Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
"From beautiful downtown Oakland, California this is 99% Invisible and I'm your host Milken Prostrate."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
[terrible 8-bit noises]

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Casper makes the best mattresses for comfortable prostate milking. Stop milking your prostate on a lumpy, creaky mattress and try Casper today. Visit Casper dot com slash milk for a special discount. That’s Casper dot com slash milk.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

withak posted:

[terrible 8-bit noises]

:mad:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This is Marc Maron for Leeesaaa Mattress.

https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/e1-e1-sells-out-30

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

withak posted:

[terrible 8-bit noises]

What, you don't like the mysterious Brake Master Cylinder?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

~Coxy posted:

What, you don't like the mysterious Brake Master Cylinder?

Lmao I'm so happy I have a skip forward button.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Weedle posted:

We do... a lot of things... while listening to podcasts. Some people... drive to work. Others... play video games. Today, on This American Life... we’ll hear from a man who... milks... his prostate.

withak posted:

[terrible 8-bit noises]

Ahahahahaha :allears:

Goddamnit though, did this Pocket Casts update make playback effects universal instead of podcast-specific? Because I had custom speeds/effects set for just about every one of the ~30 podcasts I'm subscribed to and it seems to be treating them all the same now :negative:

Do I switch apps now? That's a pretty big feature to lose.

I could switch speed/playback effects every time I listen to a different podcast, but that'd be annoying as gently caress, especially when I didn't have to with this app before today.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ahahahahaha :allears:

Goddamnit though, did this Pocket Casts update make playback effects universal instead of podcast-specific? Because I had custom speeds/effects set for just about every one of the ~30 podcasts I'm subscribed to and it seems to be treating them all the same now :negative:

Do I switch apps now? That's a pretty big feature to lose.

I could switch speed/playback effects every time I listen to a different podcast, but that'd be annoying as gently caress, especially when I didn't have to with this app before today.

You can still set them to podcast specific. Go into the podcast subscription and click the gear then Playback Effects. Thing is you’re setting them up all over from the looks of things.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can still set them to podcast specific. Go into the podcast subscription and click the gear then Playback Effects. Thing is you’re setting them up all over from the looks of things.
Huh, yeah, seems like that's the case. Still annoying that I have to redo all my settings (I guess I'll just redo them on a podcast by podcast basis as new episodes get released), but at least that option is still there.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I updated earlier and checked the new stats page, which kindly let me know that since I started using Pocket Casts in June, I've listened to 15 days worth of podcasts :shepicide:

At least I haven't been using this as my podcast app ever since I started listening to podcasts regularly years ago. That number would be something staggering if so.

32 days since May with 28 days saved with variable speed.

How do you save podcasts for posterity?

Or I guess I can just save in ol’ Downcast.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Maneki Neko posted:

I only have commercial epub files, but the workflow you described preserves formatting for me when going from onedrive to ibooks. Is there any difference if you save to files from one drive, then open that in Apple Books vs using the "Send to Apple Books" option?

I tried just selecting the file from the list and opening it in iBooks and it works correctly that way. There's something in the actual previewing that is breaking it. Either way; I've got it working as needed, but I think work is going to shoot a ticket up to MS since our O365 team was completely puzzled about the behavior.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Before I go any crazier, there’s no way in Shortcuts to toggle a VPN connection state is there?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Anyone got recommendations for good offline rhythm games?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

coolusername posted:

Sex

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably looking for single-player tho.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

coolusername posted:

There's an iOS thread in the Games forum. I think people in the roguelikes thread like Crypt of the Necrodancer a lot. :shrug:

withak posted:

Probably looking for single-player tho.

You mean there's a multiplayer version???

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

coolusername posted:

I am straight up addicted to Arcaea at the moment. It’s kinda like Chunithm and Sound Voltex had a baby.

You need to be online for the “world” mode to unlock more songs, but anything already unlocked can be played offline just fine.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Two quick music app questions:

1. Is there a music app that will consistently stay on either while music is playing or while it's plugged in automatically? It seems like when I'm using the Music app, it will either use the 2 minute timeout setting or just randomly turn off, which is annoying while I'm driving.

2. In Android, there was an app called Rocket Player that allowed you to play music at different speeds, but you could set that as a permanent option (say, playing all music at 1.5X speed) and play all music at that speed and use playlists. From what I can see in the App store, most apps that change this work on a one song basis, not as a permanent setting. Is there an app available that does this?

Thanks!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For me the music app always keep playing music until the current playlist is over. Both on phone and iPad.

Don’t know about the second one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

1. Is there a music app that will consistently stay on either while music is playing or while it's plugged in automatically? It seems like when I'm using the Music app, it will either use the 2 minute timeout setting or just randomly turn off, which is annoying while I'm driving.

Thanks!

I use LeechTunes for this. The bonus is easier readability in the car.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Before I go any crazier, there’s no way in Shortcuts to toggle a VPN connection state is there?

Your VPN app would need to have Shortcuts built in. Of the two I use, NordVPN has and OpenVPN doesn’t.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Silly Burrito posted:

2. In Android, there was an app called Rocket Player that allowed you to play music at different speeds, but you could set that as a permanent option (say, playing all music at 1.5X speed) and play all music at that speed and use playlists. From what I can see in the App store, most apps that change this work on a one song basis, not as a permanent setting. Is there an app available that does this?

Thanks!

Why on earth would anyone want this?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Suqit posted:

Maybe they like funeral doom metal but have a busy schedule.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Suqit posted:

I like hearing music at different speeds. Brings a new dimension to instrumentals among other things. :shrug:

IUG posted:

I use LeechTunes for this. The bonus is easier readability in the car.

I'll check this out, thanks!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Suqit posted:

also, some people slow down songs when trying to learn to play tricky parts

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Suqit posted:

For when you’re listening to Busby 3D music 24 hours a day and coding Platform Masters.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

tankadillo posted:

For when you’re listening to Busby 3D music 24 hours a day and coding Platform Masters.

Pilot's license? What for?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to transfer call records and SMS from an android (motorola if it matters) to iPhone? So far I've tried move to iOS (didn't work for unknown reasons) Copy my data (said it worked, didn't) and some awful desktop app called dr.fone which unsurprisingly fails to initialize my iPhone.

I have text threads I'd like to get back into but I guess starting fresh is good too.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is there some app like Forest that I can use as a timer to record tasks and how long I spent on each of them (as well as start/stop time) and that lets me categorize each task and keeps history?

I know that there are invoicing apps that can do that kind of stuff but they're not 1-time purchases and I don't need to generate an invoice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I use Toggl for that. It’s free for what you wrote you want to do.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

I use Toggl for that. It’s free for what you wrote you want to do.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Okay, someone suggested Pocket City and it's fairly delightful.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

svenkatesh posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Cool, hope it works out for you. Just a FYI, the iOS app is basically just a dumbed down client for their web service. I don’t actually manage anything through the app but rather do it on the website. My workflow with it is I just type in a description and press start when I work on something and then sometime before I go to bed that day I’ll briefly review it on my computer and add any missing tags or throw it into a project if it’s not in one. This helps me remember what I’ve done that day too so it’s a bonus.

(If you’re into APIs they’ve got a pretty complete one. You can do everything through it.)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there an app, or a chain of apps, that will let me trigger my TP Link Smart Plug to turn on/off when the battery on my iPad goes beyond a % threshold? I hoped to do it with just IFTTT but it doesn't seem to have any trigger for the battery hitting a specific level.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Argue posted:

Is there an app, or a chain of apps, that will let me trigger my TP Link Smart Plug to turn on/off when the battery on my iPad goes beyond a % threshold? I hoped to do it with just IFTTT but it doesn't seem to have any trigger for the battery hitting a specific level.

Home Assistant would let you do this.
But it would also require running a home server(or Rapsberry Pi) on which to run the Home Assistant server.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Huh, this looks real useful. Fortunately, our household has a computer just for running server-y things. Thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fantastical is on a nice sale ($1.99/$2.99 for iPhone/iPad versions) if you've been waiting to grab those.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

astral posted:

Fantastical is on a nice sale ($1.99/$2.99 for iPhone/iPad versions) if you've been waiting to grab those.

Huh, I guess I’ll pick up the iPad version.

What website should I follow to find app sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh, I guess I’ll pick up the iPad version.

What website should I follow to find app sales?

I’ve found Appsliced to be pretty helpful.