Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mentioned this earlier, but nobody seemed to notice, so I'm gonna say it again for the cheap seats:

Immortality and Warrior Lodges are completely goddamn busted when combined.

If you are Immortal, and you get to the top of a Warrior Lodge, literally nothing can kill you except assassinations, duels (which you'll probably win), and the suicide option from the Depressed trait. That means you can quite literally take a character from 769 to 1453 without a single speedbump if you get lucky on both of these fronts and have even mildly decent Intrigue and/or Diplomacy scores. As obvious as it may seem when you consider both Immortal and the Hero passive on their own, I'm pretty sure Paradox did not intend for these mechanics to intersect like this.

You might think the balancing factor for this is getting maimed/mangled/Severely Injured or becoming incapable. In theory, that's true. In practice, Immortal makes it very unlikely that the first three will kill you, and gives you a chance to just kinda wake up from the last as a Lunatic but otherwise no worse for wear.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Anyone figured out how the Random Holy sites are spread during a random game? Getting real tired of every religion having their holy sites all over the world.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

becoming the god of death.

what were you expecting to happen?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mentioned this earlier, but nobody seemed to notice, so I'm gonna say it again for the cheap seats:

If you are Immortal, and you get to the top of a Warrior Lodge, literally nothing can kill you except assassinations, duels (which you'll probably win), and the suicide option from the Depressed trait. That means you can quite literally take a character from 769 to 1453 without a single speedbump if you get lucky on both of these fronts and have even mildly decent Intrigue and/or Diplomacy scores. As obvious as it may seem when you consider both Immortal and the Hero passive on their own, I'm pretty sure Paradox did not intend for these mechanics to intersect like this.

You might think the balancing factor for this is getting maimed/mangled/Severely Injured or becoming incapable. In theory, that's true. In practice, Immortal makes it very unlikely that the first three will kill you, and gives you a chance to just kinda wake up from the last as a Lunatic but otherwise no worse for wear.
I mean, if you're immortal you can already avoid death that way just by not commanding troops. This is hardly some massive opportunity that's been opened up.

warhammer651 posted:

Anyone figured out how the Random Holy sites are spread during a random game? Getting real tired of every religion having their holy sites all over the world.
I'm betting...randomly.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, it's a bug/quirk. If you give an unlanded character a full county (including both cities, castles and temples) while the Byzantine/Roman emperor, they become a city vassal instead of feudal. Have to make sure you give them just a castle first to establish the right government type, then you can give them the rest.

Yeah I think they got new graphics I wasn't used to and just didn't notice it was a city.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I united all of Africa and created the empire level title for Kanem bornu but when I did this the succession laws got all screwed up - the empire title was gavelkind but my original title Mansa of Mali was still tribal elder succession. This meant my feudal emperor title and my tribal king title went to different heirs and I had very little recourse. Is this working as intended? Did I screw up somewhere along the way?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I've still seen the AI suggest a doge like that for Emperor

electing them actually permanently turns byzantium into a merchant republic

it's probably not supposed to

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there any new way to acquire artefacts from other landed chars?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

cock hero flux posted:

electing them actually permanently turns byzantium into a merchant republic

it's probably not supposed to

It might, RE: the fourth crusade

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Strudel Man posted:

I mean, if you're immortal you can already avoid death that way just by not commanding troops. This is hardly some massive opportunity that's been opened up.

Counterpoint:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The only reason I haven't eaten Italy in this game is because they responded to my GHW attempt on them by going "OH poo poo" and immediately converting to Germanic and becoming Friends of Fylkir Sonic

And I did this with gavelkind

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't have the DLC, but I thought I'd do a quick little game for one of the new vanilla features that nobody's talked about.

Of course, it'd be even better if I could make a really swank crown to commemorate the occasion, but it's still nice. It's also really nice that the papal claim system finally just works, so I didn't have to wait a long time trying to fabricate and claim province by province. I just asked him, "Hey, can you do me a solid and lemme have a claim to this duchy? Also here's some of that 2,800 gold I grabbed in the crusade." Went really fast, only took 28 years to get here from being just a subordinate count. Also now 7 out of 8 electors want me as the next Emperor, and the current emperor's starting to lose his marbles, so maybe it's time for a little...:ese:

Also, what exactly determines which lord an heir will go for if they're the son of two counts under two separate dukes?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

genericnick posted:

Is there any new way to acquire artefacts from other landed chars?
There's a couple bloodlines that increase the chance of looting them. But not a new way exactly, no.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Strudel Man posted:

There's a couple bloodlines that increase the chance of looting them. But not a new way exactly, no.

Rank 2 of the warrior lodges gives you a passive "reaver" power that increases the chance of stealing people and artifacts too

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

MaxieSatan posted:

Oh, I went with Autonomous anyway, largely for rp reasons. Who needs GHWs when I can just run a regular holy war six times?

I went for the same thing in the end. The bonuses feel minor overall but they it's nice to always have them.

Also when it comes to a matter of holdings, is there any sense on having a sole Duchy's worth while directly owning multiple castle holdings (for troops) within said Duchy? I don't know if Castle Baronies work in a similar way to vassal levies when it comes to troops they give out, opening the door to just controlling said castle holdings directly.

Edit: Executing 30 people brings upon you a horrifying loud cacophony of death which signals the way to a new bloodline.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 18, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, what exactly determines which lord an heir will go for if they're the son of two counts under two separate dukes?

Usually, it'll be "whichever lord is the liege of the first title they inherit". Once someone already HAS a liege lord, I'm pretty sure they'll never be inherited out of that realm UNLESS they inherit a title that equals or outranks their top liege.

So whoever dies first, they'll inherit that county, let's call it County A, then when the other parent dies the son will inherit THEIR county, County B, into the same realm as A (unless Realm B has the Regulated Inheritance law active, which would block the heir from inheriting County B since they'd be a foreigner - it would then, I assume, go to whoever was next in line.)

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Aaah it happened AGAIN, these morons keep trying to usurp my wife's throne for me. I DON'T WANT DENMARK YOU TURDS. This time she called me into the war, so she doesn't have an opinion malus against me.

Oh and I've been getting crazy poo poo like this:

for ten years but I haven't seen Aztecs invade at all.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I realized that giving out viceroy kingdoms is really dumb because then I have no direct vassals to turn into commanders so my share of the vote tanks because I have no possible good commanders.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Never appoint commanders until the firing bug is fixed. You're the emperor; only you can command troops.

Does it really drop your voting power for appointing the best of a bad set of commanders, though? That's a pretty obvious oversight.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Can your cool emperor become a saint if you jump to a nondirect offspring in your dynasty on death? I'll be disappointed if my emperor that united the wends, converted to christianity and feudalism, and a legendary hero of perun doesn't get to join the peter and paul club just because I'm not an immediate descendant for the events to fire off.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Like I appointed a better chancellor who had 20 skill instead of the previous guy who had like 15 and my voting power went down. I don't get this system at all. It's not obvious how or why your power will go down. It also never goes back up. My vote is down to 65 despite having excellent people in all my council spots and the best commanders I can have. Although like 30-40 of that loss is from getting maimed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Strudel Man posted:

Never appoint commanders until the firing bug is fixed. You're the emperor; only you can command troops.

Does it really drop your voting power for appointing the best of a bad set of commanders, though? That's a pretty obvious oversight.

firing bug?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think Byzantium is just loving buggy. Suddenly my oldest male child I can't nominate for ruler anymore. I have no idea why. After saving the game exiting the game and reloading half an hour later he isn't able to be heir anymore. He had 600 support before I quit. He is despot so counts as born in the purple. I give up until they fix this poo poo.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

big dyke energy posted:

Aaah it happened AGAIN, these morons keep trying to usurp my wife's throne for me. I DON'T WANT DENMARK YOU TURDS. This time she called me into the war, so she doesn't have an opinion malus against me.

Oh and I've been getting crazy poo poo like this:

for ten years but I haven't seen Aztecs invade at all.

If you're getting those events the Aztec spawned, but there is probably the old bug where they are stuck on their boats offshore. If you search for the Aztec title it should show you where the emperor is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

If a commander loses their command for any reason they're considered "fired" which hurts your legitimacy because you "removed" a skilled commander from their post.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bought this for :10bux: during the sale, no DLC because I can't afford more than that right now. Started with the tutorial scenario because why not. After 200 years of trying to manage a heavily balkanized northern Hispania, my hunchback queen finally lost her grip and was punted back down to count. After that one, it is probably time to hang it up and start again.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
feels so deflating when you have a poo poo heir and you run out of time to correct it.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Usually, it'll be "whichever lord is the liege of the first title they inherit". Once someone already HAS a liege lord, I'm pretty sure they'll never be inherited out of that realm UNLESS they inherit a title that equals or outranks their top liege.

So whoever dies first, they'll inherit that county, let's call it County A, then when the other parent dies the son will inherit THEIR county, County B, into the same realm as A (unless Realm B has the Regulated Inheritance law active, which would block the heir from inheriting County B since they'd be a foreigner - it would then, I assume, go to whoever was next in line.)

This is almost correct. The rank of your liege doesn't matter, if you inherit a title of a higher rank than your current title you will become the vassal of the higher title's liege.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Bought this for :10bux: during the sale, no DLC because I can't afford more than that right now. Started with the tutorial scenario because why not. After 200 years of trying to manage a heavily balkanized northern Hispania, my hunchback queen finally lost her grip and was punted back down to count. After that one, it is probably time to hang it up and start again.

Nah man clawing your way back up the feudal ladder is the best drat part of this game!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pewdiepie posted:

I united all of Africa and created the empire level title for Kanem bornu but when I did this the succession laws got all screwed up - the empire title was gavelkind but my original title Mansa of Mali was still tribal elder succession. This meant my feudal emperor title and my tribal king title went to different heirs and I had very little recourse. Is this working as intended? Did I screw up somewhere along the way?

You likely did. As you go from count to duke to king, your highest level title determines the inheritance of all titles. But inheritance between kingdoms and empires are always separate. That doesn't matter if both are set to primogeniture for example, but if they follow different systems, or both are some form of elective (elective, tanistry), this can cause problems. The default inheritance system for newfound empires is usually gavelkind. Unless you've already adopted late feudal administration, then I think it's the system of your main kingdom (meaning if you already have primogeniture, the empire will have that, too).

In your case, you should not have created the empire title unless you were relatively sure that your character would live another ten years. As a pagan tribal, the newly created empire defaults to gavelkind. If your character had lived ten years, he/she could have changed it to eldership succession. Even then, I'm not 100% sure that both titles have the same electors, or if there are different elders deciding succession in both realms. If yes, those could still decide to give your titles to different heirs. If not, then your problems would have been solved.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Palemdromes posted:

Nah man clawing your way back up the feudal ladder is the best drat part of this game!

Seriously, seeing what you can do when everything goes wrong and your idiot king shatters the realm is part of what makes the game interesting. The fact that everything is always precarious is what makes it interesting.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

cheesetriangles posted:

I think Byzantium is just loving buggy. Suddenly my oldest male child I can't nominate for ruler anymore. I have no idea why. After saving the game exiting the game and reloading half an hour later he isn't able to be heir anymore. He had 600 support before I quit. He is despot so counts as born in the purple. I give up until they fix this poo poo.

If he got disfigured he becomes ineligible to be elected emperor. Also in regards to commanders, you can always just recruit them from the intrigue tab or invite people to court. As the Byzantine Emperor its easy to recruit good generals.

I had my good son in the Makedonian run start dabbling in satanism and he got a disfigurement which disqualified him. I think a guy getting his face bashed in during battle might disqualify people as well. I know harelip etc. does. He also could have been castrated.

He will still get a claim on the throne when you die and he can Justinian II his way back through force despite disfigurements and murder everyone who wouldn't support him. to sort of game this, make him an Exarch and transfer a bunch of vassals to him, so he can easily rebel when your ruler dies and he can rule.

Blinding rebellious nobles to disqualify them is a solid strategy.

Makedon run ended up abandoned, good son dabbling in Satanism was replaced by lovely non-satanic son, non satanic son dies of dysentery on campaign shortly after succession and his 3 year old becomes count of I think Cairo? at this point. Other brother tries to become Emperor, loses gets murdered. black death kills most of the family. I decide to abandon because it will probably take a couple generations to get back to conquering the world since I was going for the restore rome achievement/hellenism I figure I should try again.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 18, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This game has never been about something being overpowered. After a couple playthroughs we pretty much all know the ways to cheese this game. It's about creating your own storylines and narratives in your head.

I wouldn't ever want to run an Immortal Warrior Lodge character because that just doesn't sound like fun. Or I'd run it and try to make him seduce every single queen possible over thousands of years and spread my genepool across the entire map. Actually that sounds like fun.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Strudel Man posted:

But you are at constant risk of being killed by some other immortal weirdos, so being in a warrior lodge and presumably having >100 personal combat skill neatly eliminates one of the leading causes of death for immortals.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

But you are at constant risk of being killed by some other immortal weirdos, so being in a warrior lodge and presumably having >100 personal combat skill neatly eliminates one of the leading causes of death for immortals.

Well, they say there can be only one and god drat it it will be me. :black101:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
By the way, what's the requirement for "delving into the classics" to rediscover Hellenic paganism? I'm trying a shattered world start, because it's a bit of a let down to refound hellenic after you've already won the game (became Roman Emperor). I'm the doux of Hellas and have the scholarship focus, what am I missing that the decision doesn't pop up for me?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Doltos posted:

This game has never been about something being overpowered. After a couple playthroughs we pretty much all know the ways to cheese this game. It's about creating your own storylines and narratives in your head.

I wouldn't ever want to run an Immortal Warrior Lodge character because that just doesn't sound like fun. Or I'd run it and try to make him seduce every single queen possible over thousands of years and spread my genepool across the entire map. Actually that sounds like fun.

Yeah had a 34 martial African empress from that Hausa bloodline and decided to dismiss the immortal event because it'd be boring. If you've had one immortal character you've basically seen what's there. Succession is fun. If anything bloodlines even encourage it more for power gaming.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deliberately hunting down all of the other immortals as an immortal sounds like an interesting challenge

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Don't rest until every barony, county, duchy, kingdom, and empire is held by a descendant of your undying character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Game's not over until everybody's inbred.