Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some folks cook their turkey really dry too, in which case some wet cranberry sauce can soak in and juice things up.

Hence gravy, even more salt and fat.

If you think about foods you already know and their preparations in the terms of balance, things start making a lot of sense i.e. squeeze of lemon (acid) over fried shrimp (fat, salt), dipped in cocktail sauce (sweet, bitter)

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
if you touch my fried shrimp with cocktail sauce or lemon we're going to have a problem. Just give me the fried shrimp with some salt.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Memento posted:

drat that actually sounds really good.

I was at a friend's place for a barbecue the other day and he made some snacks, one of which was a wheel of brie he sliced the top off, put it back on and then warmed up in the oven for ~10 minutes. It was incredibly good, we dipped crackers into it like it was a warm cheese dip.

Thinking about it for a second, I realise it's probably old news to the Americans, because isn't that basically just queso dip?

Queso means cheese, yes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Also, when you talk about seasonal ingredients (aka things that grow together regionally), you start seeing even more. Produce that grow in the same region at the same time share a lot of aromatic compounds, and those compounds comprise 80% of flavor, so you see things like the Three Sisters (beans, corn, and squash) or mirapoix. Or, you know, pumpkin, green beans, cranberries, potatoes etc.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

if you touch my fried shrimp with cocktail sauce or lemon we're going to have a problem. Just give me the fried shrimp with some salt.

That's fine if you don't like it, but it's a classic combination for a reason. Just because something is balanced doesn't mean it's always going to be your bag.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The only year I cooked a turkey I put cranberries in my stuffing.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

spankmeister posted:

Because fructose is processed differently by the body than glucose. Specifically, fructose does not cause as much insulin secretion as glucose, which makes you more likely to gain weight from it. Also, it is readily converted to fat in the liver, potentially causing chirrosis.

Fructose is worse for you than glucose and therefore any type of sugar containing more fructose than glucose will be worse than regular refined sugar. (IIRC sucrose gets broken down to fructose and glucose in the stomach in about equal amounts)

So yes, it is marketed as a healthy, natural replacement for the evil unnatural refined sugar, but is in fact even worse!

I am not a doctor, so please read this paper about it: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/76/5/911/4689540

Sucrose (table sugar) is a dimer which contains a molecule of sucrose and a molecule of fructose - sucrose contains 50% sucrose and 50% glucose. HFCS contains 55% fructose and 45% glucose. There really isn't a difference between the two nutritionally. It's just that there are sugar tariffs in the US while corn is heavily subsidized, and the preponderance of cheap processed food which is jam packed with sugar which is driving obesity/diabetes/metabolic syndrome. All sugar is equally bad for you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

All that "plays really well" or "sweetness/acidity cutting through the ____" poo poo sounds like meaningless garbage you'd hear on food network where they have to spread out "i thought it was ok" in to 3 minutes of analysis.
You sound a lot like my sister right now. She'll make pasta sauce with just tomatoes and garlic; doesn't see the point in putting in herbs, onion, pepper, etc. because she can't taste the difference. Basically what I'm saying is, just because other people experience something you don't that doesn't make it bullshit. Other people actually experience things differently to you. It sounds like you don't have a particularly good sense of taste. That's not a criticism, different people are just sensitive to different ranges of sensory information. But you should accept that other people aren't just making poo poo up, they actually do taste things in a way you don't. If you were blind, it wouldn't mean there was no such thing as blue. It's just something you can't personally experience.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I worked at a restaurant that had a "skinny" raspberry cocktail on the menu. Presumably it was "skinny" because it used agave syrup, but it also contained limoncello, raspberry puree, and raspberry sorbet. With a sugared rim. :doh:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There's also fructose malabsorption which is pretty much the same as lactose intolerance. Foods with high fructose content make me sick so even a lot of fruits are off the table. But cooking helps break down the fructose into glucose, which I can absorb. So I can eat apple pie, but not any raw apple, including juice.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Once again my family shoots down the idea of a whole barbecued goat for Thanksgiving in favor of turkey once again.

Look, I get it, it's traditional etc. etc., but for once let us be iconoclasts and poo poo on tradition and rage against oppressive authority and stick it to the man and, I dunno, have prime rib? Whole barbecue goat? Baked ziti? Something beside a bird with an inside-out vagina for a head?

Picnic Princess posted:

But cooking helps break down the fructose into glucose,

You can't convert fructose to glucose without an organic chemistry lab. You can convert sucrose into a fructose and a glucose because it's a dimer of the two, but that's only useful for playing tricks with sucrose crystallization, because your body does it anyways after ingestion. I highly suspect your apple intolerance is caused by something else in the apple.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Nov 18, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The best peanut butter is what I call the garbage sandwich. The creaminess of the (sweetened) PB and mayo plays off wonderfully against the bitterness of cos lettuce, the heat and acidity of pickled jalapeno slices and the saltiness of the fried spam.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fo3 posted:

The best peanut butter is what I call the garbage sandwich. The creaminess of the (sweetened) PB and mayo plays off wonderfully against the bitterness of cos lettuce, the heat and acidity of pickled jalapeno slices and the saltiness of the fried spam.

:randno:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Substitute mayo and lettuce for cole slaw, I'd give it a maybe.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Nov 18, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
hey I will defend spam forever, I make a mean eggs benedict (the ham is actually bacon spam crisped lightly)

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Fried spam is good. Cold spam is even okay when sliced thinly for a sandwich.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fo3 posted:

I can't abide spam but if you went with good deli ham instead I'd try this.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

rndmnmbr posted:

Once again my family shoots down the idea of a whole barbecued goat for Thanksgiving in favor of turkey once again.

Salmonella contamination in turkey is widespread and unidentified as Thanksgiving approaches

:yum:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

Sucrose (table sugar) is a dimer which contains a molecule of sucrose and a molecule of fructose - sucrose contains 50% sucrose and 50% glucose. HFCS contains 55% fructose and 45% glucose. There really isn't a difference between the two nutritionally. It's just that there are sugar tariffs in the US while corn is heavily subsidized, and the preponderance of cheap processed food which is jam packed with sugar which is driving obesity/diabetes/metabolic syndrome. All sugar is equally bad for you.

There are two kinds of HFCS, HFCS 42 and 55, named because they're 42% and 55% fructose respectively. But HFCS is also 24% water, so HFCS 55 is only 21% glucose. That's the one in all the soft drinks.

Regarding cranberry and turkey, I don't know how people could not find that a natural pairing. Thats just how it's always been served and it's loving delicious, like pork and apple sauce, or duck and plum sauce. I've been vegetarian for going on 10 years but I always fail horribly at Christmas time because turkey with turkey gravy and cranberry sauce is like on of my favourite things in the world (I don't live in the US and turkey is a Christmas food food us). So basically hell yes I would eat those fried turkey balls so hard.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm frying a turkey for the sixth year in a row next week and I'm jazzed. We always inject it with butter. Also already excited about making stock with the carcass.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tiggum posted:

You sound a lot like my sister right now. She'll make pasta sauce with just tomatoes and garlic; doesn't see the point in putting in herbs, onion, pepper, etc. because she can't taste the difference. Basically what I'm saying is, just because other people experience something you don't that doesn't make it bullshit. Other people actually experience things differently to you. It sounds like you don't have a particularly good sense of taste. That's not a criticism, different people are just sensitive to different ranges of sensory information. But you should accept that other people aren't just making poo poo up, they actually do taste things in a way you don't. If you were blind, it wouldn't mean there was no such thing as blue. It's just something you can't personally experience.

Look, just let him enjoy his chicken nuggets and pasta with no salt in peace.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

How about y'all cleanse your pallets with some of the cheese chocolate I just bought?

It's described as "camembert and cheddar with smooth, rich white chocolate." It wasn't good. It was quite a strong cheddar flavour that didn't mix at all with the chocolate. Instead it was a bit like taking a bite of cheese and then a bite of white chocolate.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm frying a turkey for the sixth year in a row next week and I'm jazzed. We always inject it with butter. Also already excited about making stock with the carcass.

This is the most American thing ever, :911:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

rndmnmbr posted:

You can't convert fructose to glucose without an organic chemistry lab. You can convert sucrose into a fructose and a glucose because it's a dimer of the two, but that's only useful for playing tricks with sucrose crystallization, because your body does it anyways after ingestion. I highly suspect your apple intolerance is caused by something else in the apple.

Ah cool. My doctor lied to me. Swell.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Picnic Princess posted:

Ah cool. My doctor lied to me. Swell.

Might be this allergic reaction to raw apple?

http://research.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/informall/allergenic-food/index.aspx?FoodId=2

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

bike tory posted:

There are two kinds of HFCS, HFCS 42 and 55, named because they're 42% and 55% fructose respectively. But HFCS is also 24% water, so HFCS 55 is only 21% glucose. That's the one in all the soft drinks.

Regarding cranberry and turkey, I don't know how people could not find that a natural pairing. Thats just how it's always been served and it's loving delicious, like pork and apple sauce, or duck and plum sauce. I've been vegetarian for going on 10 years but I always fail horribly at Christmas time because turkey with turkey gravy and cranberry sauce is like on of my favourite things in the world (I don't live in the US and turkey is a Christmas food food us). So basically hell yes I would eat those fried turkey balls so hard.

I can't believe i forgot the water. Thanks for the correction.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oral allergy syndrome

it's the same as what bfc superstar blue story's husband had. specific to raw fruits and veg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Not sure if it's a fruit allergy. Most fruits, all candy, sweet things in general give me intense painful nausea as soon as it hits my stomach. Apple juice and gummy candies are the worst offenders, one sip or a single gummy bear leaves me in pain for an hour plus. No symptoms in the mouth or throat at all.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Look, just let him enjoy his chicken nuggets and pasta with no salt in peace.

Pasta, especially spaghetti, is best served with just butter, garlic and heaping amounts of kraft grated parmesan cheese, the stuff in the green plastic jar. And I've already covered that I'm not a fan of the "upscale" adult version of chicken nuggets, boneless wings.

anyway tiggum it's not that I can't taste the difference, I just find talking about it insufferable. Even if I agree with the "foodie", I'd rather just eat it instead of picking it apart like a judge on cutthroat kitchen.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Zipperelli. posted:

This is the most American thing ever, :911:

Right? I always feel so gross doing it but oh man is it good.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

OK, I'm an IT guy, not a biologist, but wouldn't just making sure the turkey's cooked to the proper temperature render whatever Salmonella that was on it, or in it, dead? I mean, that's why we cook food in the first place. With any kind of poultry, or eggs, I always assume that it's got some sort of crap on it, and make sure to clean and cook it properly. That said, of course, while I'm pondering making traditional eggnog for the holidays with raw egg.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not necessarily. Some bacteria create toxic chemicals that can survive cooking even if the bacteria are all dead. That's why you can't just take a rotten piece of meat and cook it and be fine. Eliminating the live bacteria isn't enough if it's been heavily contaminated for a while.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Grand Fromage posted:

Not necessarily. Some bacteria create toxic chemicals that can survive cooking even if the bacteria are all dead. That's why you can't just take a rotten piece of meat and cook it and be fine. Eliminating the live bacteria isn't enough if it's been heavily contaminated for a while.

True. I know that's the case with botulism, but Salmonella seems to be so much more common as far as food bacteria. Along the lines of e. Coli. And as far as I can tell, sickness due to Salmonella is caused by actual infection from live bacteria rather than residual toxin. I guess that's probably why it's a bad idea to lick raw turkeys. I dunno, I plan to eat turkey with no fear. We have a 25 pound beast too, defrosting in the refrigerator. Of course, we have to deal with 18 guests too, so I'm thinking not much will be left.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Also, please put your turkey in the fridge after it's been out a couple of hours; don't leave it out all day. Clostridium perfringens spores not destroyed by the relatively low cooking temps will germinate and secrete toxins that cause food poisoning if your turkey is left out too long.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you're not cooking a ham for thanksgiving

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pasta, especially spaghetti, is best served with just butter, garlic and heaping amounts of kraft grated parmesan cheese, the stuff in the green plastic jar. And I've already covered that I'm not a fan of the "upscale" adult version of chicken nuggets, boneless wings.

anyway tiggum it's not that I can't taste the difference, I just find talking about it insufferable. Even if I agree with the "foodie", I'd rather just eat it instead of picking it apart like a judge on cutthroat kitchen.

To each their own. But people that give a gently caress and know what they're talking about aren't just talking out of their rear end.

Wait. Maybe if they were, you'd eat it!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

To each their own. But people that give a gently caress and know what they're talking about aren't just talking out of their rear end.

Wait. Maybe if they were, you'd eat it!

the "and" there is pretty key. My money would be on there being far more people who talk like they know what they are talking about than those who actually do.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

the "and" there is pretty key. My money would be on there being far more people who talk like they know what they are talking about than those who actually do.

You don't need an advanced to degree to know that you think something tastes good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

You don't need an advanced to degree to know that you think something tastes good.

Nor do you need one to understand why it does.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

i never said you do, you are putting words in my mouth when you should be putting rear end in to my mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

i never said you do, you are putting words in my mouth when you should be putting rear end in to my mouth

I am not. I'm having a conversation? Not everything on the forums has to be an argument.