Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How long does it take for an immortal to rule before people start getting suspicious? Having to hold my Undying Throne against other would-be rulers, immortals, and for all I know adventurers wanting to kill the Liche Imperator sounds like a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

In case anyone is wondering, the Seamless Robe of Jesus is absolutely worth nicking even at the risk of making the society kick you out.

national tax +10%, learning +1, same religion opinion +5, prestige and piety both +0.50/month

Omnicarus posted:

My current game has, for three generations, ruled three counties in Italy as direct vassels of the Pope while becoming Magi in the Hermetic Order. The first in this line made a handgun artifact. Since then, the family's hobby has been destabilizing the whole Europe and Africa by poo poo talking the kings and emperors to a point that they offer to duel, then Indiana Jones'ing them right off the bat without mercy. This had led to only West Francia not being a total mess on the map, I mean random start doesn't create as much chaos as an rear end in a top hat with a pistol and euphoria potion.

This is amazing, I love it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Game's not over until everybody's inbred.

Divine blood is obviously one of the choices everyone should pick when a region is reformed. African sister marrying with a touch of ancestor worship only I, the head of the religion, can confirm has worked out so far. They had the nerve to ask me if a guy who killed one of my previous rulers in battle should be venerated. gently caress you lowborn head of the holy order, not happening.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So that's neat, just had an unreformed pagan ruler ask for his realm to be mass-baptised into my king's reformed pagan faith - I'd assumed pagans could only mass-convert to Christianity or Islam.

Also, I'm sad there's no "Skulls for the Skull Throne" achievement - my dynasty's accumulated almost a dozen trophy skulls, plus an artifact 'head of a great hero'.

Angry Salami fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 18, 2018

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

deliberately hunting down all of the other immortals as an immortal sounds like an interesting challenge

There can only be one.

*princes of the universe starts playing*

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I got sick of my Sweden game because my really awesome dual-bloodline sons got landed as kings of encroaching nations and I only had lovely heirs, so I started an African pagan game as the high chief of Songhay. Never played African, so I'm excited to try it out with all the HF expansion stuff.

Immediately when I start I get an event where I fall in love with the beautiful wife of my vassal on my own wedding night. I slowly woo her during hunting parties and gatherings, and she falls in love with me...eventually I get the chance to save her from her cruel husband by dueling him. I kill him and take her as my concubine.

Goty.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Torrannor posted:

By the way, what's the requirement for "delving into the classics" to rediscover Hellenic paganism? I'm trying a shattered world start, because it's a bit of a let down to refound hellenic after you've already won the game (became Roman Emperor). I'm the doux of Hellas and have the scholarship focus, what am I missing that the decision doesn't pop up for me?
Gotta:

1. Have hellenism on in game rules (duh)
2. Be adult
3. Be christian
4. Not be a heretic.
5. Be Greek/Italian/Roman
6. Lunatic/Possessed/Scholar/Mystic/Scholarship focus
7. Completely control a county with a Hellenic holy site - Atheniai in Hellas should work
8. Not be a theocracy, or already secretly hellenic, or have done it already, or have Hellenic already reformed
9. Capital is either in world_europe_south_italy or world_europe_south_east, which the comment says is "Italy or Greece"

cheesetriangles posted:

I think Byzantium is just loving buggy. Suddenly my oldest male child I can't nominate for ruler anymore. I have no idea why. After saving the game exiting the game and reloading half an hour later he isn't able to be heir anymore. He had 600 support before I quit. He is despot so counts as born in the purple. I give up until they fix this poo poo.
The main non-obvious thing for the Byzantine and Roman elective system is that "disfigured" people cannot be candidates. This includes the actual disfigured trait that makes you wear a mask, plus blinded, eunuch, dwarf, clubfooted, hairlip, and inbred; I guess blinding and disfiguring are the main ones that could happen in the meanwhile.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 18, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Strudel Man posted:

Gotta:

1. Have hellenism on in game rules (duh)
2. Be adult
3. Be christian
4. Not be a heretic.
5. Be Greek/Italian/Roman
6. Lunatic/Possessed/Scholar/Mystic/Scholarship focus
7. Completely control a county with a Hellenic holy site - Atheniai in Hellas should work
8. Not be a theocracy, or already secretly hellenic, or have done it already, or have Hellenic already reformed
9. Capital is either in world_europe_south_italy or world_europe_south_east, which the comment says is "Italy or Greece"

Ah I see, Athenai itself was held by a vassal. Problem solved, thanks!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I love that "make a friend" is an ambition now.

"So sire, what is your grand ambition? Become Paragon of Virtue? Be Exalted among Men? Conquer Scandinavia?"
"No, I just want someone to talk to.... :smith: "

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Ah I see, Athenai itself was held by a vassal. Problem solved, thanks!
Huh. Actually that shouldn't prevent it, I don't think; completely_controls includes stuff controlled by your vassals.

Also, I am utterly unable to rid myself of the society of jesus. I burn and I burn and I burn, and they keep cropping up. Half my children are winding up "highly suspicious." Help.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 18, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lt. Lizard posted:

I love that "make a friend" is an ambition now.

"So sire, what is your grand ambition? Become Paragon of Virtue? Be Exalted among Men? Conquer Scandinavia?"
"No, I just want someone to talk to.... :smith: "

Yeah it's a free diplomacy rank. Start up, go carousing, make a friend two minutes in, grab the game master trait, and you're golden

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I'm trying to get the Boulogne crusading achievement but can't tell what are the exact requirements for it. The file doesn't really explain much.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Heh:

Also, there's this old Norse mystic lady in my court. She's my court physician (along my other court physician - I have two) and I have no recollection of hiring her. Is this some sort of sneaky thing the game is doing to me (maybe she's a ~witch~) or did I just click something without reading it?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Oh my god. I know nobody will likely care, but I have to share this.

So in my game, I started as the Italian duke of Tuscany, got independence, declared a kingdom, whatever, point is, I ended reforming the Roman empire and adopting hellenism only right then to see what the event would look like. (Had to rewind time a bit to imprison as many people as I possibly could before declaring that hellenism was the state religion now, thanks. Turns out they really don't like it.) Reformed the religion with ancestor worship.

A century or so of conquest later, I invade the Abbasids and conquer to their eastern border, more or less India. Half a decade later I get a notice that some Rajput duke has been declared a blessed ancestor, which is odd as I've barely even looked at India. Turns out, the guy's entire realm is Hellenic, under a child Hellenic Rajput king who looks surprisingly western. That king's father was Maharaja Darius the Great - son of a Roman baron in the Roman Egyptian province of Aswan, he somehow made his way to Rajputana, acquired Rajput culture, and peacefully usurped the kingdom; he and his sons managed to convert virtually all of it to Hellenism in the seven years that have passed since his accession. It's not a tiny kingdom, either; it encompasses about half of de-jure Rajputana, plus most of Sindh, Punjab, Kashmir and Transoxania.

Crazy.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I kinda like that this game now has a million different white people faces to correctly represent the ethnicities of different parts of Croatia, but Arabs still look the same from Baghdad to Portugal.

At least they look good now 😸

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

pidan posted:

I kinda like that this game now has a million different white people faces to correctly represent the ethnicities of different parts of Croatia, but Arabs still look the same from Baghdad to Portugal.

At least they look good now 😸

Andalucians look the same as Spanish people though don't they? Just with the Arab clothes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How do I merge bloodlines? I want to breed the Kwisatz Haderach.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Matrilineal marriage and incest

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
The Seamless robe does have a drawback, which is that then every pope demands it as the price of a papal coronation.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

pmchem posted:

I want to try this game but I play on a 27" 1440p monitor. The font size is beyond small, totally unreadable. I tried various windowed resolutions and nothing really helped, because the DPI of my monitor is so high. I do not really want to play this full screen at 800x600, which is apparently what it was designed for.

Is there a UI overhaul mod available in steamworks that basically doubles all the font sizes?

FWIW, the UI Scaling option doesn't work well at small steps. I suppose if you're running it at 1.5 or 2x it looks good, but it looks blurry as poo poo at any scale you'd enjoy playing at.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1090096348 works really well though!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

If he got disfigured he becomes ineligible to be elected emperor. Also in regards to commanders, you can always just recruit them from the intrigue tab or invite people to court. As the Byzantine Emperor its easy to recruit good generals.

I had my good son in the Makedonian run start dabbling in satanism and he got a disfigurement which disqualified him. I think a guy getting his face bashed in during battle might disqualify people as well. I know harelip etc. does. He also could have been castrated.

He will still get a claim on the throne when you die and he can Justinian II his way back through force despite disfigurements and murder everyone who wouldn't support him. to sort of game this, make him an Exarch and transfer a bunch of vassals to him, so he can easily rebel when your ruler dies and he can rule.

Blinding rebellious nobles to disqualify them is a solid strategy.

Makedon run ended up abandoned, good son dabbling in Satanism was replaced by lovely non-satanic son, non satanic son dies of dysentery on campaign shortly after succession and his 3 year old becomes count of I think Cairo? at this point. Other brother tries to become Emperor, loses gets murdered. black death kills most of the family. I decide to abandon because it will probably take a couple generations to get back to conquering the world since I was going for the restore rome achievement/hellenism I figure I should try again.

It wasn't my heir that got disfigured it was my emperor.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats generally seen as the most useful to vassalize, knights templar or hospitaller?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big dyke energy posted:

I got sick of my Sweden game because my really awesome dual-bloodline sons got landed as kings of encroaching nations and I only had lovely heirs, so I started an African pagan game as the high chief of Songhay. Never played African, so I'm excited to try it out with all the HF expansion stuff.

Immediately when I start I get an event where I fall in love with the beautiful wife of my vassal on my own wedding night. I slowly woo her during hunting parties and gatherings, and she falls in love with me...eventually I get the chance to save her from her cruel husband by dueling him. I kill him and take her as my concubine.

Goty.

Meanwhile, I went the other way and welp, Sigurdr Ring turned out to be reasonably good at dueling:

And that's with Old Age penalty and without War focus bonus. If he was under 50 he would have a PCS of 204.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats generally seen as the most useful to vassalize, knights templar or hospitaller?

Knights Hospitaller get ships, Knights Templar don't. If you find yourself in need of ships a lot, take the former. If not, you can take the latter for the very slightly higher amount of heavy infantry they get in exchange for not providing ships.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've had three consecutive ironman runs end early when my ruler got their head crushed in battle. in two of the runs it happened to their heir as well. is it just a really horrible idea to lead your armies in person now unless you have really good martial?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

i've had three consecutive ironman runs end early when my ruler got their head crushed in battle. in two of the runs it happened to their heir as well. is it just a really horrible idea to lead your armies in person now unless you have really good martial?

If your current ruler has a bad personal combat skill it's best not to have him lead armies (other than pure sieges?). Even if you're winning the battle, you'll get events that force you to fight and die or become a coward, depressed and so forth. That's what killed my Isabella :(

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Is it possible to see my treasury? IIRC, I could do that pre-holy fury.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I've been sitting in front of the Norse reformation screen for an hour. Send help.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is it possible to see my treasury? IIRC, I could do that pre-holy fury.

It's here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Sweet, thanks!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Game's not over until everybody's inbred.

Fair. I guess it's time for Revenge of the Hunchback. Would be nice if her upcoming kid inherited her strength. And was a boy. I already have three girls to start playing diplomacy with.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

pidan posted:

If your current ruler has a bad personal combat skill it's best not to have him lead armies (other than pure sieges?). Even if you're winning the battle, you'll get events that force you to fight and die or become a coward, depressed and so forth. That's what killed my Isabella :(

In my Norse campaign, I make every single character raid until they at least get the Viking trait. Everyone also has to join the warrior lodge. They'll become fighters either here or in Valhal! :black101:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just ended the 200k strong Children's Crusade by paying off its members to assassinate their leader.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
In my Africa game the Children's Crusade managed to win with me missing it untill I checked the bloodlines.

Which is annoying because I could have used the distraction to peel off another duchy from Egypt.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

KoldPT posted:

FWIW, the UI Scaling option doesn't work well at small steps. I suppose if you're running it at 1.5 or 2x it looks good, but it looks blurry as poo poo at any scale you'd enjoy playing at.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1090096348 works really well though!

That looks like what I'd need in order to play this game on a 1440p monitor. How many goons here use that scale_ui mod? In the steam comments I see some complaints of crashes when clicking on various buttons and using the mod. Anyone here see that mod cause crashes for them?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CommissarMega posted:

How long does it take for an immortal to rule before people start getting suspicious? Having to hold my Undying Throne against other would-be rulers, immortals, and for all I know adventurers wanting to kill the Liche Imperator sounds like a lot of fun.

I've had one immortal character. Nobody seems to care. In fact you get long reign bonus going uo to like +200

So what that your great-great-great grandkids are dying of old age

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Torrannor posted:

You likely did. As you go from count to duke to king, your highest level title determines the inheritance of all titles. But inheritance between kingdoms and empires are always separate. That doesn't matter if both are set to primogeniture for example, but if they follow different systems, or both are some form of elective (elective, tanistry), this can cause problems. The default inheritance system for newfound empires is usually gavelkind. Unless you've already adopted late feudal administration, then I think it's the system of your main kingdom (meaning if you already have primogeniture, the empire will have that, too).

In your case, you should not have created the empire title unless you were relatively sure that your character would live another ten years. As a pagan tribal, the newly created empire defaults to gavelkind. If your character had lived ten years, he/she could have changed it to eldership succession. Even then, I'm not 100% sure that both titles have the same electors, or if there are different elders deciding succession in both realms. If yes, those could still decide to give your titles to different heirs. If not, then your problems would have been solved.

Ok I get it. I just think the mechanics are incredibly stupid. Why would African pagans suddenly adopt the worst European style succession laws out of nowhere? Thanks for nothing Groogy.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
I'm having a weird issue in a Mongol play through: I started out as a tributary of Mongolia and before I could declare freedom my suzerain became a vassal under a new Khan and I can not longer declare war on them to free myself.

I thought the Free Tributary CB would transfer to their overlord but it does not, so I'm stuck being a tributary to a measly vassal khan and I would really not be giving them money and prestige!

My only though is to use the Invasion CB on them when I have enough pop to do so, otherwise...uh... help please?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fat Samurai posted:

How do I merge bloodlines? I want to breed the Kwisatz Haderach.

If you're playing pagan, Divine marriage is essential for smoothly getting bloodlines integrated

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mayor Dave posted:

If you're playing pagan, Divine marriage is essential for smoothly getting bloodlines integrated

Incest, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Phi230 posted:

I've had one immortal character. Nobody seems to care. In fact you get long reign bonus going uo to like +200

So what that your great-great-great grandkids are dying of old age

"The liege looks good for his age, i hope i look as good when im 1000 :downs:"
"You don't find that a bit suspicions?"
"Nah i'll tell you what's suspicious, I THINK JARL VOLGRIM MIGHT BE HAVING THE BUMSEX"