Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m surprised that people are so out of sorts about fallout 4 consider fallout three was also about a parent child relation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Golden Bee posted:

I'm surprised that people are so out of sorts about fallout 4 consider fallout three was also about a parent child relation.

The ending of Fallout 3 (pre- and post-DLC) is so poo poo rear end garbage that it overrides anything else I may remember from the plot

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pararoid posted:

I saw some goons posting that they want the game to just be New Vegas again, sure, I agree, then I played the beta of 76 for about 5 hours, had no real issues and generally enjoyed the gameplay since unlike Fallout 4 this game doesn't force a painful character onto the PC.

It seems like this might almost come as a shock to some, but I'm really enjoying just exploring a huge amazing map with no amateur narrative weighing it down, and yeah I got DCed once, which is literally nothing compared to even a Blizzard launch.

It's pretty easy not to have an amateur narrative when there is no narrative at all.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

I’m surprised that people are so out of sorts about fallout 4 consider fallout three was also about a parent child relation.

it's less about the fact Fallout 4 is about parent child relations and more the way it shoves it down your throat and takes control over what kind of character you are. You aren't allowed to give yourself your own motivations, you just have to yes/no/sarcastic yes/question.

that said fallout 3 is also very not good narratively but I think people just remember it more fondly because it was something new and different. It holds up insanely poorly compared to other games.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The only thing I remember about fallout 4's main quest is I had a glitch where my character and wife were white and the baby was black, and the first thing I saw in the living room was a pack of cigarettes, to which my character asked where they came from. Made it really hard to care about "HAVE YOU SEEN MY BABY?"

Also fallout 3 looks like a greenish gray-brown soup with talking potatoes. That game aged horribly.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bethesda needs to stop relying on the dumb pip boy flashlight because it makes ugly games look even uglier.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Bethesda needs to stop relying on the dumb pip boy flashlight because it makes ugly games look even uglier.

If you're wearing a mining helmet your Pip-Boy light becomes the flashlight on the helmet. :awesomelon:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Mr Hootington posted:

Do not forget that scorchbeats like the other high level rare monsters drop lovely loot.

Weirdly, deathclaws seem to drop an absurd amount of good loot. And a lot of stuff that a deathclaw should have no business carrying around, like gears, and various weapons. It feels like they're rolling from a loot table for them that's particularly generous compared to other mobs. Almost like they added their loot tables early on and didn't really bother to balance them or a lot of other mobs.

The main thing you get from scorchbeasts though is their body parts which can be grilled for food that heals for a whopping 200hp - that's almost a full health bar. They'll also often hold random high level weapons and other poo poo too as well. But it's generally not worth the trouble to deal with them for that.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
ok which one of you goons have been poop socking since release

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how's the map? I liked the density and variety in the early area, but does the rest feel good?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
I’m really enjoying this game. Have come across no bugs, loving playing as a stealth/medical character and just exploring. Highlight has probably been the quest from the dude locked in the fridge, the follow up message once you find his stuff is A+

Used to Fallout games being a bit more light hearted but grateful for a not having to play a character with a preset goal. The dad/son stuff always felt ooc for me.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

As much of a trainwreck as this game is, I think they did really well with the soundtrack. Inon Zur is very talented, and the Copilot cover is great.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Nichael posted:

As much of a trainwreck as this game is, I think they did really well with the soundtrack. Inon Zur is very talented, and the Copilot cover is great.

The Copilot cover starts with the opening notes of The Ink Spots’ “Maybe” instead of whatever John Denver did

I feel pandered to

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Got to level 50 today, don't think there's many more quests to do but overall still having fun today. Spent alot of time hunting wanted people down to hurl movie quotes at them. Hoping the population dips and it can be a solo experience so I'm gonna get my hunting out before people stop going wanted.

If you plan on using the gauss rifle and you are just throwing away steel and lead. Make 2mm EC ammo for yourself, they should really bring down the level on the gauss rifles so they show up sooner.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mp5 posted:

The Copilot cover starts with the opening notes of The Ink Spots’ “Maybe” instead of whatever John Denver did

I feel pandered to

Yeah it's pretty pandering, but it's a good cover overall.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Spacedad posted:

You mean cliff racers.

Scorchbeasts are basically this game's cliff racers. They're about as irritating and fun-ruining as those things used to be.

Not saying is wrong. But one helped me in the man versus machine war of watoga.

Mr Hootington posted:

Do not forget that scorchbeats like the other high level rare monsters drop lovely loot.

Because thats not how loot work in this game. Loot is based on monster rarity. You want to kill x y z master monsters. Like supermutant fighter master, these drop legendaries. Legendaries are like exotic weapons in Destiny.

Master monsters have multiple health bars (but are not visible, they appear only has the monster 'healing' when is about to die).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Played from level 1 to 12 today and had fun. Kind of surprised because I was expecting the game to be poo poo. It's just Fallout 4 without a main story and you occasionally run across real players. It will probably keep my interest until I run out of quests.

Bugs aside, how are bases supposed to work? I haven't bothered building one yet, see a bunch of people talking about things disappearing.

Freakbox posted:

Hey so- The only thing stopping me from getting this is hearing that there is a significant lag/decrease in quality in the ps4 pro. Was I just hearing things? It seems like a game I'd enjoy but not if it's a stuttery mess. :ohdear:

I can't comment on other versions, but I have a Pro and the game was running pretty lovely in certain buildings/areas. Felt more like performance issues than lag or whatever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

As Nero Danced posted:

I know it's because they recycled as many assets as they could from fallout 4, but it says something about how weak Bethesda's art direction is that an extra 200 years of decay does absolutely nothing to vehicles or buildings in the fallout world.

It makes their textures blurry apparently.

Pararoid posted:

I saw some goons posting that they want the game to just be New Vegas again, sure, I agree, then I played the beta of 76 for about 5 hours, had no real issues and generally enjoyed the gameplay since unlike Fallout 4 this game doesn't force a painful character onto the PC.

It seems like this might almost come as a shock to some, but I'm really enjoying just exploring a huge amazing map with no amateur narrative weighing it down, and yeah I got DCed once, which is literally nothing compared to even a Blizzard launch.

Here's the thing though, a Blizzard launch might be shakey but the core gameplay and production quality is solid if you're into those games, some of the best in the business. Lootboxes and Diablo Immortal aside. Fallout 76 looks like an ugly game from 10 years ago and plays just as bad, and the content is almost non-existent.

There is fun to be had, don't get me wrong: my friend and I have had a blast just wandering around ignoring all quests and playing house builder, but it says a lot about the game when most of the fun is ignoring the actual unique content and playing a shittier version of The Sims.

The game is a total piece of poo poo and it's disgusting this was $60. I mean, it didn't even have to be New Vegas, but it just had to be good and it's not even close to being good.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

s.i.r.e. posted:

It makes their textures blurry apparently.

Here's the thing though, a Blizzard launch might be shakey but the core gameplay and production quality is solid if you're into those games, some of the best in the business. Lootboxes and Diablo Immortal aside. Fallout 76 looks like an ugly game from 10 years ago and plays just as bad, and the content is almost non-existent.

This seems really strange to me, I can barely make it from one place to another without being offered some quest or event, and no they aren't Shakespeare, but they also really aren't trying to be, unlike many of the more unfortunate previous entries into the series.

As for graphics, well I can't run it on the maximum setting in any case, so I'm probably not in the category for whom that's a deal breaker.

I'm not arguing against people who just don't like it or who have had problems; that's the case with any game, but I think the suggestion that it's somehow an objectively bad game or a game with significantly more bugs than the average multiplayer open-world survival game is just wrong.

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 18, 2018

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
drat, my first ever quote is not edit.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

People getting real vitriolic about Fallout meets Minecraft. Must be weird to get so angry about video games.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
yeah cool people dont get mad at videogames in the videogames forums

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pararoid posted:

This seems really strange to me, I can barely make it from one place to another without being offered some quest or event, and no they aren't Shakespeare, but they also really aren't trying to be, unlike many of the more unfortunate previous entries into the series.

There's quests everywhere, but they're all the same and meaningless. Where in Fallout you meet actual people and influence their lives and events within the game, everything has already happened so the outcome to every quest is "How did this person die and where is the body." Or "What stupid bullshit task does this robot want done?" In the end what does doing any of this do? Well, nothing, because it's all been done and you just learn about it. There are no hand crafted events to experience, all events are terrible waves of enemies attacking for no reason. There's no one with any purpose, there are no struggles or conflicts among different people, family or factions. There are no moral decisions to make or sides to take.

No one is asking for Shakespeare, but they're asking for something.

Pararoid posted:

I'm not arguing against people who just don't like it or who have had problems; that's the case with any game, but I think the suggestion that it's somehow an objectively bad game or a game with significantly more bugs than the average multiplayer open-world survival game is just wrong.

The game's being poo poo on across all fronts; I think it's pretty safe to say it's objectively bad. Also I don't know what games you've been playing but I've never played anything as unrefined, unfinished and so technically broken as Fallout 76. In the year of our lord, 2018, a first person PC shooter was released without a FOV slider, it's baffling.

Also, I'm saying this as someone who's still enjoying playing this with friends. To a certain degree, anyway.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

Asphyxious posted:

People getting real vitriolic about Fallout meets Minecraft. Must be weird to get so angry about video games.

real talk: this is nothing compared to the news of 3 being a FPS :corsair:

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
the Fallout franchise has been supposedly dying ever since Fallout 2 had too many Monty Python references or whatever. every game has been the death of the series. :corsair::corsair::corsair::corsair:

anyways I'm one of those dum dums that bought it at full price and is having a lot fun despite it definitely being boring and kind of crappy

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Honestly, I'd have bought the game outright if this was just "hey we licensed out the game to an unrelated studio, its on unreal and is basically a reskin of another game they were making with our backing". Fallout™ Spinoff with Co-op would have been fun as hell.

Instead it's apparently some chimera of multiple game studios with the mandate that they use Morrowind Engine 4.0 or whatever iteration its on and will likely be the base of the next mainline game as well.

If they actually follow through on the "we'll fix it up and add more content, honest!" poo poo I might give it a try in the future.

Asphyxious posted:

Usually the people who type the traditional "who gets mad at video games? seriously weird!" posts end up being the most neurotic/meltdown prone of all, so :colbert:.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The amount of posts saying "the game clearly has crippling flaws and kind of sucks, still love playing though" is seriously reminding me of all those "still love the car though" comments you hear from tesla owners when they are tweeting about their cars catching fire with themselves and their children still inside.

It's ok goons, the game is bad, nobody will judge for admitting to your poor purchasing choice.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
a scorched clipped through the wall and bugged out and my computer caught on fire and my kids died RIP :(

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

"game bad" - me frothing at the mouth with unbridled rage

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Eraflure posted:

"game bad" - me frothing at the mouth with unbridled rage

lol

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pararoid posted:

As for graphics, well I can't run it on the maximum setting in any case, so I'm probably not in the category for whom that's a deal breaker.

s.i.r.e. does have a point but I am getting the feeling that a lot of people heard a guy in a video say it has no content, and thats the new talking point for people that haven't played the game to talk poo poo about the game. Something about this game in particular is fun to hate for a lot of people.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
WTF... Bethesda account name is your character name? Who decided that was a good idea? I don't rp but I do like rp-friendly environments so I'm not running into Pu55yslayer1985 and xxemo_sith_lordxx. I mean, I'm sure they're cool kids or whatever. But still.

Speaking of my immersion, they finally fixed this goddamned sign and I couldn't be happier (in FO4, it said STATIONARY :eng99:).

Aside from needing to add push to talk and chat, I'm enjoying the game. I'm not really a social person so if you talk to me I'm just going to run back to my shack on the mountain and play with garbage.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Something about this game in particular is fun to hate for a lot of people.

Gee I wonder what, the fact that it's obviously broken to a point that would be embarrassing for a no budget, 2 person development team indie game, let alone one of the biggest and most profitable publishers in the world? The fact that they shat this out like a year before they should have with no content as a result? The fact that it shows that Bethesda always has a lower point to reach than you previously thought possible and seem to have active contempt towards building actual working games at this point? The fact that they can't even manage to get the most basic elements of a multiplayer game down which led to hilariously stupid things like the speedhack/framerate nonsense? They fact that after all this they still charge a full 60 dollar price tag on top of the inevitable Fallout funbux microtransactions?

Oh boy, I'm just so mad at videogames!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 18, 2018

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

khwarezm posted:

Oh boy, I'm just so mad at videogames!

lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

s.i.r.e. does have a point but I am getting the feeling that a lot of people heard a guy in a video say it has no content, and thats the new talking point for people that haven't played the game to talk poo poo about the game. Something about this game in particular is fun to hate for a lot of people.

It's because it's a low effort attempt by Bethesda (a 400+ large development studio) to get money by reusing assets from previous games and throwing a (very buggy, unfinished) game with no story or narrative at full price (with microtransactions!) into stores so they can focus more resources on their already announced flagship title coming out soon. It rubs people the wrong way

If you enjoy it, that's great. But it's understandable that people look at this release with some concern

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 18, 2018

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The game is out, there are lots of people here who are playing it, I among them, and it would be nice to have a place to talk about the game and not the company, or the industry or how every bug that someone somewhere has encountered would be loving EMBARRASSING for a 2 person dev team where one of the devs is a dead cat and the other is a microwaved bag of poo poo and its all reused art assets from morrowind.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

lovely Wizard posted:

Usually the people who type the traditional "who gets mad at video games? seriously weird!" posts end up being the most neurotic/meltdown prone of all, so :colbert:.

Why did you vote for trump?

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Find it strange that people respond to legitimate criticism with "lol u mad at game"... You are essentially acting in defense of companies/people ripping you off, why would you do that? It's not outlandish or petulant to expect quality in a product surely...

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Ligament posted:

real talk: this is nothing compared to the news of 3 being a FPS :corsair:

I too remember “lol oblivion with guns”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
This doesn't excuse things but almost every game in existence has horrible bugs or jarring bugs. And on top of that most "AAA" games are bad console ports on PC these days. Bethesda is only unique in that their engine is extremely dated and leads to even more awkward issues like needing a FPS/FoV lock.