Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I love westerns and the Coens and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was fantastic.

If you like westerns and being clinically depressed, The Proposition is on Prime now. The soundtrack by Nick Cave is fantastic and just fills the whole movie with a sense of dread. Be warned to say this movie is bleak is putting it mildly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I loved The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I can't remember the last time I immediately wanted to rewatch a movie. Buster Scruggs is good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They really slow-burned to a sad ending in that wagon train story.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

John Boorman's Excalibur is on Prime right now, so those who haven't seen it should probably get on that.

Ditto the 1983 The Hunger which I have had a hard time finding on streaming services over the years (Prime also).

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zwabu posted:

John Boorman's Excalibur is on Prime right now, so those who haven't seen it should probably get on that.

The best King Arthur movie ever made.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still not watching this because it will break me but Netflix out here answering the important question

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1063487661459947520

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This is false: all of the dogs featured in "Dogs" will die

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Apparently, Get Shorty received the Fargo treatment and was made into a TV show. S1 is on Netflix and it's good although I think it is shot too "Network tv" style and would be better served with a more deliberate, artsy mood. Not that it's poorly shot, just ... uninspired?

Anyway, I love the movie but this is a good and very different take on the general plot.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I loved The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

I’ve had “When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” stuck in my head all day.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Ballad of Buster Scruggs was awesome but I wish they would have made the palate cleanser the LAST one instead of the FIRST one. Some of those vignettes were harrowing!!

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

mary had a little clam posted:

Ballad of Buster Scruggs was awesome but I wish they would have made the palate cleanser the LAST one instead of the FIRST one. Some of those vignettes were harrowing!!

I know right! Man, the ending of the wagon train one :gonk:

Also, I was looking at the cast and it seems like they credited David Krumholtz and Saul Rubinek as “Frenchman”, and both of their characters played / talked about poker. Think they are the same guy?

I really loved this one - my favorite Coen Brothers movie since A Serious Man.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Netflix has a Sound of Your Heart Reboot. It's a funny show if you're okay with subtitles and the occasional fart joke.

The original is still available too.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I've just started The Ballad of Buster Scruggs -- I'm watching on my laptop since I'm trying to fit it in piecemeal while Tet Jr naps -- and even on this screen it looks gorgeous. I'm going to have to watch it again on the television when the opportunity arises.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
My only real problem with Buster Scruggs is that the conceit of the last part was so obvious that I thought there was going to be some kind of fakeout at the end.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

My only real problem with Buster Scruggs is that the conceit of the last part was so obvious that I thought there was going to be some kind of fakeout at the end.

My only problem so far is that "nothin' important" was a lung, diaphragm, and liver shot, plus or minus bowel. But that's a longstanding cinematic tradition, so it's forgivable.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

That's actually why I thought it worked. It was almost relaxing after the tragedy of the previous ones. Death is a huge part of the movie and ending it with yep no confusion clicks.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 18, 2018

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I could watch a whole movie of Tom Waits walking through mountain valleys singing hymns.

e: also, re: mortal remains, did anybody else see it as a western take on Charon & the river Styx? At first I thought maybe I'm reading too much into this but then I remembered O Brother is literally The Odyssey..

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 18, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fishtobaskets posted:

e: also, re: mortal remains, did anybody else see it as a western take on Charon & the river Styx? At first I thought maybe I'm reading too much into this but then I remembered O Brother is literally The Odyssey..

It reminded me of Night Train to Terror.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Pretty terrific movie all in all. Mortal Remains is probably the one that will linger on for me; that and the terrific Tom Waits performance.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I'm looking for something cinematically beautiful, and emotionally desolate. Like Pan's Labyrinth (great) or Tale of Tales (ehhhn, but is the right vein).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm looking for something cinematically beautiful, and emotionally desolate. Like Pan's Labyrinth (great) or Tale of Tales (ehhhn, but is the right vein).

...How about The Ballad of Buster Scruggs?

What service?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

...How about The Ballad of Buster Scruggs?

What service?

Already started it, and like it, but it's not as...I don't know. I like it in a different way.

Hulu, Prime, or Netflix.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

13Pandora13 posted:

Already started it, and like it, but it's not as...I don't know. I like it in a different way.

Hulu, Prime, or Netflix.

Just give it two or three segments. Each story builds towards more 'emotional desolation'.

edit: Netflix: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Hateful Eight, The VVitch, RAW, The Endless, The Shining, The Godfather, The Godfather Part 2, The Thin Blue Line, Lo & Behold,

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 19, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man I love that stuff like Buster Scrugg can come out and I've never heard of it. It's like the old days of going to the video store and seeing something cool.

That movie it went from slapstick silly in the beginning to just plain heartbreaking in the Wagon Train section.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The first short was my least favorite, but it builds well from there. And even then, the first short had some great stuff in it and I think it would support an entire movie. It was more Hail, Caesar style Coen Brothers than I expected. I want an entire movie of the Tom Waits segment.

The writing was up to Coen Brothers norm, and had some incredibly memorable moments. The cinematography / budget felt like it took a noticeable “for Netflix” hit. Some good looking stuff in there, but not as much “wow” as I expected from another Coen western.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 19, 2018

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Just give it two or three segments. Each story builds towards more 'emotional desolation'.

It's not the desolation level that's not hitting the craving, it's the setting.

I've seen all those - I should have been more specific, I'm looking for something that's more of a hidden gem, not well known in the states, etc. that's pretty to look at in a fantastical kind of sense.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 19, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

13Pandora13 posted:

You watch all the Sergio Leone westerns on prime?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

You should probably start watching Patriot

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So what is a good prestigey show to watch while I grind mindlessly for like forty hours in an MMO? I'm almost finished rewatching the Wire and was thinking about their other shows but besides Oz and GoT I haven't seen any of them.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

That Works posted:

You watch all the Sergio Leone westerns on prime?

A western is not going to scratch the itch I have.

I'm not articulating this well I think. I'm looking for something kind of fantastical but not in a pleasant way.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Have you seen Maniac yet?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm not articulating this well I think. I'm looking for something kind of fantastical but not in a pleasant way.

Legend is on Prime iirc

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jeopardy and Shark Tank/Dragon's Den are on Netflix and usually put them on into the background while I work.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

13Pandora13 posted:

My friend have you heard the good word of our lord and savior, Nicolas Winding Refn?

e: specifically Bronson, Valhalla Rising, and Only God Forgives

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

13Pandora13 posted:

Mandy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also yeah Mandy is an extremely good choice

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Valhalla Rising

:hmmyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Asnorban posted:

The first short was my least favorite, but it builds well from there. And even then, the first short had some great stuff in it and I think it would support an entire movie. It was more Hail, Caesar style Coen Brothers than I expected. I want an entire movie of the Tom Waits segment.

The writing was up to Coen Brothers norm, and had some incredibly memorable moments. The cinematography / budget felt like it took a noticeable “for Netflix” hit. Some good looking stuff in there, but not as much “wow” as I expected from another Coen western.

I didn’t care for the James Franco segment, but I could watch an entire season of Stephen Root as the insane “POT-SHOT!” bank teller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Valhalla Rising

good call