Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Haven't talked about Spencer in a while. Tonight he did something I found hilarious. He took a chunk of orange out of his fruit and veg bowl and worked his way up to the top of his cage while holding onto it with his beak. He was having some trouble and it looked like he was going to drop the orange wedge more than once, but made it up there. His goal was to stand on his open cage door and feast on his treat, so he hopped down from the top of the cage onto the door. Unfortunately for our hero the force of the jump broke his precarious hold on the sweet treat and it fell to the ground with a loud plop. Defeat snatched from the beak of victory. I of course started laughing and that started him yelling and made me laugh more until I was crying.

I picked up the orange and gave it to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mikerock posted:

I picked up the orange and gave it to him.

Did he drop it again?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i put a branch in bobbies cage and hes hanging upside down yelling at it while shimi sits there and chews on her flowers like ???

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

You guys I think I got a defective cockatiel, he's been on a seed diet since we got him because the breeder said it'd be okay for the first couple of months since he was just weaned, and I decided today was a good day to switch him to healthier pellets! So I got some Harrison's high potency and prepared myself for this to take weeks.

He ate the whole teaspoon I gave him, no seed bribe required! I didn't even have time to mix the seeds in with it, he dived for the pellets immedietly and happily sat in his food dish eating them!!

Pictured: a Good Boy who ate all his pellets :3:

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 17, 2018

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
D'awww look at that good boy.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Wish mine would eat Harrisons!! Cricket won't touch pellets mostly...she will crunch them to powder but I don't think she actually ingests any :( Tropican seems to be the only "tolerable" one so far. Trevor, on the other hand, LOVES pellets. Hell, he just loves anything edible...he is on a see-food diet. He has not turned anything down and is nowhere NEAR picky at all. I did order some Tops pellets to see what they think of them...we'll see what they think on Monday when they arrive. I've tried so many different brands of pellets and she is just not a fan. The Tropican she sort of eats... it's more pity bites for me than anything else I think.

I end up grinding up all the pellets and adding it to the bird bread/breakfast chop/dinner chop so it at least gets in her that way. Trevor just doesn't care... if its vaguely edible or he thinks it is, its down his beak in a flash.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 17, 2018

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, some birds are really fussy about what they will eat and others will eat everything. I think Crouton and Galbedir are broken because they adore fruit and veg but refuse to touch breakfast cereals, cheese, peanut butter, and crackers. They have even had a lick of peanut butter but still scream angrily at it when they see it. Chillis are god tier, while leafy greens are next best.

Galbedir will at least do anything for a sunny. Or at least anything within the power of his tiny pea sized brain. He's a good boy but not the brightest sandwich in the drawer.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Wandy, my last tiel, would eat zupreem pellets, but would methodically sort out the yellow ones, sometimes dumping them all on the floor.

I tried them, and couldn’t taste a difference. Just mighty sawdust-y.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

Wandy, my last tiel, would eat zupreem pellets, but would methodically sort out the yellow ones, sometimes dumping them all on the floor.

I tried them, and couldn’t taste a difference. Just mighty sawdust-y.

Toast was very picky about what colours he would eat. My vet recommended putting paper pellet kitty litter in with the food to encourage foraging and reduce the number of pellets that get flung out and it's definitely helped with Crouton and Galbedir. I think that if they get bored they start inventing extra conditions their food has to have, eg no blue pellets. If they have inedible paper pellets to find and discard, they feel like discerning birds who have used their brain power for foraging and they can eat all the pellets of all colours.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Toast was very picky about what colours he would eat. My vet recommended putting paper pellet kitty litter in with the food to encourage foraging and reduce the number of pellets that get flung out and it's definitely helped with Crouton and Galbedir. I think that if they get bored they start inventing extra conditions their food has to have, eg no blue pellets. If they have inedible paper pellets to find and discard, they feel like discerning birds who have used their brain power for foraging and they can eat all the pellets of all colours.

That's actually a really good idea...I might try that! Thank you :)

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Meanwhile, Boop is a garbage guts and will try and inhale any food. That includes her pellets.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera and Ozzy are on Zupreem. All other pellets I have offered them have been ignored, so I wonder if the colour makes them more appealing. I have had issues with them throwing out one type but it changes from time to time. Sera used to refuse the yellow ones. Ozzy would leave the orange ones. Now, between them, they eat all the yellow and green ones first and then deal with the red and orange more reluctantly.

I am pretty sure they're all the same flavour, honestly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Like Van Halen, they're just doing it to make sure you set up their sound system correctly. Birds have very large amplifiers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like Van Halen, they're just doing it to make sure you set up their sound system correctly. Birds have very large amplifiers.

Nah, they mostly have tweeters.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It's been a pretty tame week in the Serra/Log household.

But, I remember you all talking about your bird recognising when certain games are on the screen. Serra goes nuts whenever I load up Fortnite. I guess it looks trippy?

Serra also got a wing trim, and got to visit with some BROTHERS AND SISTERS from another clutch! Awwww! She's terrified!

This is a bird I really want, but won't get. No, it isn't an Indian ringneck. It's a Quaker! A neon yellow one too!

Apparently the ancient store owner has only seen one this colour once before. It's price? $750. Other ones are $500 to $300. I've put a hold on buying birds, because the person I'm dating is also a bird person. If things continue to go well, I don't want us to have to pick and choose which birds get kept. :)

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Captain Log posted:

I've put a hold on buying birds, because the person I'm dating is also a bird person.

I don't know why, but I'm just imagining two person-sized birds having a lot of smaller birds as pets.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The other day I was working on about three hours sleep, and I needed a nap badly, but Sera and Ozzy were just in full Yell Mode.

I put on Bob Ross and they settled right down. His magic transcends species. I slept for an hour and a half.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Patrovsky posted:

I don't know why, but I'm just imagining two person-sized birds having a lot of smaller birds as pets.

Really not far off from the reality.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/Paige_Burton/status/1063725333487149056

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I see Gaston is doing well.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Coincidentally, baby caiques make the exact same noise most people make when they see baby caiques

https://twitter.com/inkokfc/status/1064520080745086976

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
UPDATE:

Jasper is still terrified of Beryl, Beryl seems to have moved from attacking to power-preening and oh my gods I'm sorry I don't have pictures in hand Jasper is just too cute

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Guys help, terra fell asleep on me and I need to get up, but he's so cute, I think I might end up dying here

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bird-crazies_gangtag.jpg

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

You better snuffle the HECK out of that fluffy ol neck :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

The other day I was working on about three hours sleep, and I needed a nap badly, but Sera and Ozzy were just in full Yell Mode.

I put on Bob Ross and they settled right down. His magic transcends species. I slept for an hour and a half.

I should put that on when I leave...they might like that! Thanks!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
"What's in the box, what's in the box?!"

A bird.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Veritas posted:

"What's in the box, what's in the box?!"

A bird.

The best possible contents.

https://twitter.com/compamal_ike/status/1064702359366815745

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

redgubbinz posted:

The best possible contents.

https://twitter.com/compamal_ike/status/1064702359366815745

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OH no it's a prison riot :kimchi:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The dinosaurs have escaped containment!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And the cameraman was never seen again.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

oh boy is it that time again? Terra Tuesday!

he's discovered that humans are great to sleep on, they're warm and barely move, and it gives me an excuse to sit on the couch watching Brooklyn nine nine

when he's awake, he likes to watch too!

speaking of places he likes to sleep, my girlfriend brought a new friend home and terra immedietly claimed it

finally in preparation for Christmas, I bought some tinsel for him to play with so he doesn't freak out when there's lots of it when we decorate the house. It's now his favourite toy

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Faerie Fortune posted:

oh boy is it that time again? Terra Tuesday!

he's discovered that humans are great to sleep on, they're warm and barely move, and it gives me an excuse to sit on the couch watching Brooklyn nine nine

when he's awake, he likes to watch too!

speaking of places he likes to sleep, my girlfriend brought a new friend home and terra immedietly claimed it

finally in preparation for Christmas, I bought some tinsel for him to play with so he doesn't freak out when there's lots of it when we decorate the house. It's now his favourite toy
Fat little lemon :3:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm actually super worried he's overweight, we got some digital scales and his idiot rear end stood on it and he weighs 105g which I think is overweight for a four and a half month old 'tiel.

In my defense I'm pretty sure I was overfeeding him for a while, and he's only just switched from a seed only diet to pellets so hopefully this'll keep him at a healthier weight

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion was also some 105-110 g when he was very young, he lost some weight again later and never really got overweight as such. Keep in mind birds eat a lot compared to their total weight, so even just how recently they've eaten can impact their total weight significantly.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Two bros, chillin' in the shower, five feet apart 'cause they're not gay.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bunch of wet bird pics:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Bunch of wet bird pics:

Majestic. Regal. Powerful.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

Two bros, chillin' in the shower, five feet apart 'cause they're not gay.

Ahahaha that cracked me up.

I bet they sit with a seat between them at the movies. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dry bird bonus