that had a gas shutoff for the entire place. It's usually buried in a utility room somewhere where you don't have access.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FBS posted:

It's called renters insurance and it's probably nearly free with your auto insurance.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

FBS posted:

Good evening. I recently moved to an apartment which has a natural gas fireplace, ... Please explain to me how to know I won't die in a horrible gas explosion.

If it's just a gas fireplace, don't worry about it. If you have a gas range then I'd start to worry, not for what you might fuckup but for what your fellow tenants might fuckup. You're probably far more likely to die in a gas explosion or suffocate in your sleep that was caused by the idiot upstairs with the busted igniter and whose nose doesn't work anymore after years of exposure to cigarettes or cat pee.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just moved into a new house about two weeks ago, and am settling in and getting used to it.

However, I'm going nuts because there is an intermitten sound like a clock ticking, or maybe a light switch being turned off and on. It seems to be coming from within the walls or ceiling around my kitchen area, in this circled area.

At first I thought it might be water dripping somewhere, but it seems too loud for that. Maybe it's just sounds of the house, but it's just constant and loud enough that it's turning into some Tell-Tale Heart level poo poo for me.

House was built in 1999 and home inspection didn't find anything unusual, but it's just enough that it's freaking me out a bit.

Any ideas?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Medullah posted:

I just moved into a new house about two weeks ago, and am settling in and getting used to it.

However, I'm going nuts because there is an intermitten sound like a clock ticking, or maybe a light switch being turned off and on. It seems to be coming from within the walls or ceiling around my kitchen area, in this circled area.

At first I thought it might be water dripping somewhere, but it seems too loud for that. Maybe it's just sounds of the house, but it's just constant and loud enough that it's turning into some Tell-Tale Heart level poo poo for me.

House was built in 1999 and home inspection didn't find anything unusual, but it's just enough that it's freaking me out a bit.

Any ideas?

Does it still happen if you turn off all of the lights and wait?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kid sinister posted:

Does it still happen if you turn off all of the lights and wait?

Well I just sat here in the dark staring at a wall for 5 minutes like the Blair Witch Project and didn't hear the sound once. So it seems that's a no - but I swear it's happened as I lay in bed when all the lights were off.

EDIT - Laid in bed for about 20 minutes and didn't hear it once, furnace kicked on for a minute and now it's knocking away.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 18, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Audio (video of dark room) of the knocking sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtVCkPKiDus

Medullah fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 18, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Well, the good news is that that doesn't sound like an electrical arc. I think. So your house probably isn't going to burn down! If it's associated with the furnace, then it could be something in the...poo poo, I forgot the word, the pipes the hot air goes through. Anyway, there might be something dangling in there and getting knocked around by the air. Failing that, it could be thermal expansion/contraction, I guess, though I wouldn't expect that to be periodic. You could rule out thermal expansion by running your furnace fan-only; if the sound still happens, then it's just from the air blowing around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Well, the good news is that that doesn't sound like an electrical arc. I think. So your house probably isn't going to burn down! If it's associated with the furnace, then it could be something in the...poo poo, I forgot the word, the pipes the hot air goes through. Anyway, there might be something dangling in there and getting knocked around by the air. Failing that, it could be thermal expansion/contraction, I guess, though I wouldn't expect that to be periodic. You could rule out thermal expansion by running your furnace fan-only; if the sound still happens, then it's just from the air blowing around.

Yeah I was wondering about expansion the other day, it just seems so specific and the same every time.

I'm just glad I caught the sound and others can hear it because I thought I might be going nuts. This is what I get for watching Haunting of Hill House then moving into a new place.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any ideas for attaching Christmas lights directly to stucco? I tried hot glue last year, but the sun warmed it up too much and it lost its hold.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Any ideas for attaching Christmas lights directly to stucco? I tried hot glue last year, but the sun warmed it up too much and it lost its hold.

Spray adhesive?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FogHelmut posted:

Do you own the place, or is it a rental?

If you own, install stainless-steel screw hooks & leave them in all year round; they really aren't noticeable. Drill the hole in the stucco coat a little larger to allow for thermal expansion, & use a dot of clear silicone to seal.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

PremiumSupport posted:

As the door operates smoothly without the opener I'd be looking at the opener as the problem. If you can, detach the trolley from the opener and make sure that it slides smoothly along its track, also make sure the sprockets (I'm assuming it's a chain drive) are in good shape, properly lubed, and not binding.

After a few weeks of use after lubing the chain I'm happy to report the problem has gone away and the door operates a lot smoother now. Thanks for the $5 fix.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'd like to string some Christmas lights up on the wooden picket fence around my house. However, I have a gate/door separating a piece of the fence and want the door to open freely without having some lights tangled/in the way.

Layout is like so:

=========== STREET
------\ ------------- FENCE/DOOR (gate opens to street)
xxxxxxxxxxxx HOUSE

How would I do this? Only way I can think of is running 2 sets of lights, with both sets meeting at the gate. Is there a better way?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Short of burying conduit or putting up a festive winter archway over the path, I think you're looking at two strands.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Any ideas?

I can’t see from the pic but is your sink/dishwasher on that wall? A lot of the times the vent pipes that run up the wall will be run through small openings and when the pipe gets hot from hot water it expands and makes a popping or clicking sound in the wall.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

armorer posted:

Short of burying conduit or putting up a festive winter archway over the path, I think you're looking at two strands.

Just string them directly across the gap, it's a holiday limbo!

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

I had the same issue in my house, though the ticking was in the basement, and only in the hot water pipe. That’s what happens when you have plastic (CPVC) pipes running through tight plastic retainers and a call for hot water causes the whole run to expand ever so slightly in length.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Cross post from the wire thread. Not sure which is the right place for this but I need halp.

I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on with my system. I'm trying to use my heater for the first time since I installed a new thermostat and it seems to just be turning the AC on. I think my heater is either just ancient and I shouldn't have upgraded or I have it wired incorrectly.

On my old thermostat it was wired exactly like this, but I'm realizing now the W/aux connection should have a white wire, and I do not know what the hell the brown wire is because I can't find any wiring diagrams with a brown wire. I have a suspicion it should go into the O or B terminals but not sure. I believe the heater is a water boiler but also not sure on that. I live in a condo and the only things I can physically see are the AC unit outside, the blower fan where I install the air filters, and my water boiler.

Any help or guidance would be tremendous.

Thanks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bleh Maestro posted:

Cross post from the wire thread. Not sure which is the right place for this but I need halp.

I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on with my system. I'm trying to use my heater for the first time since I installed a new thermostat and it seems to just be turning the AC on. I think my heater is either just ancient and I shouldn't have upgraded or I have it wired incorrectly.

On my old thermostat it was wired exactly like this, but I'm realizing now the W/aux connection should have a white wire, and I do not know what the hell the brown wire is because I can't find any wiring diagrams with a brown wire. I have a suspicion it should go into the O or B terminals but not sure. I believe the heater is a water boiler but also not sure on that. I live in a condo and the only things I can physically see are the AC unit outside, the blower fan where I install the air filters, and my water boiler.

Any help or guidance would be tremendous.

Thanks!

W is heat. Bridge that bridge that brown wire to the red wire. Does the heat come on? If so, your thermostat is messed up or was programmed incorrectly, because if brown is heat you have it in the right place.

When you set the thermostat to AC does the AC come on (for sure - check the compressor outside) or is it just blowing air with the fan? When you set it to fan does the fan come on?

If you can't see your heating unit it's entirely possible it's broken and simply not turning on to produce heat if these tests work.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Motronic posted:

W is heat. Bridge that bridge that brown wire to the red wire. Does the heat come on? If so, your thermostat is messed up or was programmed incorrectly, because if brown is heat you have it in the right place.

When you set the thermostat to AC does the AC come on (for sure - check the compressor outside) or is it just blowing air with the fan? When you set it to fan does the fan come on?

If you can't see your heating unit it's entirely possible it's broken and simply not turning on to produce heat if these tests work.

I installed the thermostat in the summer (Arizona) so I know the AC definitely works and it’s turning on my AC unit outside when I try to turn the heat on it with it wired this way.

I guess it’s probably wired correctly in that case because that’s how it was on my old unit. It sounds like I’ll have to investigate the heater.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I suspect that you have a heat pump tstat installed on a straight AC system with another heat source. Especially since your AC was working without the reversing valve working (O).

Try removing the yellow wire and put the brown on the Y terminal and see if the heat kicks on.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

angryrobots posted:

I suspect that you have a heat pump tstat installed on a straight AC system with another heat source. Especially since your AC was working without the reversing valve working (O).

Try removing the yellow wire and put the brown on the Y terminal and see if the heat kicks on.

Ok, this worked. The heat came on. Obviously not a permanent solution. Does this mean the tstat is incompatible?

https://www.honeywellhome.com/m/en/products/thermostat/5-2-day-programmable-thermostat-rth2300b1012

That’s my thermostat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well, the W terminal SHOULD have been kicking on the heat. Are you sure that when you tried to turn the heat on before, it wasn't running the heat and AC at the same time?

Cause if so, I think you can put the yellow wire on the O terminal, and leave the brown on W and it should work.