Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Were you planning to main BLU no matter what even if you despised the playstyle and it was the new worst thing ever?

If you're planning to play Blue Mage no matter what then you can and you have content dedicated to it and it's actually more accurate to how the job would play then pretty much anything else they could come up with. If you wanted something to raid in then why hyper-focus on a class you had no idea how it would play and which you might not even enjoy/find boring/etc?

I guess I don't see how it's a bad thing. If you love the idea of Blue Mage this is a very accurate representation of it that even allows you to capture the unbalanced/OP aspect that people worried about. Otherwise it's like "I'm upset that this job I might have liked maybe isn't going to be valid in endgame rading" as if half the conversations in this thread don't revolve around the fact that a job sucks because it is slightly less than optimal anyway.

Also considering you have to have finished the ARR story before you can even touch Blue Mage you're presumably going to have another class leveled already.
i mean for people talking about how amazing or hype they are for blue mage that criticism still applies. blue mage could turn out to be completely boring trash despite being segmented off from the rest of the game and having content dedicated solely to it so i'm not sure where you're going with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I'm legitimately intrigued as to what the new Gold Saucer content could be. A full renovation?
Blitzball

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

This is a very inaccurate take on Blu Mage because I could fight Exdeath and Kefka as a Blue Mage in other Final Fantasies but in FFXIV I can't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

i mean for people talking about how amazing or hype they are for blue mage that criticism still applies. blue mage could turn out to be completely boring trash despite being segmented off from the rest of the game and having content dedicated solely to it so i'm not sure where you're going with this.

Of course it could. It's a random side job. Maybe it'll suck and be no fun. In which case the fact it is not endgame raid ready is also still irrelevant. The whole "I AM GOING TO PLAY BLUE MAGE NO MATTER WHAT" thing is silly. Do you really pick any of your other jobs based off your favorite class in other FF games, even if you hate how the class plays?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

its not like we're even losing a "real" job, we're getting this before the expansion, and still getting 2 jobs in shadowbringer, they said they would never do 3 at the same time again after heavensward. it's like being mad that the new golden saucer content or big fishing isn't A Job I Can Take Into All COntent!!!

that's not remotely the same thing lol

god I wish, gently caress BLU and Calculator give me Blitzballer

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Just replace "Blue Mage" with whatever your favorite class is, mentally, if you want to understand why people are upset.

Samurai is now in FFXIV - but with 49 different bushido art you must unlock, at the Samurai Theatere to duel with, and is capped to level 50 (60 in the next expansion!)

Dark Knight is now in FFXIV - but with 49 different dark arts you must unlock, to keep back monster hordes from rising up from the Caves of Darkness, and is capped to level 50 (60 in the next expansion!)

just to use two fairly popular and requested jobs as examples. The actual content itself is a fine diversion idea - the problem being that that blue mage is now no longer even a pipe dream for fans of the class to play with their friends in endgame dungeons and raids, which make up a large bulk of playtime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nyttyn posted:

Just replace "Blue Mage" with whatever your favorite class is, mentally, if you want to understand why people are upset.

Samurai is now in FFXIV - but with 49 different bushido art you must unlock, at the Samurai Theatere to duel with, and is capped to level 50 (60 in the next expansion!)

Dark Knight is now in FFXIV - but with 49 different dark arts you must unlock, to keep back monster hordes from rising up from the Caves of Darkness, and is capped to level 50 (60 in the next expansion!)

just to use two fairly popular and requested jobs as examples. The actual content itself is a fine diversion idea - the problem being that that blue mage is now no longer even a pipe dream for fans of the class to play with their friends in endgame dungeons and raids, which make up a large bulk of playtime.

My favorite FF class is chemist and while I'd love a healer-chemist class if you gave me an insane chemist job where I could mix any loving item in the game and get insane OP combinations and use them to nuke old content while farming for birbs or whatever I'd love it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nyttyn posted:

So can they ever add anything to the game that doesn't raid, or is that forbidden? Not sarcastic, genuine question here.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That'd be comparable if those other jobs had a baked in collect skills gimmick. Collecting abilities had been a core element to Blue Mage and they've made that a minigame.

I'm with folk on it sucking that we can't DF with it or can't take it into current things but I like Blue Mage itself more than I do having a job that's kind of Blue Mage but not? Though I'd have been on board if they distilled it into a tank too.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Of course it could. It's a random side job. Maybe it'll suck and be no fun. In which case the fact it is not endgame raid ready is also still irrelevant. The whole "I AM GOING TO PLAY BLUE MAGE NO MATTER WHAT" thing is silly. Do you really pick any of your other jobs based off your favorite class in other FF games, even if you hate how the class plays?
i mean i was excited to play samurai and would've been sad if for some reason samurai were limited to level 50 so yes??

it was the same for DRK, I enjoy playing as FF jobs that I like and am sad that said class is effectively barred from playing most of the content

is that hard to understand :confused:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
would absolutely play a version of samurai where your katanas broke every time you used an ability

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a lot of you are doing the same thing and arguing the exact same opinion but on different sides, but you're not giving any reason why the other party should think differently

"imagine if the class you always wanted to play was loving weird but couldn't do end-game content" yeah that would suck

"imagine if the class you always wanted to play was loving weird but couldn't do end-game content" yeah that owns like hell

you're just going in circles lol

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
people have different opinions, but also, it is dumb to act like something is terrible because you, personally, were disappointed in its implementation

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The Ascians are dumb and I can't wait to genocide every last one of them.

somepartsareme posted:

people have different opinions, but also, it is dumb to act like something is terrible because you, personally, were disappointed in its implementation

Why else would you think something is terrible other than you thinking it was terrible?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

a lot of you are doing the same thing and arguing the exact same opinion but on different sides

"imagine if the class you always wanted to play was loving weird but couldn't do end-game content" yeah that would suck

"imagine if the class you always wanted to play was loving weird but couldn't do end-game content" yeah that owns like hell

you're just going in circles lol
The peril of having a game that appeals to wide groups of people, is that each group loving hates the guts of every other group.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ImpAtom posted:

My favorite FF class is chemist and while I'd love a healer-chemist class if you gave me an insane chemist job where I could mix any loving item in the game and get insane OP combinations and use them to nuke old content while farming for birbs or whatever I'd love it.

If Chemist was a real job that you could actually use on current content then you could still nuke old content while farming for stuff:

Captain Cappy posted:

Go hog wild my friend!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

homeless snail posted:

The peril of having a game that appeals to a wide group of people, is that each group loving hates the guts of every other group.

wrong bitch I love you all

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Captain Cappy posted:

Why else would you think something is terrible other than you thinking it was terrible?

i mean, even the people i know who like eureka know it sucks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

i mean i was excited to play samurai and would've been sad if for some reason samurai were limited to level 50 so yes??

it was the same for DRK, I enjoy playing as FF jobs that I like and am sad that said class is effectively barred from playing most of the content

is that hard to understand :confused:

Yes? I don't get being excited about the job before you know how it plays. Especially because Samurai in FFXIV isn't really like Samurai in other FF games. Hell, it doesn't even have gil toss. Unless you're just excited about the idea of samurais which is fine. Same with Dark Knight which has almost nothing to do with Dark Knight as a class in other games besides being edgelord as gently caress. If you enjoy playing Dark Knight would it have been less fun if ti was called Rune Fencer or something?

Cabbit posted:

If Chemist was a real job that you could actually use on current content then you could still nuke old content while farming for stuff:

If Chemist was a real job it absolutely would not get !Mix that is accurate to... half the games that have it. You'd probably get something like Mudra for healers or something. Which is fine and I'd play the hell out of it, but it's not the same as going "Welp, time to do something utterly insane." That's half the fun of chemist as a job.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If Chemist was a real job it absolutely would not get !Mix that is accurate to... half the games that have it. You'd probably get something like Mudra for healers or something. Which is fine and I'd play the hell out of it, but it's not the same as going "Welp, time to do something utterly insane."

It sounds like a more complicated Astrologian card mechanic. I don't understand why you think it might be impossible to implement accurately.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

people were saying the same thing about BLU for years

no way they'd actually have a move-learning mechanic, you would have way too many abilities

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Babe Magnet posted:

no way they'd actually have a move-learning mechanic, you would have way too many abilities

I mean, they do in this implementation. 49 abilities holy lol.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

It sounds like a more complicated Astrologian card mechanic. I don't understand why you think it might be impossible to implement accurately.

It would almost be...Astrologian cards combined with Mudras. I'm not sure if it would be hilarious or awful.

I'm just hoping you can take BLU into the ARR 24-mans if you have a full party. I could see that being dicey because you have to get two other full parties set up.

Overall I'm interested in BLU. Disappointed that they couldn't make it a full on job, but it still looks like a fun distraction, since I don't do savage raiding and such.

But I really want to take BLU to fight Greg. It just seems right.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh yeah for sure, I'm just saying that chemist may not be too weird of a pipe-dream class to talk about in a conversation about a mostly-faithful BLU mage adaptation lol

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The idea that things like Blue MAge have to adhere to a 'traditional' setup when Blue Mages have been t traditionally either completely busted or completely nonviable is bad game design for a game which has been lauded for general class parity across the board, and the fact that said class is essentially going to be nonviable by being twenty levels lower than cap (maybe 30, depending on if they bump it up to 60 during shadowbringers) for a good chunk of content is in fact really disappointing to people who were hoping to make the class their main

Like Blue Mage could have in fact been a tank or dps that had a lot of moves ripped straight from fights in the game as part of their standard levelling set. They could in fact make that a unique thing on its own, it's not like ffxiv doesn't have its own unique spins on moves to bring to the table. The idea that it would have been a Generic DPS Class is a pretty drat weird consideration given even the three tanks which are far and away the most homogeneous of classes don't really play that similarly.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

People were only saying that based on the theoretical job being normal and balanced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Because the big appeal of chemist as a class is that certain combinations of abilities are not merely strong but *insanely* strong in a way that is extremely hard to replicate in a game where 30 potency is the difference between good and crap. !Mix does stuff like let you do 9999 damage with every attack, doubles your HP, sends enemies into black holes, etc. It's literally the key to a lot of extremely game breaking strategies.

And that doesn't have to be accurately depicted. As I said if they did a regular healer job which was balanced and played well, awesome, I'd play that if it was called Salvemaker or Chemist or whatever variation you want.

On the other hand if you gave me like.. I donno, a frigging insane Crafter/Combat class that could do everything Chemists can do in other games and isn't allowed in regular combat but has dedicated stuff I can do both to have hilarious explosions and maybe make special items for money? I would *absolutely* take that over another healer class, 10 times out of 10.

Babe Magnet posted:

oh yeah for sure, I'm just saying that chemist may not be too weird of a pipe-dream class to talk about in a conversation about a mostly-faithful BLU mage adaptation lol

I think you might be misunderstanding me. I'm not saying it isn't impossible. I'm saying I'd be HAPPY if they did it BLU style.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
maybe this is what they meant by become the warrior of darkness

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
BLU looks really fun, glad you're able to do group stuff even if you have to form groups. Excited to hunt skills with my Mumble Friends in BLU Man Groups

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I still wish they'd have found a way to make BLU a mage-tank so we could have BLU, WHT, RDM, and BLM dungeon parties

ImpAtom posted:

I think you might be misunderstanding me. I'm not saying it isn't impossible. I'm saying I'd be HAPPY if they did it BLU style.

yeah probably, this conversation is all over the place lol

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes? I don't get being excited about the job before you know how it plays. Especially because Samurai in FFXIV isn't really like Samurai in other FF games. Hell, it doesn't even have gil toss. Unless you're just excited about the idea of samurais which is fine. Same with Dark Knight which has almost nothing to do with Dark Knight as a class in other games besides being edgelord as gently caress. If you enjoy playing Dark Knight would it have been less fun if ti was called Rune Fencer or something?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This really isn't rocket science, guys. Just say "Yeah that sucks, even though I'm looking forward to it." A life lesson: acknowledge people's feelings on something that bums them out, it's much better than "lol why are you even upset"

It's a round robin argument because you don't wanna even acknowledge that some people have a justifiable reason for being upset they don't get to raid as a blue mage. It's fuckin dumb, just don't be a dick and empathize with someone being bummed out.

Make fun of crazy rear end redditors or that one dude comparing it to diablo immortal if you want, but don't come in here generalizing about how everyone is a baby for being bummed out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
thinking about it I get why people are disappointed about blue mage even if I'm personally not and my beef is more with people acting like this is the death knell of the game or some stupid poo poo like that

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Blockhouse posted:

thinking about it I get why people are disappointed about blue mage even if I'm personally not and my beef is more with people acting like this is the death knell of the game or some stupid poo poo like that

yes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

who's doing that?

only complaining I've read so far is about BLU, people seemed pretty warmed up to the other expansion features. Except for I guess the datacenter changes, RIP so many statics lol

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Babe Magnet posted:

who's doing that?

only complaining I've read so far is about BLU, people seemed pretty warmed up to the other expansion features. Except for I guess the datacenter changes, RIP so many statics lol

We might lose our other healer because we refuse to leave the holy ground that is balmung to step a single toe onto gilgameshi soil, and he probably won't wanna slip on all the jizz or w/e

Thankfully it's just one person, but finding a new healer will probably be a bitch.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah losing your main healer is a bitch, it would probably be less work convincing/threatening/bribing him to move over than finding a new one lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's a round robin argument because you don't wanna even acknowledge that some people have a justifiable reason for being upset they don't get to raid as a blue mage. It's fuckin dumb, just don't be a dick and empathize with someone being bummed out.

Make fun of crazy rear end redditors or that one dude comparing it to diablo immortal if you want, but don't come in here generalizing about how everyone is a baby for being bummed out.

I mean I absolutely can understand someone being bummed out, but people are going "How would you feel if it was YOUR favorite class" and I answered honestly. I'd be happy (assuming it was done well!) Frankly I'd really enjoy more involved content for classes that wasn't just the regular raid setup. I'm deeply hoping that 'new endgame content' for crafters means they're going to be something more interesting than just 'turn in 5 rat asses' though I wouldn't be surprised if it's that. (I mean if you want my secret I want crafting to just be Atelier ported in FFXIV but I know I'm not getting that.)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I get people are losing a lot of statics and the raid scene's gonna be crazy for a while but I'm not sure what people expected given they've been trying to solve the Balm/Gilg problem for literal years, and Mateus only made it worse (I'm pretty sure Mateus is now actually bigger than Gilgamesh?) The "reshuffle the servers" move was always the nuclear option they clearly didn't want to entertain but their hand has been kinda forced.

I've legitimately seen one person I know go "this is why they need to implement cross-datacenter play!!!" and I didn't have the heart to tell him how completely insane that sounded

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

cross-datacenter play sounds loving nightmarish to implement, if it's even possible for big MMOs. Even Blizzard, who've had cross-realm zoning for years now and all the money and staff in the world for server management don't do cross-battlegroup instancing. That's why server transfers cost 30 dollars, so people will stop server transferring (also because people still have to buy them if their server dies lol)

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Babe Magnet posted:

cross-datacenter play sounds loving nightmarish to implement

Wow is still trying to iron out all the bugs 4 years later after doing cross realm zones. So here is hoping the FF team has learned from Blizzs mistakes.