Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oh no blimp issue posted:

GUN is a healer where you shoot people to make them better

Don't get my hopes up like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

To make this comparable to the Blizzcon announcement, they'd have to have said "Blue Mage is only accessible via the FFXIV Companion app". It kinda sucks but at least it's a different form of content you can play on a platform that people actually want to play it on.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I would rather have Blu Mage be a DPS class with a bunch of weird monster-themed abilities (or maybe even a weird mage-tank, that'd be sick) and be usable without having to manually assemble a group to do anything instead of what it is now, but it's not that big of a deal I guess. I'm not mad about it, just disappointed, because I was really looking forward to playing a Blu Mage but I'll just focus on being a bunny-man gun-dude instead.

Also,

Captain Cappy posted:

Japan does not care about Blu people.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

dreffen posted:

Everything is a slap in the face to a gamer.

Equal and all bad.

Won't someone think of the gamers?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Vermain posted:

I could see them eventually opening it up to be a "regular" job in the future that isn't level cap restricted come next expac, but I think they're understandably cautious about immediately launching out of the gate with what well could be an insane balancing nightmare. Probably better to take it slow instead of having to dash people's dreams by kneecapping them after it's been put out into the wild.

goons talking themselves into hope in real time

BLU is a minigame, the sooner you accept that the better off you will be

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Quite happy with the BLU details reveal as long as the overall game remains at least as accessible as it is now, and I don't have a specific reason to believe that'll change. A self-contained grind is a smart place for RNG and the potential for bad/blind choices (until everything's charted) - like, it targets grognard thirst for weird Eureka-level poo poo without affecting the core experience.

I think it's an inspired idea.

(also Immortal is okay and quote unquote Gamers are awful people)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah at this point you're either hyped for Blu or you're not, no use in tricking yourself into possibly being hyped for the same thing later.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
again, the large majority of players dont see everything that isn't endgame content as "a minigame". goons imagining this diablo-level backlash is lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

again, the large majority of players dont see everything that isn't endgame content as "a minigame". goons imagining this diablo-level backlash is lol

Just one goon and he's being made fun of

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really I think the reaction wouldn't have been like this if it was Beastmaster or something. I'm not sure it's so much that people are hostile to the idea of "solo jobs" that are basically their own minigames--I think it's just that it's the legendary Blue Mage that they're doing this with first. I think there's a perception that Blue Mage is being "wasted."

The designers had a choice: they could create a job that tried to capture the spirit and aesthetics of the Blue Mage but squeezed into the FFXIV mold (which they did, very successfully, with Red Mage, I think), or they could remain true to the oddball mechanics of it and accept that it's just not going to work in the tightly-tuned endgame group content that every other job is designed to work in. Maybe it's just that Blue Mage is so distinct and so weird in all of its appearances, much more so than Red Mage is, that simplifying it to work as a relatively standard DPS or tank job would be going too far. I don't know that I agree--I think a lot could be done with what the abilities look like and the job quests you do to get them--but clearly that's the choice they made.

If nothing else, I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm mostly disappointed in not being able to hop into Duty Finder, I don't really care about end-game level raiding or doing deep dives with the class.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly my only concern at this point is how many different Masked Carnivale fights there will be and what kind of rewards it'll give

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

isk posted:

Quite happy with the BLU details reveal as long as the overall game remains at least as accessible as it is now, and I don't have a specific reason to believe that'll change. A self-contained grind is a smart place for RNG and the potential for bad/blind choices (until everything's charted) - like, it targets grognard thirst for weird Eureka-level poo poo without affecting the core experience.

I think it's an inspired idea.

(also Immortal is okay and quote unquote Gamers are awful people)

Immortal is going most likely going to have some terrible P2W stuff since NetEase is developing it. They have a terrible reputation even in china for that.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Blockhouse posted:

Honestly my only concern at this point is how many different Masked Carnivale fights there will be and what kind of rewards it'll give

Hopefully lots of glams

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Harrow posted:

Really I think the reaction wouldn't have been like this if it was Beastmaster or something. I'm not sure it's so much that people are hostile to the idea of "solo jobs" that are basically their own minigames--I think it's just that it's the legendary Blue Mage that they're doing this with first. I think there's a perception that Blue Mage is being "wasted."

The designers had a choice: they could create a job that tried to capture the spirit and aesthetics of the Blue Mage but squeezed into the FFXIV mold (which they did, very successfully, with Red Mage, I think), or they could remain true to the oddball mechanics of it and accept that it's just not going to work in the tightly-tuned endgame group content that every other job is designed to work in. Maybe it's just that Blue Mage is so distinct and so weird in all of its appearances, much more so than Red Mage is, that simplifying it to work as a relatively standard DPS or tank job would be going too far. I don't know that I agree--I think a lot could be done with what the abilities look like and the job quests you do to get them--but clearly that's the choice they made.

actually the designers had a third choice in that they could have not done Blu Mage at all and put work into a different class, but I'm waiting to see how this all pans out as well. I feel like this idea of a solo-focused class that had a ton of abilities that messes with its role and functionality to such a degree that it's not allowed to use Duty Finder would have worked a lot better with, say Onion Knight.

I wanna play Onion Knight

e: I also feel like they could still do all the weird ability poo poo they're doing and still let Blu access random queues and deep dives if they did something like made Death not work on bosses (or just had it do a bunch of damage) and maybe you can only queue for content in the level range that you know the abilities of. Still gets people out into the world and into custom groups to get your abilities, but it doesn't lock you out of Duty Finder.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 18, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
BLU being a weirdo side job thing means I will probably be maining the Gunblade tank for Shadowbringers so I need to learn how to tank level 60-70 stuff so I can run it a thousand times in the pre-order early access period.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ohtsam posted:

Immortal is going most likely going to have some terrible P2W stuff since NetEase is developing it. They have a terrible reputation even in china for that.

They sure do. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a P2W system for Immortal in certain markets, but given how protective Blizzard is of their brands, expecting a better business model in the west wouldn't be the worst toxx.

Anyway, that's another ball of wax.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm mostly disappointed in not being able to hop into Duty Finder, I don't really care about end-game level raiding or doing deep dives with the class.

Well if you can go into regular content with a full premade as they stated, then I don't see why you couldn't run LLDR or EXDR etc with 3 friends/FC members on ur BLU, just like how currently it bypasses any class restrictions or group composition as long as you're in a full premade party.
Least from how I understand it, you just can't into random parties but other then that all content is available long as you have a party for it?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

BLU being a weirdo side job thing means I will probably be maining the Gunblade tank for Shadowbringers so I need to learn how to tank level 60-70 stuff so I can run it a thousand times in the pre-order early access period.

lmao if you think Raubahn Savage won't repeat itself and the only content that works is FATES.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Didn't give a single poo poo about blu before fanfest, now I am actually pretty excited, with some caveats. If the solo duty content is good, then I am way on board. Still worried that their top billing go get exp method was "grind monsters." My immediate knee jerk reaction to rare to gain abilities was also horror. But as it is, I am way more excited for this than I would have been for another ranged dps I wouldn't play after level capping it.

Edit: I still think that broadly this is an insanely stupid move on SE's part, but at least it's something that pleases me for once, which hasn't happened in quite a long series of announcements.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gently caress Blu give me Calculator

I want to destroy goblins with the power of knowing how tall they are

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Cappy posted:

lmao if you think Raubahn Savage won't repeat itself and the only content that works is FATES.

hey, perfect time to level BLU then

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Choyi posted:

Well if you can go into regular content with a full premade as they stated, then I don't see why you couldn't run LLDR or EXDR etc with 3 friends/FC members on ur BLU, just like how currently it bypasses any class restrictions or group composition as long as you're in a full premade party.
Least from how I understand it, you just can't into random parties but other then that all content is available long as you have a party for it?

I feel like this "just get a premade" solution kind of ignores why matchmaking is a thing in the first place.

Babe Magnet posted:

Also, this. If we're going to get weird, let's get really weird.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Babe Magnet posted:

This would never be overpowered according to my experiences in ridorana lighthouse

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

I think part of it is that blue mage in final fantasy doesn't really have a coherent identity to it, like the whole deal is they have a big hodgepodge of mostly useless skills they learn from monsters. Its always been a progression gimmick, its never had like a specific style of play, and that worked fine in a game like FF11. FF14's whole thing though is that each job is a distillation of that job's concept into a handful of buttons built around a core idea.

Red mage is a little similar in that its whole deal traditionally is that it has a mix of the white and black spell lists, which in this game is distilled down into "oh yeah balance, you have to balance the two halves of your buttons". Black mage's distillation is "you can cast real big magic but then you have to rest and recharge". Blue mage doesn't really have anything to build from, so people would just be pissed off instead about it being a generic DPS job that just happens to cast bad breath.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Cabbit posted:

I feel like this "just get a premade" solution kind of ignores why matchmaking is a thing in the first place.

It was just a response to the "well BLU sounds alright but I'm bummed I'll never be able to take it to EXDR, o8N or Thordad".

And since we don't really know how BLU mechanics and spells are going to be working yet, maybe this is the way to not get the people who didn't grind a special NM in the final Eureka for "Mighty Guard" harassed or kicked out of parties?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I feel like the only people who get to be really truly disappointed in how Blu Mage turned out, instead of this hype-killed disappoinment that will fade away the second we see Humans With Bunny Ears or Squall: The Class is people who mained Blu Mage in FF11. That's got to be rough lol

Choyi posted:

It was just a response to the "well BLU sounds alright but I'm bummed I'll never be able to take it to EXDR, o8N or Thordad".

are we using different duty finders because uhhhh I usually see a lot more dungeons and trials and raids than those three when I queue up for it

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

are we using different duty finders because uhhhh I usually see a lot more dungeons and trials and raids than those three when I queue up for it

I'm sorry, I figured my three examples would suffice rather then to painstakingly write down every single party content in the entire game.

And anyone who mained BLU in f11 should be disappointed by the lack of curved swords and badass AF more then anything else revealed so far.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I really dislike the matchmaking restriction with BLU.

I don't want to have to beg people to go into content.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

so your point was that I thought BLU sounds alright but I'm bummed that I can't take it into every single piece of party content in the entire game lol

Duty Finder isn't just to do the content, it's to make doing the content convenient and easy. I don't have to drag other people into Brayflox for their thirty thousandth run, I can just hop in with some randos leveling some poo poo or trying to farm up the Cavalry set without having to port between all the major cities spamming LFG or pull guildies away from doing actual expansion content and progression

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it does make a lot of sense that the original weird gimmick FF job is now a weird gimmick job once again

now if only like five of its 49 spells are good that's even more consistent

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm kind of on board with it. I think having a comically absurd job to revisit old content with could be fun, and the idea of potentially doing silly things like turning Nael into a toad or whatever sounds like a good thing to me. It's just some side content, and I guess it's a combat-equivalent to the gathering classes, or a job equivalent to PotD/Eureka. It's not a terrible alternative to the muted BLU we'd have been getting if it turns out to be this mental, OP job that it's always been.

Also, I could understand their reason on the restriction to a degree. Showing up to a duty with limited or the wrong spells could really screw things up for people, or result in Blue Mages getting a bad rep. I'm not sure if it warrants the DF restriction or not though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I still think they should just limit you being able to queue for duty finder stuff depending on the moves you know. Don't know your moves up to level 20? No Halatali for you.

Ya'll better hope there's at least a few standout, good-rear end moves or it's going to be a lot harder getting into Premade content when a group isn't effectively "stuck" with you because they didn't find out you were a BLU until they've already started the dungeon lol.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 18, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Babe Magnet posted:

I still think they should just limit you being able to queue for duty finder stuff depending on the moves you know. Don't know your moves up to level 20? No Halatali for you.

Ya'll better hope there's at least a few standout, good-rear end moves or it's going to be a lot harder getting into Premade content when a group isn't effectively "stuck" with you because they didn't find out you were a BLU until they've already started the dungeon lol

Personally, I'm hoping every blue mage spell is boring and bad, as a joke.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
It's not like most people have mainly been using squadron for leveling sub 50 alt jobs for the last year or anything, beyond the once per day LLDR bonus.
Sure bummed that I can't DPS queue braflox 10 times in a row with randoms for my leveling, that's sure to be fast and fun!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You sure are invested into making sure I'm wrong about being bummed I can't queue into Duty Finder as Blu. Jokes on you though, I chain-queue into lower level dungeons all the time because it lets me collect glamours, crafting materials, and level an new class at the same time.

They'll probably err on the side of making BLU OP though, it would suck if you were a solo-focused class who was also worse than classes that didn't have to put into extra footwork to do group content.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 18, 2018

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Nanamo should have died.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Taledji did nothing wrong

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Choyi posted:

It's not like most people have mainly been using squadron for leveling sub 50 alt jobs for the last year or anything, beyond the once per day LLDR bonus.
Sure bummed that I can't DPS queue braflox 10 times in a row with randoms for my leveling, that's sure to be fast and fun!
Most people who didn't play ARR I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I'm very bummed out about Blue Mage.

I was really hoping that the Garuda ability would be learned from UWU, but they confirmed that you can only learn it from Garuda Extreme or Garuda Hard or Garuda Normal.

Garuda's ability in UWU looks cooler and is more flashy.