Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, both of them do enjoy telling people that they're Kira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

unironically the best one I'v seen yet.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

someone could feasibly skip at least half of part 3 and possibly not know that they did barring maybe half a second of confusion as to where exactly they are in the world, except half of it is in egypt anyways so even that is suspect

I have a confession. I skipped half of part 3. It wasn't confusing at all once I knew who the people were.

incredible....

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

I just started watching death note, and I’m wondering if part 4’s Kira and Sheer Heart Attack is somehow a coincidence or if it’s a reference

Kira = Killer

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Has part 5 peaked? Once the dance started, I just had my mouth in the biggest wide open smile through the whole thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a lot to look forward to in part 5

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
If I say yes, will you stop watching?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Willsun posted:

Has part 5 peaked? Once the dance started, I just had my mouth in the biggest wide open smile through the whole thing.

Part 5 is a lot like 4 where the beginning is the weakest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The blind thing everyone was laughing about seemed to make perfect sense? He was breaking Mista's line of sight so he could dodge out of the way and escape through the back, and it would have worked just fine if not for Sex Pistols.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

The blind thing everyone was laughing about seemed to make perfect sense? He was breaking Mista's line of sight so he could dodge out of the way and escape through the back, and it would have worked just fine if not for Sex Pistols.

Its just funny because Mista has sex pistols and the move ends up being useless. Its also really well comedically timed, Mista takes a little beat before shooting blindly. Its definitely meant to be laughed at, even if it makes sense.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah but it was also hysterically funny.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

It does but the execution and timing of it is just really funny.

Willsun posted:

We have only just begun to GangStar.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The guy's Stand ability is being able to lower any set of blinds on the first try without getting them stuck.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Willsun posted:

Has part 5 peaked?

In my personal opinion, the "good part" of Part 5 hasn't even started yet.

Not to say that what we've seen so far is bad, but Vento Aureo has high peaks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The guy's Stand ability is being able to lower any set of blinds on the first try without getting them stuck.

「Blinded by the Light」

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Meme Emulator posted:

Part 5 is a lot like 4 where the beginning is the weakest.

I heavily disagree with this, but to expand upon the actual weakest bit of this part would be anime spoilers so I won't.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, I don't wanna be a killjoy but it seems a little cruel to hype VA up as the arc that only gets better as it goes on.

VA: the highs are some of the highest in the series, the lows are, well, you'll see

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I would love if we could see the lows first rather than manga readers come in like panicky soothsayers

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
And honestly some of the people talking about "lows" were probably burned by the lovely scanlation

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The direction so far has been really stellar so I feel like the show will continue to be tense and funny even if the source material is worse.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Daxing Dan posted:

If I say yes, will you stop watching?

JoJo is like breathing air to me so no

Also is Hol Horse's Emperor just a better version of Mista's Sex Pistol? Emperor doesn't need to be fed/satisfied, can be summoned from thin air, and can seemingly control its bullets freely in any direction. Not saying I don't like Sex Pistol's awesome Pokemon direction but unless there's more abilities the anime hasn't shown yet, who wouldn't rather have Emperor instead?

Oh yeah and very Asian of Mista to be superstitious about the number 4 as an Italian man.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Willsun posted:

Also is Hol Horse's Emperor just a better version of Mista's Sex Pistol? Emperor doesn't need to be fed/satisfied, can be summoned from thin air, and can seemingly control its bullets freely in any direction. Not saying I don't like Sex Pistol's awesome Pokemon direction but unless there's more abilities the anime hasn't shown yet, who wouldn't rather have Emperor instead?

Oh yeah and very Asian of Mista to be superstitious about the number 4 as an Italian man.

Sex Pistols can control 6 bullets at once. Plus it can be used to scout, which Emperor can’t be.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Willsun posted:

The main thing that makes Sex Pistols powerful is that the bullet gremlins can all operate completely independently of each other and Mista himself. They are not limited to only acting on bullets, and they are not limited by what Mista knows or can think of. Emperor is only as powerful as Hol Horse is clever, which is why he never wins.

Heck, just in this episode, Hol Horse would have been completely stopped by the blinds, but Mista can just shoot his gremlin bullets in there and let them handle the rest. In terms of raw abilities, Emperor has a lot of advantages, but when it comes to the kind of fights that happen in JoJo, Sex Pistols is far superior.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hol Horse has Mista beat in that Hol Horse always has a loaded gun no matter, but even if Mista doesn't, he still has six more pairs of eyes and limbs than his opponent which gives him way more options. He may have to coerce the little buggers into working, but I don't think Sex Pistols would ever just leave Mista high and dry, they seem to enjoy their work

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Also, they're my friends and I love them, but yeah Sex Pistols is really great when you think of them as six extra team members.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Emperor is also a support Stand who works best as someone's number two, so whilst they're staring each other down Mista can be shived by a ghost or whatever

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/sunfkowers/status/1063695363217993728

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

multijoe posted:

The Emperor is also a support Stand who works best as someone's number two, so whilst they're staring each other down Mista can be shived by a ghost or whatever
Mista also wins here cause Giorno would always be two hundred feet away screaming at Mista about the ghost too far out of earshot

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Willsun posted:

From what I can tell, Emperor is pretty much straight up better due to a number of advantages like infinite ammo. Though Sex Pistols being sentient gives the ability to avoid things like how Hold Horse lost the Boingo encounter.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 18, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the thing about stands is that ranking them on power levels is completely irrelevant. A guy who can stop time and also has super strength got beaten by a rat with a gun.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
hey guys just letting you know the canonical winner of the dance meme has been found

https://twitter.com/Johni0329/status/1064034005165604864

Wrestlepig posted:

the thing about stands is that ranking them on power levels is completely irrelevant. A guy who can stop time and also has super strength got beaten by a rat with a gun.

creating rules for anything in jojo is an exercise in frustration and futility

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

:eyepop:

As an anime-only lad (slowly catching up by buying those nice hardbacks as they are released), the dance loving blew my mind.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wrestlepig posted:

Stand stats make no sense anyway.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ixjuvin posted:

:eyepop:

As an anime-only lad (slowly catching up by buying those nice hardbacks as they are released), the dance loving blew my mind.

I want to read the manga but I feel bad reading it in a way that the creator doesn't get paid but official english translations are still only halfway through Stardust

I am about to download a pdf translation of Steel Ball Run and just send Araki like 20 bucks in the mail or something

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I want to read the manga but I feel bad reading it in a way that the creator doesn't get paid but official english translations are still only halfway through Stardust

I am about to download a pdf translation of Steel Ball Run and just send Araki like 20 bucks in the mail or something

way more than halfway; the next to last volume of Part 3 is out, with the final one coming soon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think one of my favorite things about reading the manga after the anime is realizing the plot holes arent trying to condense the manga into a show as much as Araki never giving a poo poo ever

Like, I thought the show deliberately cut out Smokey Brown for most of Battle Tendency to save time but then it was like "oh no, Araki just legit forgot about him for most of it"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Viz finished Part 3’s manga aaaaaaages ago actually, well before anyone in the west actually gave a poo poo about JoJo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ChaosArgate posted:

Viz finished Part 3’s manga aaaaaaages ago actually, well before anyone in the west actually gave a poo poo about JoJo.

I assumed they were talking about the current hardcover releases

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Willsun posted:

Emperor is maybe one of the best stands in the entire series, imo. It's insanely powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
.....i.....extremely disagree