Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Max Wilco posted:

I remember one video I found where they said to use micro set and micro sol.

You've got it right, micro sol and micro set are what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Finished the Lord of Plagues this week. First time I've been actually pleased with OSL.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You've got it right, micro sol and micro set are what you want.

Well, sort of. Microset and microsol are key to getting really nice smooth transfers, but so are 'ardcoat (gloss varnish) and lahmian (sort of like matte medium). Duncan is actually skipping important parts of doing decals well because gw doesn't make the right product.

Step 1 is to gloss varnish the surface you're putting the decal on
Step 2 is to dampen the surface you'll be applying the decal to with microset
Step 3 is to soak the decal in water until the decal starts to separate from the paper, then slide it onto the dampened surface
Step 4 is to carefully wick moisture away from the surface that you've positioned the transfer on
Step 5 is to wait for it to fully dry, then coat the transfer in microsol. Use your brush to try to work out any wrinkles in the decal due to being on a curved surface. Repeat until the decal is completely smooth
Step 6 is to coat gloss varnish over the transfer again
Step 7 is matte varnish to get rid of the shine from the gloss.

You can do it without the gloss and matte, but you're more likely to still be able to see the clear edges of the decal. Following that process ends up in decals that look completely painted on.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Booley posted:

Well, sort of. Microset and microsol are key to getting really nice smooth transfers, but so are 'ardcoat (gloss varnish) and lahmian (sort of like matte medium). Duncan is actually skipping important parts of doing decals well because gw doesn't make the right product.

Step 1 is to gloss varnish the surface you're putting the decal on
Step 2 is to dampen the surface you'll be applying the decal to with microset
Step 3 is to soak the decal in water until the decal starts to separate from the paper, then slide it onto the dampened surface
Step 4 is to carefully wick moisture away from the surface that you've positioned the transfer on
Step 5 is to wait for it to fully dry, then coat the transfer in microsol. Use your brush to try to work out any wrinkles in the decal due to being on a curved surface. Repeat until the decal is completely smooth
Step 6 is to coat gloss varnish over the transfer again
Step 7 is matte varnish to get rid of the shine from the gloss.

You can do it without the gloss and matte, but you're more likely to still be able to see the clear edges of the decal. Following that process ends up in decals that look completely painted on.

Yikes, that's a lot of steps.

Another question, this time in regards to tools: I'm thinking that I should replace the clippers I have. They were a cheap pair that I got from WalMart, and I believe they were actually meant for jewelry, but they're getting dull. What would be a good pair to get?

I'll say that I've been looking at a model building kit on Amazon that comes with a bunch of tools including some hand files, (which I just bought a set of today :doh:), tweezers, a hobby knife, and flush cutters. However, I don't know if they're good quality or not, as they look pretty similar to the ones I have. I know Citadel sells a fancy-looking set of cutters, but I imagine those are probably overpriced.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Another question, this time in regards to tools: I'm thinking that I should replace the clippers I have. They were a cheap pair that I got from WalMart, and I believe they were actually meant for jewelry, but they're getting dull. What would be a good pair to get?

I'll say that I've been looking at a model building kit on Amazon that comes with a bunch of tools including some hand files, (which I just bought a set of today :doh:), tweezers, a hobby knife, and flush cutters. However, I don't know if they're good quality or not, as they look pretty similar to the ones I have. I know Citadel sells a fancy-looking set of cutters, but I imagine those are probably overpriced.

https://www.amazon.com/Xuron-2175ET-Professional-Sprue-Cutter/dp/B001TMZ7QA

These are about as good at it gets unless you want to be a stupid gunpla weeb and spend $60 on ones from japan that are probably 5% better.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Citadel cutters aren't bad. I got a set picking up the AOS: Paint & Tools set which is a pretty decent deal for 13 full pots of paints. It also comes with their mold line scraper, albeit without a full length handle which I corrected with some thermoplastic.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Booley posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Xuron-2175ET-Professional-Sprue-Cutter/dp/B001TMZ7QA

These are about as good at it gets unless you want to be a stupid gunpla weeb and spend $60 on ones from japan that are probably 5% better.

Those look good, and they seem to have a pretty slender blade (I sometime have issues trying to clip things close to the edge of the sprue). Thanks.

On the subject of files, I saw these Army Painter files in the related products. The files I bought today were these Husky files. and I noticed the Army Painter files have a different texture. Does it make a big difference?

I also got the Rustoleum 2x, and while I only tested it on one mini, it seems like it'll work well. There was a bit of a speckled look on it, but I don't know if it was because I didn't spray it enough, or because of the range/humidity (it was around 50% or so when I did it)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 18, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'd definitely recommend spending a bit more for something like these DSPIAE/Meng Nippers.

I used the Xurons for years, and they're fine, but I stepped up to the DSPIAE/Meng nippers recently and they're just worlds better. They cut things amazingly smoothly, and leave almost zero cutting damage or sprue nubs on your parts. Save so much time by reducing the need to clean up sprue nubs.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lupercalcalcal posted:

Finished the Lord of Plagues this week. First time I've been actually pleased with OSL.

Gross, in a good way

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cerastus Knight Castigator “Idaeus’ Vengeance” of House Konor, sworn to the Ultramarines 4th Company:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Hey, I found a style of painting I'd love to do, but my suspicion is that the answer to how to do it is "go buy an airbrush." Am I right?

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 18, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Hey, I found a style of painting I'd love to do, but my suspicion is that the answer to how to do it is "go buy an airbrush." Am I right?

Yes, that would need an airbrush

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Depending on what you're actually painting on alternatively you could just set up the light/dark variation with some spray primer. Use a stencil from a piece of cardboard with some holes cut in it and adjust the separation from the model to tune the feathering. Then just go over with it a glaze of your desired color.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Max Wilco posted:

Honestly you can skip some of those steps and still get away with it. I skip the initial gloss portion and only do it afterwards:

Still need micro sol and set, for the curved surface. You should do gloss and matte varnish afterwards anyway

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
For what it's worth, I've had good luck using plain old white vinegar for applying transfers. I think it has something to do with the acidic content in vinegar that makes it work so well.

Basically:

1. Gloss varnish.
    2. Apply a bit of vinegar to the surface you plan to apply the transfer.
    3. Put transfer on a wet surface, like a sponge or damp paper towel. Wait 30 seconds to a full minute, then using tweezers and a brush, gently slide the transfer off and onto the surface you want.
    4. Apply vinegar again. At this point, you can slide the transfer around and adjust as needed.
    5. Wait about 5 minutes, then gently dab away any leftover vinegar. Let it sit for a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
    6. Add matte varnish to seal the deal.

It basically follows the same steps as Booley, only you're using a common household item you can pick up at most dollar stores. Microsol/set is really good, and for some transfer jobs it's going to work better than mine, but if you're doing mostly flat/slightly curved surfaces then vinegar will do the job just fine.

The nuclear option for transfers is of course, Solvaset, but that stuff smells like :vomarine:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone have suggestions for pre-made bases that would match / pair well enough with the Warhammer: Underworlds Stormcast models?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd almost say the GW Shattered Dominion bases.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-SE/Shattered-Dominion-40mm-65mm-Round-Bases
At least thematically they might fit.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

For what it's worth, I've had good luck using plain old white vinegar for applying transfers. I think it has something to do with the acidic content in vinegar that makes it work so well.

Basically:

1. Gloss varnish.
    2. Apply a bit of vinegar to the surface you plan to apply the transfer.
    3. Put transfer on a wet surface, like a sponge or damp paper towel. Wait 30 seconds to a full minute, then using tweezers and a brush, gently slide the transfer off and onto the surface you want.
    4. Apply vinegar again. At this point, you can slide the transfer around and adjust as needed.
    5. Wait about 5 minutes, then gently dab away any leftover vinegar. Let it sit for a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
    6. Add matte varnish to seal the deal.

It basically follows the same steps as Booley, only you're using a common household item you can pick up at most dollar stores. Microsol/set is really good, and for some transfer jobs it's going to work better than mine, but if you're doing mostly flat/slightly curved surfaces then vinegar will do the job just fine.

The nuclear option for transfers is of course, Solvaset, but that stuff smells like :vomarine:

microsol and microset are really cheap and last forever since you don't use much of them. And I think max wilco is doing transfers onto marine shoulders, which is a pretty tough shape depending on which transfers you're using.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

I'd almost say the GW Shattered Dominion bases.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-SE/Shattered-Dominion-40mm-65mm-Round-Bases
At least thematically they might fit.

Don't LOVE them, but yea they could work. It's just such a pain digging through dozens and dozens of custom base pages on various online stores.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Don't LOVE them, but yea they could work. It's just such a pain digging through dozens and dozens of custom base pages on various online stores.

Yeah I hear ya, used to have a couple of bookmarks of base retailers but must've removed them at some point.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Coming soon, Citadel branded boxes to put your paints in - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/11/18/coming-next-week-project-boxes-tiny-titans-and-heroes-of-middle-earth/

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Booley posted:

Yes, that would need an airbrush

That's what I was afraid of, thanks.

darnon posted:

Depending on what you're actually painting on alternatively you could just set up the light/dark variation with some spray primer. Use a stencil from a piece of cardboard with some holes cut in it and adjust the separation from the model to tune the feathering. Then just go over with it a glaze of your desired color.

That's a nuts enough idea that I thought I'd give it a try. It's interesting. It certainly could work - when I tried it I ended up having a hell of a time aiming anything but with the right distances and a good sized hole I managed to get an effect that looks like what I'd guess a very clumsy airbrush could produce. I'll give it a try once I have a good model for it.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

DragonForge Ancient Ruins seem reasonable: http://dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/base_sets/sci-fi/ancient%20ruins.htm

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ohhh, I think I'll go with these. Cool. Thanks man.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I've assembled and primed some of the Chaos Warriors. I might have these ready to paint by the end of the year, assuming I don't get burned out.

Obviously there's speckling, and I don't know if that's because I was too close/far away, the humidity, or if I need to do two coats or something. Hopefully I didn't mess them up. I'm assuming it'd be fine to paint them as is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

or if I need to do two coats or something
It'd help. Just make them light.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Finished off my first unit of Acolyte Hybrids and Iconward! Super pleased with the bases... and the cultists too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cross posting from the AoS thread. These guys were a "test run" before I start the rest of my Stormcast.

Sab669 posted:

Got my Stormsire's Cursebreakers to a point where I'm content to call them finished yesterday:

I can't decide if I like the "Green with Silver Pauldrons" or "Silver with Green Pauldrons" look more. I might reserve the latter for unit leaders, or dudes with special weapons.

I also need to figure out what to do with the cloaks because it's such a large surface that only one color is WAY too much. Things I've considered:

* Second wash, second set of highlights because the highlights on there currently aren't extremely visible
* Do a separate color for either the cloak around the waist, or for the little tabard hanging down from the chest armor.

I've considered either a dark brown, like the leather straps on the leader's front, or a much lighter color almost like white but I can't decide. Thoughts?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

With the help of some people in the Historicals thread (thanks to Long, Ilor and Class), I have a box of Warlord Plastic US Airborne and all the things I think I need to paint.

Here's what I got, and I'm appreciate a heads up if I missed something big:
  • Models
  • Tamiya Extra Thin Model Cement
  • Snips, Diamond Files, Hobby Knife
  • A few brushes from Michael's (a #3, #2, #1, and #0)
  • A wet palette
  • Master's Brush Soap
  • Vallejo "Allied Forces" Model Color pack
  • A can of Rustoleum American Accents 2x Ultra Cover Primer in Grey

Does this seem like everything I need to get going? It's in the 40's here in PA, so I'm a bit worried that I can't actually get priming -- should it be manageable, or do I need to go find myself some paint-on primer?

Edit: Added wet palette

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 19, 2018

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JerikTelorian posted:

With the help of some people in the Historicals thread (thanks to Long, Ilor and Class), I have a box of Warlord Plastic US Airborne and all the things I think I need to paint.

• Models
  • Master's Brush Soap

Does this seem like everything I need to get going? It's in the 40's here in PA, so I'm a bit worried that I can't actually get priming -- should it be manageable, or do I need to go find myself some paint-on primer?

You'll probably need some kind of varnish if you plan on playing with them/handling them a lot.

Sab669 posted:

I also need to figure out what to do with the cloaks because it's such a large surface that only one color is WAY too much. Things I've considered:

* Second wash, second set of highlights because the highlights on there currently aren't extremely visible
* Do a separate color for either the cloak around the waist, or for the little tabard hanging down from the chest armor.

I've considered either a dark brown, like the leather straps on the leader's front, or a much lighter color almost like white but I can't decide. Thoughts?
They're already colorful, so adding more colors could bring them into clown territory. I'd go for deeper shadows and more highlights.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Electric Hobo posted:

They're already colorful, so adding more colors could bring them into clown territory. I'd go for deeper shadows and more highlights.

I was going to say focus on deeper shadows too, the highlights look good but there isn't much of a gradient going into the folds and whatnot.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

• Models
  • Master's Brush Soap

You need a palette. I recommend a wet palette (which can be made from $3 worth of stuff you may already have, see the OP) but you could also use a traditional well palette, or a ceramic tile.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

You need a palette. I recommend a wet palette (which can be made from $3 worth of stuff you may already have, see the OP) but you could also use a traditional well palette, or a ceramic tile.

Ah, I actually bought the parts for this! Thanks for reminding me.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JerikTelorian posted:

Does this seem like everything I need to get going?
As mentioned, you'll probably want some kind of matte sealer when you're all finished. I think Michael's carries Windsor & Newton matte sealer (in a rattle can) that works pretty well. But if you have a local model/hobby shop (the kind that sells automotive and airplane models), they will almost certainly carry Testors Dull-Cote, which is the gold standard in matte finishes.

One other thing to consider - how are you planning to do your bases?

JerikTelorian posted:

It's in the 40's here in PA, so I'm a bit worried that I can't actually get priming -- should it be manageable, or do I need to go find myself some paint-on primer?
I have an old box that I use as an overspray shield; When the weather sucks, I carry it out to the garage, spray my stuff, then immediately carry it back in and leave it in the downstairs bathroom with the fan turned on. Works like a charm.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ilor posted:

As mentioned, you'll probably want some kind of matte sealer when you're all finished. I think Michael's carries Windsor & Newton matte sealer (in a rattle can) that works pretty well. But if you have a local model/hobby shop (the kind that sells automotive and airplane models), they will almost certainly carry Testors Dull-Cote, which is the gold standard in matte finishes.

One other thing to consider - how are you planning to do your bases?

I have an old box that I use as an overspray shield; When the weather sucks, I carry it out to the garage, spray my stuff, then immediately carry it back in and leave it in the downstairs bathroom with the fan turned on. Works like a charm.

I have given pretty much no consideration to basing yet. I was thinking of mounting them to the provided bases with PVA just to hold them steady for painting, and that way I can yank em off if I want to do something else with them later?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, that'll totally work as a temporary solution.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted up the Lady Stormcast from the Easy to Build kit. She's a great characterful model.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That whole thing is great, but I especially love the colors on that cape, dude

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Sab669 posted:

That whole thing is great, but I especially love the colors on that cape, dude

Thanks, the cape is Xereus, then blended with Screamer Pink and Fulgrim Pink, a bit of Leviathan Purple in the recesses while the paint's wet. Final highlight of a really thin Fuglrim Pink again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Xuron talk: Is there any way to sharpen the blades up a bit? Mine seem to dull really quickly just cutting sprue.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'd definitely recommend spending a bit more for something like these DSPIAE/Meng Nippers.

I used the Xurons for years, and they're fine, but I stepped up to the DSPIAE/Meng nippers recently and they're just worlds better. They cut things amazingly smoothly, and leave almost zero cutting damage or sprue nubs on your parts. Save so much time by reducing the need to clean up sprue nubs.
How's the longevity? I'd be concerned about the blade hitting that flat surface repeatedly.