Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

angryrobots posted:

Did you cross shop their 40v stuff as well? I'm in the market for a battery powered string trimmer and hedge clipper, and the variety of what they have on the market is confounding. I found one comment somewhere that the 40v stuff was marketed to "professionals" where the 20v was bottom tier homeowner, 60v upper tier.

I'm already invested in DeWalt 20v tools, so the 20/60v equipment seems like an obvious choice, but I'm kinda tough on yard tools and want a quality string trimmer that pays string easily....OTOH the price goes up sharply. I'm tempted to get the cheap 20v stuff and put a better head on it.

IMO if you're looking at more than a simple blower/trimmer for light duty, I'd look at the 56v Ego line instead of the souped up 20v/2x20v offerings from DeWalt, etc.
Yes it's another battery format, but honestly if you're getting a few tools it isn't that big of a deal and I've been generally really happy with the quality/performance I've gotten so far (String Trimmer, Blower, Mower, Power Head w/ Blade Edger).

e: The 56v 15" Ego Standalone Trimmer is the same price as the 20v 13" DeWalt ($179) on Home Depot's website. The Ego Power Head combo (powered shaft with Blade Edger and String Trimmer heads and 5.0 Ah 56v Battery) is $399.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TacoHavoc posted:

Is there a go-to thermal camera recommendation for a home gamer? I bought a house a while back and I'm realizing its going to be cold as gently caress this winter inside if I don't do some insulation work. The engineer in me wants to see before and after to understand how effective the stuff I'm doing is. Am I better off renting something or are one of the flir options that attach to my phone good enough for home use? Or is there a third option I'm not considering?

The add-to-your-phone ones seem to be okayish. If you're willing to up your budget to about $500 you can get a Cat phone: https://www.ebay.com/bhp/cat-phone

I use mine for all kinds of stuff both work related and not.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Home Depot has a bunch of the Ego stuff on sale today. The multi head trimmer with 5ah battery is 249 today. Doesn’t have the extra attachments though

I picked up some of the 60v snapper (greenworks) stuff on clearance at Walmart and it’s fantastic. I use it for light duty typical suburban yard work though. The trimmer is quite nice though.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

TacoHavoc posted:

Is there a go-to thermal camera recommendation for a home gamer? I bought a house a while back and I'm realizing its going to be cold as gently caress this winter inside if I don't do some insulation work. The engineer in me wants to see before and after to understand how effective the stuff I'm doing is. Am I better off renting something or are one of the flir options that attach to my phone good enough for home use? Or is there a third option I'm not considering?

The $200 FLIR one is a cool toy and useful in a pinch, but after using one I realized that the resolution is low enough that it made me want to shell out for the $400 one.

That said, the $400 model completely checks the box of "the engineer in me wants to see" -- it was fascinating for me to turn it on and be able to see things like joists through the ceiling due to thermal bridging, hot/cold columns on the walls due to leaky ductwork, just how bad our attic door is, etc. It's hard to put a dollar value on that, but if you've got a lot of projects you want to tackle and aren't sure where to start it's definitely worth considering.

I also found it useful to nail down the extent of water seepage in the basement when we got like 12" of rain last spring.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
By "$400 model" do you mean this one? It's not clear to me how that one differs from this one, aside from the price difference and the different form factor.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can rent them from home depot for a 4/12/24 hour basis so you might find that to be a better use of your money than buying one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hubis posted:

IMO if you're looking at more than a simple blower/trimmer for light duty, I'd look at the 56v Ego line instead of the souped up 20v/2x20v offerings from DeWalt, etc.
Yes it's another battery format, but honestly if you're getting a few tools it isn't that big of a deal and I've been generally really happy with the quality/performance I've gotten so far (String Trimmer, Blower, Mower, Power Head w/ Blade Edger).

e: The 56v 15" Ego Standalone Trimmer is the same price as the 20v 13" DeWalt ($179) on Home Depot's website. The Ego Power Head combo (powered shaft with Blade Edger and String Trimmer heads a}}})lnd 5.0 Ah 56v Battery) is $399.

I appreciate the reply, that would have been a decent option since I was considering a different battery format anyway, but I found a factory reconditioned 20v string trimmer and hedge clipper for $99 each from my CPOoutlets.com.

I already have a knockoff 5ah battery that works well with the 20v blower I have, probably pick up another of those.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you have a micro USB phone you might be able to pick up a matching flir used from someone who like me upgraded their phone and is now on usb C.

Unrelated but I might have a micro USB flir for sale soon.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

By "$400 model" do you mean this one? It's not clear to me how that one differs from this one, aside from the price difference and the different form factor.

Could be the FLIR One Pro, which is $400.

This Old Tony did a video comparing the C2 and the One Pro recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4uEbYzuYg

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
So is a California the go-to next compressor after a porter cable pancake? Looking for a step up in quality. Am tempted by a step up in quantity too, but I'm really only ever going to use it for nailing, not for shop tools.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Could be the FLIR One Pro, which is $400.

This Old Tony did a video comparing the C2 and the One Pro recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4uEbYzuYg

Yeah sorry, I should have said "FLIR One (tm)" for clarity :v:

I was talking about the FLIR One (Gen 3)vs the FLIR One Pro.

Interestingly, it looks like they've added an in-between model at $300 -- the FLIR One Pro LT. You can find some interesting comparisons between the Pro and the Pro LT on this page.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have been searching all day but I cant seem to find a set of long shank nut drivers except for a $50 Klein set. My main objections to the Klein set are the price (admittedly not too high, but not cheap either), the nut drivers are not color coded, and it has rubber grips when I would prefer just hard plastic that will never break down. I have HF nut drivers which I love but their shank is only 3" and they are not magnetic.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Hubis posted:

Yeah sorry, I should have said "FLIR One (tm)" for clarity :v:

I was talking about the FLIR One (Gen 3)vs the FLIR One Pro.

Interestingly, it looks like they've added an in-between model at $300 -- the FLIR One Pro LT. You can find some interesting comparisons between the Pro and the Pro LT on this page.

The pro lt looks interesting, but I did some further reading. I have a galaxy s9 and it doesn't appear to be compatible with any of the flir usb-c models. I may have to bite the bullet and rent from HD. Maybe that cat phone makes sense now...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

TacoHavoc posted:

The pro lt looks interesting, but I did some further reading. I have a galaxy s9 and it doesn't appear to be compatible with any of the flir usb-c models. I may have to bite the bullet and rent from HD. Maybe that cat phone makes sense now...

I'd almost guarantee that the FLIR One would be compatible with your phone. There are so many Android phones out there that I'm sure that FLIR doesn't really want to acquire and test every single model, but as long as your phone supports USB OTG, and has the required sensors (your Galaxy S9 does) it should work just fine.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

angryrobots posted:

Did you cross shop their 40v stuff as well? I'm in the market for a battery powered string trimmer and hedge clipper, and the variety of what they have on the market is confounding. I found one comment somewhere that the 40v stuff was marketed to "professionals" where the 20v was bottom tier homeowner, 60v upper tier.

I'm already invested in DeWalt 20v tools, so the 20/60v equipment seems like an obvious choice, but I'm kinda tough on yard tools and want a quality string trimmer that pays string easily....OTOH the price goes up sharply. I'm tempted to get the cheap 20v stuff and put a better head on it.

I never really looked into the 40v. I bought this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5YWS3A for my cabin and it does everything I need it too. The length is nice as well, compared to some that are shorter. I can't really comment on the hedge trimmer though. I was insistent on making sure all my batteries work nice together.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

stealie72 posted:

So is a California the go-to next compressor after a porter cable pancake? Looking for a step up in quality. Am tempted by a step up in quantity too, but I'm really only ever going to use it for nailing, not for shop tools.

I’m looking into this right now as well. My 11 year old bostich 4 gallon finally gave up and according to the specs California seems to be the sweet spot of sightly better specs just before the big price jump. I’m looking at the 10-20 gallon range. I’m just not sure about their quality yet.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I have the 4 gallon Bostitch (it's terrific and loud) at home, and a small California air tools at my startup. It's night and day from a volume point of view, and the quality of life improvement cannot be overstated.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I stopped at a small town estate sale at lunchtime today and picked up a Japanese plane for 15 bucks

There where a bunch of little Japanese molding planes and other types too but this one was the only one in good shape.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tim Thomas posted:

I have the 4 gallon Bostitch (it's terrific and loud) at home, and a small California air tools at my startup. It's night and day from a volume point of view, and the quality of life improvement cannot be overstated.

Do you regularly empty the tank at your startup?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TacoHavoc posted:

I have the FLIR one for iOS. Not a huge fan of the app, how it charges (can’t draw power from the device, requires battery charging, uses micro usb, drains down in the drawer). The camera itself works fine for what you want to do and is about the same as the seek.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Everyone should be emptying it when you start using it and when you finish as well. I emptied a tank my friend has and chunky coffee came out. Mine has yet to have any rust in it as I empty it out religiously and usually give it a spray of G96 at the end of every job.

\/ :thumbsup:

Blistex fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 16, 2018

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Religiously.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My coworkers religiously drain the tank, by which I mean only on Easter and Christmas.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Blistex posted:

Everyone should be emptying it when you start using it and when you finish as well. I emptied a tank my friend has and chunky coffee came out. Mine has yet to have any rust in it as I empty it out religiously and usually give it a spray of G96 at the end of every job.

\/ :thumbsup:

Never heard of spraying that into a tank, do you just spray it into the drain after every use?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Platystemon posted:

My coworkers religiously drain the tank, by which I mean only on Easter and Christmas.

Same, except the Mayan End of Days, beginning of New Cycle.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I've got a Parker 272 bench vise that's in great shape, anyone have any idea what it's worth?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

I have the FLIR one for iOS. Not a huge fan of the app, how it charges (can’t draw power from the device, requires battery charging, uses micro usb, drains down in the drawer). The camera itself works fine for what you want to do and is about the same as the seek.

For what it's worth, I use a third party app called Thermal Camera+ and like it a lot more than the bad FLIR One app. That's on Android though - not sure what to recommend for iOS. However, alternatives may be out there for you.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Man, I had a big cottonwood leaner barberchair really hard on me today, I had a good escape route and had tried to plunge cut but to no avail. I was really feeling it too because the tree before I had swung against its lean avoiding a fence that couldn't be moved.

Be careful out there yikes I almost made one of those "chainsaw DON'TS" video. gently caress cottonwoods

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Man, I had a big cottonwood leaner barberchair really hard on me today, I had a good escape route and had tried to plunge cut but to no avail. I was really feeling it too because the tree before I had swung against its lean avoiding a fence that couldn't be moved.

Be careful out there yikes I almost made one of those "chainsaw DON'TS" video. gently caress cottonwoods

I didn't understand a single word of this post.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Now that Craftsman was sold to B&D and is being outsourced, whom should I be buying my hand tools from? Without resorting to putting my children up for collateral with Snap-On I mean.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

They really are vermin plants. Props on living right, being lucky.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

kid sinister posted:

Now that Craftsman was sold to B&D and is being outsourced, whom should I be buying my hand tools from? Without resorting to putting my children up for collateral with Snap-On I mean.

Husky? they're probably chinese, but I had to use a 3' breaker bar with my 3/8" uni ratchet on some brakes yesterday, and it held.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mr. Mambold posted:

Husky? they're probably chinese, but I had to use a 3' breaker bar with my 3/8" uni ratchet on some brakes yesterday, and it held.

Nice! Does anyone still have that lifetime warranty that's worth a drat? Each time I go into a big box store, I don't see individual replacements, only sets of screwdrivers, sockets, etc.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

kid sinister posted:

Nice! Does anyone still have that lifetime warranty that's worth a drat? Each time I go into a big box store, I don't see individual replacements, only sets of screwdrivers, sockets, etc.

I think they and Kobalt are lifetime warrantied and pretty sure you can buy individual tools. One's Home Dept, one's Lowe's. Big box rivalry.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The christmas stuff is out at Home Depot and Lowe's and it all feels pretty underwhelming, unless I've missed something

Anyone get anything decent?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Astonishing Wang posted:

I didn't understand a single word of this post.

Harry Potter on Ice cut down a leaning tree.

The tree “barberchaired”, which means that instead of falling in an orderly fashion, the tree splits and lashes out violently and unpredictably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7H9qWdquk&t=67s

Harry Potter on Ice thought they were doing everything right with this tree and had just felled a challenging tree without incident.

Hairy Potter on Ice almost died and expresses displeasure with trees of the genus Populus.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Harry Potter on Ice cut down a leaning tree.

The tree “barberchaired”, which means that instead of falling in an orderly fashion, the tree splits and lashes out violently and unpredictably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7H9qWdquk&t=67s

Harry Potter on Ice thought they were doing everything right with this tree and had just felled a challenging tree without incident.

Hairy Potter on Ice almost died and expresses displeasure with trees of the genus Populus.

Thank you, that was very helpful :shobon:. I'm always glad to learn new lumberjack terms.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ. :stare:

I think I'll stick to handsaws and/or axes for my tree-felling needs.

EDIT: ...or would that not help at all? It's not the chainsaw that almost killed that guy, it's the tree.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 18, 2018

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Sockser posted:

The christmas stuff is out at Home Depot and Lowe's and it all feels pretty underwhelming, unless I've missed something

Anyone get anything decent?

They told me yesterday the black Friday deals would be advertised tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Honestly Harbor Freight hand tools are pretty decent now, and are lifetime warranty. I've been using a set (that used to be an emergency backup I left in my truck) for a couple months now since I moved houses but not the shop yet and I'm pleasantly surprised.

As I suggest with any other brand: go buy nice ratchets because all of the low cost ones are poo poo. The rest of the stuff is fine.