Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

anakha posted:

Go to the inn and axe, I mean ask someone for their tickets.
We could try asking and move on to axing if we don't like the answer.

Mydnight's Hero posted:

You leave the jetty and hurry to the tavern. This riverside inn is in urgent need of some paint and repair, yet for all its shabby outward appearance, its taproom is filled to overflowing with customers. The sound of lyre and pipe music mingles with the chatter and raucous laughter of its patrons, many of whom are river travellers bound for Seroa within the hour. You push your way through the noisy crowd and climb a flight of stairs that gives access to rooms on the upper floor. From the top of the stairs you are able to get a better view of the crowded bar room. Karvas points out two men who are standing at the tavern counter. They are dressed in dandified court costumes and they wear Sadanzo’s eagle’s-head emblem pinned to velvet berets that are resting on their coiffured heads.

‘I’d wager those two dandies have tickets for the riverboat,’ says Karvas, conspiratorially. You focus your concentration on the two men and your Kai Sixth Sense confirms that the Prince’s assumption is correct.
Shall we approach them and offer to buy their tickets or wait for them outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
wait outside. I bet we’ll need to axe these fools.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Come to the rescue of the barmaid who's being assaulted— or just wait outside I guess.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wait outside :toughguy:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mikl posted:

Hel-lo boys!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Mikl posted:

My thoughts exactly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mydnight's Hero posted:

You walk from the tavern and wait in the shadows of a nearby alleyway for the two Cavalians to leave. Soon you hear the clang of the riverboat’s bell echoing through the village. The captain is calling all passengers aboard; his boat is due to set off for Seroa in fifteen minutes’ time. You watch a steady stream of people leaving the tavern and walking to the jetty to board the boat, but you do not see the Cavalians. You are beginning to fear that you have missed them in the crowd when suddenly they emerge from the tavern. They are the last ones to leave.
Shall we offer to buy their tickets or just demand they hand them over?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Demand them, and then resort to violence when they refuse. The nice thing about them being the last ones out is nobody will see the mugging!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Demand them, and then resort to violence when they refuse. The nice thing about them being the last ones out is nobody will see the mugging!

Take their hats, too!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Shall we offer to buy their tickets or just demand they hand them over?

Offer to buy their tickets. Make them an offer they can't refuse.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I feel like we could probably just mind charm it off of them, but demanding it from them sounds like a more entertaining way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're obviously working for the bad guys. Let's take their poo poo!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

axe, I mean ask someone for their tickets.

:black101:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Demand the tickets. There’s no time to haggle.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kangra posted:

Take their hats, too!

Yeah! Let's :toughguy:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We'd like to buy your tickets. In return, you get not to be beaten half to death.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Mikl posted:

We'd like to buy your tickets. In return, you get not to be beaten half to death.

I approve.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mydnight's Hero posted:

You cross the narrow village street and approach the two Cavalian lordlings as they stroll leisurely towards the jetty. ‘Good evening, my lords,’ says Karvas, in a deep and menacing tone. ‘My friend and I wish to acquire your tickets. Kindly hand them over.’ The Prince pulls his sword a few inches from its scabbard to reinforce his demand.

Normally these two fops would blanch and faint in the face of such a threat, but a night spent drinking at the tavern has filled them with liquid courage. The taller man stares Karvas defiantly in the eye and then he begins to shout at the top of his voice: ‘Robbers! Footpads! Cut-throats!’

Karvas reacts instinctively. He punches the dandy squarely on the jaw and leaves him sprawled unconscious on the ground. His stout companion freezes and his mouth opens wide with shock. Before he, too, can scream out in alarm, you knock him out with a sharp blow to the nape of his neck.

Quickly you drag their bodies into the alleyway and rifle their pockets in a search for their tickets. Karvas finds both of them in the jacket pocket of the stout lordling, and he hands one to you. (Record the Riverboat Ticket on your Action Chart as a Special Item which you keep in the pocket of your breeches. You need not discard another item in its favour if you already possess the maximum number of Special Items permissible.)

Having now obtained what you need, you leave the alleyway and hurry back to the jetty.

You return to the jetty and show your tickets to the ticket seller. He grunts his approval and waves you aboard the riverboat. The number of your berth is written on your ticket, and you discover that you are both sharing cabin number 12 which is located at the stern. You are pleased to discover that it is one of the better cabins aboard. It has a cupboard stocked with food and wine, a washing bowl and a jug of water, and twin bunk beds with mattresses and feather pillows.

After a short while you hear the clang of the riverboat’s bell. It is a signal that the boat is about to set off for Seroa in five minutes’ time and a last call for passengers who are still in Xaia. Through the porthole of your cabin you can see the jetty and a queue of people boarding the boat. Fortunately, you do not see any Cavalians among them.

Once everyone is aboard, the gangplank is raised and the riverboat’s waterwheel begins to turn. As the boat gets underway, you lock the cabin door and settle down to a good night’s sleep.

It is early morning when you awaken. Your sleep has revived your strength (restore 3 ENDURANCE points) and left you feeling in good spirits. You wake Karvas and then you both go up on deck to enjoy the warm sunshine and watch the passing countryside. To the west, the left bank is backed by farmsteads and orchards; to the east, the ground gently rises to low, rolling, vine-clad hills. The Sero is deep, and its fast-flowing current helps propel the boat downstream at a quicker rate than could be maintained by a horse. On reflection, you are glad that you decided to travel to Seroa by this route.

The riverboat is crowded with passengers bound for the capital. From snatches of conversations that you overhear on deck, you learn that most of them are going there to see the crowning of Sadanzo. Many of your fellow travellers stand to gain in some way from his ascendance, and when you discover this fact, you and Karvas take care to avoid them as much as possible.

As darkness falls, the passengers congregate on a lower deck of the boat which serves as a gambling hall. You and Karvas remain at the rail and enjoy the sight of a waxing moon that dominates the clear night sky. ‘Tomorrow will be Harvestmas Day and the moon will be at its fullest,’ says Karvas, wistfully.

‘Yes,’ you reply, ‘and you, my lord, shall by then be rightful king of this realm.’

You leave the rail and retire to sleep, waking early the following morning with mixed feelings of excitement and apprehension. The riverboat comes within sight of Seroa by mid-morning and docks at the city’s wharf one hour before noon. You and Karvas are jostled by the other passengers as you wait on deck, for everyone is eager to disembark and hurry to Palace Square in time to see the crowning ceremony. When your turn comes to leave the riverboat, you see that the passengers ahead of you are being stopped at the end of the gangplank by two Seroan City Guardsmen. They are collecting their riverboat tickets.

Endurance: 33/37.

You and Karvas retrieve your tickets and present them to the guardsmen. As one guard takes them from you, the other tells you to leave the docking area as quickly as you can. ‘Keep this line moving,’ he bellows, and hurriedly you obey his command.

You follow Karvas through the teeming streets of the capital towards Palace Square, the grand plaza where the crowning ceremony is set to take place in less than an hour. A wide avenue of marbled stone leads towards the square, and as you hurry along it, you marvel at the aristocratic mansions and embassies that march past on either side. The sound of a fanfare echoes in the distance and you increase your pace when Karvas tells you that it signifies the arrival of Baron Sadanzo. The approach to the square itself is blocked by the crowd, but the Prince knows of another way by which you may reach it. You leave the avenue and he takes you along a narrow lane that winds through a maze of buildings in the Merchants’ Quarter. This area has been closed for the Ascendance and Harvestmas ceremonies, but you are able to climb over the barricades that have been erected to prevent entry by the crowd, and you reach the square unchallenged.

On a raised platform in the centre of Palace Square, Baron Sadanzo is preparing to kneel before Phedros, the Marshal of the Realm, the highest ranking officer in the kingdom of Siyen. He is flanked by the High Chancellor, the High Chamberlain, the Mayor of Seroa, and other Siyenese noblemen. Under the Constitution of Siyen, following the death of Oridon and the absence of Karvas, the Marshal of the Realm is empowered to bestow kingship upon the Baron.

Frantically, you and the Prince struggle through the crowd that encircles the platform. Phedros is about to place the State Crown of Siyen upon Sadanzo’s head when you leap onto the platform and bring the ceremony to an abrupt halt.

‘I am Karvas, Crown Prince of Siyen, and I demand my birthright!’ shouts the Prince to the assembled nobles. The crowd gives a gasp of astonishment which is followed by a deathly hush.

‘You are an impostor,’ screams Sadanzo. ‘The real Prince Karvas is exiled in Sheasu. I demand this man be executed for his insolence!’

Marshal Phedros approaches Karvas and takes hold of his right arm. He pulls back the sleeve of his tunic and examines the birthmark on his wrist. Phedros has known Karvas since he was a baby, and you sense that he is convinced that the mark is genuine. He raises the Prince’s arm so that the other Siyenese nobles gathered on the platform can see the crescent-shaped mark. Murmurs of dissent can be heard among the crowd, and whispers that Karvas has returned filter back to Sadanzo’s ears. The evil Baron narrows his coal-black eyes and slips a glowing green gem from the pocket of his ermine robes. Your Sixth Sense warns you that this stone is radiating strong psychic energies. Through its use, Sadanzo is able to exert a powerful control over the noblemen of Siyen who are gathered here on the platform. If you are to break the Baron’s mental hold over them, you must destroy the evil gem that is clenched in his bony fist.

Shall we try Kai-alchemy, use our bow or neither?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Kai-Alchemy has had more than enough chances to shine. Time for some fancy archery.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Kai-Alchemy has had more than enough chances to shine. Time for some fancy archery.

I agree.

I also like how the most evil option has no downsides. You rob someone then get three heath back. You make Lone Wolf proud.

moosecow333 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 18, 2018

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Why not?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We have a bow and we wish to use it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ask not for whom the bow bows, it bows for thee.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

We have a bow and we wish to use it.

Why the hell not. Let's go old-school!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mydnight's Hero posted:

You draw an Arrow and fire it at the gem in Sadanzo’s hand. The speed of your bowshot is so swift that the Baron does not have time in which to dodge your Arrow. The steel tip of the shaft grazes his fingers and hits the centre of the gem, smashing it to dust.

Sadanzo clutches his injured hand to his chest and falls to his knees exhausted. You sense that the destruction of his gem has greatly weakened him. It has also freed the Siyenese nobles from his evil influence, an influence that robbed them of their free will.

Prince Karvas denounces Sadanzo as a murderer and a traitor, and you show the scroll that you discovered in the Baron’s safe to Phedros as proof of his treachery. The Marshal gasps when he reads the damning contract and he orders the Royal Guard to arrest Sadanzo immediately. ‘Take the traitor to the palace dungeons,’ he commands. Upon hearing this, a vast section of the stunned crowd roar their approval, and sporadic fighting breaks out as followers of Sadanzo attempt to battle their way out of the square. Marshal Phedros orders that the city gates be sealed, and then he commands the Royal Court Cavalry to hunt down Sadanzo’s robber knights in every quarter of Seroa, and bring them to justice. As these noble troopers eagerly set about their task, Phedros turns to Prince Karvas and hugs him to his chest. ‘Welcome home at last,’ he says, his voice wavering with emotion. ‘Welcome home … King Karvas.’

News of Karvas’ return spreads like wildfire through the capital. Hundreds of cheering citizens enter the square and surround the platform on all sides, weeping and shouting with joy that they are to be spared the tyranny of Sadanzo’s rule. With the blessing of the gathered nobles, Marshal Phedros proclaims Karvas the King of Siyen and he places the State Crown upon his head. Gladly Karvas accepts his birthright and he rises to receive the adulation of the excited crowd. As the cheering gradually subsides, he turns to you and bids you kneel before him. You obey his command and Karvas unsheathes his sword. He dabs its blade lightly upon your head and smiles:

‘Arise, Dame Kai, for I proclaim that you are now a Knight of Siyen.’ The crowd cheer loudly, though not for their king. This time their cheers are for the Kai Grand Master of Sommerlund without whom their beloved Prince would never have claimed his throne.

You accompany King Karvas and his noble entourage to the Royal Palace where the celebration of his ascendance to the throne begins with a banquet, and concludes with a procession of royal coaches that visits every quarter of the city. The citizens of Seroa shower their new king with flowers. They also call for the swift execution of the traitor Sadanzo. The following day you learn that Karvas has granted his citizens their request for justice. Baron Sadanzo is sentenced to death, the execution to be carried out at noon in the Palace Square. Upon the platform on which he sought to be crowned king, the Baron loses his head to the executioner’s axe.

Congratulations, Grand Master. Your mission is complete. In the face of great adversity you have met the challenge and you have triumphed. You have upheld the highest traditions of the Kai with honour and dignity, and you have displayed exceptional strength and bravery throughout your ordeal. The succession of Karvas is an important victory in the war against Evil, for it has prevented the throne of Siyen, Sommerlund’s richest ally, from falling into the hands of an agent of Naar. You have earned the respect of the Siyenese people and they will never forget the debt of gratitude they owe you.

Following the celebration of his succession, King Karvas arranges for you to return home to Sommerlund by sea aboard his royal caravel. The voyage is swift and uneventful, yet upon reaching Holmgard you learn of a new and deadly threat that has arisen to challenge the Kai. If you wish to confront this threat, the nature of the challenge will be revealed in the next exciting Lone Wolf New Order adventure, entitled:

Rune War

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 18, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Final Stats for Book 23

Name: Braveheart
    Combat Skill: 51 (35)
    Endurance Points: 33/37
    Kai/Magnakai/Grand Master Disciplines:
  1. Grand Weaponmastery (+5 CS w/ axes & spears, +5 RN w/ bows)
  2. Deliverance (Once every 20 days, if EP < 9, restore 20 EP - used over 20 days ago)
    Curing (Restore 1 EP per numbered section, used 0/10 times this book)
  3. Kai-surge (+8 CS, -1 EP/round)
    Mindblast (+4 CS)
  4. Kai-alchemy (Lightning Hand; Levitation; Mind Charm; Sense Evil; Silence)
  5. Grand Huntmastery
  6. Elementalism
  7. Grand Pathsmanship
  8. Animal Control
  9. Invisiblity
  10. Psi-screen
  11. Nexus
  12. Divination

Weapons:
  1. Bow
  2. Spear
    Belt Pouch (money)
  • 25 Gold Crowns
  • 8 Nobles
    Backpack:
  1. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  2. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  3. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  4. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)

5. Meal
  6. Meal
  7. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  8. Meal
  9. Meal
    Special Items:

1. Quiver (five arrows)
  2. Alema (axe; +5 CS or +7 CS vs. undead)
  3. Temujun's Ring
  4. Crystal Prism

5. Talisman of Defiance (+2 CS)
  6. Eye of Lhaz (control venomous snakes)

7. Tehda Key
  8. Sadanzo’s Scroll
Total Deaths: 3
    This book:
  1. Convicted on some pretty flimsy circumstantial evidence.

Storage:
  • Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tiggum posted:

The voyage is swift and uneventful, yet upon reaching Holmgard you learn of a new and deadly threat that has arisen to challenge the Kai. If you wish to confront this threat, the nature of the challenge will be revealed in the next exciting Lone Wolf New Order adventure, entitled: 

It's been what, three books since our Kai Master left the monastery? And based on the text, it seems like it's gonna stretch out to 4 books.

Did we offend Lone Wolf or something? Seems like he keeps finding stuff for us to do instead of going straight home.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 18, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This book is pretty forgettable to me. The race against time doesn't really work because you know that nothing you can do will change the outcome. There aren't really any memorable characters or encounters, and the major antagonist only appears in person right at the end and can be defeated without even fighting him.

There is one neat twist though, and that is that there are two endings. Sort of. You get to the final section (350) regardless of which way you go, but if you make the wrong choice just near the end then you can arrive too late and have to fight King Sadanzo before Karvas can be crowned. There's no real difficulty there because everyone instantly supports Karvas as soon as Sadanzo's mind control is broken, but it's a nice surprise to find that it is actually possible to arrive too late.

And getting that other ending does potentially involve my favourite bit in the entire book. You can take the boat as we did, in which case the ending hinges on whether or not you got a ticket. Mug or Mind Charm the two dudes in the pub and you'll get a ticket. Bribe the ticket seller and he'll just let you onto the boat without one. The delay this causes in getting off the boat makes you arrive too late.

If you go by road then you arrive at the city to find "a long queue of travellers who are waiting patiently to enter the city". This is my favourite part of the book because the correct course of action is to join the line and wait patiently. Queue-jumpers get exactly what they deserve - thrown immediately into prison. :colbert:

But aside from that one there are basically no meaningful decisions in the entire book. Everything is entirely linear, with no side quests or alternate paths. As a story it's bland and generic, and as a game it's distinctly lacking in interactivity. It's a real step down from the last couple of books - although at least it lacks the extraordinary racism of the previous one.

As a bonus, starting with this book, I'm making flow charts showing the paths, decisions, gains, losses, skill-checks, fights, etc. Mainly for my own use as I'm not at all familiar with the New Order series and the flow charts on Project Aon don't tell you much, but I figured I may as well share them as we finish each book. So here's the chart for Mydnight's Hero. If you happen to spot any errors, let me know and I'll fix them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rune War

Rune War posted:

The Story So Far … 

You are a Grand Master of the New Order of the Kai—the warrior élite of Sommerlund.

It is the year MS 5083, thirty-three years after the First Order of the Kai was almost wiped out by the Darklords of Helgedad. These champions of evil, who were sent by the Dark God Naar to destroy your fertile world of Magnamund, have since been destroyed. Lone Wolf, the leader of your illustrious fighting order, was the sole survivor of the massacre. As a young Kai initiate he stood amidst the burning wreckage of the old Kai Monastery and vowed to avenge the slaughter of his comrades. In the year MS 5070 he kept his pledge when alone he infiltrated the foul domain of the Darklords and destroyed the infernal city of Helgedad, the base of their evil power.

With the fall of Helgedad, chaos befell the Darkland armies who had, until then, been poised to conquer all Magnamund. Quickly their disorder escalated into a mutinous civil war which allowed the Freeland Alliance armies of Magnamund time in which to recover and launch a successful counter-offensive. Against all odds, a swift and total victory was secured over the feuding armies of evil.

Following the demise of the Darklords, peace reigned in your homeland of Sommerlund. Under the direction of Lone Wolf the ruined Monastery of the Kai was rebuilt and restored to its former glory, and the raising of a New Order of Kai warriors was swiftly established. You are one of this new generation of Kai recruits. You were born in Sommerlund in the year MS 5063, during the time of the war against the Darklords. When you were seven years old you were sent by your father to the Kai Monastery. There, under the tutelage of Lone Wolf, you developed your martial skills and honed the special Kai abilities which lay dormant within you. During the years that followed, your skills were nurtured and sharpened to perfection by long hours of study and rigorous training. Your exceptional talent helped you master all of the Kai and Magnakai Disciplines, and you rose swiftly through the ranks of the New Order to become one of only five who now hold the high rank of Kai Grand Master. It is an achievement which has brought great honour upon you and your family.

In the year MS 5077 your skill and courage were put to the test when an attack was launched upon the Kai Monastery during Lone Wolf’s absence. By means of a Shadow Gate (an astral corridor between the physical world of Magnamund and the many ethereal domains which lie beyond it), Naar sent forth a host of dragon-creatures to besiege the monastery and lay waste to all Sommerlund. He had chosen his time well, yet his evil plan was thwarted by the tenacious defence that you and your cohort maintained until the siege was raised by Lone Wolf and the King’s Army of Sommerlund.

During the six years that have elapsed since the defeat of his minions, Naar has endeavoured to enact his vengeance upon the Kai. He commands many agents of evil upon Magnamund, and quietly they wait in the shadows for the day when they can serve their fell master. One such agent was Baron Sadanzo of Siyen. The Kingdom of Siyen is one of the richest countries in the continent of Southern Magnamund, and it is also one of Sommerlund’s oldest allies. Sadanzo had its ruler, King Oridon, brutally assassinated so that he could lay claim to the throne in the absence of Prince Karvas, Oridon’s only son, who lived in exile upon the remote Isle of Sheasu. The Baron was a disciple of Naar and he possessed a sorcerous power that had turned the minds of the Siyenese Court to his will. By use of sorcery he made them support his ascendance to the throne. It was a dangerous threat to Siyen, yet all was not lost. The constitution of Siyen decreed that Prince Karvas had, upon the death of his father, 60 days in which to lay claim to his rightful heritage. Only if he failed to return in time would Sadanzo be elected the new King.

Lone Wolf promised to prevent Baron Sadanzo from usurping the throne, but it was a pledge that only you could fulfil. At the time of King Oridon’s assassination, you were engaged upon a mission in Southern Magnamund and were closer to the Isle of Sheasu than any other Kai. Upon successful completion of your mission, Lone Wolf ordered you to forgo your return to the Kai Monastery and journey instead to Sheasu to seek out the exiled Prince. Your new mission was to find Karvas and escort him safely home in time to claim his throne and thwart Sadanzo’s plan. Despite great adversity you succeeded; Prince Karvas was duly elected King and the evil Baron Sadanzo and his followers were put to the sword. In recognition of your courage and your invaluable help in saving his realm from Sadanzo’s tyranny, the newly-crowned King Karvas made you an honourable Knight of Siyen. He also placed Golden Star, his royal sailing ship, at your disposal to help speed your return home to Holmgard—the Sommlending capital.

Shortly after dawn on a cool mid-autumn morning, the sleek royal Siyenese clipper glided into Holmgard harbour. Despite the early hour, an escort of the King’s Guard were standing by in readiness to convey you by carriage directly to the Kai Monastery where you were greeted and warmly congratulated by your fellow Grand Masters. You also received glowing praise from Supreme Master Lone Wolf for successfully completing your missions and for upholding the finest traditions of the Kai. It felt good to be home after so many months abroad and you were looking forward to settling back into the routine of the monastery. But your hopes were soon dashed when, later that day, you were summoned by Lone Wolf to a private audience with him in his chambers. The news he had to impart came as an unexpected shock.

‘We must prepare for a crusade, Braveheart,’ he said, as he unfurled a large vellum map of central Magnamund and spread it upon the granite floor of his vaulted chamber. ‘War rages anew in the Stornlands, and its ravenous flames threaten to devour our allies within the Freeland Alliance.’

Lone Wolf unsheathed his mighty sword—Sommerswerd—and, using the tip of its golden blade, he pointed to a landlocked realm west of the great River Storn. ‘This is Eldenora, the source of the problems we must face. Since the fall of its former ruler, Prince Lutha, a new lordling has arisen to snatch the reins of this lawless realm. He is not of noble birth, yet he has crushed all royal opposition and taken upon himself the title Lord Vandyan of Eldenora. Earlier this year he swelled the ranks of his army with regiments of Magadorian and Ogian mercenaries. After having falsely accused his peaceful neighbour—Delden—of violating Eldenoran territory, he stationed these mercenaries along his northern border. When Delden mustered its army to counter the threat, Vandyan accused them of aggression and promptly declared war. The campaign was swift and brutal; Delden’s army was broken in battle and its people are now enslaved by this tyrant. Emboldened by his martial success, Vandyan carried the war further afield. Magador, its defences already weakened by the defection to Eldenora of its best mercenary regiments, was the next to crumble. By mid-summer Vandyan’s army had crossed the River Storn and captured Salony. Word reached us from neighbouring Lyris that a steady stream of fresh troops were arriving from Eldenora to bolster the ranks of its occupying armies. Clearly Lyris, with its ancient city of Varetta, was the next jewel to be added to Vandyan’s shameful crown of conquest.’

Lone Wolf interrupted the briefing to open a door to an adjoining antechamber, and through this doorway shuffled an old man clad in a hooded robe of dyed brown linen. ‘May I introduce you to Gwynian the Sage,’ said Lone Wolf, reverently. ‘He has travelled from Varetta to seek our aid.’

The name Gwynian was well known to you, for this wise sage had helped Lone Wolf on many occasions in the past and his name was revered by the Kai. But this was the first time you had met him in person and you felt greatly honoured. In turn, Gwynian praised you for the victories you had achieved since becoming a Kai Grand Master. Upon Lone Wolf’s invitation, he approached the map and took over the briefing.

‘Since my arrival here, sadly I have learned that my beloved city of Varetta is besieged by Vandyan’s horde,’ he said, with quiet solemnity. ‘Lone Wolf has already told you that the Eldenorans are receiving a constant supply of reinforcements. This fact alone would be of grave concern, but it is the nature of these troops that disturbs us more. They are neither human nor mercenaries. They are Vorka, a fighting breed of Agarashi that became extinct following the destruction of their master—Agarash the Damned—several millennia ago … or so we had believed. Now the Vorka have reappeared in great numbers. They are armed, trained, and utterly subservient to the commands of Lord Vandyan.’

As Gwynian continued the briefing, you learned that the war had escalated greatly since the arrival of the Vorka. To the south, Eldenoran armies had seized the city of Tekaro and were marching across the Slovarian Plain, driving the battle-weary Slovians before them. To the west, Vandyan’s armies had invaded Palmyrion and were within reach of Vanamor, the capital. Lone Wolf informed you that Guildmaster Banedon had travelled to Palmyrion by skyship to assist its ruler, Elector Manatine, muster his country’s defences. With his help the Palmyrions were holding the enemy at bay, but with hundreds of Vorka reinforcements arriving unchecked, it was simply a matter of time before Vanamor would be overrun.

‘The Vorka are the key to Vandyan’s military successes,’ said Lone Wolf. ‘If we are to defeat him and save our allies, then we must cut off his reinforcements at the source.’

‘This is so,’ replied Gwynian, ‘and we do know from where the Vorka have sprung.’ The sage stooped and pointed with a gnarled finger at the middle of the vellum map. ‘Our agents have reported they come from here … Duadon. It is the Eldenoran capital. Thousands of Vorka have been observed marching out from this walled city to bolster Vandyan’s armies in the field, yet no Vorka have ever been seen entering the city from elsewhere. This can mean but one thing: the Vorka horde is being created somewhere within Duadon itself.’

‘But how?’ you asked, incredulously. ‘Is Vandyan a great sorcerer?’

‘No, he is not a sorcerer, great or otherwise,’ replied Gwynian, knowingly. ‘But he has discovered an ancient force that was thought to be lost forever. There is only one power in Magnamund capable of creating the Vorka: the power of the runes. Vandyan has discovered the lost Runes of Agarash the Damned.’

Gwynian told of how, millennia ago, Agarash the Damned had battled with the Elder Magi in a war that had lasted for more than a thousand years. Nearing the end of this epic confrontation, as his vitality waned against the goodly magic of the Elder Magi, the evil Agarash encapsulated the essence of his remaining powers into tablets of obsidian and crystals of jet. Agarash knew that he was doomed, but if he were able to preserve some of his powers in this way, so that they could be used by future disciples of Naar upon Magnamund, then the legacy of his terrible rule would survive beyond him. Three obsidian tablets were engraved with marks, or runes, to distinguish their fell origin, while a further seven crystals were fashioned into likenesses of the Kai Lorestones and called Doomstones in mockery of those goodly gems of power.

‘Since the demise of Agarash, some of the Doomstones have surfaced to ensnare and empower Naar’s lowly agents,’ said Gwynian. ‘But the Doomstones cannot create Vorka. Only the runes hold this power. It has long been believed that they perished with Agarash himself in the destruction of Naaros, his legendary stronghold. Now, it seems, they have finally surfaced once more … and have fallen into the hands of Lord Vandyan.’

Lone Wolf vowed that he would help Gwynian raise the siege of Varetta and secure for him the freedom of Lyris. The New Order Kai were told to prepare for a crusade against Eldenora, and valuable help was provided by High-Mayor Kordas of Casiorn. At his own expense, this rich merchant ruler raised an army of mercenaries in Anari, Firalond, and Kakush, and he sent them to the town of Quarlen to prevent the enemy from crossing the River Quarl. These mercenaries are skilled soldiers and have been paid handsomely, but they lack gifted leaders. It was agreed that the Kai would provide this leadership, with Kai Grand Masters and lesser ranks assuming command of mercenary regiments upon their arrival in Quarlen.

‘Three days hence, we begin the ride to Quarlen,’ said Lone Wolf. ‘Armed with our knowledge, our courage, and our Disciplines, I vow we Kai shall turn back the tide of evil that now threatens to consume our allies.’

+1 CS & +2 EP for finishing Mydnight's Hero brings us to:

Combat Skill: 52 (36)
Endurance Points: 39/39

Our upgraded Disciplines this time are:

Deliverance: Repair the effects of natural decay in materials such as wood, stone, cloth, metal, etc.
Elementalism: Summon up a dense, misty vapour to obscure themselves from both normal vision and infravision.

Telegnosis: Locate a known or familiar material object.
Astrology: Can use cards, dice, crystal spheres, etc. to predict future.
Herbmastery: Neutralize any poisonous toxins that may be present in organic materials.
Bardsmanship: Basically cast Mind Charm as a bard spell.

And we are choosing from Animal Mastery, Assimilance, Astrology, Bardsmanship, Herbmastery, Kai-screen, Magi-magic (Old Kingdom Magic), Grand Nexus and Telegnosis (Advanced Divination). We also get another weapon type to add to our Grand Weaponmastery list.

For equipment we get 29 Gold Crowns (for a total of 42 Gold Crowns and 8 Nobles in our Belt Pouch and another 12 Crowns in storage), a new map, and up to five of the following:
  • Axe
  • Sword
  • Quiver (6 arrows)
  • Lute
  • Dagger
  • Bow
  • 2 Meals
  • Rope
  • Broadsword

So we need votes on
  1. A new Discipline
  2. New Weaponmastery
  3. New equipment
  4. What to put into storage
  5. What to take from storage

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Kai-screen, master Dagger, top off arrows and take Laumspur.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Sounds like a good plan.

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin
Jul 19, 2000

Oven Wrangler
Sounds like a sneaky quest, so voting Laumspur, arrows, dagger, and Assimilance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Animal Mastery, master the Dagger, take the Laumspur and put it and one Alether into storage.

Also,

That is a goddamn ridiculous sword there, Lone Wolf. Look at that crossguard! Yellow really doesn't suit you either.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Animal Mastery, master the Dagger, take the Laumspur and put it and one Alether into storage.

Going to go with this. Though I think you're confusing the horse's ear/background flag with the actual crossguard.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

We missed the best moment in Mydnight's Hero. The flute solo.

quote:

You call upon your Magnakai Discipline of Psi-screen to counter the attack and it does so, successfully. But Karvas has no such protections and you sense that a psychic assault this powerful, and at such close quarters, could leave him either paralysed or dead within a matter of seconds.

If you possess Bardsmanship and have attained the rank of Kai Grand Sentinel, turn to 81.

quote:

Quickly you retrieve your Flute from your Backpack and play a sequence of ultrasonic notes to counter the psychic assault that is battering you and Karvas. The effect is immediate and dramatic. The Prince revives and is able to pull himself upright on his horse. The Inquisitor-major and his fellow hunters, however, do not fare so well. They are immune to the sound of their own horn, but you use your Kai skill to turn the tables on them. Your notes occur at a higher frequency, one to which they are not immune. You watch with grim satisfaction as they wheel their horses about and gallop away in a desperate effort to put distance between themselves and the piercing sound of your Flute, which is filling their heads with an agonizing clamour.

Bardsmanship is so good that it even conjures a flute into your backpack whether you have one or not (although another version of that scene does check for it).

For the next discipline: Bardsmanship
Master: Ultrasonic flute solos (or dagger, if that's not an option).
Equipment: Take all the lute that we can.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Tiggum posted:

So we need votes on
  1. A new Discipline
  2. New Weaponmastery
  3. New equipment
  4. What to put into storage
  5. What to take from storage

1. Kai-Screen
  2. Dagger
  3. Replenish Arrows; Rope
  4. Sadanzo's Scroll, Tehda Key, two Meals
  5. Nothing

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Decoy Badger posted:

Though I think you're confusing the horse's ear/background flag with the actual crossguard.

Ah dang, you're right. That's much less silly now that I can see the actual crossguard. Oh well.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Joe Dever posted:

You have upheld the highest traditions of the Kai

Getting friendly NPCs killed, wrecking poo poo, stealing horses and mugging rich arseholes. Sounds about right!

Tiggum posted:

This book is pretty forgettable to me. The race against time doesn't really work because you know that nothing you can do will change the outcome. There aren't really any memorable characters or encounters, and the major antagonist only appears in person right at the end and can be defeated without even fighting him.

I liked what looked like it was going to be a change from the Euro-knights-in-armour aesthetic when the steampunk-Orientalist guys with the laser tiger statue showed up, but that turned out to only last a few paragraphs. Boo.

achtungnight posted:

This but Grand Nexus.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Sadanzo's Scroll, Tehda Key, two Meals

Action Chart

Name: Braveheart
    Combat Skill: 52 (36)
    Endurance Points: 39/39
    Kai/Magnakai/Grand Master Disciplines:
  1. Grand Weaponmastery (+5 CS w/ axes, daggers & spears, +5 RN w/ bows)
  2. Deliverance (Once every 20 days, if EP < 9, restore 20 EP - used over 20 days ago)
    Curing (Restore 1 EP per numbered section, used 0/10 times this book)
  3. Kai-surge (+8 CS, -1 EP/round)
    Mindblast (+4 CS)
  4. Kai-alchemy (Lightning Hand; Levitation; Mind Charm; Sense Evil; Silence)
  5. Grand Huntmastery
  6. Elementalism
  7. Grand Pathsmanship
  8. Grand Nexus
  9. Animal Control
  10. Invisiblity
  11. Psi-screen
  12. Divination

Weapons:
  1. Bow
  2. Spear
    Belt Pouch (money)
  • 42 Gold Crowns
  • 8 Nobles
    Backpack:
  1. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  2. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  3. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  4. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  5. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  6. Meal
  7. Meal
  8. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)

Special Items:

1. Quiver (six arrows)
  2. Alema (axe; +5 CS or +7 CS vs. undead)
  3. Temujun's Ring
  4. Crystal Prism

5. Talisman of Defiance (+2 CS)
  6. Eye of Lhaz (control venomous snakes)

Storage:
  • 12 Gold Crowns
  • Meal
  • Meal
  • Tehda Key
  • Sadanzo’s Scroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rune War posted:

Lone Wolf’s announcement that the Kai must prepare for a crusade in the Stornlands galvanizes the monastery into a frenzy of activity. Eagerly the members of the New Order set about their duties, and the preparations for the march to Quarlen are completed within two days as planned. On the morning of the third day, the Kai assemble in the training park in full battle-dress. A deathly hush descends upon the gathering as every Kai, from lowly initiate to Grand Master, listens with trepidation as Lone Wolf reads aloud a list of names. One in five of all those present must stay to defend the monastery, and Lone Wolf’s list contains the names of the one hundred Kai he has chosen to remain behind. As each of these warriors is called, so they leave the assembled ranks to take up guard positions on the battlements and towers. Graciously they accept their lot, though none are glad to have been chosen.

The march begins shortly before noon. Lone Wolf rides at the head of the column, in the company of nine who comprise yourself, your four fellow Grand Masters, Gwynian the Sage, and a trio of Kai Mentoras who proudly hold aloft the battle-banners of the Kai, the Royal Arms of Sommerlund, and (in Gwynian’s honour) a scarlet standard bearing the crossed swords of Varetta. The long ride south offers many Sommlending a rare opportunity to see the Kai travelling together in battle-order. Word of your coming spreads quickly through towns and villages that lie on your route, and hundreds turn out to wave and cheer as you pass.

Favoured by cool dry weather, the column makes swift progress as it crosses the Southlund Marches and enters the remote province of Ruanon. Within a week you have reached Casiorn, the City of Merchants, where fresh provisions and a comfortable billet are provided by High-Mayor Kordas. Lone Wolf learns from Kordas that Vandyan’s armies have now seized control of Lyris and are grouping along the River Quarl in preparation to push east towards Casiorn itself. Kordas’ mercenaries are holding a defensive line along the river’s east bank, having destroyed all the bridges at Quarlen to hinder the enemy’s advance. Their commander, Lord Nathuro of Anari, is keenly awaiting the arrival of the Kai. Less encouraging is the news from Varetta. The city has endured a cruel and relentless bombardment from Vandyan’s hordes and has suffered many casualties, yet its ancient walls still stand and stoically its citizens are keeping the besieging enemy at bay. The news that Varetta has not fallen raises Gwynian’s spirits, but few, including the sage himself, expect the city to survive unaided for much longer.

The column departs from Casiorn early the following day and rides due west towards Quarlen. For four days you follow the highway towards your destination and, with each passing day, so the number of refugees that you encounter steadily increases. Most are Lyrisian, but there are also Deldenian and Salonese among their numbers. Forced out of their homes by the war, they have salvaged what few possessions they can carry and have crossed the River Quarl. Now they are settled in tented encampments all along the fertile valley which separates the Slovarian and Quarlen mountains.

‘Regard these people well,’ commands Lone Wolf, as the column rides past their makeshift settlements, ‘and remember that their survival, and the survival of thousands like them, depends upon the swift success of our crusade.’

You are four days out of Casiorn when, shortly after noon, the column reaches the outskirts of Quarlen. Many of the mercenary regiments of Anari, Firalond, and Kakush are encamped around its fortified wall and they give a rousing cheer when your banner is first sighted by their lookouts. Proudly Lone Wolf acknowledges their salutes as he leads the Kai through the town’s East Gate and along a wide street which descends towards the River Quarl. The column is signalled to halt when it comes to a large square, and quietly you await Lone Wolf’s order to dismount. This square is located close to the eastern approach to a wide stone bridge that no longer crosses the river, its central span having been destroyed to prevent the enemy from using it. Three Anarian officers arrive on foot and request that Lone Wolf and Gwynian accompany them to a nearby tavern where the mercenary commander, Lord Nathuro, has set up his headquarters. Lone Wolf agrees to their request, but before he goes he orders that you and your fellow Grand Masters secure good stabling and billets for the Kai in the buildings which border upon this square.

Within the hour, you have carried out Lone Wolf’s orders in full. Your own billet consists of a room above a tailor’s shop that you share with Bright Star, a friend and fellow Grand Master. You are preparing a meal when a messenger arrives with an order from Lone Wolf for all Grand Masters to join him at once at the Barrel Bridge Tavern—Lord Nathuro’s headquarters.

Upon entering the tavern’s spacious taproom, Lone Wolf immediately introduces you and your comrades to Lord Nathuro and his captains. A Council of War has already taken place and Lone Wolf has settled with Nathuro which of his regiments the Kai are to command. He hands lists of these units to Bright Star and the other Grand Masters, and then he orders them to go and inform the Kai of their command postings. You are wondering why you have not been handed one of these lists as you get ready to leave the tavern, but as you turn to go, Lone Wolf orders you to remain. Soon you discover why it is that you have not been allocated a regimental command.

When the other Grand Masters have left the taproom, Lone Wolf tells you of an important mission that he and Gwynian want you to undertake. Agents in the Eldenoran capital of Duadon have confirmed that the Runes of Agarash are being kept in the city’s stronghold, a daunting fortress called Skull-Tor. Lone Wolf wants you to travel alone to Duadon and make contact with Gwynian’s agents. They know a secret route into the fortress and they will help you to gain entry. Once inside, you must find and destroy the runes as quickly as you are able. Upon completion of this task, the agents will assist you to escape from Duadon and will take you to a place of safety.

‘This is a very dangerous mission, Braveheart,’ says Lone Wolf gravely, ‘yet it must be undertaken and it must be completed successfully if we are to rid the Stornlands of Vandyan and his foul Vorka hordes. It is the only key we have to a lasting victory. You have proved yourself to be brave and resourceful these past few months and I would not think ill of you if you were to decline this mission. But of all the Kai, I know that only you possess the inner strength and resolve to fulfil this vital task. Grand Master, will you accept the mission?’

The thought of venturing hundreds of miles behind enemy lines to undertake such a dangerous quest fills you with a sense of dread. Yet you feel greatly honoured to have been chosen for this mission and you do not flinch from your duty. ‘I accept, my lord,’ you reply firmly.

Gwynian, Nathuro, and the assembled mercenary captains all breathe a collective sigh of relief upon hearing your response. Lone Wolf smiles and nods his head. ‘So be it, Grand Master. The road ahead is sure to be a difficult one, but I am confident you shall prevail.’

Lord Nathuro and his officers salute you and bid you good luck, and then they leave the tavern and assist with the transfer of their regiments to Kai command. Lone Wolf and Gwynian bid you accompany them to an adjoining chamber where you are given further information about the mission. With the help of a map of the Stornlands, Gwynian shows you that the quickest route to Duadon is by way of the River Quarl. You are to travel downriver by boat to a place beyond the city of Tekaro where the Quarl flows into the great River Storn. Here, preferably at night, you must cross to the west bank of the Storn, abandon your boat, and then enter the Grochod Forest on foot. This is Eldenoran territory and Lone Wolf warns you that any persons or creatures that you encounter in Grochod Forest will most likely be hostile. Under cover of the trees, you are to trek north through the timberlands until you reach the southern approaches to Duadon itself. The city gate is likely to be guarded well, but you must enter without being seen.

‘Once inside Duadon,’ says Gwynian, ‘make your way to Flank Street. It is in the Northern Quarter. There you will find a cooperage, a barrel-maker’s shop, which is run by a man called Hulsta and his wife, Delissa. They are my agents and they are loyal to our cause. They are awaiting the arrival of a Kai and you may make yourself known to them by using the words: “A barrel made from Sommlending oak”. Be sure to use these exact words for they will respond to no others. Hulsta will show you how to enter Skull-Tor where you must locate and destroy the runes and escape as quickly as you are able. If you are successful, we shall know of it immediately. By breaking the runes you will extinguish the source of the power by which the Vorka are permitted to exist. When Vandyan’s fell army dissolves, we shall be able to raise the siege of Varetta and defeat any Eldenoran who dares remain upon Lyrisian soil.’

Having finished your briefing, Gwynian and Lone Wolf show you to a room at the rear of the tavern where some items of clothing have been laid out for your inspection. Lone Wolf tells you to take off your helmet and Kai battle-armour and exchange them for the plain green tunic, breeches, and cloak of a Kai journeyman that lie draped across a table.

‘These clothes will serve you well,’ he says, as he buckles the clasp of your cloak. ‘They are far less likely to attract unwelcome attentions during your journey to Duadon.’

Having exchanged your clothes, you are provided with a meal and told to stay here in this room until midnight—the time when your mission is set to begin. Lone Wolf and Gwynian bid you good luck and leave the room to allow you to rest. You manage to get a few hours’ uneasy sleep before Gwynian returns shortly before midnight. The sage escorts you from the tavern and leads you down to the waterfront, to a wharf where a battered little sailboat lies tethered alongside a river barge. At first glance this sailboat looks completely unseaworthy, but upon closer inspection you see that it has been carefully camouflaged with broken timbers and ripped canvas to give the impression that it is a wreck. Stowed on board are a pair of oars and enough food and water for the voyage downstream to Tekaro. You board the boat and Gwynian casts off the mooring rope, bidding you good luck and godspeed as gently the current carries you away.

The waters of the Quarl are fast-flowing and you have no need of sail nor oar to propel you. By means of the rudder, you are able to steer the boat and let the current carry you swiftly downstream towards your destination. When dawn breaks you are able to take stock of your surroundings. You are making good progress and you calculate that it should take you no more than three days to reach Tekaro. The first day passes uneventfully and you are able to relax and enjoy the views of the fertile countryside that fringes the Quarl. But as darkness begins to fall at the end of the second day, you catch sight of something in the distance that sets your pulse racing. As you round a bend, you see a stone bridge spanning the river little more than a mile downstream. A line of burning torches is fixed along its parapeted walls, and armed guards are positioned on either side of its span. A look at your map tells you that this bridge carries the road that connects the towns of Woeld and Tido, and when you magnify your vision, you see that the guards are enemy soldiers. They wear studded leather jerkins and have the circle-and-star emblem of Eldenora engraved upon their conical steel helmets. To your dismay, an eagle-eyed lookout posted at the centre of the bridge sees your boat approaching. He alerts his fellow guards and quickly they line up along the parapet of the bridge and unshoulder their bows. One of their number blows a shrill whistle which attracts the attention of a second group who are moving through the trees which border the right bank. Your stomach churns when you catch your first sight of these troops for they are not human—they are Vorka. These lizard-like creatures move with a sinister grace which betrays their ancient origins. A cold fire glows in the depths of their sharp, blinking eyes, and their scaly bodies are bedecked with fragments of armour, mostly rotting leather and chainmail looted from the bodies of their slain foes.

As your boat drifts inexorably towards the bridge, you see the Eldenorans are getting ready to fire their first volley. The tips of some of their arrows are wound round with strips of oily cloth and they have been set alight. Hurriedly you look for some means of avoiding these archers and their Vorka cohorts, but only the river’s wooded left bank seems devoid of the enemy.
Shall we steer for the left bank, or continue to drift toward the bridge?