Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I'm unnerved that this is a sponsored product to that one. Link is NSFW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PRADA SLUT posted:

Your WORD ART says cuisine but your aesthetic says merde

This needs to be printed up as word art.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

big dyke energy posted:

e: on and here's some loving incomprehensible wall art

"leave as WelcomeF May all who guests came as (indecipherable)iends"? :psyduck:

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 12, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think it was made in MS Word. That's what you get when you move a picture around text.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No, wall stickers are just sold like that. They save material by condensing it into the smallest possible space for printing. For whatever reason the person who hung the sticker didn't reorder it properly.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Hot-Sale-New-English-Kitchen-Wall-Stickers-Wholesale-Can-Remove-Background-Love/32427833689.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cre...2768895649.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chr...2824145183.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thank goodness I can purchase these in wall sticker form
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/K-pop-Posters-BTS-Members-Wall-Stickers-Home-Decoration-Livingroom-Bedroom-Print/32849793525.html

Welcome to Homtopia Store !

Before order your poster, please NOTICE

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What was that 80s/90s trend of shapes and squiggles on a white field a reaction to? The bland browns of the 70s?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

What was that 80s/90s trend of shapes and squiggles on a white field a reaction to? The bland browns of the 70s?

The upcoming millennium, man

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

How could you not sing the Saved by the Bell theme every time you took a poo poo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What do you all suggest for sound insulation in an apartment? We have a shared wall with our next door neighbor on the bedroom/bathroom side. I know bookshelves help, and I plan on putting one up, but I only have so many books nowadays.

Do acoustic foam panels actually work?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Memphis design was the wave of the future via Italy and probably involved some drugs

“Good taste was the bad thing they were fighting against” says this article and they are probably right

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

What do you all suggest for sound insulation in an apartment? We have a shared wall with our next door neighbor on the bedroom/bathroom side. I know bookshelves help, and I plan on putting one up, but I only have so many books nowadays.

Do acoustic foam panels actually work?

Acoustic panels are for damping reflections within the room, basically make music etc. sound better.
Preventing sound from adjacent rooms entering needs rebuilding the wall to really be effective.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My new place has a guest bathroom almost exactly that size and layout, I feel like I'm looking into the future through the internet

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
prada has a bunch of displays of ‘80s’ italian geometric colorful art in front of some of their stores as a show of some sort

interestingly, much of it predates the 80s but it took that long for it to be picked up ‘mainstream’ so everyone tends to place it in the ‘90s Taco Bell in the mall’ era

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Everything that happened before 1990 happened at the same time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have come to the shocking conclusion that I predicted all current HGTV design trends back when I was designing my dream home in a crappy design program we got for free in 1998. Which means that if I do it now, in my upcoming move, it will be awful and dated in 2 years.

Which is why I have decided to now get super into victorian hunting lodges. Red felt, green drapery, raw gray stone, mahogany and oak, and dead animals everywhere. Leather couch? gently caress you, crushed velvet.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 23, 2018

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
That's already coming back though. I'm working up the nerve to convince my partner we need wainscotting and a few mounted rifles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just go for something really timeless, like caves.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah but she's more of a limestone person and I'm a dolomite, it'd just be too much bickering.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grandma Gothic never goes out of style. Tho to be fair it never really comes into style either.

e:

Youth Decay posted:

I call this aesthetic "Grandma Gothic"

Aww yeah.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 23, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Yeah but she's more of a limestone person and I'm a dolomite, it'd just be too much bickering.

Just don't dig so deep you hit adamantine before you've had a chance to get your army built up, you'll be fine.

You know, of all the threads to get me wanting to play Dwarf Fortress again, I never thought it would be the Interior Design one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It only looks dated if you're aware of subsequent/latest trends! See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a testament to the bad taste of my house's PO that they redecorated the place before listing and the wallpaper still looked 60 years old.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm looking into re-tiling my entryway with a greyish-blue tile (I like the color and ashlar pattern in this photo), and I thought that maybe a silvery grout would look nice.

Then I sw that HGTV is pimping glitter grout this year and thought "oh, no, there goes that idea".

https://www.hgtv.com/design-blog/design/hold-up--glitter-grout-exists-and-we-re-obsessed

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 23, 2018

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just don't dig so deep you hit adamantine before you've had a chance to get your army built up, you'll be fine.

You know, of all the threads to get me wanting to play Dwarf Fortress again, I never thought it would be the Interior Design one.

Oh nooo, I used to run the DF megathread in games but I've been clean for 3 years, don't do this to me.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Anyone know how easy / hard it would be to pull up baseboards and then reattach them? The door frames and baseboards in my place ate extremely old, probably light pine but they've been painted over about 1000 times since 1926 and I was thinking of stripping and staining them.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Anyone know how easy / hard it would be to pull up baseboards and then reattach them? The door frames and baseboards in my place ate extremely old, probably light pine but they've been painted over about 1000 times since 1926 and I was thinking of stripping and staining them.

Having seen/helped my dad do it a few times, it's not as hard as you'd think. You pretty much need just a prybar and some care and patience. The one thing you'll want to keep in mind though is that when it comes to trim wood like baseboards and such, there's generally two kinds. The cheaper (read: lower-quality) kind isn't as nice looking, and is designed to be painted. The higher-quality (read: more expensive) kind is made for staining, and generally has fewer (if any) knotholes or other flaws in the wood.

Be prepared after stripping that your baseboards may not be conducive for a stain, and you may just have to put a clean coat of paint on them.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Having seen/helped my dad do it a few times, it's not as hard as you'd think. You pretty much need just a prybar and some care and patience. The one thing you'll want to keep in mind though is that when it comes to trim wood like baseboards and such, there's generally two kinds. The cheaper (read: lower-quality) kind isn't as nice looking, and is designed to be painted. The higher-quality (read: more expensive) kind is made for staining, and generally has fewer (if any) knotholes or other flaws in the wood.

Be prepared after stripping that your baseboards may not be conducive for a stain, and you may just have to put a clean coat of paint on them.

Yeah I'm okay with repainting them if it's ugly wood, even if it's just to get the lead paint out of here because there's going to be children around in the future. My main concern is actually reattaching them because this building is ancient and I'm not sure how the walls are put together.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

You could use finish nails and countersink them, or maybe use liquid nails if you have no intention of removing them ever again/want to make life miserable for the next inhabitant of your house.

I should probably also clarify that I've only ever had experience with drywall, so if you're dealing with plaster, I got nothin'. :shrug:

Good luck to you on your project, however you end up tackling it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Especially if you have children at home, note the 100% chance of you generating a huge amount of lead floating around.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Especially if you have children at home, note the 100% chance of you generating a huge amount of lead floating around.

No children present right now and I've got P100 masks, air purifiers and lots and lots of heavy grade plastic sheeting to seal things off. I'm concerned that some of the plaster may have asbestos in it as well so I'll probably send both off for testing to be safe.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

No children present right now and I've got P100 masks, air purifiers and lots and lots of heavy grade plastic sheeting to seal things off. I'm concerned that some of the plaster may have asbestos in it as well so I'll probably send both off for testing to be safe.

It’s fairly rare for plaster to contain asbestos, but if you’re worried and know how to take a bulk sample it can’t hurt.

Even if it did, you’re not demoing it, at worst you’re making nail holes, right?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BigFactory posted:

It’s fairly rare for plaster to contain asbestos, but if you’re worried and know how to take a bulk sample it can’t hurt.

Even if it did, you’re not demoing it, at worst you’re making nail holes, right?

Should've specified, the plaster treatment on the ceiling and a couple walls is most likely Artex. I'd just like to know because I'd like to remove some of it in a hallway but if it's got the chrysotile curse I'll leave it be.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I'm totally going to be Grandma Gothic. Maybe not the dark wood and carpet (??) walls, but the rest, hell yea. Already got my old master print collection started.

Also ornate antique furniture is ridiculously cheap for the quality, age and craftsmanship involved, at least here in BENELUX

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/22080103-neo-renaissance-cabinet-oak-second-half-19th-century

this one is actually quite reserved for being supposedly Louis XVI, though I am not a furniture style expert. And are there even still mahoganies in Cuba???

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/22354209-louis-xvi-hit-buffet-cuba-mahogany-mahogany-first-half-19th-century

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Yeah I'm okay with repainting them if it's ugly wood, even if it's just to get the lead paint out of here because there's going to be children around in the future. My main concern is actually reattaching them because this building is ancient and I'm not sure how the walls are put together.

At this point it's be significantly less work to remove old, buy and paint new then fit afterwards and touch up the nail holes after fitting.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What's the best way to temporarily add color to a wall in an apartment you're not allowed to repaint? How do I make wall hangings look good?

I might just staple a sheet to the wall, I'm desperate to break up the LINEN WHITE ABYSS with an accent wall

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
You could buy some canvas and just glop some colors you like on it and hang them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

vinyl wall stickers mate check etsy and/or china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suspect Bucket posted:

What's the best way to temporarily add color to a wall in an apartment you're not allowed to repaint? How do I make wall hangings look good?

I might just staple a sheet to the wall, I'm desperate to break up the LINEN WHITE ABYSS with an accent wall

Get one of those decoration projector lights. Change the color of a wall without changing the color of the wall. Rad as hell.

Is that too newfangled for you? How about going old school then.

Still not happy? Okay, have you considered PVC 3d Butterfly wall decor cute Butterflies wall stickers art Decals home Decoration room wall art? Whimsical as gently caress.

Not trolling, I have at different times used all 3 (my wall rug had a bear on it). I'm not good at home decor tho.