Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CestMoi posted:

Cant stand yhese avant garde magical men why camt they all be down to earth like david tibet

david tibet seems like pretty much the only neofolk dude that would be tolerable to have a beer with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Book Barn, I hope you find this as funny as I do:

https://twitter.com/Oniropolis/status/1060128815597436928

World's best reason to buy a book.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

chernobyl kinsman posted:

trying to read the iliad but i just cant get into it because some rear end in a top hat told me that troy loses

wait what

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

it might be particularly bad now but it's not new, aristotle was making GBS threads on the desire for spectacle in the 4th century BC

A direct link to Debord's book for no reason

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Hey TBB,

My friend confided in me that he's been trying to write his first novel for a while but finds himself deleting a lot of it/starting again. I'm not much of a reader myself so it wouldn't feel right for me to offer him a critique or even a dialogue while he writes but I reckon he would benefit from it (at least I certainly do with my creative pursuits). Where might someone go on the web to discuss their ideas, writing, post snippets or even whole chapters for critique?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The DPRK posted:

Hey TBB,

My friend confided in me that he's been trying to write his first novel for a while but finds himself deleting a lot of it/starting again. I'm not much of a reader myself so it wouldn't feel right for me to offer him a critique or even a dialogue while he writes but I reckon he would benefit from it (at least I certainly do with my creative pursuits). Where might someone go on the web to discuss their ideas, writing, post snippets or even whole chapters for critique?

Different subforum here -- check out creative convention.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Different subforum here -- check out creative convention.

Sorry and thanks!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The 2018 Book Barn Secret Santa is up! Check out the thread to ask questions or sign up.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
ive given it some thought and ive decided to become one of those people who argue that shakespeare was a secret catholic

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ive given it some thought and ive decided to become one of those people who argue that shakespeare was a secret catholic

wired: Shakespeare was catholic

tired: Shakespeare was gay

expired: Shakespeare was anybody other than Bill Shakspeare

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Shakespeare was two children sitting on each other's shoulders inside a trench coat

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Marlovian theory is most romantic theory.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
marlowe was catholic too. its catholics all the way down

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I am officially sick to death of John Bude, there is a reason these went out of print and it’s because they are horribly repetitive and dull.

Edit: Update, I am now angry at John Bude, he committed the cardinal sin of dropping information wot solves the case out of nowhere in the concluding chapter.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 19, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do you have any thoughts on the Dr Thorndyke series?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You have the be aware that R Austin Freeman was a terrible terrible man, racist, Luddite, hated the working classes and was a heavy proponent of eugenics and that does show through. His Books are a “product of their time” and tend to suffer from what to us would be over explantation of stuff like fingerprints to an audience that had never heard of them before and can drag.

Read them if you have an interest in forensics but otherwise give them a miss.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

[ASK] me how Henry IV, Pt. 1 was a coded anti monarchist plea for democracy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Shakespeare was a front for a freemason lodge

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a quick question that I’ve been unable to find an answer for using search or google.

I’m reading focault’s pendulum. There’s this weird thing where they censor location names, and I’m trying to figure out why.

“He began talking about his childhood in ***, as he had already done once with me”
“Uncle Carlo And aunt caterina lived in ***. Uncle Carlo came from a farming family and had inherited the *** house, with some land...”

Any help?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have a quick question that I’ve been unable to find an answer for using search or google.

I’m reading focault’s pendulum. There’s this weird thing where they censor location names, and I’m trying to figure out why.

“He began talking about his childhood in ***, as he had already done once with me”
“Uncle Carlo And aunt caterina lived in ***. Uncle Carlo came from a farming family and had inherited the *** house, with some land...”

Any help?

I haven't read that so idk if there's some specific reason in that book, but it's a very common practice in 19th century - early 20th century realist novels, because it allows the writer to neither commit themselves to describing a real place nor admit that the milieu is purely fictional. Crime and Punishment (Garnett) begins like this:

On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I've read Neal Stephanson's Snowcrash and Diamond Age, and really enjoyed each.

I recently started Quicksilver with the idea of reading The Baroque Cycle over the winter. I'm not sure I'm smart enough for this though... I'm about 150 pages in and feel like I'm missing out on a lot because I don't really know my British history or about the scientist in The Royal Society. I don't know who guys like John Hooke are and then I get confused if someone like "Roger Comstock" is an actual historical figure or just a fictional character for the book.

Should I continue reading this with the idea that I'll eventually get a better understanding of what's going on? I supposed I could have a wiki sitting besides me as I read it...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Do you like prostate milking erotica?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

The Grey posted:

I'm not sure I'm smart enough for this... I'm missing out on a lot .... I don't know who guys.. are ... I get confused
This was my experience reading Cryptonomicon.

I thought Snow Crash, and Reamde were a lot easier. Haven't really felt like reading more Stephenson.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Is there a highly regarded list of what we’re considered the best books of the 20th century? When I think of film I think of AFI’s for instance. Is there a good and reliable one for books?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

e: nm

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Himuro posted:

Is there a highly regarded list of what we’re considered the best books of the 20th century? When I think of film I think of AFI’s for instance. Is there a good and reliable one for books?

I have a book called 1001 books you must read before you die edited by Peter boxall, I’ve found it far far more useful than any internet list.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Himuro posted:

No. I looked at the 750 books listed for the 1900s in the 1001 books list, and immediately found what are, to me, glaring omissions. And I'm not that well read. But if you tell us what you're looking for, broadly, we can probably help you

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When you say glaring omissions do you mean sci-fi and fantasy? Because that’s going to be a whole different list.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Himuro posted:

I don't know about 'regarded' and 'reliable' but there are lists, yeah. I think it's gonna be hard to judge without at least thirty more years away from the period, so each one I looked at I was like "ehhh I guess?"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

learnincurve posted:

When you say glaring omissions do you mean sci-fi and fantasy? Because that’s going to be a whole different list.

I don't.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

lol of all the people to ask this of

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Here’s a hot tip - any list compiled using the popular vote is crap because it’s full of trash and topped by either Ayn Rand or Harry Potter. Lists compiled by critics are usually better but still bad, each one in its own way.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Here’s a hot tip - any list compiled using the popular vote is crap because it’s full of trash and topped by either Ayn Rand or Harry Potter. Lists compiled by critics are usually better but still bad, each one in its own way.

Yeah I noticed that when I saw a list it’d have loving Harry Potter in it and no, just no.

I’ll check this 1001 books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
anyway, general alert for those browsing the forum via bookmarks:

please note that the rules for this subforum have been clarified.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
tag yrself im the rule specifically written as a response to botl

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"try to post like someone who's actually interested in discussing books, because that's why we're here."

You know we're going to lose like, at least five regulars with this rule

(and good riddance)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

tag yrself im the rule specifically written as a response to botl

It's my fault. I've been (relatively speaking) flooded with reports lately (not all of them about BotL!) and there's been a thread in QCCS about Book Barn. I was trying to keep the shitposting and grandstanding and so forth contained by corralling different types of posts off into different threads, with different mores for different threads, and it kinda worked for a while, but over the past few months it's broken down.

My primary goal as moderator here is to encourage as many people as possible to participate in our subforum, and having different sets of rules for different threads is becoming a barrier to that -- when new people come into the forum, they don't know those long-standing habits, they don't understand why this thread is supposed to be effort-only but shitposting is fine over there, and that confusion leads to upset people and a lot of probations that probably wouldn't have been necessary if I had set clearer rules to begin with.

Fact is there is already a place for shitposting about books and it isn't here. This is the minimal-effort-required book forum.

So net result here is the forum as a whole needs clarity and that clarity is the general "don't shitpost" rule. As always, you can be a jerk, but you can't be a stupid or lazy jerk.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

StrixNebulosa posted:

"try to post like someone who's actually interested in discussing books, because that's why we're here."

You know we're going to lose like, at least five regulars with this rule

(and good riddance)

I too long for a less interesting forum because they make fun of books I like

Like Ras Het is a giant contrarian poseur but I wouldn't wish for him to be gone

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

contraria n poseur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

hieronymous alloyt please don't link to the good book thread in a place hwere people might see it