Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The problem is that every Blizzard franchise wants to be the one with the Big Epic Story™ because Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo set the precedent of having memorable and involved storylines. Even though Overwatch is very clearly Future WWE and HOTS should basically be Slife Of Life Fanfiction for out of game media, nobody wants to be seen as the "goofy" franchise exception because they want to also be cool kids. I think Hearthstone is the only Blizzard Franchise that has stuck to a lighthearted/non-serious story, but then again I'm not familiar with Hearthstone so I can't be sure.

Kith fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kith posted:

The problem is that every Blizzard franchise wants to be the one with the Big Epic Story™ because Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo set the precedent of having memorable and involved storylines. Even though Overwatch is very clearly Future WWE and HOTS should basically be Slife Of Life Fanfiction, nobody wants to be seen as the "goofy" franchise except because they want to also be cool kids. I think Hearthstone is the only Blizzard Franchise that has stuck to a lighthearted/non-serious story, but then again I'm not familiar with Hearthstone so I can't be sure.

It varies. Some of the Hearthstone expansions have Lore, some are just silly.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

fool_of_sound posted:

It varies. Some of the Hearthstone expansions have Lore, some are just silly.

Even then it varies: the Knights of the Frozen Throne trailer was incredibly well-done and played straight, but the single-player campaign was loving hilarious.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCJq7lE3JQs

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
TF2 was really the high watermark of after the fact lore generation. You’d have to look at that to determine if you do indeed have the chops to write a story

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One Night in Karazhan was the best bit of writing ever in Blizzard, imo. Yes, it's the pretense of poo poo going bad for Medivh, but before that he was a cool as hell Gatsby type laying down a disco party.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So just now in a match with Mephisto, I picked Durance so we could poo poo on people with Malganis (Sleep, Blind as a Bat, Ult) and Orphea (either ult), and the other team had a Cho'Gall, and we were kicking rear end so I figured I'd take the Durance upgrade (3s silence after) because it would really screw Cho'Gall. We're running them down in their base with a boss pushing and I line up a Durance directly at Cho'Gall and Zarya who are standing next to each other, and I nail them both and... nothing happens. I was honestly shocked, there was no way I could have missed, so I checked the replay.

Appppppppparently if your Durance touches anyone who is unstoppable it just does nothing. I mean obviously it makes sense that it doesn't root someone who is unstoppable, but it doesn't spread, it doesn't do damage and it doesn't silence. Cho and Zarya were standing right next to each other, and apparently I hit Zarya's left tit first while she was unstoppable so I just get NOTHING. Ugh.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'll dig up the gif I have of a hanzo arrow that disappeared, literally.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Wrong Place Wrong Time's tooltip implies that you get 5 stacks when you hit any enemy with both axes, but it's only Heroes.

I really wish Blizzard would hire someone to do a pass on HOTS's tooltips. Some of them are a real mess.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kith posted:

Wrong Place Wrong Time's tooltip implies that you get 5 stacks when you hit any enemy with both axes, but it's only Heroes.

I really wish Blizzard would hire someone to do a pass on HOTS's tooltips. Some of them are a real mess.

A...HoTS mess?

Anyway, I just discovered that if you are using Ultimate Evolution when the game ends, the score screen shows your temporary form.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Machai posted:

A...HoTS mess?

it's been a while since i felt physical pain from words

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

These are the worst losses.

Poor Deckard tried his hardest to keep all these jokers alive.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

found it

https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net...d76f84bd0f1.mp4

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

heroes of the mechastorm was the best HOTS trailer imo

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

That's because it was outsourced.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

These are the worst losses.

Poor Deckard tried his hardest to keep all these jokers alive.

I’m not sure which is more ignoble, a tank getting the Escape Artist card or a Genji getting top siege damage and XP

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ninjewtsu posted:

I actually liked the Kel'thuzad trailer which was also a stealth Dreadlord Jaina skin trailer, which I believe was done by the same studio that did the Mechastorm one.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

when the gently caress did reroll prices go up holy poo poo

i am never gonna be able to afford a 10k 12k mount :negative:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kerrzhe posted:

when the gently caress did reroll prices go up holy poo poo

i am never gonna be able to afford a 10k 12k mount :negative:

Reroll price is based on chest rarity.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So suddenly windows borderless mode runs at half frames now. Rebooted and updated driver and it was a little better, but it still has noticeable frame drops over fullscreen. This is a completely new issue for me. I actually noticed this issue first when I played Path of Exile for the first time. It was locked at like 20 fps in borderless, but then I futzed with some settings on the exe file (full screen optimization off, as per a reddit post) and that seemed to fix it. But not really for HotS. I never had any performance issues in HotS with borderless before. And it's weird that I had the same issue in PoE.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

So suddenly windows borderless mode runs at half frames now. Rebooted and updated driver and it was a little better, but it still has noticeable frame drops over fullscreen. This is a completely new issue for me. I actually noticed this issue first when I played Path of Exile for the first time. It was locked at like 20 fps in borderless, but then I futzed with some settings on the exe file (full screen optimization off, as per a reddit post) and that seemed to fix it. But not really for HotS. I never had any performance issues in HotS with borderless before. And it's weird that I had the same issue in PoE.

turn off all your overlays, such as nvidia geforce overlay, discord overlay (enabled by default iirc)

also turn off reverb

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

turn off all your overlays, such as nvidia geforce overlay, discord overlay (enabled by default iirc)

also turn off reverb

Tried the nvidia stuff and I didn't have discord open when the issues started (though I have had it open in the past when things were fine.) Do you mean reverb in the windows sound settings? I don't have reverb on. The only thing I have is custom equalization, which I have always had. :( None of my settings changed from the last time I played that I can think of. Well until I started trying to fix things now.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Reroll price is based on chest rarity.

oh dang. yeah it was an epic chest from hitting level 175. my bad :downs:

i still maintain that im never gonna get that dang fancy goat

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

hey guys i wrote a huge-rear end effortpost about the best duders to take for escape from braxis if you wanna go fast

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Tried the nvidia stuff and I didn't have discord open when the issues started (though I have had it open in the past when things were fine.) Do you mean reverb in the windows sound settings? I don't have reverb on. The only thing I have is custom equalization, which I have always had. :( None of my settings changed from the last time I played that I can think of. Well until I started trying to fix things now.

Reverb in the hots settings. I don't think it's related to your issue but those are just some of the things that impact hots performance so it may help

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lucio is a golden god when playing with strangers, but yeah, I understand why he's not as good when playing as an organized team.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I was conflicted about HOTS lore and Orphea specifically, but after some more thought: gently caress off with your floaty anime girl. Should've done Grand Widow Faerlina or something instead.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mierenneuker posted:

Lucio is a golden god when playing with strangers, but yeah, I understand why he's not as good when playing as an organized team.

Oh yeah I'm 100% a Lucio Apologist when playing with randoms but if your only concern is Going Fast then there are way better options.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Honestly, I don't even think you need sound barrier on Lucio in a Braxis Escape game with randos, the extra second on Amp It Up from Reverse Amp just does so much work in keeping them alive and there isn't enough burst from the computer that I ever felt like I needed the shield. The ult itself is utterly pointless outside of some random damage but the utility is nice.

Back in the Mix is also decent if you get dove by something you can't juke. It might also proc on the boss's zone of silence?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just completed a Mephisto Q quest (hit 40 skull missiles) in two minutes. Two minutes.

The rest of the game went about how you would expect after I completed the Q quest in 2 minutes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSR5qvoWkxI

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

I have recently noticed my FPS in HOTS being much worse. Haven't entirely figured out why, at one point I thought it was the drat Heroesfire site causing it (I keep the talent calculator up). I'll check the Reverb settings etc

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I used to get hard resets but I turned my voltage down a hair and it’s golden now.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Accurate depiction of a player's first time meeting the Butcher.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

It seems like Grubby is going for Warcraft 3 full-time and PallyTime just isn’t enough to scratch the itch on his own, any other decent HotS streamers/youtubers?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Nubkeks? I think he is still a thing?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah Nubkeks,

https://www.youtube.com/user/nubkeks

notparadox

https://www.youtube.com/user/trevman003

and kala are good

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa3fonPFh9I2sa_YiFiBG8Q

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
After grubby and Alex’s disappearances I’ve mostly watched quacknix and trikslyr.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

McIntyre is great, but doesn't keep regular hours

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I was screwing around in VS AI because Mal'ganis was free and came across a neat Enforcer Morales variant:

One of these days I'll pop open CascViewer and see what other hidden skins are floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Dire Human posted:

It seems like Grubby is going for Warcraft 3 full-time and PallyTime just isn’t enough to scratch the itch on his own, any other decent HotS streamers/youtubers?

Leonblack or Marche if you want something chill

Bambam and Mewnfare if you something more "twtich.tv"