Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mulva posted:

I mean has there ever been a good video game that implemented them?

Imperials ain't poo poo in Fire Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
So no.

e: To be clear, I have nothing against the Tau. I think they'd be amazingly fun as an army.....if, you know, there was a Kroot HQ choice so we could completely ignore the blue skinned jackasses.

vvvv and fair cop, that wasn't a bad game.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 18, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Are you knocking on Dark Crusade?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mulva posted:

So no.

e: To be clear, I have nothing against the Tau. I think they'd be amazingly fun as an army.....if, you know, there was a Kroot HQ choice so we could completely ignore the blue skinned jackasses.

Not using combined arms would miss the whole point of the Tau. The blue guys do the shooting, the birdmen do the chopping, there are airstrikes and cruise missile barrages everywhere. Their shortcomings are operational, not strategic or tactical.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Welp RT game. When you're a 7.5 foot tall catachan in archeotech power armor, it appears you can get a lot of mileage out of impersonating a space marine when trying to scare the enemy shitless.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mulva posted:

Aren't the only two games really Fire Warrior and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade/Soulstorm? There's a tau hero for Last Stand in DoW 2 but that barely counts.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
There hasn't even been a good miniature game that featured Tau :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JcDent posted:

There hasn't even been a good miniature game that featured Tau :v:

From what I’ve heard Infinity is actually a good ruleset, though?

:shrug:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mulva posted:

So no.

There was an all-kroot army list, I think in Chapter Approved 2004. It was actually pretty good.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Ronwayne posted:

Welp RT game. When you're a 7.5 foot tall catachan in archeotech power armor, it appears you can get a lot of mileage out of impersonating a space marine when trying to scare the enemy shitless.

I mean, anyone in archaeotech power armor could reasonably pull that off.

Or just a Catachan veteran, shirtless, with a red bandana and a huge loving knife.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Space Marines were an attempt to create artificial Catachans.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Aren't the only two games really Fire Warrior and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade/Soulstorm? There's a tau hero for Last Stand in DoW 2 but that barely counts.

*crosses finger* Please don't suck BFG:A2, please don't suck BFG:A2...

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I will defend Fire Warrior because as kinda crap as the game was it was my introduction to 40k, and yes I bought it pre-owned at gamestop because 10 year old me thought the fire warrior crouched on a pile of skulls was awesome.

Also, that game's depiction of bolters is still my head cannon on how they work and will be forever.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Werix posted:

I will defend Fire Warrior because as kinda crap as the game was it was my introduction to 40k, and yes I bought it pre-owned at gamestop because 10 year old me thought the fire warrior crouched on a pile of skulls was awesome.

Also, that game's depiction of bolters is still my head cannon on how they work and will be forever.

How did it depict bolters?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

chin up everything sucks posted:

How did it depict bolters?
Rocket launchers, basically.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BD8uiTUGw

holy heck was it a bad game

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Asehujiko posted:

Watch the intro movie here. Those things killing Taus are bolter rounds.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Bolter rounds are supposed to be rocket propelled and blow people apart on hit, so that's about right.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Fire Warrior was goddamn abysmal, but the trailer is a great 90 second intro to 40k for newbies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t-btrx_dAA

SKULLS. VIOLENCE. BUTT METAL.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Fire Warrior has a great novelization. Just a Tau grunt losing his mind as he runs into nonstop Video Game Bullshit like keycards and boss fight mechanics.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fire Warrior has a great novelization. Just a Tau grunt losing his mind as he runs into nonstop Video Game Bullshit like keycards and boss fight mechanics.
I should track that down sometime. I read it once years ago and really want to refresh my memory, because I remember really enjoying it.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Didn’t that novel say the main character was blessed by Khorne somehow?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Werix posted:

Watch the intro movie here. Those things killing Taus are bolter rounds.

Heck yeah, it just looks and feels brutal.
Bolters should be more powerful on the TT. And chainswords. And *gets lost in a 3 hour long rant about the TT*

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yes. There are two events I particularly remember from that novel:

1. He clowns on a squad of Dark Angels by literally running around them in a circle and causing them to have a friendly fire incident because they just hold their triggers and rotate in place.

2. The finale involves a demon repeatedly changing the god it's allied to because this is a 4-phase puzzle boss and you're going to like it, mister.

Not quite on par with the dialysis midget from the Word Bearers trilogy, but gloriously stupid nonetheless.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dachshundofdoom posted:

1. He clowns on a squad of Dark Angels by literally running around them in a circle and causing them to have a friendly fire incident because they just hold their triggers and rotate in place.

The most finely-honed, preternaturally skilled warriors that humanity has to offer, folks

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

The most finely-honed, preternaturally skilled warriors that humanity has to offer, folks

Some writers should never be allowed near a keyboard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yep. Not at first, but somewhere along the line Kais got Khorne's attention and blessing.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Is the NCO from the first level who's like, "The dropship crashed, I'm your mission control." actually dead in the crash and just your dude being possessed?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ronwayne posted:

Fire Warrior was goddamn abysmal, but the trailer is a great 90 second intro to 40k for newbies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t-btrx_dAA

SKULLS. VIOLENCE. BUTT METAL.

drat, that was great - i especially liked the ending

if you want a vision of the future, imagine the imperium's boot stamping on its own face ... forever

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kais the protagonist of Fire Warrior is now a legendary Tau Warrior nicknamed the Living Weapon. A recent novel revealed he was brought with the 4th expansion fleet Tau in statis. However his statis malfunctioned and as a result he was kept aware and awake, rather then asleep like normal for like more than a hundred years.
He spent that time running battle simulations in his head about how to kill anyone he encounters, downloading all the information the Tau Empire had about it's tech and its enemies and their combat abilities. As part of a Tau deal with the Dark Angels Kais is sent to eliminate one of their successor chapters. And he utterly decimates them until the chapter master orders a orbital strike on his own monastery they are fighting in, one of the few things Kais did not account for. However Kais survives the blast and the Tau recover him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 21, 2018

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kais the protagonist of Fire Warrior is now a legendary Tau Warrior nicknamed the Living Weapon. A recent novel revealed he was brought with the 4th expansion fleet Tau in statis. However his statis malfunctioned and as a result he was kept aware and awake, rather then asleep like normal for like more than a hundred years.
He spent that time running battle simulations in his head about how to kill anyone he encounters, downloading all the information the Tau Empire had about it's tech and its enemies and their combat abilities. As part of a Tau deal with the Dark Angels Kais is sent to eliminate one of their successor chapters. And he utterly decimates them until the chapter master orders a orbital strike on his own monastery they are fighting in, one of the few things Kais did not account for. However Kais survives the blast and the Tau recover him.his

Lmao I love 40k

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Kais is now the tau version of an Eversor assassin.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kais is now the tau version of an Eversor assassin the Doom Slayer.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

MonsterEnvy posted:

As part of a Tau deal with the Dark Angels

wat

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Kais is now the tau version of an Eversor assassin.
Shas'O D'uum Gai

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They're not important because they're not supposed to be important, I see. This makes them a really attractive choice to do anything with or write anything about.

So reaching waaaaayyyyy back to when they were first introduced the explicit design intention of the Tau was that they were not meant to be a major faction, they were meant to be representative of the innumerable small scale civs/empires that are tooling about the galaxy doing their own thing just off-stage of the major players. The idea was that there are thousands of "Tau Empires" out there so wouldnt it be cool to make your own? Hence why they started as this coalition of different species. Just like the missing space marine legions were meant to be a blank space for people to create their own chapters the Tau were meant to seed the idea that people could come up with their own unique races.

Except thats not how 40K has ever worked, people have always preferred to buy into established fluff rather than make their own. So simply by dint of being a named faction the Tau almost immediately became a major faction and the original design intention vanishes (also design intentions can go to hell when you realise you make a lot more money selling people stuff than encouraging them to make their own stuff). Which is why you have this weird contradiction of the Tau being simultaneously important and unimportant. This tiny empire on the fringes of the Imperium is also showing up at every major event and wrecking hive fleets and space marine chapters and whatever.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Without reading the book I'm gonna guess somehow the Dark Angels super secrets and the fallen are involved.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Lone Badger posted:

Kais is now the tau version of the Doom Slayer.
Not incorrect. He described a being a lot like him. Once of the first comparisons made was this.

A psychic plague was affecting the region, and appeared to be being spread by one of the Fallen. The Fallen was captured by the Angels of Absolution successor chapter. The Dark Angels struck a bargain with the Tau to take care of each other's problems. The Tau would eliminate the population of the Angels of Absolutions planet many who were hit by the psychic plague, along with the Angels of Absolution as having captured a Fallen they may know too much in the Dark Angel's eyes. The fact that they may have also been exposed to the plague is another bonus reason in their eyes to get rid of them. The Tau of the 4th Sphere meanwhile want to eliminate their non Tau allies, and also snuff out the psychic plague. However to avoid controversy, they want the Dark Angels to wipe them out so they have plausible deniability.

So the Dark Angels pick up the Fallen leave without explanation, then soon after a Tau ship comes along as they want take care of the angels of absolution as quietly as possible. So they send Kais in a Ghostkeel to wipe out the Angels of Absolution's Fortress Monastery alone. Which he nearly does.

The New Primaris marine recruits into the Dark Angels were finding this all super shady. Which is made worse when they find out the Dark Angels were wiping their minds and altering their memories about the shady stuff. When an injured Primaris makes it clear he remembers the tampering to the medic, the Dark Angels medic euthanizes him while talking out loud the poor man succumbed to his injuries.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 21, 2018

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

And this is why Orkz is best. So much less complicated and back asswards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It should also be mentioned that "Kais" is like "awesome" in stupid blue people, as there are like 3 entirely separate characters that have a vaguely similar name and people often mix up a few of them. So Shas'o Vior'la Kais isn't Shas'la T'au Kais isn't Shas'o T'au Kais. O'Shovah has a Kais in his full name too, it's practically filler in their ridiculously long names.